BajaNomad

Silver linings

chippy - 3-20-2020 at 04:12 PM

Fuel prices down here are plummeting. Magna was 15.98 per litre or 2.52 usd to the gallon and diesel was18.93 per litro 2.98:bounce:. Only bummer is we are going into lockdown mode down here also:(.

John Harper - 3-20-2020 at 04:25 PM

Gas prices, property values, all of it will drop. Deflation. Too few dollars chasing too many goods. Massive wealth has evaporated, seemingly overnight.

Welcome to the Coronavirus Depression. The train has stopped, no one imagined that could happen. A new opportunity for Economics PhD dissertations, for sure.

At least we have a bit better concept of economic tools than 1930, but it might still be worse due to the unprecedented total shutdown, as small business will be devastated, making recovery difficult. This is an unprecedented economic shock.

Tremendous wealth inequality in America does not help, and it may possibly get much worse, if foreclosures mount and more of the middle class become a permanent part of the "renter" class, no longer able to build wealth.

Only the wealthy at that point will be scooping up those assets, dirt cheap. The light at the end of the tunnel could be an oncoming train.

Let's hope not.

John

[Edited on 3-20-2020 by John Harper]

Paco Facullo - 3-20-2020 at 04:35 PM

Silver lining you say,,,, The Los Angeles traffic has been like this since the 60's !

Howard - 3-20-2020 at 04:35 PM

Where was the Magna at 15.98 a liter? The beginning of the week it was 18.8 in Ensenada. Wow, how rapidly everything is changing.

chippy - 3-20-2020 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Where was the Magna at 15.98 a liter? The beginning of the week it was 18.8 in Ensenada. Wow, how rapidly everything is changing.[/rquote

In Colima, Colima. It was 19 a couple of weeks ago.

Silver Linings in Tough Times

MrBillM - 3-20-2020 at 04:45 PM

" Smoke em if you got em. "

Arriving home this afternoon and sitting down with the latest American Rifleman, I found (on page 35) something I hadn't seen in a long while:

A full-page ad for Winston Cigarettes .......... " Because it's still legal TO HAVE FUN. Some people don't want you to have fun. We aren't those people. Since 1954, we've just been making quality smokes so you can enjoy yourself ".

One wonders if it's just coincidental that it comes in these uncertain times. Historically it has been the case that people "don't worry about what might kill you years later when you are liable to die tomorrow".

bajarich - 3-20-2020 at 04:45 PM

My silver lining was exchanging my pesos for dollars two weeks ago for 18.25. It probably takes a few more pesos now.

Paco Facullo - 3-20-2020 at 05:00 PM

Ya, at this point on, enjoy every moment and everything you can, Booze and good wine, smokes, those extra cookies, fattening food, who cares ?
IF you dig it do it !!!

Just include watching nice sunrise and or sunset's....

JZ - 3-20-2020 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Gas prices, property values, all of it will drop. Deflation. Too few dollars chasing too many goods. Massive wealth has evaporated, seemingly overnight.

Welcome to the Coronavirus Depression. The train has stopped, no one imagined that could happen. A new opportunity for Economics PhD dissertations, for sure.

At least we have a bit better concept of economic tools than 1930, but it might still be worse due to the unprecedented total shutdown, as small business will be devastated, making recovery difficult. This is an unprecedented economic shock.

Tremendous wealth inequality in America does not help, and it may possibly get much worse, if foreclosures mount and more of the middle class become a permanent part of the "renter" class, no longer able to build wealth.

Only the wealthy at that point will be scooping up those assets, dirt cheap. The light at the end of the tunnel could be an oncoming train.

Let's hope not.

John

jfc. Get a grip. It's gonna be ok.

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by JZ]

Plata, o plumo?

AKgringo - 3-20-2020 at 05:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
My silver lining was exchanging my pesos for dollars two weeks ago for 18.25. It probably takes a few more pesos now.

You got silver, I wound up with lead! When I left La Paz in early March, I made sure I had plenty of emergency cash for the drive north. Unfortunately, I decided not to exchange them when I crossed since I would be SOB again very soon.

Wrong on both counts!

John Harper - 3-20-2020 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Not everyone has the privilege of being a CEO right now. You're the last to get laid off at times like this. You'll be okay, I'm quite sure.

I hope I'm wrong, but this is unprecedented, we'll see. It will eventually end, the wreckage is still to be determined. Keeping small businesses alive is critical.

My high school is closed, and all the businesses around it are suffering, there is a ripple effect. High school teachers, classified help, and 2500 students food orders provided substantial income to local business. Even during the 2008 recession schools stayed open. Think about it. This is worse.

I did have a grip on the throttle of my Harley yesterday, and gave it a firm twist. Yee Haw!! First good day of weather in a couple weeks. Almost went for the ton, but decided not worth the ticket.

John

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by John Harper]

bezzelle - 3-20-2020 at 05:45 PM

Man Friday gets sick ... whatchou gonna do?? :bounce:

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by bezzelle]

4x4abc - 3-20-2020 at 06:13 PM

Let's hope not.

John

an event like Corona has been predicted as "black swan" some years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Swan:_The_Impact_of_...

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by 4x4abc]

John Harper - 3-20-2020 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

A full-page ad for Winston Cigarettes .......... " Because it's still legal TO HAVE FUN. Some people don't want you to have fun. We aren't those people. Since 1954, we've just been making quality smokes so you can enjoy yourself ".

Have you seen the one with the guy on the old Yamaha YZ400, no helmet, ripping through the backcountry, smoking a grit. I love it!!! I want a framed picture of that one.

There is so much wrong with that picture that it's awesome!!!!

John

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by John Harper]

Wild Ride

MrBillM - 3-20-2020 at 07:25 PM

It's in the magazine ad. Complete with CYA:

* Photographed on private property. Winston does not recommend riding a motorcycle without a helmet.

mtgoat666 - 3-20-2020 at 07:52 PM

Let's hope not.

John

South Korea and China stopped their virus thru hard work and competent take-charge leadership.
Trump dilly-dallied for weeks, the virus spread throughout the USA in those weeks, and ca, ny and il had to step up and lead the clampdown for their own citizens after trump failed to lead and act.
Expect the trumpian surge of patients to flood the hospitals in next few weeks.

AKgringo - 3-20-2020 at 07:55 PM

Remember the old Rainier beer commercial? Mt. Rainier in the background, and a motorcycle shifting through three gears....Rayyyyyy-Neeeeeer-Beeeeer!

motoged - 3-20-2020 at 08:28 PM

Let's hope not.

John

Do you have the GPS co-ords for that?

John Harper - 3-21-2020 at 05:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Remember the old Rainier beer commercial? Mt. Rainier in the background, and a motorcycle shifting through three gears....Rayyyyyy-Neeeeeer-Beeeeer!

Yes I do. I also remember Joe c-cker came through the checkstand at the Safeway I worked at in high school. He was staying at a ranch outside town, and was with a couple women friends. Only thing he bought was two 24 packs of Rainier Beer and a pack of smokes. I was, of course, thrilled to meet him.

John

Another (future) silver lining!

AKgringo - 3-21-2020 at 10:40 AM

When the bulk of this pandemic has run it's course, stores, yard sales, and outlet stores are going to be discounting hoarded or over ordered hand sanitizer.

It is my favorite campfire starter when you don't have good dry kindling! It packs well, sticks to the wood you are trying to light, does not flare up, doesn't smell bad, and is good for other uses. It is also the best agent for removing pitch from you or your dog's hair.

motoged - 3-21-2020 at 11:01 AM

Can I use it as a chaser for tequila .... to put a flame on top of the shooter?

Say hello to Bay Lee /Bailey.... (sp?)

chuckie - 3-21-2020 at 11:09 AM

Why in the worldwould you flockup good tequila or bad tequila by settin it on fahr?

AKgringo - 3-21-2020 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Actually, her name is "Bayleaf" (long story) but it has morphed to "Bailey".

I am thinking about putting "Corona" on her collar in big letters. I know she would respond to it, and it might keep infected strangers from petting her!

I'm getting used to this social isolating thing!

BajaMama - 3-21-2020 at 11:36 AM

Yep, trumpet certainly dropped the ball on this one. NO leadership until his handlers finally convinced him covid-19 is not a "democratic hoax." Unfortunately we will most likely have more cases per capita than any other country, which, IMHO is why trumpet is doing all he can to delay widespread testing (those numbers will crush his re-election chances).

Along with the hand sanitizers garage sales will have a lot of hoarded toilet paper.

Although leadership has tossed any opportunity to get a quick handle on this, I think we will bounce back. People will understand, forgive, and offer kindness when this lockdown is behind us. I can't imagine a restaurant's landlord insisting on back rent during this time. And hopefully the trillion dollars that is supposed to be distributed will help this who will be out of work for a bit to buy groceries and such.

bezzelle - 3-21-2020 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Yep, trumpet certainly dropped the ball on this one. NO leadership until his handlers finally convinced him covid-19 is not a "democratic hoax." Unfortunately we will most likely have more cases per capita than any other country, which, IMHO is why trumpet is doing all he can to delay widespread testing (those numbers will crush his re-election chances).

Along with the hand sanitizers garage sales will have a lot of hoarded toilet paper.

Although leadership has tossed any opportunity to get a quick handle on this, I think we will bounce back. People will understand, forgive, and offer kindness when this lockdown is behind us. I can't imagine a restaurant's landlord insisting on back rent during this time. And hopefully the trillion dollars that is supposed to be distributed will help this who will be out of work for a bit to buy groceries and such.

the toilet paper thing???
garden hose! redneck bidet!!

Bajazly - 3-21-2020 at 11:55 AM

My home made version with 30% aloe might be better for that:biggrin:

Mexi Hand Sanitizer.jpg - 188kB

AKgringo - 3-21-2020 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

I can't figure out how to post it here, but a friend e-mailed a picture of his homemade product. He put it in a Corona bottle with a pump top!

Bajazly - 3-21-2020 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

I can't figure out how to post it here, but a friend e-mailed a picture of his homemade product. He put it in a Corona bottle with a pump top!

Might be something to be said for marketing that right quick.