BajaNomad

Americans living in Mexico; are you packing up to leave?

Hook - 3-21-2020 at 08:18 AM

What is your thinking, at this point, with the new border restrictions? Are you packing up? "Shuddering" in place?

Quite honestly, the border restrictions really dont affect us, in terms of being able to return to the US. The first identified definition of essential travel on the recently published DHS publication is Americans returning to the country. Hopefully, you will find it attached below.

Lots to consider here. Especially if you would be returning to a state that is in total lockdown.

Your thoughts? Maybe include where you are in Mexico.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.g...

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by Hook]

jedge42 - 3-21-2020 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
What is your thinking, at this point, with the new border restrictions? Are you packing up? "Shuddering" in place?

We are staying put in northern Los Cabos (8km south of Los Barriles). We are hoping to break ground on our house next week, which may be spectacularly bad timing, of course ...

keeping our distance from other humans and hoping for the best ...

jake

RocketJSquirrel - 3-21-2020 at 09:17 AM

I think I am safer here. Besides, I LIVE here.

Edit to correct spelling

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by RocketJSquirrel]

AKgringo - 3-21-2020 at 09:27 AM

I crossed northbound on March 6th, with the intention of returning to La Paz to complete some dental work in May or June. Given the developments over the last couple of weeks, that trip is postponed, but I wish I had stayed down south until the work was completed!

There are so many unknowns, but based on what information is available at this time, La Paz may be safer than parts of California! Having said that, if I was to be infected with the virus I would rather be home than far, far away traveling with a dog!

I have been in contact with my dentist, and have asked her to forward any local information that she may have access to through the medical community there.

Edit; My dentist just replied that postponing my work is the right thing at this time, and she may be closing her office for a while after she finishes the appointments she has now. There are no known cases where she is, or where I am now, but we both expect that to change!

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by AKgringo]

Bajazly - 3-21-2020 at 09:47 AM

I'm with the Squirrel on both counts. Going back would be starting over, again.

Alan - 3-21-2020 at 09:56 AM

Went to La Paz on Monday with plans to stay until mid-April. After State Department warning issued Thurs to return immediately or be prepared to stay away indefinitely, I decided to return home right away and came home yesterday. I really think I was safer in Baja but at times like this I felt it best to be with family. Additionally if I was to contract the virus I feel US healthcare is better able to meet my needs. At the very least I can communicate better with them.

The other issue was the availability of airlines. Luckily to get home was a domestic flight for me LAP-TIJ but even then one never knows when or if that would shut down. Many international flights have already be discontinued. I figured the sooner I got into the petri dish of an airline the better as more and more people become carriers each day.

I also had the option of simply driving home at my leisure as my country has to let me in though I might have had to spend some time in quarantine. Besides when the hoards start scavenging supplies through my neighborhood I didn't want my daughter having to shoot them all herself! :biggrin::biggrin:

bajapedro - 3-21-2020 at 10:02 AM

If I were in Baja, and I am not, and if I were fairly confident that I had not been exposed to CV-19, I would stay put. Think risk of contracting the virus with boarder closed would be significantly less than being in States, CA and WA in particular. Crossing boarder and traveling North to Canada also would be at a higher risk too. If I were staying in Baja, I would exercise social distancing or self quarantine myself and family to decrease risk of exposure to the virus. Doing this in Baja, would not mean the same as here in CA.
Now of course, the risk is, if you get the virus, where is the better place for medical care?
Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Hook - 3-21-2020 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajapedro  
If I were in Baja, and I am not, and if I were fairly confident that I had not been exposed to CV-19, I would stay put. Think risk of contracting the virus with boarder closed would be significantly less than being in States, CA and WA in particular. Crossing boarder and traveling North to Canada also would be at a higher risk too. If I were staying in Baja, I would exercise social distancing or self quarantine myself and family to decrease risk of exposure to the virus. Doing this in Baja, would not mean the same as here in CA.
Now of course, the risk is, if you get the virus, where is the better place for medical care?
Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

We are doing what you are suggesting, with respect to social interaction. But we are still biking with others, hiking with others, ATVing and kayaking. Pickleball is possibly done, even though it's easy to disinfect the ball and wear gloves.

But I suspect that no one in Mexico really knows how many cases there are down here. Could there really be very many test kits down here?

BTW, if the border wait times can be believed, both San Ysidro and Nogales in AZ are the emptiest I have ever seen them for this time of day, especially it being a weekend.

I guess I never realized how many Mexicans were day tripping into the States and shopping. That appears to have stopped completely.

Oh yeah, all the Canadians cleared out last week. So, there's that, too.

I expected a big rush of Americans, after the announcement yesterday. Doesnt seem to be materializing.

[Edited on 3-21-2020 by Hook]

AKgringo - 3-21-2020 at 10:25 AM

Hook, I do not live in Mexico at this time, but I replied to this post because the reason I scheduled dental work in the summer is so that I could check out areas that I am considering for at least part time residency.

If I was already there, I would hold in place. but make sure that I could drive to the border without having to restock my food, cash, or gasoline!

I would not go through an airline terminal or sit in an airliner. Of all the 13 cases that have presented in Alaska, the patients were either recent air travelers, or co-workers they infected since they returned.

Hook - 3-21-2020 at 10:39 AM

Yeah, we are a 4-5 hour drive to the border. So, we dont have to use any public transportation.

I cant imagine being on a full bus for hours. Possibly the worst scenario.

AKgringo - 3-21-2020 at 10:42 AM

I was thinking more of an interruption of the supply chain, in addition to "social distancing".

pacificobob - 3-21-2020 at 10:43 AM

Staying put. And feeling just fine about the choice.

mtnpop - 3-21-2020 at 11:24 AM

First time in many years did not make it to the winter home in Mulege. Couple weeks ago started planning for late April -June trip and maybe to Lapaz for dental work. Looks like that just got kicked inna butt...
Would have been pretty quiet with all the Canucks and Americanos already gone...
Oh well maybe next fall. It's been hard holding our breath this long.
Now trying to find salad fixins but too many folks decided to get their 20 year supply last week so nothing left on the shelf...
gotta luv em.
Wash your hands and use your blinkers now.....

chippy - 3-21-2020 at 11:50 AM

I´m packing up my truck right now! To head to a nice isolated beach for the day:biggrin:. We are staying put.

chuckie - 3-21-2020 at 12:04 PM

I think anyone who is in Baja who has rescources to subsist and can stay sort of isolated should stay there. Things in the Norte are going to continue to degenerate. Too many cooks in the kitchen making decisions cant be enforced for very long. Health care system will likely collapse before long. Cowboy up and stay put....

AKgringo - 3-21-2020 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Of all the 13 cases that have presented in Alaska, the patients were either recent air travelers, or co-workers they infected since they returned.

You happen to know where those "recent air travelers" were arriving from (i.e. a hotspot)?

I read somewhere that the aircraft air filtration systems are pretty good, so there may not be as high a risk within the actual aircraft as insinuated by the idea that if someone sneezes, it's going infect all the passengers via the air.
:?:

If you want to visit the state information site, here is the link; http://www.dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Pages/COVID-19/default...

In short, 14 cases so far, 9 travel related (defined as outside Alaska) 5 local contact. Other news reports indicate that at least a few of the infected travelers were from trips to the lower 48 states.

I would not be concerned about the air flow in an aircraft, but the close contact with hard surfaces, seats and facilities along the entire route from departure to the destination. Not the least of my worries would be seated next to someone who is not displaying symptoms yet!

Hook - 3-21-2020 at 01:59 PM

24,100 total cases in the US, right now.

Only 171 have been declared fully recovered. 288 have died.

That's astounding! About 23,600 still dealing with it.

But, since they aren't letting anyone into the hospital unless they are having serious or critical symptoms, how are they able to determine who is fully recovered from only mild symptoms?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Skipjack Joe - 3-21-2020 at 02:46 PM

Staying put in Mexico for now until the cases rise in Baja. After that I will be heading back to Oregon. Coming down with coronavirus at my age in Mexico is a veritable death sentence. I live in a small village.

Bajazly - 3-21-2020 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
24,100 total cases in the US, right now.

Only 171 have been declared fully recovered. 288 have died.

That's astounding! About 23,600 still dealing with it.

But, since they aren't letting anyone into the hospital unless they are having serious or critical symptoms, how are they able to determine who is fully recovered from only mild symptoms?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

That and the recovered and in critical condition numbers seem to stay the same for days while all the other numbers go crazy.

bajarich - 3-21-2020 at 03:32 PM

It's a small world. I crossed over about two weeks ago after my wife requested I come home. I was isolated on a small beach and there is a small cafe about 6 miles away that I could ride my ebike over too. While at the cafe I was talking to an older couple from Vermont about the Corona virus. They told me they had just gotten home from China in December and narrowly missed the virus. They just as well could have brought it back with them. This is 25 miles down a dirt road in Baja.

azucena - 3-21-2020 at 03:35 PM

Skipjack
That is my plan. I am here until it does not look like a good place to be. I am an hour out of Los Cabos in a isolated area, so feel pretty good about where we are. Main thing is to avoid exposure. First few cases have been reported in Los Cabos.
One issue is that due to cancellations of flights, motels etc, the economy is already getting hard hit with mass layoffs. This could become an issue.
I am hoping to wait it out long enough for things to get better up there, but quien sabe?

The health system here will be UNABLE to cope with rising cases. I do not want to be here IF I get sick, so just trying to stay well!

PaulW - 3-21-2020 at 04:14 PM

Staying here in San Felipe until the snow melts and the panic subsides up north. Be her for another month or so.

Skipjack Joe - 3-21-2020 at 04:31 PM

What gets me is that we have people coming down from virus lockdown areas to unaffected villages without any prior testing. That is just irresponsible in my opinion.

They're willing to potentially affect an area just to avoid the monotony of a quarantine? Give me a break.

capitolkat - 3-21-2020 at 08:58 PM

WE are in La Paz and a few days ago we got panicky and checked around about changing our return, but calmed down a bit and kept our return , scheduled for late April. A friend in health service in the US who has visited us several times said stay where you are. To return home we have to fly through Guadalajara spend the night, fly to Chicago, take a cab or UBER to the train station and about an hour and half on the train.

too much exposure right now and if April rolls around and it's not much better we'll stay longer. lots of reading to catch up on, etc.

defrag4 - 3-21-2020 at 09:30 PM

Stocked up and hunkered down in Loreto, figure I have just as good of a chance here than anywhere if shtf

its a fairly small population and ~4 hours from the next big city with 100s of miles of desert/mountains to bug-out out of the back door.

I have the vehicles and RV all gassed up, food and supplies for ~2 months, ready to hit the road if needed.

But lets hope I dont need any of it.

[Edited on 3-22-2020 by defrag4]

rhintransit - 3-21-2020 at 09:51 PM

In Loreto, heading north on Monday. Originally I felt fairly safe, easy to self isolate, supplies stocked, etc. I was planning to leave in late April anyway and thought I would be good until then. However, with the level 4 warning AND all the travelers who kept appearing (examples I have personally heard: my daughter couldn’t get a flight back to the states from Europe so she flew here; my son decided he wanted a break from Seattle so he flew in, a guy with a German accent and luggage wandering around asked me where a house number for his visit was, etc) I’ve decided to go NOB, where at least some people are staying put. The planes keep flying in, the numbers of arrivals are fewer, but still they come...and this community has few medical resources

4x4abc - 3-22-2020 at 07:20 AM

if you live in a small community in Baja - stay put. You have good chances to ride it out unharmed.
If you live in Los Cabos - RUN! It will be one of Mexico's hot spots.
La Paz might be next

rogbag - 3-22-2020 at 07:23 AM

We're staying in Los Barriles. We live here full time...no house to go back to. Feel much more secure here and can stay pretty isolated. Hope the tourists don't flood the town for Semana Santa. Plenty of supplies to be had at the local stores right now. And our new house is under construction, so we want to stick around for that.

mtgoat666 - 3-22-2020 at 07:34 AM

The people dying of respiratory failure are dying alone. Because covid-19 is so contagious, family/friends are not allowed into hospital rooms, and the mortally sick have no choice but to die alone. So choose your medical provider carefully, they could be your only company when you are on death bed!

Always look on the bright side of life!

jedge42 - 3-22-2020 at 07:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
if you live in a small community in Baja - stay put. You have good chances to ride it out unharmed.
If you live in Los Cabos - RUN! It will be one of Mexico's hot spots.
La Paz might be next

I think maybe you mean: If you live in a city in Los Cabos - RUN!

There are lots of small communities in Los Cabos (Miraflores, Santiago, Cabo Pulmo, Buenavista, ...)

Los Cabos is not just Cabo San Lucas and San José del Cabo ... I get a little tired of it all being lumped together ...

jake

Paco Facullo - 3-22-2020 at 07:44 AM

If I end up on my "death bed" the company I'm keeping is my past Fathers 38 cal. Smith & Wessen chrome plated/pearl handle revolver.

If I'm suffering too much, it will be the last thing I see.

Quite a fitting way to go out.

I sure hope I'm NEVER in that situation BUT ya never know and we all should have contingency plans in order.........................

queseyo - 3-22-2020 at 08:02 AM

Yep, the wife, our dog and I are laying low in Loreto for awhile. Noticeable change here in this last week or so. Some popular restaurants (like the brewery!) have closed for announced 2 weeks, way slow in town for this time of year, that's good. Watching the curve and waiting to see what Semana Santa brings. In the meantime fishing for gordo YT is pretty good (grilled a pechuga last night), long beach-combing walk to Drs Point yesterday, kayaking manana....la buena vida!.. hopng to find out how deep the snow is at 7200' in the Uintas where our summertime cabin is, we can usually drive in by mid April.
Talking to family daily and hoping they stay well. Our plans could change quickly.

DIWR17 - 3-22-2020 at 09:43 AM

Conditions in San Jose del Cabo.

Art District is a ghost town. Had dinner at Garden of Secrets last night. We were the only patrons in there. Staff had rubber gloves on. LuPita only other restaurant open. They are both closing today for indeteriminate amount of time.

Saturday morning farmers market done. For Sale signs all around the lot.

Palmilla is at 3% capacity and half the staff were told to go on vacation. That means only 300 staff for 16 guests. Would assume the other hotels are the same if not closed.

There are a few gringo stragglers walking around.

We expect maybe just Zippers, Drinking Time and Shooters will be the only places open in another week. Laguna Vista Canucks gotta have someplace to go eh?

Grocery stores are still well stocked and we don't expect that to change.

Right now we are planning to stay till at least June. Summit County in Colorado is closed for business, totally, so no need to run back there right now.

Should check and see if our International Health Insurance covers the viroos.:)

mtgoat666 - 3-22-2020 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DIWR17  
Conditions in San Jose del Cabo.

Art District is a ghost town. Had dinner at Garden of Secrets last night. We were the only patrons in there. Staff had rubber gloves on.

Gloves or not, I would not trust take-out or eat-in food. If the cook or server has no symptoms they may still be contagious, if they got it, then you probably got it!

These days cooking at home is safer!

Alm - 3-22-2020 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

These days cooking at home is safer!

As it is on any other day. When you make your own meal, you know what's going in there.

defrag4 - 3-22-2020 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
In Loreto, heading north on Monday. Originally I felt fairly safe, easy to self isolate, supplies stocked, etc. I was planning to leave in late April anyway and thought I would be good until then. However, with the level 4 warning AND all the travelers who kept appearing (examples I have personally heard: my daughter couldn’t get a flight back to the states from Europe so she flew here; my son decided he wanted a break from Seattle so he flew in, a guy with a German accent and luggage wandering around asked me where a house number for his visit was, etc) I’ve decided to go NOB, where at least some people are staying put. The planes keep flying in, the numbers of arrivals are fewer, but still they come...and this community has few medical resources

All the reports from my friends up north say people are disregarding the stay home warnings as well, out and about everywhere, lined up in packs to get into grocery stores, trailheads are packed, etc

Stupidity is international

defrag4 - 3-22-2020 at 11:47 AM

Drove around town yesterday and it was life as usual for the locals, all the gringo restaurants are shuttered up and the pricey gringo grocery store was a well-stocked ghost town, which made for the perfect Covid buying experience! :P

Paco Facullo - 3-22-2020 at 12:58 PM

[/rquote]

Gloves or not, I would not trust take-out or eat-in food. If the cook or server has no symptoms they may still be contagious, if they got it, then you probably got it!

These days cooking at home is safer![/rquote]

Only safe way to eat "take out" is bring it home . sanitize the bag and or packaging put it in the refrigerator for about 3 days then consume.

I just picked up a quart of great chili, so i'm doing the 3 day thing then separate into servings and freezing them ...

chippy - 3-22-2020 at 01:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

[/rquote]

Only safe way to eat "take out" is bring it home . sanitize the bag and or packaging put it in the refrigerator for about 3 days then consume.

I just picked up a quart of great chili, so i'm doing the 3 day thing then separate into servings and freezing them ...

Paco I don´t don´t know if thats a good idea.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/features/2020/03/19/How-lon...

This is probably a better idea:light

https://www.siasat.com/how-kill-coronavirus-learn-chinese-ex...

HEAT!

[Edited on 3-22-2020 by chippy]

Paco Facullo - 3-22-2020 at 01:59 PM

Thanks Chippy ,,,, You may have just saved my life !!! who knows ?

Good to know, I'll now heat it well BEFORE consumption....

[Edited on 3-22-2020 by Paco Facullo]

Do you store extra gasoline?

AKgringo - 3-22-2020 at 02:33 PM

I do, and it came in handy when P.G.E. shut off power to our area last fire season. The few stations that were still able to pump had horrendous lines and some ran out!

The same thing would happen in Baja even more quickly if the supply or transportation was interrupted by unforeseen developments, or a government policy to limit public movement.

If I run out of T.P., or my foods of choice, I will figure out an alternative, but I am not set up to distill some 90 octane!

Just remember that modern gasoline has a short shelf life, so it needs to be rotated once in a while. As one of my vehicles gets low enough to dump five gallons in the tank, I will use some of the older fuel and head to the station with the empty can to freshen my stashed supply.

[Edited on 3-23-2020 by AKgringo]

BajaBlanca - 3-22-2020 at 02:35 PM

After giving it MUCH thought, I have come to the conclusion that with staying at home except for grocery shopping, this is the safest place on Earth for us. We have family in California (nahhhh), Poland / England/ Wales (nahhhh), Brazil (where my Mom and my sister are "stuck" ...nahhhhh)

If we were to get sick, we just signed our own death sentence. Baja Sur will be hit very soon. May God take good care of all of us! Would they even let us into the States if we came up positive for corona virus?

[Edited on 3-22-2020 by BajaBlanca]

azucena - 3-22-2020 at 05:28 PM

Blanca

This should not be taken as fact, but this is what I heard today:

If you arrive to cross the border and appear ill, they will check your temp. If you appear ill or have symptoms there is a quarantine center near San Diego staffed by the miitary where you will be taken for quarantine. Again, this has not vetted!!

One person we heard crossed with no symtoms and was told to self isolate for 14 days, which is what everyone is doing in California anyway.

Either way, things are changing so rapidly anything could be different very quickly!
Best to you and Les and stay healthy!

Grenadiers - 3-23-2020 at 02:11 PM

We just bought a house in Mulege and plan to hunker down for quite awhile. Locals think that the beaches south of here will be closed to Semana Santa. Hope they do. Still have the overland vehicle to escape. We’re selling it if anyone is interested.

AB2FFA75-70EF-459D-BDD7-B760C0C40741.jpeg - 35kB

Paco Facullo - 3-23-2020 at 02:17 PM

Good call, probably a better place than most.

Looks like Don Chano's RV Park ?

Super nice rig ya got there !

[Edited on 3-23-2020 by Paco Facullo]

Skipjack Joe - 3-23-2020 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
After giving it MUCH thought, I have come to the conclusion that with staying at home except for grocery shopping, this is the safest place on Earth for us. We have family in California (nahhhh), Poland / England/ Wales (nahhhh), Brazil (where my Mom and my sister are "stuck" ...nahhhhh)

If we were to get sick, we just signed our own death sentence. Baja Sur will be hit very soon. May God take good care of all of us! Would they even let us into the States if we came up positive for corona virus?

Blanca,

I figure we have about 6-8 weeks before the first cases appear in our area, Asuncion and Abreojos. What do you think?

By then we will be in lockdown here and we may last longer if we fish for our own food and eat from our gardens.

Hopefully, some medication will be available to help us with an infection, if not cure us but we'll have to go to the US for that.

Stay or go, I think our chances are good - certainly better than Italy's. The stories coming from there are just heartbreaking. There is such an onslaught of sick that they don't have the facilities.

pacificobob - 3-23-2020 at 05:49 PM

6 to 8 weeks? I would like to know how that number was arrived at.
An infected person could be in the village now..infecting others...

Skipjack Joe - 3-23-2020 at 06:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
6 to 8 weeks? I would like to know how that number was arrived at.
An infected person could be in the village now..infecting others...

Sure, there could be. And I'm not saying there isn't. Here's my reasoning:

We are now in the position that the US was about 3-4 weeks ago. There were a few cases in Washington State but the rest of the country was still clean. Now in Baja we have cases on the border, Tijuana and Mexicali, but the rest of the peninsula is untouched. People move up and down that peninsula at a much slower rate than along the interstates in the US. That is, fewer people move down the peninsula. Still fewer people move between highway 1 and the outlying villages of Asuncion and Abreojos.

So it's all probability. A fraction get infected. A fraction of that drives south. A fraction of that intersect with people on the coast.

So as you say it could all happen tomorrow but the chances are unlikely. So if it took 3 1/2 weeks to get to where it is now I give Asuncion 6-8 weeks. No guarantees though. Have to be ready to pick up and move if necessary.

As my Mexican neighbor says - we can beat this. We'll buy several sacks of rice, catch corbina every morning, sugar, water, and hunker down with just his near family. Under those circumstances you can last a long time, even when everyone else around you is infected. In a small village like this it can be done. Loreto, La Paz, etc is a different story.

Anyway, it's hard to say now what it will be like in the future. There are too many variables.

Mother of Dragons - 3-24-2020 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Grenadiers  
We just bought a house in Mulege and plan to hunker down for quite awhile. Locals think that the beaches south of here will be closed to Semana Santa. Hope they do. Still have the overland vehicle to escape. We’re selling it if anyone is interested.

Helga is a beast! I still can get over her size!

Paco Facullo - 3-24-2020 at 08:51 AM

Helga ,,,,,, I LOVE IT !!!

How fitting ..........

motoged - 3-24-2020 at 09:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
......about 3-4 weeks ago. There were a few cases in Washington State but the rest of the country was still clean. Now in Baja we have cases on the border, Tijuana and Mexicali, ...../rquote]

Igor,
I follow your reasoning....but....the rest of the States were NOT clean.....they just were not being tested ......

This thing changes so quickly, predictions are out of date before they leave one's mouth.

Be well.

[Edited on 3-24-2020 by motoged]

Mulege Canuck - 3-24-2020 at 09:09 AM

We headed out of Mulege early and just got back home to B.C.

On the way north all of our BLM sites in California we stay at, were packed with young dudes partying like rockstars. Not much social distancing 😎

Paco Facullo - 3-24-2020 at 09:14 AM

Ahhhh to be young and Stupid .....

Feathers - 3-24-2020 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

The odds are in your/our favor by staying put. I'm not going to waste a minute worrying about it. Bummer about your mom and sis!!! How long are they stuck in Brazil?

pacificobob - 3-24-2020 at 11:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

[/rquote]

HEAT!

The unnamed Chinese expert is bogus. Check out snopes.com ,and use the hairdryer to dry hair.

chippy - 3-24-2020 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

[/rquote]

HEAT!

The unnamed Chinese expert is bogus. Check out snopes.com ,and use the hairdryer to dry hair.

Hahah. I would if I had any. I wouldn´t use the hairdryer/sinus method. I was just pointing out that heat does kill the virus. Freezing does not.

Alm - 3-24-2020 at 04:37 PM

If you put it in the fridge for 3 days and keep using fridge every day, it will spread to your hands and other items in the fridge before it dies out.

Chili is one of the easiest meals to make at home. The biggest part is sifting/sorting dirt and rocks out of local beans.

Hook - 3-28-2020 at 07:05 PM

Appears that the US Ambassador to Mexico is strongly urging Americans living in Mexico to return home ASAP.

He is also encouraging all US citizens to join the STEP program, mentioned and linked in the attached story.

He will be conducting a webinar next Tuesday, answering questions from American citizens, online.

This is a FREE story from Mexico News Daily and does not count against your monthly allotment.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/ambassador-urge...

BajaBlanca - 3-30-2020 at 05:55 AM

Skipjack - I gotta tell ya, on the one hand the store has hand sanitizer and asks everyone to disinfect hands as they enter. Brilliant!

On the other, families are still getting together for parties, including some local Americans who live here. What part of stay at home did they not hear?

:o

Feathers! First off, miss you even though you are 3 minutes away if I drive real slow!

My Mom and Sister are there pretty much indefinitely. Beautiful apartment and Mom is forbidden from leaving. My sister Chris is VERY BOSSY. Mom has no choice but to stay put.

But there is no sign of Corona virus at all here in La Bocana. Nor Punta Abreojos, as far as I know. Plenty of sand beaches with not one soul walking. So far, so good.

brucedog - 3-30-2020 at 10:19 AM

We decided to leave La Ventana last week and head for home in Oregon. We had enough supplies for two months and our plan was to stay put. What changed out minds is that we wanted to be closer to our kids in USA in case they need us. Also heavy on our minds was the possibility of supply chains being severely disrupted just around the time that we were running out of things. It's pretty civilized up here in Oregon (just cold and raining).

TedZark - 3-30-2020 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by brucedog  
Also heavy on our minds was the possibility of supply chains being severely disrupted just around the time that we were running out of things. It's pretty civilized up here in Oregon (just cold and raining).

It is amazing how uncivilized things can become when supply chains are broken. I suspect our local supply chains (here in Mexico) are less dependent on international suppliers. Especially the all important farmer to CaliMax connection.

brucedog - 3-31-2020 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
Also heavy on our minds was the possibility of supply chains being severely disrupted just around the time that we were running out of things. It's pretty civilized up here in Oregon (just cold and raining).

It is amazing how uncivilized things can become when supply chains are broken. I suspect our local supply chains (here in Mexico) are less dependent on international suppliers. Especially the all important farmer to CaliMax connection.

In our town the water is unsafe to drink. There is a desal plant that fills tanks in town that is only for Mexican citizens. Most of us rely on one guy (Daniel) to deliver drinkable water. If he isn't able to deliver we're drinking water that is salty and loaded with arsenic and aluminum.

caj13 - 3-31-2020 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Grenadiers  

I sent you a U2U, The overland vehicle might be the perfect fit for my next adventure!

BajaMama - 3-31-2020 at 12:33 PM

For those choosing to stay in Baja - I wish you luck. If you think the virus is not there yet, think again. We were in Loreto and San Ignacio the last week of February. We were with people from all over the world. The incubation time for this is two weeks, so of all of these people who were there as tourists only a few would need to have contracted the virus. Now think of all the tourists in the La Paz and Cabo areas. It is already on the second wave down there. Unfortunately people can have the virus and not know it and spread it. Once it takes off, it is exponential, and those at high risk (heart trouble, hypertension, diabetes, autoimmune issues, asthma, over 65) will not fare well and REQUIRE A VENTILATOR to stay alive. It can take up to two weeks on the ventilator. I am not trying to sway you one way or the other, but just know that should you be one of the unlucky 20% who come down with the deadly symptoms (which are NOT flu like, it is a serious pneumonia which literally drowns your lungs). Once the symptoms hit you, you will not have time to make it to the states. It comes on quick. Me? I'm terrified and I am a fairly healthy 60 year old with hypertension. I am hunkering in my bay area home and hoping for the best. Good luck to everyone.

del mar - 3-31-2020 at 12:54 PM

if I lived way down in baja (or mainland) I think I would have fled.....being so close to the border im actually closer to a VA hospital than I would be in Ventura. It took awhile but folks are finally taking this seriously, it'll be interesting to see what april brings!:(

brucedog - 4-1-2020 at 09:06 AM

If he isn't able to deliver we're drinking water that is salty and loaded with arsenic and aluminum.
Aluminum? Where is this?

La Ventana. I had the water tested a few years ago. Can't remember exact numbers but Salt, Aluminum, and Arsenic were many times over recommended safe levels

AKgringo - 4-1-2020 at 10:06 AM

Both arsenic, and aluminum are widely distributed in the earth's crust, especially aluminum (refined from bauxite).

Both are more common in areas with volcanic or extreme tectonic activity. Any well drilled where I am in northern CA better be tested for heavy metal content.

Edit; arsenic is actually a metal

[Edited on 4-1-2020 by AKgringo]

mtgoat666 - 4-1-2020 at 10:16 AM

La Ventana. I had the water tested a few years ago

Interesting. The arsenic doesn't surprise me (aren't you downstream from San Antonio?), but I don't understand the aluminum.

it is not unusual to see elevated arsenic and aluminum in GW from natural sources...

Cancamo - 4-1-2020 at 10:18 AM

Lots of mining activity in the area above El Sargento/La Ventana in years past. Possibly released during working the mines, or added to process minerals.

(Much to learn from the first class mining museum in El Triunfo)

pacificobob - 4-1-2020 at 10:22 AM

La Ventana. I had the water tested a few years ago

Interesting. The arsenic doesn't surprise me (aren't you downstream from San Antonio?), but I don't understand the aluminum.

I have heard that among the population of San Juan de los planos exist cases of bladder cancer off the charts. Right down hill from San Antonio.

4x4abc - 4-1-2020 at 11:03 AM

arsenic is not added during mining operations - Baja ground has a high level of arsenic naturally (it is even present in high levels in BCS municipal drinking water supply. Some efforts are made to filter it out because of the high cancer rate in BCS.
Back to mining - because mining operations dig up and crush a lot of rock, more arsenic is eventually washed out.
The La Ventana/Los Planes/El Triunfo area has some other super toxic heavy metals in the soil. Due to the careless smelting process around the turn of the century. Locals are paying the price for it today.
Think twice before buying a house in that area

pacificobob - 4-3-2020 at 09:01 AM

Home test kits for aresenic are cheap, easy and conclusive

4x4abc - 4-3-2020 at 12:15 PM

Both arsenic, and aluminum are widely distributed in the earth's crust, especially aluminum (refined from bauxite).

ever noticed those patches of black "sand" at Baja beaches? That is arsenic.
Collected it once to possibly use the color accent around the house or in the garden. Noticed that the bottle I had filled it in was extremely heavy. Like metal. Put a magnet to it. Yup - stuck to the magnet. Had it tested. Arsenic.

mtgoat666 - 4-3-2020 at 12:48 PM

ever noticed those patches of black "sand" at Baja beaches? That is arsenic.
Collected it once to possibly use the color accent around the house or in the garden. Noticed that the bottle I had filled it in was extremely heavy. Like metal. Put a magnet to it. Yup - stuck to the magnet. Had it tested. Arsenic.

the little stripes, ribbons and patches of black sand you see on a mostly light-colored sandy beach are usually denser grains, typically iron oxides, amphiboles and pyroxenes. the iron oxides are magnetic. on baja beaches you might see arsenic occur in sufide minerals like pyrite, and these would be denser than average, so would accumulate in the black ribbons you see in beach sand.
in some cases you might see beaches that are totally black sand, this is usually next to volcanic rock and the black is mostly basalt, andesite and glass fragments that make up the sand.

bajatravelergeorge - 4-3-2020 at 12:51 PM

I'm totally isolated and not accepting visitors so I feel pretty safe here in Baja at my house. My fear is, if COVID-19 hits Baja hard, the health system will easily be overwhelmed and people will get desperate. I don't see the Mexican government being capable of funding a shutdown of the economy like the U.S.

bajatravelergeorge - 4-3-2020 at 12:52 PM

I'm totally isolated and not accepting visitors so I feel pretty safe here in Baja at my house. My fear is, if COVID-19 hits Baja hard, the health system will easily be overwhelmed and people will get desperate. I don't see the Mexican government being capable of funding a shutdown of the economy like the U.S.

AKgringo - 4-3-2020 at 12:58 PM

Put a magnet to it. Yup - stuck to the magnet. Had it tested. Arsenic.

Wait, are you saying that it was pure arsenic and that's why it was magnetic?

I'd always assumed that black magnetic "sand" was some sort of iron compound... :o

If it can be picked up with a magnet, it is Hematite, a form of iron ore. I have a jar of it in front of me right now (recovered from my sluice box), and although arsenic is common in this area, I have never heard of it being associated with the black sand.

Bob H - 4-8-2020 at 12:28 PM

Hook, they have asked us to stay at home. So, if you live in Baja. That's your home. I'd just stock up and stay at home. That's what we are doing here.

Hope you have enough Tequila to get you by. LOL

Bob H

[Edited on 4-9-2020 by Bob H]

Bruce R Leech - 4-8-2020 at 05:46 PM

I will be staying in Ensenada, nowhere else to go

David K - 4-9-2020 at 09:24 AM

Stay safe, Bruce!;)