BajaNomad

What are you paying for a liter of reg unleaded?

Hook - 3-24-2020 at 08:55 PM

And where are you in Mexico?

I just paid 17.95 at an Arco in town. I dont think it's gone down more than a peso per liter. But I havent been paying much attention before the big oil price collapse, because it never really moved at all in the last year.

Hook - 3-24-2020 at 08:58 PM

Seems like you might be able to get about 24.5 pesos to the dollar right now. At that exchange rate, a gallon of unleaded is about 2.77 US.

Bajazly - 3-24-2020 at 09:02 PM

San Felipe BC 17.99 a few days ago, haven't seen today. Mexicali this past Monday I saw a place or two @15.5 but most were still low 17's. Imagine it will go a little lower soon.

JZ - 3-24-2020 at 10:25 PM

Can you all speak American? What is that in $ per gallon?

AKgringo - 3-25-2020 at 07:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Assuming a price of 17.50 pesos per liter, the price of gasoline would be 4.60 Canadian dollars per imperial gallon.

You're welcome!

John Harper - 3-25-2020 at 07:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Hire me as your CFO. I'd be happy to "run the numbers" for you, boss.

John

pacificobob - 3-25-2020 at 07:44 AM

Remember in +/- 1975 when the USA was going the embrace and use the metric system?
The subsequent blowback resulted in scrapping the idea.
That was a telling moment for american culture.
imo , one of the early indicators of our declining status.
Well, im off for some dessert riding on my DRZ 24cubic inch

[Edited on 3-25-2020 by pacificobob]

caj13 - 3-25-2020 at 04:13 PM

here in central california I'm paying $2.36 a gallon right now, my brother in Michigan is crowing about it being $1.14 - thats not a typo, a buck 15 a gallon

David K - 3-25-2020 at 04:15 PM

Today (Wed) Costco San Marcos was $2.59/ gal for 87 octane. No lines at 11:30.

del mar - 3-25-2020 at 04:53 PM

depends where you go...rosarito is around 15.

(from SQ fb)

bajabuddha - 3-25-2020 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

Flan? Banana split? Hielados frutas? Sounds messy. :lol:

I once had a cream pie fight on my birthday 1974, with losta people. It was a blast! :o

[Edited on 3-25-2020 by bajabuddha]

John Harper - 3-25-2020 at 05:15 PM

We rode our scoots to Oside Harbor and back today, saw gas as low as $2.45 at Mohsen on 101. Cops shutting down the parking lots and beaches in some areas. Looked like the state beaches were closed, maybe not all the city beaches. Very strange times.

John

bajarich - 3-25-2020 at 09:47 PM

$1.65 per gal. at Costco in Tucson today. 'Sorry I filled my truck last week at $2.19. Not so good at investing in gas futures.

Mula - 3-26-2020 at 07:42 AM

15.99 yesterday in Insurgentes, Comondu.

pacificobob - 3-26-2020 at 07:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

Flan? Banana split? Hielados frutas? Sounds messy. :lol:

I once had a cream pie fight on my birthday 1974, with losta people. It was a blast! :o

[Edited on 3-25-2020 by bajabuddha]

Good catch. Jaja

Getting Gassed with no Place to Go

MrBillM - 3-26-2020 at 09:40 AM

Here we are in Petrol Paradise being told to stay home or else !

Having weathered the '73 and '78 craziness and anticipating the inevitable coming chaos, I've been making a point of topping my tanks upon return from each of my infrequent trips out of town.

At fairly empty stations.

Kind of funny, isn't it ?

Speaking of the Metric System ................ I have a (typically authoritarian) German friend who used to harp constantly on the failure of the U.S. to adopt the SUPERIOR system.

Which I would usually answer with a version of "Look, we kicked your Ass in two world wars and put a man on the Moon using OUR system of measure. Where's the problem ? "

pacificobob - 3-26-2020 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Here we are in Petrol Paradise being told to stay home or else !

Having weathered the '73 and '78 craziness and anticipating the inevitable coming chaos, I've been making a point of topping my tanks upon return from each of my infrequent trips out of town.

At fairly empty stations.

Kind of funny, isn't it ?

Speaking of the Metric System ................ I have a (typically authoritarian) German friend who used to harp constantly on the failure of the U.S. to adopt the SUPERIOR system.

Which I would usually answer with a version of "Look, we kicked your Ass in two world wars and put a man on the Moon using OUR system of measure. Where's the problem ? "

That should illustrate to him that the system used everywhere other than the US clearly sucks. BTW the moon landing was a long time ago.

defrag4 - 3-26-2020 at 12:36 PM

finally moved yesterday here in loreto down to 17.8 or so, was at ~19.8 for the longest time

BajaParrothead - 3-26-2020 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  
finally moved yesterday here in loreto down to 17.8 or so, was at ~19.8 for the longest time

At today's exchange, that comes out to $3.07 gal, which is far better than I paid for diesel earlier in the month in the East Cape. With the 22.05/L at 19:1 rate, that was $4.38/gal.:o

Paco Facullo - 3-26-2020 at 01:03 PM

"I once had a cream pie fight on my birthday 1974, with losta people. It was a blast! "

I once , maybe multiple times, had cream pie fights with my Novia in bed,,, it was messy but REALLY FUN !!!

John Harper - 3-26-2020 at 02:37 PM

1973 and 1978-9 were supply restrictions. The Arab oil embargo in '73, Iran's revolution '78-9. Both created supply issues.

Today, we have a collapse in demand, not a problem with our supplies of gas. Same reason people buying water are fools, there is no threat to our multi-billion dollar water supply system. Nor our TP supply chain, for that matter.

John

[Edited on 3-26-2020 by John Harper]

David K - 3-26-2020 at 04:09 PM

In 1978/1979, I was working at a gas station when the price exceeded $1/gallon for the first time... Which was crazy since the pumps could only go to 99 cents! The pumps were made to pump liters until new pumps arrived. That was a tense time. We had odd/even days for sales, too (based on you plates).

Hook - 3-26-2020 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

1973 and 1978-9 were supply restrictions. The Arab oil embargo in '73, Iran's revolution '78-9. Both created supply issues.

Today, we have a collapse in demand, not a problem with our supplies of gas. Same reason people buying water are fools, there is no threat to our multi-billion dollar water supply system. Nor our TP supply chain, for that matter.

John

[Edited on 3-26-2020 by John Harper]

It's a little different that water and TP. Ya cant really cut back on drinking water or taking a s***. You can reduce your driving.

There is MUCH more to this downturn in oil prices than a CV-induced lack of demand. It started before the CV period, by about 2 weeks. But the virus is certainly quashing demand, bigtime.

There is allegedly a market share peeing match between Russia and Saudi Arabia. The conventional theory has been that they (or possibly only Russia) want to force the small to mid-sized, heavily-leveraged shale oil producers in the US, out of business. And that is largely true.

But I heard an interview today with the CEO of Pioneer Natural Resources who claims that the big multinationals are fine with this level of oil pricing, in the short term. He mentioned Exxon, specifically. The biggies know that it will bankrupt a lot of the small and midsize producers and they are waiting to buy them out of bankruptcy or before that for 1/10 of what their stock trades at...........which aint much, now. Or, they go away and the US supply gets reduced, and that increases the value of their oil.

This CEO claims that about 80% of these leveraged oil producers could go under, and if they do, the US will be right back to being dependent on foreign oil. He claimed we would have to import about 60% of our oil.

It was shale oil that made us energy independent. But many producers cant make a profit when oil is under about 40 bucks/barrel, or so, with their debt levels. Companies like BP, XOM, CVX dont have those levels of debt; they have cash. They are circling sharks...........while Russia and the Saudis take the blame.