BajaNomad

COVID19 in BCS

KRB - 3-25-2020 at 08:32 PM

Official BCS CONVID link

https://coronavirus.bcs.gob.mx/

Bajazly - 3-25-2020 at 10:33 PM

And one for all of Mexico altho I trust it about as far as I could throw my truck.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1-XnTNpU7R4XiVe...

pauldavidmena - 3-26-2020 at 05:05 AM

The numbers line up with what I read in today's Gringo Gazette, which is striking a somewhat optimistic tone.

pacificobob - 3-26-2020 at 08:17 AM

Shame on the gringo g. Irresponsible and self interested.
Sadly businesses and countries have an interest in down playing the scarey accurate information.

pacificobob - 3-26-2020 at 08:26 AM

Governor barbosa of the state of puebla has stated poor people are immune to covid-19.
And for the frosting on this cake.....he includes himself as one of the immune poor!
He is giving der gropen fuehrer a run for the title of worst leadership.

karenintx - 3-26-2020 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Shame on the gringo g. Irresponsible and self interested.
Sadly businesses and countries have an interest in down playing the scarey accurate information.

I agree! The GG ALWAYS sugar coats everything to their advantage.

I live one block from Medano Beach. Reports from our HOA manager (that is Mexican) is that all restaurants/bars on the beach are closed except for The Sandbar. Plan to walk over there today to see.

"A few hotels" are closed...hey GG read the local newspaper that does report the truth. Yesterday it was up to 33 hotels that are closed, that is more than "a few"!

BajaParrothead - 3-27-2020 at 12:49 PM

UPDATE 3/27
http://www.bajainsider.com/article/progress-corona-virus-mex...
Looks like the Mexican cases jumped 44% in the past 24 hours.

4x4abc - 3-27-2020 at 07:31 PM

look at this little beach party below - going home they all took that Corona souvenir with them.
Imagine something similar for Los Cabos. Sure it can be done - but few want to see it.
Los Cabos (8 today) and La Paz (5 today) will be virus hot spots in a couple of weeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq2zuE3ISYU&feature=yout...

bezzelle - 3-27-2020 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
look at this little beach party below - going home they all took that Corona souvenir with them.
Imagine something similar for Los Cabos. Sure it can be done - but few want to see it.
Los Cabos (8 today) and La Paz (5 today) will be virus hot spots in a couple of weeks.

excellent. thanks for posting

chumlee57 - 3-27-2020 at 10:02 PM

as long as I'm blowing up the board, remember how ignorant you were at 18- 25..... :) the juries out, also LIFE has a way of sparing the dumb asses. And nature will require people get covid in order to have a recipricol anitbody. not my rules

Fernweh - 3-28-2020 at 08:14 AM

came through the Federal Police checkpoint just north of El Centenario yesterday afternoon. It was staffed with medical personal, we had to stop, were asked some health questions and out temperature was taken, while still sitting in the car.They handed us a great informative Corona virus flyer, but also said, that there were two confirmed cases in La Paz now.
Stay safe!

shari - 3-28-2020 at 09:16 AM

I just returned home to beautiful Bahia Asuncion after a voluntary quarantine from working with tourists. In GN, hotels, stores & restaurants are open & pretty much business as usual there. There is a medical checkpoint at the border where they take your temperature and ask some questions.

Rumour has it in Guerrero Negro they are worried about Mexican nationals from other higher risk areas coming to central Baja to be safer. Supposedly nationals are asking about longer term rentals and I know of expats who have homes in Asuncion are also taking refuge here. There are many folks who overwinter in Baja who are staying put here and they are out and about surfing,camping etc. whom I do not feel pose any threat.

Last week, Bahia Tortugas decided to close it's borders and not allow outsiders into the village and Asuncion supposedly has followed suit of allowing only residents in...although I personally have not seen anyone monitoring or controlling this.

We have closed La Bufadora Inn to visitors but some restaurants & stores are open with the restrictions of only a few customers at a time and social distancing. All is well in our little paradise at the moment...couldnt think of a better place to be.

Good luck everyone....hang in there...get creative and make this time at home productive & positive.

MulegeAL - 3-28-2020 at 10:52 AM

Does anyone here know what happens if it is found you are running a fever at a checkpoint? And is the data shared anywhere?

Get sent to quarantine in El Arco? :(

4x4abc - 3-28-2020 at 11:59 AM

if only it were like with other illnesses - you have a fever, you are contagious.
The wickedness of Corona is that even though you have no symptoms at all (you feel great) you might carry the virus. And the virus is happy to have found some transportation to more hosts.
Those temperature checkpoints are beyond useless.

Just check this mega beach party of people wo think they are healthy - see how they transport the virus to the last corner of the world.

David K - 3-28-2020 at 01:08 PM

Right on, Harald. That's the reason this thing requires us to stay home or avoid others.

bezzelle - 3-28-2020 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Right on, Harald. That's the reason this thing requires us to stay home or avoid others.

only 'til easter. :rolleyes:

4x4abc - 3-28-2020 at 02:57 PM

Easter of which year?

bezzelle - 3-28-2020 at 03:59 PM

Easter of which year?

appropriate question!
fatality numbers are getting more stable, statistically. (but still early) The multiplier, i.e. the number that tells us how many more people died today than yesterday, is right at 1.31. So, a 31% increase, every day. IF that number doesn't come down we are in trouble.
Yesterday, 367 people died. In a week, that number will be 3275 ... you get the potential picture.

hunker down all.

bezzelle - 3-28-2020 at 05:03 PM

Some statistics.

US death toll surpasses 2,000, doubling in two days

Update 6:39 p.m. EDT March 28: More than 2,000 U.S. citizens have died from the coronavirus as of Saturday, the death toll doubling in about 48 hours, the Washington Post reported. The time between the first confirmed death and the 1,000th was about a month.

The first US death from the Coronavirus was four weeks ago today on February 29. It took 27 days to go from 1 death to 1,000 deaths in the US.

Now the US is over 2,000 deaths. That second 1,000 deaths took less than 3 days.

The number of deaths today is already over 400.

— Jamie Dupree (@jamiedupree) March 28, 2020

no need for panic folks. we'll see this until curve starts to flatten.
just keep hunkering

chippy - 3-28-2020 at 06:28 PM

OOOOhhhh scary! How many people die every day without covid 19?

Paco Facullo - 3-28-2020 at 06:48 PM

I got SO drunk last night that this morning I was a wishing I was Dead !!:cool:

TMW - 3-28-2020 at 06:53 PM

The reg. flu the CDC estimates from Oct. 1 2019 to March 21 2020 in the US there have been 38,000,000 to 54,000,000 illness and 24,000 to 62,000 deaths. However the big difference between it and the COVID19 is there is no vaccine for the COVID19. It's really apples to oranges to compare until a cure is found. COVID19 could surpass the Flu as time goes by or if a cure is found maybe not.

4x4abc - 3-28-2020 at 07:03 PM

I will not get into arguing numbers here or when the curve is flattening or when it will be over (likely never)

just an indicator - the 4 major manufacturers of ventilators (not GM) plan to crank out about 50,000 ventilators until the end of the year
no, not just for a few months - until the end of the year.

so, our supreme leaders are not expecting this to be over by easter
end of the year?
maybe
probably not

Skipjack Joe - 3-28-2020 at 07:10 PM

I think I'm seeing a difference in the rate of new cases the last 2-3 days. The number of cases are not going up exponentially but linearly. The rate must be dropping therefore. This is such a small sample though. Let's see if the trend continues.

Bajazly - 3-28-2020 at 10:12 PM

I will not get into arguing numbers here or when the curve is flattening or when it will be over (likely never)

just an indicator - the 4 major manufacturers of ventilators (not GM) plan to crank out about 50,000 ventilators until the end of the year

end of the year?
maybe
probably not

Is that 50,000 per vendor? per month? or total? I heard GM was looking at 100,000 but they won't be online till late April or early May.

mtgoat666 - 3-28-2020 at 11:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

end of the year?
maybe
probably not

Is that 50,000 per vendor? per month? or total? I heard GM was looking at 100,000 but they won't be online till late April or early May.

I will plan to avoid covid-19 pneumonia until june!

4x4abc - 3-28-2020 at 11:46 PM

that is the already increased production of all 4 major producers combined (Drägerwerk, Getinge, Siare, Hamilton Medical)
there hasn't been a big market for those machine - until now

they are extremely complicated and consist of about 1,500 parts
they are difficult to operate as well
the air assistance needs to be fine tuned for every patient
just pumping oxigen enriched air in won't do
pump just a little too much and the patient dies of overinflated lungs
not enough air will kill - too much air will also kill you

lotsa startups around the world are working on inventing a simpler machine

we'll have to see what GM comes up with + how fast + how many

I know from Hamilton Medical, a Swiss company, that they had increased their production after the first news about Corona in December. They had offered about 1,000 in January to the US. US did not want them. No need.

paranewbi - 3-29-2020 at 04:19 AM

that is the already increased production of all 4 major producers combined (Drägerwerk, Getinge, Siare, Hamilton Medical)
there hasn't been a big market for those machine - until now

they are extremely complicated and consist of about 1,500 parts
they are difficult to operate as well
the air assistance needs to be fine tuned for every patient
just pumping oxigen enriched air in won't do
pump just a little too much and the patient dies of overinflated lungs
not enough air will kill - too much air will also kill you

lotsa startups around the world are working on inventing a simpler machine

we'll have to see what GM comes up with + how fast + how many

I know from Hamilton Medical, a Swiss company, that they had increased their production after the first news about Corona in December. They had offered about 1,000 in January to the US. US did not want them. No need.

What this really indicates is that within a few months we will have a great opportunity to acquire our own as thousands will be on ebay.

Will there be a demand to store all of the machines not needed during a regular yearly cycle in preparation for the next 'crisis'? Think of that financially...the maintenance of facilities in strategic areas due to fear?

And of course there will be enterprises that develop advanced machines each year to leverage that fear of another 'lack of preparation'. And when the next 'crisis' arises, who wants to be hooked up to an antiquated relic from two years ago, when the guy lying next to them has the newest version of a life saving tool?

There's only one answer to overstock or outdated crap...ebay.

Or maybe donating the pile to needy nations ... I elect Blanca to be our point person for that mission!

[Edited on 3-29-2020 by paranewbi]

Those LAST Breaths

MrBillM - 3-29-2020 at 09:40 AM

Given what statistics I could find indicating a mortality rate for those progressing to "Ventilator dependency" (prior to the COVID-19 situation) at 86 percent ................

It appears that the obsessive concentration on providing said equipment is simply an attempt to temporarily moderate (with false hope ?) the developing (inevitable) hysteria.

Hope may spring eternal, but that "spring" may be just a hole in the Boat

" I don't know where Corona's gonna go, but I do know that I'm a gonna go before it's gone "

On the other hand:

"Excelsior and E Pluribus Unum"

Remember THOSE two words and YOU will get through.

According to NY Gov Andrew Cuomo this a.m. @ 9:30.

So, "Put on a Happy Face"

RFClark - 3-29-2020 at 10:48 AM

“Those LAST Breaths

Given what statistics I could find indicating a mortality rate for those progressing to "Ventilator dependency" (prior to the COVID-19 situation) at 86 percent ................

It appears that the obsessive concentration on providing said equipment is simply an attempt to temporarily moderate (with false hope ?) the developing (inevitable) hysteria.”

Yes, you are correct!

A ventilator won’t, by itself cure many of these cases! As your numbers demonstrate! Ventilators are meant to support patients long enough to give other treatments or time a chance. Without an effective treatment the outcomes are not good!

Ventilators made their name saving many from polio (Iron Lungs) and later drug O.D.s in the early ‘70s. Neither of these classes of patients had underlying lung issues. Also in the early 70’s better ventilator technology supported premature infants long enough to allow their lungs to mature enough to function correctly.

Mechanical Ventilation has limited effectiveness treating Pneumonia by itself. In fact the patients treated effectively usually don’t end up on ventilators!

Bajazly - 3-31-2020 at 02:51 PM

Dumbazzes.
Did a border closure coming south finally happen with the country wide lockdown yesterday?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dozens-of-spring-breakers-...

BajaTed - 3-31-2020 at 04:08 PM

Running the Cancun airport gauntlet of time share vendors and dickering with drivers for rides in nice vehicles stolen from the states is stressful enough, now its like this:
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/opinion/travelers-woes-symptomat...

BajaParrothead - 3-31-2020 at 05:11 PM

I see that Baja Sur is up to 18 confirmed cases and two deaths in the La Paz municipality. I believe yesterday was only 11 cases and no deaths. Their curve is going up pretty quickly.

BajaTed - 3-31-2020 at 05:18 PM

The drivers outright tell you up front, then you as the astute tourist take advantage of something totally out of your control. You then say to self, welcome to Mexico

Paco Facullo - 3-31-2020 at 06:04 PM

The rational of most thief's in Foreign countries on stealing from American's is " They'll just buy another "

And, on a realistic level, they are correct ...

I'm NOT condoning thievery just food for thought ...........

[Edited on 4-1-2020 by Paco Facullo]

Skipjack Joe - 3-31-2020 at 09:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

The rational of most thief's in Foreign countries on stealing from Americans is " They'll just buy another "

The only problem I have is with the word "just"

Cancamo - 4-1-2020 at 08:36 AM

First confirmed case in La Ribera this morning. 52 year old woman.

As per local doctor friend, many cases not being reported in La Paz.

The Seguro Popular is beginning to see an increase of people with symptoms.

Three deaths reported yesterday in La Paz, 28 year old woman, another young woman, and a 58 year old magistrate brought from Los Cabos.

Stay put, stay safe.

cabo virus now in Texas

PaulW - 4-1-2020 at 03:12 PM

https://www.newsweek.com/28-texas-spring-breakers-test-posit...
28 TEXAS SPRING BREAKERS TEST POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS AFTER GROUP VACATION TO MEXICO
At least 28 young adults from Texas have tested positive for coronavirus after traveling to Mexico with a group for spring break, officials in Austin and Travis County confirmed.
The Austin Public Health Department on Tuesday confirmed they are "investigating a cluster of positive COVID-19 cases involving a large group returning from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico."
The group of approximately 70 spring breakers in their 20s headed to Mexico in a chartered plane about a week and a half ago. Upon arriving home, 28 members of the group tested positive for coronavirus, with more than a dozen others are under investigation. State officials say four of the positive cases did not display any symptoms.
Newsweek reached out to the Austin Public Health Department for an update.
Local health officials have made contact with every young adult that flew on the chartered plane to ensure they undergo tests and a quarantine period. Some members returned independently on commercial flights. The 28 people who tested positive are also under quarantine.
Spring breakers attend mtvU Spring Break 2014 at the Grand Oasis Hotel on March 21, 2014 in Cancun, Mexico. "mtvU Spring Break" starts airing March 31st on mtvU.LARRY BUSACCA/GETTY
Mexico was not listed under a federal travel advisory when the trip took place, however, officials advised citizens to cancel non-essential travel. The Austin Public Health Department warned citizens from taking similar trips amid the virus pandemic.
"While Mexico at the time of their travel was not under a federal travel advisory, Austin-Travis County residents should follow CDC's travel recommendations indicating travelers avoid all non-essential international travel. A leisure vacation of any kind is not considered essential," the city said.
On Tuesday, Texas confirmed more than 3,000 cases of COVID-19 and 49 deaths. In Austin-Travis County, almost half of all people who have tested positive for COVID-19 are between 20 and 40 years old.
"The virus often hides in the healthy and is given to those who are at grave risk of being hospitalized or dying," Austin-Travis County Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott said. "While younger people have less risk for complications, they are not immune from severe illness and death from COVID-19."
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has been hesitant to enforce strict social distancing measures over fears the economy will be adversely affected. But as the virus continued to spread throughout the country, he has issued tougher measures in recent days to combat the outbreak. Monday, Mexico declared a health emergency.
On Tuesday afternoon, more than 180,000 people have tested positive for coronavirus in the U.S., with around 3,780 deaths and over 6,000 recoveries. A large portion of the cases—nearly 76,000—are in New York state.

David K - 4-1-2020 at 04:44 PM

This is going to be a rough month :(

Feathers - 4-1-2020 at 06:43 PM

Thanks for the laugh, Pacifico.

[Edited on 4-2-2020 by Feathers]

BajaBlanca - 4-2-2020 at 02:19 AM

paranewbi - thanks for the nomination.

Says Les that the locals are now wearing masks in the grocery store. Gel inside for everyone to disinfect hands. I went to the outside of the Abreojos store to take down a sign I had put up weeks ago. The sign was down already but their store has a table outside with gel.

Punta Abreojos main store, run by the local cooperative members, has banned anyone not a co - op member from shopping there. It is a smallish store, and there are alternatives, but I still can't wrap my head around that exclusion.

How about Bahia Asuncion store? Is there one run by the co-op?

BajaRat - 4-2-2020 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
paranewbi - thanks for the nomination.

Says Les that the locals are now wearing masks in the grocery store. Gel inside for everyone to disinfect hands. I went to the outside of the Abreojos store to take down a sign I had put up weeks ago. The sign was down already but their store has a table outside with gel.

Punta Abreojos main store, run by the local cooperative members, has banned anyone not a co - op member from shopping there. It is a smallish store, and there are alternatives, but I still can't wrap my head around that exclusion.

How about Bahia Asuncion store? Is there one run by the co-op?

There are two coops and two coop stores
Several other markets to choose from
Lionel :cool: