Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Add to the list... I heard the following have road blocks thrown up by locals:
San Javier, BCS
Bahia de Los Angeles
Bahia Asunción

Wrong information, not true

Hey boy,
Which is wrong?

https://www.elsudcaliforniano.com.mx/local/municipios/poblad...

[Edited on 4-3-2020 by mtgoat666]

Marc - 4-3-2020 at 06:14 AM

Must be real. It's an official gobermbut sign.

[Edited on 4-3-2020 by Marc]

pacificobob - 4-3-2020 at 07:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Add to the list... I heard the following have road blocks thrown up by locals:
San Javier, BCS
Bahia de Los Angeles
Bahia Asunción

Wrong information, not true

Nice comment....vague, yet snarky.

larryC - 4-3-2020 at 07:40 AM

I don't know of any road blocks into BoLA and I'm here right now. But just because I don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Bajaboy - 4-3-2020 at 08:06 AM

Goat you are wrong! I’m in Asuncion now. No roadblocks! Go back under your rock.

brucedog - 4-3-2020 at 09:25 AM

The road is blocked into La Ventana. Drivers are asked:
1. When you go through the filter, they ask if you're a neighbor. If you're not a neighbor, ask you more questions. Where are you going? What are you doing?

2. Remind you that the beaches are closed and you can't be in La Ventana. ➤ celebrate Forbidden camping. Everything is closed!

3. If you have a house here, we remind you that you cannot be on the beach and recommend you return to your other home where you have been living.

4. The purpose of the checkpoint is to send people back home. Easter is coming and we are trying to avoid the snowball of people coming.

mtgoat666 - 4-3-2020 at 10:02 AM

revised list!

Roadblocks at:
La Ventana
San Javier

on another topic(s),... how many hospitals and clinics have ventilators? and how many ventilators in baja?
got milk?
got sand?
got baja?
got N95 mask?
got hand sanitizer?
got fever?
got pneumonia?

good luck!

[Edited on 4-3-2020 by mtgoat666]

charliemanson - 4-3-2020 at 10:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by brucedog  
1. When you go through the filter, they ask if you're a neighbor. If you're not a neighbor, ask you more questions. Where are you going? What are you doing?

2. Remind you that the beaches are closed and you can't be in La Ventana. ➤ celebrate Forbidden camping. Everything is closed!

3. If you have a house here, we remind you that you cannot be on the beach and recommend you return to your other home where you have been living.

4. The purpose of the checkpoint is to send people back home. Easter is coming and we are trying to avoid the snowball of people coming.

However, if you are one of the over 30 derelict gringos living tightly in the "Cudo" arroyo with no sanitation on the beach its still alright but heavens forbid a Mexican national dare come.

Its good to stop flow, but truly the derelicts should be told to move on as they can't afford to pay at the campground more less support themselves if needed when they get sick and pass it on to the locals.

motoged - 4-3-2020 at 10:46 AM

Goat you are wrong! I’m in Asuncion now. No roadblocks! Go back under your rock.

Have you been in Asuncion for past several weeks....or just arrive recently?

Alm - 4-3-2020 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Hope San Felipe is next.

It already is:
San Felipe

"Zero tolerance and jail in case of incurring contempt, those are strict measures implemented by the Municipal Public Security Directorate of Mexicali.

On Tuesday March 31, a checkpoint was installed as part of the alert-reaction operation on the highway to San Felipe, in order to intercept domestic and foreign tourists traveling to the port.

In case you oppose the authority to carry out these regulations you can even be transferred for crimes to police headquarters... we are going to proceed with the full weight of the law and zero tolerance because we are interested in their health and that of others, we are talking about a contingency ”, María Elena Andrade, Director of Municipal Police.

Along the road, at least three surveillance points will be installed to prevent drivers from using alternate routes and inside the port there will be strict surveillance, mainly in the area of ​​the pier, the police director emphasized that there will be no tolerance.

Whether they are administrative offenses, fines, or even if contempt is incurred, the commission of a crime in flagrante delicto can be carried out at that time, and anyone who disrespects the authority's provisions constitutes a crime and at that time be transferred to cells of the command. " María Elena Andrade / Director of Municipal Police

Lee - 4-3-2020 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Hope San Felipe is next.

It already is:
San Felipe

"Zero tolerance and jail in case of incurring contempt, those are strict measures implemented by the Municipal Public Security Directorate of Mexicali.

On Tuesday March 31, a checkpoint was installed as part of the alert-reaction operation on the highway to San Felipe, in order to intercept domestic and foreign tourists traveling to the port.

In case you oppose the authority to carry out these regulations you can even be transferred for crimes to police headquarters... we are going to proceed with the full weight of the law and zero tolerance because we are interested in their health and that of others, we are talking about a contingency ”, María Elena Andrade, Director of Municipal Police.

Along the road, at least three surveillance points will be installed to prevent drivers from using alternate routes and inside the port there will be strict surveillance, mainly in the area of ​​the pier, the police director emphasized that there will be no tolerance.

Whether they are administrative offenses, fines, or even if contempt is incurred, the commission of a crime in flagrante delicto can be carried out at that time, and anyone who disrespects the authority's provisions constitutes a crime and at that time be transferred to cells of the command. " María Elena Andrade / Director of Municipal Police

Reality: Another money making scam for MXs to shake down tourists. Pay the fine or go to the station. Nice.

Bajazly - 4-3-2020 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Hope San Felipe is next.

It already is:
San Felipe

Any Idea where this checkpoints are?

Rossman - 4-3-2020 at 03:43 PM

I've got it on pretty good authority that checkpoints are going up here in Asuncion tomorrow so the Goat was only wrong for a couple days. Might be a new record for him.

white whale - 4-3-2020 at 03:44 PM

So they are quarantining cities. Can someone confirm ... the guy in Colorado or Canada cannot drive down as of today and cross into Baja - yes? Even if they have family or a home to go to.

And for the drive north, are the Am's and Can's being prevented from crossing?

I know no one 100% trusts China covid news but I can't believe at all Mexico and specifically Mexico City has so few cases. I can see mexico
saying this is how they are going to go to stop the spread. There is a time bomb waiting to go off I'm afraid in Mexico City.

Lee - 4-3-2020 at 08:29 PM

Didn’t trust the MX government before the virus and don’t trust them now. Same for the US.

Make peace with death. It’s inevitable.

paranewbi - 4-4-2020 at 04:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Didn’t trust the MX government before the virus and don’t trust them now. Same for the US.

For some.

BajaBlanca - 4-4-2020 at 04:44 AM

Locals are very much against foreigners right now. Here in town, they don't realize that Mexicans coming from other towns also bring the chance of spreading the virus.

mtgoat666 - 4-4-2020 at 06:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Locals are very much against foreigners right now. Here in town, they don't realize that Mexicans coming from other towns also bring the chance of spreading the virus.

Threat of death from plague brings out tribalism and xenophobia :(

BajaMama - 4-4-2020 at 07:23 AM

Oh for heaven's sake, small communities want to keep covid-19 out. And we should stay out. They do not have the medical facilities to keep those who succumb alive. So stay the flock at home.

LaTijereta - 4-4-2020 at 07:35 AM

Is there a checkpoint South of San Felipe that is also stopping traffic coming north on hwy5?

Pete69 - 4-4-2020 at 07:43 AM

a friend came south to punta final yesterday from u.s. with no problems, waived thru all checkpoints. friends also left punta final to go home north to u.s. and no problems, business as usual.

pacificobob - 4-4-2020 at 07:44 AM

Many of my local friends and neighbors feel that the virus is sort of a gringo thing.

motoged - 4-4-2020 at 09:19 AM

Threat of death from plague brings out tribalism and xenophobia :(

Right again, G.

Trump's confiscation of international health equipment orders is an indication of that. "America First ... eff the rest of 'em".

We are all in this together, whether folks want to believe it or not.... a test of humanity.....

Bajaboy - 4-4-2020 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Have you been in Asuncion for past several weeks....or just arrive recently?

Two weeks plus

motoged - 4-4-2020 at 02:28 PM

BB,
How is Asuncion managing? Trips to V. for banking?

Gas and food supplies in town?

Will you be hunkering in at Asuncion ?

pauldavidmena - 4-4-2020 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

For some.

For all of us - some sooner than others. While I'd like to think I have a decade or two left in me, I've taken measures to ensure that my inevitable passing doesn't become a burden to others, whether it's my loved ones or anyone else.

To Lee's point, most governments - ostensibly servants of the people - show their true colors during crises like these, serving only themselves and their inner circle.

azucena - 4-4-2020 at 04:00 PM

I just continue to be astounded that there are still people who think it is fine to come down here because they are not being stopped by officials , who apparently are not doing their job.

I get it, it s not fun to be in many places in the US right now.

BUT, big but, can we not think of others? Baja does not have a strong health care system and has a high percentage of people with chronic health conditions such as diabetes that places them at greater risk of infection. If the collapses of the health care system in the US are bad, just think what could happen here.

So even if you think it is cool that you were able to cross the border heading south, because the government here is what it is, don't take advantage of that, and take responsibility yourself to do the right thing.
Would you want to be the person responsible for infecting others ; someone's grandmother parent aunt uncle ? And maybe they die becaue there are no ventilators or hospital beds? No one knows how hard it may strike here. One look at Italy should be enough to give a huge pause. Or Guayaquil Ecuador, where bodies are left in the streets.
Stay put. Not fun. But life is not always fun and about what we want to do personally.

Bajaboy - 4-4-2020 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
BB,
How is Asuncion managing? Trips to V. for banking?

Gas and food supplies in town?

Will you be hunkering in at Asuncion ?

So far so good. Most stores accept cards now so not as much need for cash. We’ve gone to Vizcaino for a Leys grocery run. It was very quiet and most stores closed. I still see people hanging out here but things are changing by the day.

Our plan is to stay here as long as possible but it really depends on what happens with work. Wife and are both teachers. As of now, we’ve been able to check in with students and staff. But it’s also Spring Break. We’ll know more soon. Ideally I want to stay here until things settle down in San Diego. It’s very easy to self isolate here.

bajabuddha - 4-4-2020 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  
I just continue to be astounded that there are still people who think it is fine to come down here because they are not being stopped by officials , who apparently are not doing their job.

Stay put.

I've been wondering by some of the posts lately.... is it the "STAY" or the "PUT" that confuses them?

Kinda like the big "N" or the little "o". SMDH

Bajaboy - 4-4-2020 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Wife and are both teachers. As of now, we’ve been able to check in with students and staff. But it’s also Spring Break.
You have reliable/fast enough Internet there to run virtual classes? Many schools in the U.S. are trying to run virtual classes at least temporarily...

We have been able to Zoom and use Teams so far. I think initially we’ll be checking in with students and providing enrichment. There are so many uncertainties at the moment.

mtgoat666 - 4-4-2020 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Stay put.

I've been wondering by some of the posts lately.... is it the "STAY" or the "PUT" that confuses them?

Gringo retirees and Spring breakers, traveling to Their vacation homes in baja, May be asymptomatic Typhoid Marys,... I suppose they feel secure in not following public health advice and orders, oblivious as to whether they are spreading contagion... :(
the selfish will always be selfish :(

John Harper - 4-4-2020 at 05:44 PM

Stay put.

Gringo retirees and Spring breakers, traveling to Their vacation homes in baja, May be asymptomatic Typhoid Marys,... I suppose they feel secure in not following public health advice and orders, oblivious as to whether they are spreading contagion... :(

We are just pathetic as a culture compared to my parent's generation. A bunch of self absorbed and narcissistic a-holes.

John

[Edited on 4-5-2020 by John Harper]

David K - 4-4-2020 at 06:01 PM

Should see the photos here of LORETO area road closures, city police sweeps, beach closures, etc. https://www.facebook.com/loreto.bcs.mx

white whale - 4-4-2020 at 06:27 PM

From the Mexico News Daily - first time visitor - and just learned some new words.... Dry Law

Municipal authorities in Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, announced the prohibition of alcohol sales beginning on Monday, threatening any businesses that fail to comply with fines ranging from 8,600-16,800 pesos (US $345-$673).

Also in Baja California Sur, the municipality of Comondú announced on Friday the immediate prohibition of alcohol sales for the remainder of the month-long emergency declaration, with sanctions running from fines to shutting down businesses.

lay seca.jpg - 153kB

And under the MORE NEWS tab, just a matter of fact report of a gang on gang shootout for a 19 deaths tally. Bullet riddled truck pic included.

RFClark - 4-4-2020 at 06:59 PM

No Alcohol Sales in Mexico! That won’t even be as successful as no fireworks sales and use have been! If it is successful there’ll be a revolt that make Via’s look small by comparison!

Paco Facullo - 4-4-2020 at 07:07 PM

No Alcohol sales in Mexico ???

It's the END of the world as we know it ..............................

bajabuddha - 4-4-2020 at 07:11 PM

One thing that hasn't disappeared off our Li'l WW shelves is da booze. However, I did go stock up with my martini vogka and wheeskeys that'll last me at least 4 weeks (didn't get too greedy).

I can live for daze without fud.

p.s., our county in southern NM is still disease-free so far. Governor Lujan Grusham did a really wonderful job on pre-emptive strikes and decrees; the local Trumpanzees (red county) are swallowing their tongues over her but one of the true LEADING MOVES in State's governing in the whole Country. Thank you, Ms. Lujan Grisham.

I have to drive about 40 miles each way twice a week to get 4 antigen shots for severe allergies. I am torn with walking into ground zero (med clinic) and have talked to my health pro's if..... SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO dilemma. I am diabetic with heart disease and obesity; so it's a huge concern to me. However, my allergy clinic encourages me to continue my injections because it bolsters my immune system. So until the 'curve' hits our area i'm taking the risk for now, but monitoring it closely. And, having discussed with the clinic nurses, thanks to HEPPA (?) rules they aren't allowed to warn me in any way, shape or form if the chit hits the fan locally. Quien sabes, no?

The amount of protocols in place still keep me feeling i'm mostly safe with PPE measures in place, both mine and theirs. Once the curve swings our way i'll curtail my runs, because I don't wanna be the Typhoid Mario to bring it back to my small burg (the clinic is in an infected county, but way north of its' epicenter....so far).

HEALTHFUL TIPS:
Carry plastic grocery bags or a roll of paper towels in your vehicle to cover your hands when pumping gas, touching 'pin' buttons etc and keep your fingers away from things like gas pumps and self-checkout buttons, etc. There are always trash receptacles near all gas pumps and grocery checkouts. Also good for opening doors that aren't automatic. Elbows work wonders on open-sesame button doors.

Remember; the virus is NOT ALIVE, and has a fatty 'shell' to it so common dish soap and HOT water (applied at the same time for those mentally challenged out there) is tantamount in importance..... both often and regularly.

Bajaboy - 4-4-2020 at 07:20 PM

Stay put.

Once again the armchair quarterback shows up and has no clue. Seems like there are a number of you out there.

mtgoat666 - 4-4-2020 at 11:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Hard to do stay-at-home quarantine for 1 month w/o alcohol!

Here in America’s finest city BevMo is not open for walk-ins, had to make an appt online to pick up my booze...

[Edited on 4-5-2020 by mtgoat666]

mtgoat666 - 4-4-2020 at 11:06 PM

Stay put.

Once again the armchair quarterback shows up and has no clue. Seems like there are a number of you out there.

Well, then tell us all about it, Mary :saint:

brucedog - 4-5-2020 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
Quote: Originally posted by brucedog  

However, if you are one of the over 30 derelict gringos living tightly in the "Cudo" arroyo with no sanitation on the beach its still alright but heavens forbid a Mexican national dare come.

Its good to stop flow, but truly the derelicts should be told to move on as they can't afford to pay at the campground more less support themselves if needed when they get sick and pass it on to the locals.

Coudn't agree with you more. I have no idea why the delegation doesn't crack down on those people

mtgoat666 - 4-9-2020 at 08:20 PM

Now that road blocks are going up in many places,... will sick people behind the barriers be collected by soldiers in hazmat suits and placed in leper colonies?

paranewbi - 4-10-2020 at 06:34 AM

Meanwhile back here in the land of the free...otherwise known as Santee, The local Costco has a line of people extending outside down the length of the building for 2-3 hours prior to opening. The full parking lot attests to the numbers in that line who stand all about one shopping cart apart.

Put that same line along the waters edge of a local beach and there would be a police action. Arrests, fines, disbursement, with those resisting physically restrained. And that would happen in 15 minutes not hours.

pauldavidmena - 4-11-2020 at 07:36 AM

Just read this article about further closures, many of the makeshift variety: https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/more-communitie...

bajatrailrider - 4-12-2020 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Hard to do stay-at-home quarantine for 1 month w/o alcohol!

Here in America’s finest city BevMo is not open for walk-ins, had to make an appt online to pick up my booze...

Should be no brainier your just a arm chair talker anyway. Drunk too as all your info useless. Carry on Mary

[Edited on 4-5-2020 by mtgoat666]