BajaNomad

Lock up your beer!

sd - 4-3-2020 at 01:08 PM

Mexican government has instructed breweries to shut down.

Noted they are a non essential business.

John Harper - 4-3-2020 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sd  
Mexican government has instructed breweries to shut down.

Noted they are a non essential business.

There's going to be a mass exodus of gringos headed north!

John

Paco Facullo - 4-3-2020 at 02:29 PM

Non essential !! HaHaHaHaHaHa Who ARE they kidding ?????

BajaBlanca - 4-3-2020 at 03:17 PM

:o

I predicted this a week ago and told Les to stock up. He didn't believe me until yesterday when the mechanic who is also a liquor store owner, told him Tecate factory had closed down. Which means the Pacifico factory too.

Who ARE they kidding ?????

I predict they will reverse their decision. At least, I hope so. It could get very ugly, very fast.

Paco Facullo - 4-3-2020 at 03:45 PM

Baja = Friendly Mexicans and Gringo's , cold Beer, fishing, camping, Tacos, Cantinas, surfing , dirt roads, Margaritas, sunrises and sunsets...

ALL ESSENTIAL BAJA !!!

Paco Facullo - 4-3-2020 at 06:08 PM

No draconian measures but alcohol could be banned

President López Obrador on Friday ruled out any possibility of implementing “draconian measures” to contain the spread of Covid-19 but said that the government will consider banning alcohol sales.

Halting beer production triggers panic buying
An announcement that beer production and all alcohol sales will be suspended in Nuevo León beginning on Friday shocked consumers, sending many to head to liquor vendors to stock up.

Full article in today's "Mexico News Daily" ...

[Edited on 4-4-2020 by Paco Facullo]

Bajazly - 4-3-2020 at 06:10 PM

Wonder what the stock on hand is and how long they will restock orders from stores? This could be a VERY long month.

Feathers - 4-3-2020 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
:o
Who ARE they kidding ?????

I predict they will reverse their decision. At least, I hope so. It could get very ugly, very fast.

LOL!!!!

Bajazly - 4-3-2020 at 07:44 PM

It's twu, It's twu! Just went to the store and stock is getting depleted. Asked the guy at the counter and he said one more delivery tomorrow and nothing until at least the 30th.

AKgringo - 4-3-2020 at 07:48 PM

You might have to break out some 'hoarded' toilet paper to barter for beer!

Bajazly - 4-3-2020 at 07:56 PM

TP hasn't been an issue down here that I have seen other than costco one day when I stopped in to check the lines so I think it's switch to tequila when the cervesa stock is depleted.

paranewbi - 4-4-2020 at 04:44 AM

People have been making booze for a long time...

You can do more with your own hands than use a keyboard.

Get up and get going!

Cancamo - 4-4-2020 at 08:52 AM

La Ley Seca

All alcohol, sells will be suspended until further notice beginning Monday in municipio de Los Cabos. More munis to follow.

BajaBlanca - 4-4-2020 at 11:02 AM

Mind you, I am not a beer drinker, actually, I hardly drink at all. But the mechanic who owns a local liquor store was worried about 4 guys who are alcoholics and regulars at his store. I worry about them too. I am presuming that tequila and all other boozes will not be delivered? From what I understand, alcoholics can not stop cold turkey or they can die.

Paco Facullo - 4-4-2020 at 11:13 AM

And at times like these, most NEED alcohol MORE than ever !!!

Some for drinkin' some for sanitizing ...

del mar - 4-4-2020 at 11:22 AM

sounds like as soon as its declared an essential agro-industrial product we'll be back to brewing......hopefully

RFClark - 4-4-2020 at 11:37 AM

I don’t think one needs to be a fortune teller to see an increase in home brew! Same folks who sell drugs will be offering drugs and something to drink!

A comeback for the Mexican Cantinas of old! Girls, liquor and gambling!

Viva Zapata! The Campisitos have lived through much worse!

On the downside they will probably want to be paid in gold, not AMEX!

John Harper - 4-4-2020 at 11:38 AM

From what I understand, alcoholics can not stop cold turkey or they can die.

Very rarely. They'll just wish for death for a few days most likely.

John

RFClark - 4-4-2020 at 11:45 AM

When I was in the Medical Business Alcoholics on an IV had Ethanol added to their IVs to prevent the DTs and Convulsions! Restraining Patients can damage the patient, equipment and staff! Better to avoid the problem.

Paco Facullo - 4-4-2020 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

A comeback for the Mexican Cantinas of old! Girls, liquor and gambling!

One can only HOPE and PREY that comes true !!!!

RFClark - 4-4-2020 at 11:52 AM

Yes, those “Viejo Casas de Las Mujeres” always had cheap cold beer too! Corona small bottle $.25 US!

bajaric - 4-4-2020 at 01:12 PM

Pray, not prey. Right?
Going to be tough on the alcoholics.
Some are unable to stockpile because they will drink it all and must buy only as much as they can consume in one day. Low cost detox clinics coming to your area soon!
On the other hand, it's Baja. I know someone with a medical pass. catch my drift?
Viva Cantu!

Bajazly - 4-4-2020 at 01:41 PM

I'm betting the local cartels are well stocked so if it really gets bad, just have to find the local outlet.

RFClark - 4-4-2020 at 03:42 PM

Exactly who do you think runs those places now? Sorta business as usual. Including the Polica looking the other way!

This will give the “Coyotes” something for the return trip! For completely unknowable reasons Bud Lite is very popular in Baja!

Go figure! Pacifico or Victoria are way better!

Bajazly - 4-4-2020 at 04:59 PM

...For completely unknowable reasons Bud Lite is very popular in Baja!

Today in Calimax there was plenty of beer... except the giant display of Bud Light for 92 pesos a 12 pack was completely gone.

John Harper - 4-4-2020 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
...For completely unknowable reasons Bud Lite is very popular in Baja!

Today in Calimax there was plenty of beer... except the giant display of Bud Light for 92 pesos a 12 pack was completely gone.

Better they drink that crap than us.

John

RFClark - 4-4-2020 at 06:44 PM

From your mouth to God’s ear!

4x4abc - 4-4-2020 at 07:59 PM

I bought the last 2 cases of Pacifico at my local store today. Owner said no new beer until the end of May. How do I stretch 2 cases for 60 days?
Stocked up on wine during the week

Bajazly - 4-4-2020 at 08:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I bought the last 2 cases of Pacifico at my local store today. Owner said no new beer until the end of May. How do I stretch 2 cases for 60 days?
Stocked up on wine during the week

Aren't they shutting down all alcohol sales in BCS on Monday?

I feel for ya Harald, I'm gonna go into town tomorrow to get some more but it sounds like they will still sell stock on hand up here so wine and tequila should be good for a while, I hope.

AKgringo - 4-4-2020 at 08:13 PM

Looks like time to start a batch of home brew! Forget about lager, but you should be able to come up with a drinkable ale in about a month.

John Harper - 4-5-2020 at 06:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Looks like time to start a batch of home brew! Forget about lager, but you should be able to come up with a drinkable ale in about a month.

Just in time to celebrate the end of the alcohol sales ban!

John

AKgringo - 4-5-2020 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Just in time to celebrate the end of the alcohol sales ban!

John

This thread started with a notice that the breweries were directed to shut down. Home brew might be the only thing available until the supply chain gets back to full capacity!

I saw that the alcohol removed from Corona Cero (a non-alcohol beer) is being used to create hand sanitizer, so a lot of that may be available for you!

Skipjack Joe - 4-5-2020 at 02:37 PM

John

Quitting smoking is tougher.

Don Pisto - 4-5-2020 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

John

Quitting smoking is tougher.

mexico also pulled the plug on cigarette production and marketing!

pauldavidmena - 4-5-2020 at 02:50 PM

Here on Cape Cod, craft breweries are considered essential businesses and are selling their beer for safe, efficient curbside delivery.

On Long Island, my son works for a pizzeria, which is also considered an essential business. They are serving take-out only.

AKgringo - 4-5-2020 at 03:14 PM

At least in Nevada County (northern CA) restaurants that are open for take out are allowed to include c-cktails, or beers with the order. I don't know what the requirements are, but it is keeping a few kitchens working!

brucedog - 4-6-2020 at 09:17 AM

Here in Oregon the liquor and weed stores are considered essential :-)

David K - 4-6-2020 at 10:40 AM

Went shopping yesterday (San Marcos, CA)... They are metering people into the store (WinCo) so the total inside is not too great. Only about 10 minutes wait in a spaced line outside. We wore masks for the first time going out. They had everything except toilet paper, that we could notice.

We also topped the gas tank at Costco, it was $2.39 for 87 octane.

To help cut down trips to the store, and to have freshly made food, we are getting the meal ingredients delivered weekly for 3 meals per week using the Dinnerly service. So far, the meals have been good, not hard to prepare, and under $5 a meal/person, for a trial period. We did Hellofresh a couple months last year. It was really good but pricey at about $9-$11 a meal/person. Right now these services are really advertising big time, for obvious reasons.

For people who get their food from the sea, and they are not allowed onto the beach... what will they do? Can't be good! Most San Diego beaches are closed, along with all other parks and hiking trails.

John Harper - 4-6-2020 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Went shopping yesterday (San Marcos, CA)... They are metering people into the store (WinCo) so the total inside is not too great. Only about 10 minutes wait in a spaced line outside. We wore masks for the first time going out. They had everything except toilet paper, that we could notice.

Pro Tip: Find a local Mexican market, no lines, no waiting. Picked up beans, tortillas, chips, salsa, meats, and milk. In and out in a couple minutes. Have plenty of beer already.

Bonus points for supporting a small business!

John

[Edited on 4-6-2020 by John Harper]

Yucca Valley A.M. Shopping

MrBillM - 4-6-2020 at 12:22 PM

No crowds to speak of. In fact, for the first time since the Shadow of Doom began, the parking lot at Walmart was half-empty with spaces adjacent to the one entrance available. Inside, the check-stand lines were relatively short.

Unfortunately, the one item that I was interested in was in a locked cabinet. Even so, an attendant with a key showed up quicker than usual. Who (smilingly) said "don't let me interfere with your attempt to break in." Which I clarified saying "I wouldn't BREAK anything. I simply take the (waiting ) opportunity to see if I can pick the lock. I used to be fairly successful with the old style, but not these new ones".

Moving on, Stater Bros. was also lighter than usual with most items available. Some limited. The exception being NO TOILET PAPER ! The continued panic over that is STRANGE.

Meat plentiful.. Rib Eyes @5.99 lb. Lunch meat in Deli cabinet sparse.

Newspapers still available where usually sold.

On a bright note, there was original-flavor (albeit only low sodium) SPAM. Along with some of those odd flavors like Turkey, Teriyaki, Hickory Smoke. My interest was academic since we have long-since reached a fair capacity on Spam.

Tomorrow is another day.

David K - 4-6-2020 at 12:46 PM

John, we live north of Escondido and the closest smaller markets are neither as well stocked or have one item I was wanting (white chocolate macadamia nut creamer)... WinCo has it and to minimize exposure going to just one store works for us.
It is great that you have a local market to shop at!

Bill, thanks for the news where you live. Interesting to compare. We did shop for Spam last week for my in-laws shopping list and they only had the fancy ones you mentioned and not the standard kind we remember as kids!

mtgoat666 - 4-6-2020 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
No crowds to speak of. In fact, for the first time since the Shadow of Doom began, the parking lot at Walmart was half-empty with spaces adjacent to the one entrance available. Inside, the check-stand lines were relatively short.

Unfortunately, the one item that I was interested in was in a locked cabinet. Even so, an attendant with a key showed up quicker than usual. Who (smilingly) said "don't let me interfere with your attempt to break in." Which I clarified saying "I wouldn't BREAK anything. I simply take the (waiting ) opportunity to see if I can pick the lock. I used to be fairly successful with the old style, but not these new ones".

Moving on, Stater Bros. was also lighter than usual with most items available. Some limited. The exception being NO TOILET PAPER ! The continued panic over that is STRANGE.

Meat plentiful.. Rib Eyes @5.99 lb. Lunch meat in Deli cabinet sparse.

Newspapers still available where usually sold.

On a bright note, there was original-flavor (albeit only low sodium) SPAM. Along with some of those odd flavors like Turkey, Teriyaki, Hickory Smoke. My interest was academic since we have long-since reached a fair capacity on Spam.

Tomorrow is another day.

more importantly, did walmart or costco have any ventilators in stock? and if not, why not? many of us will be needing such device soon, so they say...
costco is usually good at having high-dollar items we all want, so expect costco to stock personal ventilators soon

John Harper - 4-6-2020 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
John, we live north of Escondido and the closest smaller markets are neither as well stocked or have one item I was wanting (white chocolate macadamia nut creamer)... WinCo has it and to minimize exposure going to just one store works for us.
It is great that you have a local market to shop at!

Just wanted to give people an option. Too many sheeple can't think outside the box. There's lots of small ethnic markets in San Marcos.

John

pauldavidmena - 4-7-2020 at 03:02 PM

Based upon this Gringo Gazette article, it looks like there was an about face on this decision:

This is clearly good news for those in need of a coping beverage, but please be careful when going out in public!

RFClark - 4-7-2020 at 07:24 PM

“ more importantly, did walmart or costco have any ventilators in stock? and if not, why not? many of us will be needing such device soon, so they say...
costco is usually good at having high-dollar items we all want, so expect costco to stock personal ventilators soon“

A database search of 15K Lupus suffers all of whom take Hydroxychloroquine for their Lupus has failed to identify a single case of COVID 19 among that 15K group!

Baring any other treatment over 50% of all ventilator patients with ARDS (bad Lungs) will die! If you drink, smoke, are overweight or are Diabetic your chance of dying is 4X better!

If you hate the President enough to die rather than take something he spoke of, I admire you for your conviction, if not your wisdom!

John Harper - 4-7-2020 at 07:53 PM

If you hate the President enough to die rather than take something he spoke of, I admire you for your conviction, if not your wisdom!

Jesus Holy Christ, no one "hates" the President. Would you grow up for Christ's sake? Criticism is not hatred. Get over it. What is with you people?

We may not respect him as a husband or moral person (with good reason), criticize his policies and personnel decisions, but that is not HATE. I am so sick and tired of you crybabies and your use of the word HATE. Grow up. You sound like a five year old.

John

[Edited on 4-8-2020 by John Harper]

mtgoat666 - 4-7-2020 at 08:32 PM

Jesus Holy Christ, no one "hates" the President. Would you grow up for Christ's sake? Criticism is not hatred. Get over it. What is with you people?

We may not respect him as a husband or moral person (with good reason), criticize his policies and personnel decisions, but that is not HATE. I am so sick and tired of you crybabies and your use of the word HATE. Grow up. You sound like a five year old.

John

The trump base has been brainwashed to think these things. They blindly believe every word uttered by the man-child President and his sycophants.

RFClark - 4-7-2020 at 08:39 PM

I’m sorry that I disagree with that, but there are a percentage of Americans who can’t even accept the results of our last election! They have a selection of pejoratives that the use against the President and his supporters including but not limited to “Resist”!

I think it’s sad that we can’t even agree on the safety and efficacy of a drug that’s probably had a billion doses prescribed over the last 50 years because of who spoke about it! To my way of thinking that’s “childish”!

mtgoat666 - 4-7-2020 at 08:49 PM

I’m sorry that I disagree with that, but there are a percentage of Americans who can’t even accept the results of our last election! They have a selection of pejoratives that the use against the President and his supporters including but not limited to “Resist”!

I think it’s sad that we can’t even agree on the safety and efficacy of a drug that’s probably had a billion doses prescribed over the last 50 years because of who spoke about it! To my way of thinking that’s “childish”!

Two comments.

Trump lost the popular vote, Hillary won the popular vote.

There is no science supporting trump’s prescribing hydroxychloroquine. One would think a person who rose to president would leave the science and medical recommendations to experts.

Trump amuses (and shocks us) every day when he uses his daily covid-19 briefings to go off the rails during Q&A and attack his political and imaginary foes,...

Well, that was 3 comments, you got a bonus one!

[Edited on 4-8-2020 by mtgoat666]

Getting Ventilated at Walmart ?

MrBillM - 4-7-2020 at 09:06 PM

Given that there is a continuing supply shortfall for those medical Ventilators, it doesn't seem likely to become a stocking item at the local discount store. And $25-50K each might be out of most buyer's range.

However, maybe one could jury-rig an electric tire-inflator pump. I've seen those starting @ $29.99. Cheaper than the Hydroxy-C gamble. Then, there are Shop-Vacs. Oxy tanks from the Welding supply ? Or, Aquarium pumps ? Although, the volume might be insufficient on that one. Sure, there would need to be some improvisation and experimentation, but like the Donald says "it just might work and what the Hell have you got to lose ?"

Of course, IF one has reached the Ventilator-needy stage, they've only got a 10-percent (or so) chance of staying undead so time could be a problem.

BTW, speaking of essentials, that 10-pack of TP I'd ordered from Amazon.com arrived today ahead of schedule. I found it laying inside the front gate in the pouring rain. The smallest rolls that I've ever seen. AND, judging from the originating supplier's name ............ from CHINA. Which makes sense, I guess. Those Asians are smaller, aren't they ?

coconuts - 4-7-2020 at 09:33 PM

C'mon Man, We are a little off subject! Isn't the subject here the lack of BEER sales and brewery production for consumption in Baja California Mexico. Let's all pop a cold one and chillax a little......

bajabuddha - 4-7-2020 at 09:58 PM

“ more importantly, did walmart or costco have any ventilators in stock? and if not, why not? many of us will be needing such device soon, so they say...
costco is usually good at having high-dollar items we all want, so expect costco to stock personal ventilators soon“

A database search of 15K Lupus suffers all of whom take Hydroxychloroquine for their Lupus has failed to identify a single case of COVID 19 among that 15K group!

Baring any other treatment over 50% of all ventilator patients with ARDS (bad Lungs) will die! If you drink, smoke, are overweight or are Diabetic your chance of dying is 4X better!

Been watching your posts, RFClark.... You must be slippin', this is the first post of yours I've seen that one paragraph didn't have an !EXCLAMATION POINT! at the end of it... but then again, was somebody else's quote!

!Ever notice that when EVERY SENTENCE/PARAGRAPH HAS AN EXCLAMATION POINT IT SOMETIMES OVERSHADOWS THE POINT BEING MADE BY BEING OVERSTATED BY AN EXCLAMATION POINT?????? !!!!!!!!!

SOMETIMES SHOUTING DEFEATS IT'S OWN PURPOSE !!!!!

However, your being a trumpanzee, I'm convinced this epistle is wasted.... something like "pearls to swine'' or sumpin' like that there, bucko.

Keep on shouting. :lol:

RFClark - 4-7-2020 at 11:21 PM

@B.B.,

I do understand the “Snowflake” response to the dreaded “!”. That said I learned English awhile ago when the “!” Was just used for emphasis . I will put my education and experience up against most other people’s even yours!

On the subject of things political, you make the unwanted assumption that you’re either for or against the President. There are other choices. I’m probably closer to a “Post State Marxist” than anything else! I just happen to Loath the Clinton’s! (I used that one for emphasis)

I must admit that I do enjoy seeing Statists posing as Socialists getting all purple in the face over the President. They richly deserve him. However he turns out He’s not HRC! (Emphasis again)

History will be the judge of that not you or I. Lincoln was not well thought of until he found U.S. Grant. Before you make the obvious comment, I was born in Los Angeles and my relatives fought for the north. In fact I grew up very near Watts.

bajabuddha - 4-8-2020 at 12:04 AM

I rest my case. (!)

paranewbi - 4-8-2020 at 04:43 AM

John

Not so sure about your advocating what seems self apparent and the opposite of your protestation.

The sheer number of responses to a single advocate expressed for the President or his policies by someone on this forum in the negative, accompanied by the usual name calling or pronouncements of disdain, can imply a sense of actual 'hatred'.

This can be reinforced in the advocate's perception (of hatred) by the other sources outside of this forum that portray violence, aggression or other forms of disdain against those who advocate for the President or his positions. In short, this forum is not a closed source of influence to what some may perceive in other members of this forum...it's not a single source for impressions.

We bring luggage to the discussion, whether our own or another members.

I myself have felt a sense of 'hatred' by others for my personal expression of my faith when attempting to explain or correct factual error expressed concerning it...I am personally attacked by the usual suspects.

And the fact that there are usual suspects denotes a sense of hate.

[Edited on 4-8-2020 by paranewbi]

John Harper - 4-8-2020 at 05:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  

I myself have felt a sense of 'hatred' by others for my personal expression of my faith when attempting to explain or correct factual error expressed concerning it...I am personally attacked by the usual suspects.

No one, I repeat, no one attacks you for expressing your faith. The only attacks I see directed at you are to point out your hypocrisy and lack of following what you say you believe in, especially in "living your beliefs." You often show disdain for others, a bit of self reflection might make you realize that. Nobody questions your faith or right to believe. Just your failure to stay true to what you profess.

Perhaps our buddy JJJ attacks you personally, but we all know he does the same to me, to point of snooping into our private lives. Of course, when he is challenged, he runs away, like the coward we all know he is. JJJ is truly worthy of hatred. Karma will get him, guaranteed.

John

paranewbi - 4-8-2020 at 05:44 AM

Hmmm... Actually, 'to me' (emphasis on 'to me') you sound a lot like JJJ, just a bit less neurotic. And may I point out that you validate the term you protest? hatred.

I also would note there's some desire for someone to be gotten (by Karma) and you term that with no reservation (guaranteed). Sort of making my point John.

Aggression expressed (words) or perceived (impression) denotes an air of 'hatred' which you deny exists on this forum.

Hypocrisy you decry, knows no exclusions hey John? At least as I perceive it in your words on this forum... and you in mine.

I for one, am ok with the use of hatred...as an expression. And I'm ok with how that's perceived because I can't be responsible for how one perceives a word...sort of like hypocrisy.

John Harper - 4-8-2020 at 06:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Hmmm... Actually, 'to me' (emphasis on 'to me') you sound a lot like JJJ, just a bit less neurotic. And may I point out that you validate the term you protest? hatred.

I also would note there's some desire for someone to be gotten (by Karma) and you term that with no reservation (guaranteed). Sort of making my point John.

Seriously? The observation and realization that, in life "we reap as we sow" is not hatred, just acceptance that ones's actions in life balance out in the end. Comparing me to JJJ is quite a stretch, but if that's how you feel, it's your perception, not reality. Digging in to other's private lives is not something I would ever consider acceptable.

John

paranewbi - 4-8-2020 at 06:44 AM

"it's your perception, not reality"

Sorry John, it's your 'reality' and it's arrogant to dictate what is.

Sort of like condemning others for camping on an isolated beach because they didn't succumb to giving up their perception of liberty.

Paco Facullo - 4-8-2020 at 07:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by coconuts  
C'mon Man, We are a little off subject! Isn't the subject here the lack of BEER sales and brewery production for consumption in Baja California Mexico. Let's all pop a cold one and chillax a little......

Totally !!! Why don't "those" other two, get into Hillary and Trump masks , get and Hotel room and DO each other till their too warn out to care any more ?

This thread IS about BEER or the lack of....

Lock up your beer!

AKgringo - 4-8-2020 at 08:07 AM

And try to do it when you are sober enough to remember what you did with the key!

defrag4 - 4-8-2020 at 02:11 PM

they just banned alcohol sales here in Loreto for the next month with no notification

luckily I just stocked the hell up yesterday in preparation of this coming down the tube

now if it lasts longer for a month... im going to have to get some copper lines and some maize going

RFClark - 4-8-2020 at 02:29 PM

“now if it lasts longer for a month... im going to have to get some copper lines and some maize going”

That’s the reason I have a 100’ roll of S.S. 1/4” Tube in the garage. Cause you never know.

bajabuddha - 4-8-2020 at 02:33 PM

Any ex-cons got a good recipe for prune-o? :light:

Paco Facullo - 4-8-2020 at 04:52 PM

From Mexico News Daily,,

Beer essential for enduring quarantine, say store owners
Tienditas call for its declaration as an essential product.

Beer is essential for enduring the long weeks cooped up at home to avoid the spread of Covid-19, claims the National Alliance of Small Businessowners (Anpec), which insists it be declared as such.

Major beer manufacturers halted production after the beverage failed to make the federal government’s list of essential products during the Covid-19 emergency declaration period and many states and municipalities across the country have enacted dry laws to prohibit sales.

“The isolation at home is causing states of anxiety, desperation, [and] fear that could eventually lead to episodes of irritability and intolerance, friction and disagreements between family members,” said Anpec in a statement.

“Spending all day together for over a month will have consequences and in this environment the consumption of beer at home works like a relaxant, a drink for use in moderation that contributes to enduring the strictest terms of this difficult test.”

The small businesses that Anpec represents depend on beer sales for as much as 40% of their monthly revenues and cutting them off from that income will generate significant losses for the owners, the alliance said.

It warned that beer’s status as a nonessential product could push thousands of small businesses to the brink of collapse and cause employers to lay off employees by the thousands.

“We mustn’t forget that this value chain generates over 500,000 jobs, from the field to the small business. The shortage will also cause price hikes due to speculation, affecting the already weakened economy. All of this increases the losses from the preventative measures,” Anpec said.

It pleaded with the federal government to allow beer sales to resume to avoid further negative effects.

“Just as cement and steel were recently declared essential products, [which] reactivated their production, it is necessary to do the same with the beer industry so that it can return to production.”

mtgoat666 - 4-8-2020 at 05:37 PM

Prohibition part deux!

Surely, there are rum runners in town that can supply spirits for your addiction, eh?

And if you got the goods, now is a good time to open a speak easy!

[Edited on 4-9-2020 by mtgoat666]

mtgoat666 - 4-8-2020 at 05:38 PM

If beer is unavailable, perhaps now is a good time to try pot smoking :light:

bajabuddha - 4-8-2020 at 10:51 PM

".......... Too much, too little, too late...... "

ta daa ta daaa ta daaaaa..........

Stay home, stay in, stay high, stay safe, stay mellow, keep the faith.....

I feel a song coming on... :cool:

A Tune for the Times

MrBillM - 4-9-2020 at 10:19 AM

From Mose Allison:

"I don't worry about a Thing ('Cuz I know nothing's gonna be alright)"

Skipping around the news channels this a.m. (Bloomberg, CNN, Fox, CNBC, MSNBC), I noticed one (varying) common thread ............... we seem to be entering the (anticipated) intensification of the "shaming" phase i.e. "YOU are (criminally ?) threatening your neighbor IF you don't stay at home as told."

Other than that, one interesting difference in coverage was the Fox focus (given predictions that we're going to lose a half-generation of production) on making China pay the price for OUR economic damage. And, of course, their support for the Big Orange threatening to cutoff the W.H.O. because it is THEIR fault for not responding properly.

It's going to get uglier.

"If this life is driving you to drink
Sitting round wondering just what to think
Well I've got some consolation
I'll give it to you if I might

You know, I don't worry about a thing
'Cuz I know nothing's going to be alright"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1030 hr.

Speaking of Corona Coverage and watching (at the moment) Fox, in a viewer "ask the experts" Q and A, one lady just asked:

"IF you're in Quarantine, is it OK to reuse your toothbrush ?"

WHAT, it's a shared brush ?

[Edited on 4-9-2020 by MrBillM]

white whale - 4-9-2020 at 01:58 PM

Beer in Mexico? Nothing to get excited over. I was amazed to see Bud light EVERYWHERE, if not in a cooler then empty cans in the street. People can be so easily led astray.....

As for the domestic brands - meh. Put Corona in a brown bottle the brand would disappear. Pacifico was Ok. Tecate - no thanks. I was just more impressed to see and learn Heineken bought in to the Mexico market
and they were there to sell volume @ a good price.

As for shutting down, hats off to the health officials and business for taking it seriously. That did more to drive a message than anything else the gov could have done. If Mexico City doesn't become a New York City in the next few weeks it will be a major miracle.

Heineken in Mexico

AKgringo - 4-9-2020 at 02:32 PM

I gave up drinking the real stuff quite a few years ago, but I still like an NA version, if I can find one of the few good ones.

All that used to be available in La Paz was Corona Cero (crap!) so I was pleased to discover Heineken NA at Walmart, and at a very reasonable price. It ain't real beer, but very drinkable.

UnBeer

MrBillM - 4-9-2020 at 03:33 PM

Reading the supermarket sales ads Tuesday, one item that caused a momentary W-T-F ? was Bud Light and Corona Seltzer. Given the revolting recent years offerings of beer mixed with other stuff, I was not surprised, but it turns out not to be beer at all. Just (more or less) fruit-flavored (5 %) alcoholic fizz.

WHO buys this crap ?

OK, that's a rhetorical question. The popularity of Bud Light has proven that some will drink anything.