BajaNomad

Took the dog to the lake for a few days

Pages:  1  2

Pacifico - 4-13-2020 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i have lots of guns. sadly none here in Mexico. i have recently received my permanent residence status. i assume this means i can apply for a permit? any info on this?
oddly, i find many aspects of gun culture repellent.

My Mexican rancher friends have told me that they are allowed to have a shotgun and a .22 cal. rifle. I have also heard that for other calibers, the Mexican Army is the authority and issues them in mainland Mexico. I know hunters can bring shotguns into Mexico if properly permitted. I bet you might be able to get permitted for a shotgun much easier than a center fire rifle. Interesting subject and hope someone on here has more knowledge on the subject.

pacsur - 4-13-2020 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i have lots of guns. sadly none here in Mexico. i have recently received my permanent residence status. i assume this means i can apply for a permit? any info on this?
oddly, i find many aspects of gun culture repellent.

Once your legal join a gun club.

pacificobob - 4-13-2020 at 02:27 PM

A riot pump, aka crowd-pleaser, would be a great home defence tool, maybe take a dove or two for the table.
Any info on b.c.s. gun clubs?

charliemanson - 4-13-2020 at 07:56 PM

Club Gavalines south of La Paz.
Shot a Colt 45 there last year with the Jeffe of the marines during training for the Mexican National sharp shooting championships.
Wow, what a trip...all the while drinking warm Tecate lights. Ick.

Ammo store is on 5 de mayo y Padre Kino. they will have info on how to join. You are only allowed a certain amount of ammo for a given month.
Not a bad idea for gun control.

12-Guage Pump Numero Uno @ Alto

MrBillM - 4-13-2020 at 10:06 PM

From Joseph Wambaugh's non-fiction "Lines and Shadows":

" .......Ernie Salgado's gun was loaded first with a .54-caliber rifle slug. The next rounds were buckshot, the SWAT theory being that, in a confrontation with a barricaded suspect, the slug would be of some value, since officers would be at a distance. If it was a situation where a suspect was in normal shooting range, the buckshot would be much more useful.

Ernie Salgado was supposed to be covering the house from outside - hence the rifle slug. Two of the people inside the house came out and met the cops, who were told that the kid inside the house did have a shotgun. The detective wanted Ernie and his shotgun right next to him that Sunday morning.

....... Ernie stood in front of the door with his shotgun at the ready. The detective pushed the door open and Ernie was face to face with the kid.

It was every cop's nightmare. The kid was standing on the bed. He was looking down at Ernie in the doorway. The boy had an over-and-under .410 shotgun of his own, and he was bringing it up to the face of the cop.

Ernie Salgado only heard one explosion. One long explosion. The longest explosion he'd ever heard outside of Nam.

But, it wasn't one long explosion.There were three rapid explosions. The boy fired both barrels....... Ernie fired once. The .54-caliber rifle slug, seven-eights of an ounce of lead, hit the boy full in the chest and blew a hole clean through him.

There was also a visual explosion. The huge slug, which might knock down an elephant at that range, hit an aorta. The boy exploded in blood .........".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading that back in '84, I had the idea to see what effect a 12-guage slug would have on a filled 5-gal "Sparklett's" jug and see what the slug looked like afterwards. Taking (3) @ 40lbs. each out to a favorite desert shooting spot, I set up one 35 yards away.

Jug one lifted and exploded into pieces. Slug gone, of course. I placed a section of 5/8" plywood 3-feet behind jug two which was then blown to pieces with a hole through the plywood. Jug three, I doubled the sheets of plywood. Same result. Out of jugs. No slug to examine. Never repeated the experiment, but it was clear that getting hit by one of those anywhere on the body, even a foot, would likely be fatal. Without doubt, the recipient would go down and out.

A rifled-slug is probably not the best choice for home-defense, though. Double-Ought (8-9 pellets in 12-guage) has a spread of around 4-inches @ 25 feet, as I remember.

My Pump Gun in the closet is loaded with (6) No. 4 Birdshot. Should do the job. Hope to never find out. It would leave the house a mess and the dog terrified.

Oh yeah, the wife, too.

[Edited on 4-14-2020 by MrBillM]

Mulege Canuck - 4-13-2020 at 10:40 PM

This has nothing to do with “taking the dog to the lake” but if we’re talking shotguns......

I pack a Remington 870 when I work in Grizzly country. I load it the same way, a rifled slug first the 00 buck. Had to use it a few times and it has not let me down.

As far as home defence goes, I have a German Shepard.

pacificobob - 4-14-2020 at 10:38 AM

Im with you regarding the German shepherd. No better home security helper.
When I was living my 30 years in Alaska i had 4 riot pumps. One at the cabin, the boat ,the airplane,and at home. However the only bear i ever killed was with the 44mag. [ didn't have the crowd-pleaser handy]

I didn't take my dog to a salmon stream....

AKgringo - 4-14-2020 at 11:25 AM

But if I did, I would be wearing my 44 mag in a shoulder holster! I carried a Ruger Redhawk for a while ( top notch pistol) but for handling and natural point in an emergency, the model 29 is my choice.

Our "camp gun" on family outings in bear country, was a 20 gauge Remington 870 with a rifled slug barrel. Everybody in the family could handle it better than a 12 gauge, and the ability to hit the target is more important than what you hit it with!

We never had to fire on a bear, but had a few encounters that had one of us viewing the critter over iron sights.

If the predator I was worried about was human, I agree with the choice of a 357 magnum. I do not feel the need to carry right now, and even if someone was trying to break into my house I would have to get into my safe before I could get to my .40 Smith and Wesson. Safety first people!

[Edited on 4-14-2020 by AKgringo]

A Serious Question ................

MrBillM - 4-14-2020 at 03:54 PM

For those who favor the "Big Dog" first line of home defense:

Are you relying on the intimidation factor or the confrontation factor ? Bark, bite or both ?

While I've owned a few large breeds over the years (including one loving German Shepherd), none had the temperament (or training) which would give me confidence in an intruder situation. More likely to greet the intruder with a lick or an invitation to play ball.

Most of my Chihuahuas (including and especially present company) have had the temperament, but @ 8-12 lbs., not much deterrent value. Especially in cold weather when buried under the covers sleeping through the odd noises in the night.

A final thought would be that I would hate to depend on the Canine defense as my line in the sand (or hallway). THAT "could" go awry. I KNOW that I can trust a firearm to do whatever that I decide needs done. Past experience gives me the confidence that (given the opportunity) I would do what's necessary.

I do understand that some people (with others, especially minors around) feel the need to lock up their firearms, but we don't (for the most part) face that impediment.

When gone overnight, we DO lock up those not taken along.

pacificobob - 4-14-2020 at 04:41 PM

There is clearly a place for both a good dog and firearms in the right hands.
Both German shepherds i had possessed the ability to sus out a scene remarkably well.
On a few occasions, well before i was aware of harmful intentions by folks in my environment.
Really excellent situational awareness.
I would have one now but i feel like the bond between a GS and its owner is such that they should be together every day. Currently not workable with my lifestyle. Instead we have a couple Mexican mutts that make noise to announce unknown visitors.

Mulege Canuck - 4-14-2020 at 05:23 PM

I have always had German Shepards. As previously stated, they really bond with the owner and family and are especially protective of your kids.

Shepards are a real mixed bag. Either a natural born killer or a big goof that wants to sit on your lap. My current one is a goof but this breed has a real protective instinct when sheet goes sideways.

I have a word I yell when I need my big goof to bring his A game. He is not attacked trained but has scared off some malo hombres once in baja . If you want an attack trained dog that is a serious commitment. It is no longer a pet but a working dog.

My previous shepherd was a killer. Like a lamb with the family but I would not trust him with anyone. He worked with me in the bush and was great out there. No way would I take that animal to a dog park

“Home defence” is something I really don’t think about because I live in the sticks, but it is nice having a four legged alarm system.

bajaric - 4-16-2020 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
I came to a conclusion when confronted by 3 men while my wife and I were in Mexico. Two had guns, a revolver and an auto, the guy with the auto racked it when he came up behind me. They wanted money and the keys to the bikes on the back of our RV.

When one of them made a motion that indicated he wanted get with my wife I said no. The knife he had in his hand came at my neck and I instinctively raised my hand which was stabbed through with the knife. They all looked at each other and ran off with what they had. I suspected they realized I wasn't going chicken and they were not intent on killing me. That's when I learned something.

I wonder if you could share the circumstances of where you were when that happened? off by yourself in the middle of nowhere? Side of the highway? Private residence? Enquiring minds want to know for future reference where it is unsafe. thanks.

paranewbi - 4-16-2020 at 11:47 AM

About 2 hours north of Los Mochis heading south. Tried stopping a while earlier near a town but the authorities (nice guys) told us it was not safe in that community.

Headed down the highway and with weary eyes (late) we stopped off the highway next to a large tomato field/packing facility. We spoke to the guard at the gate to the facility and then parked our RV next to the tall fence surrounding it.

Stepped out to look at the stars for a few moments and some guys on the other side of the fence engaged us (my wife) in conversation. They said we were safe where we were.

Went back into the RV and opened a bottle of Blue Nun and sat for about an hour while we conversed at the dinning table. There was a knock at the door and I went to the little kitchen window over the sink to see who it was.

It was a young man (I thought maybe one of the guys on the other side of the fence) and he said his boss wanted to talk to us. We were both pretty seasoned Mex/Central America travelers and to us this meant either he was gonna tell us to leave, or invite us in for a conversation, or maybe give us some tips on where we were headed (which we had been many times on this road and points south).

I told my wife to say ok and to give us a minute. She went to the back room to get a sweater and as she came out of the room I opened the door and stepped out to the young man who was toward the front of the RV.

I heard the rack of an automatic pistol behind me and looked back to see two guys coming around the back of the RV with handkerchiefs over their faces to their eyes. I turned back toward the young man and he was pulling one up over his face and holding a revolver at my face.

I immediately turned and pushed my wife back from her position on the steps, still inside the RV and said 'robbers'. We always practice situational occasions for a time just like this and that was her cue word to isolate in the back room (where we had Mace and a locking door) which she did.

I quickly stepped into the RV and took a position between the dinette and the cabinet basin for the sink. This put me in a position to keep anyone from going further into the RV than the passenger/driver/engine cowling area.

The young man stopped on the first step and held the revolver at me as a shorter young man moved into the engine cowling area and stood there with a knife made of a stick with twine holding a fashioned 4 inch blade on it. He did most of the talking demanding money which I handed to the guy with the revolver (fanny pack with only travelers checks in it) and he tossed it to the guy with the auto who was still outside.

I think I covered the rest of what occurred in the RV in my last post. If you want the rest of the story I will write it out and it's actually way crazier then the actual robbery.

I should have known better than to park next to a facility where the most poor are housed as workers. I do now.

Another Corona Day

MrBillM - 4-16-2020 at 12:31 PM

Where Have All the People GONE ?

Today, in Yucca Valley, it appeared that the answer was Home Depot !

Driving over to pick up a few cans of Spray Paint, there was a W-T-F moment as I came around into the parking lot. The place was packed. Biggest crowd that I've ever seen there. A (fairly) short line at the only open entrance guarded by a PPE-garbed employee with (for some reason) a clipboard.

Having not seen any crowds elsewhere (including today) during this Corona Chaos, I was surprised, but mi esposa noted "Well, we've heard on TV that those staying home are catching up on all their home projects."

Apparently so.

I decided paying an extra buck per can @ Builders Supply was a better idea. Better infection odds. Only two other customers in the store. One of which (an unmasked Geezer) was cautioned by the clerk "you should have a mask, but I know you so it's OK this time". ???

Speaking of supplies (in this case Abarrotes), watching the coverage regarding the "Smithfield" shutdowns last night, the media kept using variations on coming "shortages" and "PANIC". Uh-oh. Sure enough, stopping @ Stater Bros. for milk, etc., the meat case had a LOT more vacant space than previously. Fresh meat had been one category that was never short.

As an aside, mi esposa who (unlike me) watches the L.A. news constantly, mentioned that they had reported a significant run on refrigerator purchases. Which (she suggested) might be a GOOD idea. As in ............ "the BIGGEST that will fit !" I suggested that she "Lighten Up".

Add to the list of those little nagging problems that the shutdown has created ................. mi chihuahua's toenails in need of trimming.

We called our regular Vet ayer. No dice-emergencies only. This a.m., the same result with the (few) other vets. Stopping at (an almost deserted) Petco, we have a 2 p.m. appointment IF we bring along a current Rabies certificate. Which makes sense. Especially with our chihuahua. A muzzle is De Rigueur first thing whenever he's handed over to a tech.

When we chose two-year old "Casey" eight years back at the shelter, they had said "We need to advise you that he does have personality problems. After we picked him up on the street, no one ever called on him and when we adopted him out previously, he was returned."

He is a unique character. He doesn't like kids, but then ........ neither do I.

BajaMama - 4-17-2020 at 02:25 PM

When I lived in NV I was CCW licensed in 33 states. I never felt the need to carry a weapon but if I felt the need to travel with a firearm it was a Glock 19 with a HC magazine. But then I fired a Springfield 40. I am a small woman with small hands but that was the most comfortable firearm I have ever fired. Now we are in California and don't shoot too often....
 Pages:  1  2