BajaNomad

Mulege muni closing Highway 1 to non-essential traffic

defrag4 - 4-9-2020 at 05:55 PM

video shows officers turning away any tourist/non-essential traffic from Mulege muni :o

https://www.facebook.com/guerrerodesal/videos/55074646582144...

Here is a google translation of a recent statement by the Presidente Municipal of Mulegé
Mulegé, Baja California Sur (BCS). The mayor of Mulegé, José Felipe Prado Bautista mentioned in an interview that, people who "irresponsibly went on vacation" without abiding by sanitary measures, after the arrival of the Coronavirus, will not be able to enter until the contingency ends; Likewise, he warned that those who intend to leave must do so with justification, and that if they do not, they must not return.
"Whoever leaves this municipality clearly knows that if it is not something that can be prosecuted, they leave the municipality completely free, but with the caveat that if they return they will not be able to enter until we have been lifted by the health authorities in some way, that We no longer have so much risk, "said the mayor.
The Mayor made it clear that he will not put his governed at risk since he wants to avoid cases of deaths from COVID-19 as they have arisen in La Paz, so he stressed that vacationers will have to wait to return even if they have commitments work, because they did not meet the recommendations.
"I believe that these people who went on vacation not attending to the indications that were made known in all media, we are already talking about irresponsibility, today the decision is that no one enters Mulegé even if they are residents but left for a cause justified, they will have to return until the emergency passes, "said Prado Bautista.
Felipe Prado assured that only food providers and citizens who have attended a medical appointment in other municipalities will have the right to return to Mulegé, since they are force majeure exits and entrances.
"Only those who have had a health activity enter, and also those who bring food and merchandise, this with the intention of stopping the importation of some visitors both from the north side and from the other municipalities of the state of Baja California Sur," he explained. the Municipal President.
Finally, he said that in order to make this decision, assessments were made, because according to him, it is a measure that will cause legal and citizen reactions; likewise, he indicated that he will request the help of elements of the Navy and National Guard to monitor the entrances and exits of his municipality.
"After many evaluations, many revised issues and of course also subjecting ourselves to some legal reaction and even, there is no other; We have just given the instruction to the Municipal Police and Civil Protection requesting the collaboration of the other instances, the Ministry of Health, the National Guard, the Navy and Sedena so that they can join us in the municipal district of Mulegé, both in the northern part and in the southern part ”, he concluded.

[Edited on 4-10-2020 by BajaNomad]

Bruce R Leech - 4-9-2020 at 07:10 PM

Good

RnR - 4-9-2020 at 07:57 PM

Were are the boundaries of the Municipality of Mulege?

The video link shows the roadblock for southbound traffic pretty much at the state line between Baja (Norte) and Baja Sur. I think that is the Eagle monument in the background and the police are in the parking pulloffs just north of the ag spray station.. Can anybody else ID the location?

It is definitely nowhere near the town of Mulege itself. The land is too flat and there are NO hills or mountains anywhere in sight. The Sea of Cortez side is just not that flat ....

Where is the southern boundary of Mulege and is northbound traffic being stopped also?

[url=https://www.facebook.com/guerrerodesal/videos/550746465821440/?fref=mentions&__xts__[0]=68.ARBjmvTJcMPq1TYqN_rR6MtwOXS4pr7eFhKf0jo1cTpPNkHXpG VHroV%20j_qajph6cvMCUhIrAvZ-n-Z43rKyq7yw5R5cyWn1gJCYg01hk9EsnO_aEHYmnylsOnKcNTC4PxrjhpcpYabVjztJaguRQfXHj04YSKz_nD5yE1LhLVaRw8df14H0Lnl2029WR60Asp9pG4 5khl9P0I%20Me3ucig_vQM2_Lw-8oo4EmcHsAEHssbiF7OEwGum5DMDukC43daX0qp_aJMcxM7qqd-V80FKOqFsGRwZYeUAtGkaeIzxrNuEmMZR6w99B9PMS2zg-d_WwV7W8Y&__tn__=K-R]M ulege Roadblock[/url]

can not get the link to paste in correctly to the post, but if you copy and paste into the browser, it will load.

[Edited on 4-10-2020 by RnR]

55steve - 4-9-2020 at 08:12 PM

The municipality of Mulege begins at the BCS border - not sure where the southern jurisdiction point ends.

[Edited on 4-10-2020 by 55steve]

mtgoat666 - 4-9-2020 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
The municipality of Mulege begins at the BCS border - not sure where the southern jurisdiction point ends.

[Edited on 4-10-2020 by 55steve]

Mulege municipality stretches from state border to south end of Bahia Concepcion.

mtgoat666 - 4-9-2020 at 08:44 PM

CIERRA FRONTERAS MULEGÉ.... NADIE SALE NI ENTRA!!!

Guerrero Negro (Baja California Sur).- En una medida histórica y unilateral, el presidente municipal Felipe Prado Bautista decidió cerrar las carreteras de ingreso al municipio de Mulegé con elementos de la Policía Municipal, para no permitir el ingreso de personas, salvo los que transporten víveres o tengan una situación médica de emergencia.

Hoy mismo fue instalado un retén por oficiales de la Policía Municipal y personal de protección civil en esta localidad, donde ya se comenzó a regresar a turistas norteamericanos que regularmente transitan por esa vía.

En entrevista con el medio GUERRERO DE SAL, el alcalde Felipe Prado Bautista dijo que ante la emergencia de la epidemia de coronavirus, donde Mulegé está aún libre de contagios, se decidió cerrar el paso a todas las personas en tránsito, incluyendo turistas.

Aunque dice que es una medida controversial, el edil sostuvo que solo busca proteger a las comunidades de esta enfermedad que se está transmitiendo de persona a persona y que en caso de llegar, ocasionaría serios problemas por no contar infraestructura de salud suficiente.

Agregó que los residentes del municipio de Mulegé que salieron de vacaciones, no podrán ingresar salvo que sean sometidos a profunda revisión médica y se descarten como portadores de covid-19.

Solicitó a los muleginos no abandonar los límites territoriales, pues de salir, ya no podrán regresar. De la misma forma, los camiones de transportes de pasajeros no podrán dejar ni recoger pasaje en ninguna de las localidades muleginas y quienes deseen viajar al norte, que mejor lo hagan en avión.

Felipe Prado Bautista pidió a la población permanecer en sus hogares y, además, confirma que giró instrucción a la Policía Municipal para que no se permita la circulación de ningún vehículo en horas de la noche. "Quienes lo hagan, serán detenidos y sometidos a una revisión minuciosa y si traen bebidas alcohólicas, los remitirán a barandilla donde se les aplicarán fuertes sanciones".

Fuente. El metichon

mtgoat666 - 4-9-2020 at 08:46 PM

And in SQ...

INSTALAN FILTRO SANITARIO
#SanQuíntinBC El dia de hoy por instrucciones de la secretaría de Salud en colaboración con grupos de rescate voluntarios, Guardia Nacional, Ejército Mexicano, Policía Municipal y bajo la dirección de una epidemiologa se esta llevando a cabo el primer filtro de blindaje a la zona, esto en la delegación de Punta Colonet.

Se esta buscando padecimientos respiratorios en los automovilistas que estan intentando ingresar a la region. El operativo va dirigido en especifico turistas y personas provenientes de otras de ciudades con altos índices de casos confirmados para Covid-19.

Cortesía

23S52N - 4-10-2020 at 08:35 AM

The title of this thread notes shutting down hwy 1 but there is nothing in the text nor in the news report on this to indicate the highway is shutting down, only preventing people entering the town. Does anyone have concrete input as to whether they are allowing northbound travellers not intending to stop to pass through?

gnukid - 4-10-2020 at 09:11 AM

misinfo - the city of Mulege has a filter for essential traffic, the hi way is open for people going north and south.

defrag4 - 4-10-2020 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
misinfo - the city of Mulege has a filter for essential traffic, the hi way is open for people going north and south.

Municipio cerrado, not city cerrado, as of now the highway is NOT open

https://tribunadeloscabos.com.mx/desde-hoy-nadie-entra-y-nad...

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/mulege-cierra-sus5-fronteras-alca...

https://www.elsudcaliforniano.com.mx/?fbclid=IwAR2oNPcnClqxp...

[Edited on 4-10-2020 by defrag4]

defrag4 - 4-10-2020 at 10:08 AM

now I dont think actually think the muni president has the legal right to block a federal highway, but the people are backing him up, so we shall see how long it lasts

he says if you are traveling north you should take a plane, i havent seent reports of any northbound vehicle travelers who have tried to cross yet

southbound looks to be pretty locked up tight though

[Edited on 4-10-2020 by defrag4]

Bob and Susan - 4-10-2020 at 02:05 PM

the mulege county is currently closed … north border and south border

only food trucks are allowed to pass (probably gas too)

the notice says if you want to leave from the south you should fly

anyone driving at night will be arrested

the stay at home order ends April 30

Skipjack Joe - 4-10-2020 at 03:19 PM

I have it on good authority that you are not restricted from traveling north through the checkpoint at Guerrero Negro. They will not, however, let you come back south through that point. This comes from an official who is doing the checking this morning at said point.

Bob and Susan - 4-10-2020 at 03:25 PM

that's probably true but if coming from loreto or la paz or cabo you cant get in

you have to fly out

they are really serious here

[Edited on 4-10-2020 by Bob and Susan]

chumlee57 - 4-10-2020 at 07:42 PM

We will all find out soon enough, I sure wouldn't want to travel during this particular time. Common sense says, 'holed up' and ride it out where you are. Sheltering in place in Baja would've been a preferable method for this particular time, but Mexico got the memo wrong and with all the stark indications, acted way too late. It's old news now, so forget it. For the most part we will all be just fine, the 20% that are seriously effected, most may indeed be elderly, which is brutal, out of that 20% maybe 5% don't make it, even more brutal. Pay attention citizen, make bright and cautious decisions, thinking most are retired or otherwise can make adjustments to thier schedules if need be. Stay safe & healthy

Skipjack Joe - 4-10-2020 at 09:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  

For the most part we will all be just fine, the 20% that are seriously effected, most may indeed be elderly, which is brutal, out of that 20% maybe 5% don't make it, even more brutal.

I don't know where you get your numbers.

sub-buzz-467-1584141264-8.jpg - 61kB

paranewbi - 4-11-2020 at 04:17 AM

"Source: Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention"

Totally sold out Skip?

No wonder you live in fear.

[Edited on 4-11-2020 by paranewbi]

Skipjack Joe - 4-11-2020 at 04:53 AM

Do your own research Paranewbi. Google search corona fatalities by age and come up with some different graphs. Do something constructive rather than riding my tail and feeding off me. Contribute something worthwhile.

Refrain from the personal attacks or I'm going to drop to your level. I don't come here for the mud slinging.

paranewbi - 4-11-2020 at 05:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Do your own research Paranewbi. Google search corona fatalities by age and come up with some different graphs. Do something constructive rather than riding my tail and feeding off me. Contribute something worthwhile.

Refrain from the personal attacks or I'm going to drop to your level. I don't come here for the mud slinging.

Here ya go Skip...

See any difference in the reports between your Chinese one and San Diego? Seems like most are in the middle of the accounting and not in the upper aged.

Your regurgitating a known and exposed source, that is not accepted as accurate by most all agencies around the world, and condemnation is falling on WHO for relying or regurgitating such material should be cause for not perpetrating a false impression to cause fear.

As for your childish threats of some form of disparagement of me...stick to evidence and sourcing as your strength. I don't fear empty attacks.

paranewbi - 4-11-2020 at 05:47 AM

Just to clarify... the difference between the 80+ age group is in San Diego they account for only 5.3% less than 1/3 as in your Chinese report.

And as there are about 3 million of us in SD the 80+ deaths from C-19 somewhere in the .10 % of the population in total...

Live in fear, die in fear, your choice. But don't live in ignorance.

Skipjack Joe - 4-11-2020 at 06:00 AM

Those are raw numbers not percentages. That information is useless for anything other than a census of what's going on in San Diego. Of course the numbers for the elderly are small. There are fewer of them around. People want to know the likelihood of what will happen in their own age bracket. That was the original reference in this thread.

So you presented inappropriate data and came up with the wrong conclusions. If this was a homework assignment most any teachers would give you a D. D for dumb, which is how you strike me.

Also, those numbers are cases, not deaths. We're talking about survival rate (deaths/cases per age group).

[Edited on 4-11-2020 by Skipjack Joe]

David K - 4-11-2020 at 06:53 AM

I thought us "baby boomers" (aka "elderly") were a big % of the population here? I joined Nomad when I was in my 40s, now I am 62... that is my age bracket and I don't think I am alone here.

AKgringo - 4-11-2020 at 07:01 AM

Quote "We're talking about survival rate (deaths/cases per age group)"

Actually, we were talking about highway 1 through Mulege being closed. Can we please stay on topic?

paranewbi - 4-11-2020 at 07:04 AM

Here's how it's not so fearful skip...

The number of people in SD that are 80+ and have C19 is nill compared to the total number of population (which DK observes seems to have a high percentage of us oldies).

Deducing the nill as if even being accountable for all of the reported 44 deaths (my wife a covid nurse says nada to that) makes the percentage high for those known cases...not for the population.

The TOTAL number of deaths out of 1600+ is only about 2% in my town, not the 14+% for over 80's in China.

So logic implies that 44 deaths (ok, rising) amongst 3 million people from C19 is not one of the greatest concerns in this town...financial ruin from panic based on those numbers is and THAT is dumb.

Skipjack Joe - 4-11-2020 at 07:51 AM

Paranewbi,

You've got 44 deaths per 1693 cases. There is no data on how that breaks down by age. Even if there was, the sample size is too small. That's why WHO and virtually every news outlet (BBC, NBC, you name it) is using the data from China. They went through it first with 80,000 cases and did the stats.

Don't believe the data from China? Do you believe the data from CDC?

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm

"This first preliminary description of outcomes among patients with COVID-19 in the United States indicates that fatality was highest in persons aged ≥85, ranging from 10% to 27%, followed by 3% to 11% among persons aged 65–84 years, 1% to 3% among persons aged 55-64 years, <1% among persons aged 20–54 years, and no fatalities among persons aged ≤19 years."

Regarding this being off topic:
This topic is about closing hwy 1 to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Then somebody posted not to worry, the stats show the likelihood of dying is very small. Which I corrected by giving the stats on death for the elderly, which are pretty high. Then we went off on to China ...

paranewbi - 4-11-2020 at 08:03 AM

OH I GET IT... Only considering deaths among those over 80!!

Pretty much a given, since most ALL deaths occur as a higher percentage for ALL who are over 80

The number from covid is still nill.

David K - 4-11-2020 at 08:28 AM

Every day I live over 80 (if I make that far) would be either a gift or a travesty... either way, they are bonus years. Why are we making any deal at all about virus deaths at an age when it is normal to die? Just wondering for conversation, not argument, ok? How many people over 80 die from the flu every year?

paranewbi - 4-11-2020 at 08:29 AM

The real point of the counter statistics to what is presented by others is that fear based on sensationalism gives birth the vigilantism. That is what seems to be occurring in some of the towns in Mexico (Mexicodailynews.com)

Where I live there is no road blockages, closed access to communities or limit of travel by police action. Yes beaches, parks, etc., but that is ridiculous because hundreds line up at local stores before opening hours spaced by a shopping cart.

Why does Baja residents think it should be so different down there? Fear.

Skipjack Joe - 4-11-2020 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Why are we making any deal at all about virus deaths at an age when it is normal to die?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll ask you that question when you reach 80.

I don't know if you've been following the news but that's why all the sacrifices are being made for. For the grandparents. Those college kids in Florida were not shamed because they were infected but because of those who they were going to infect. And even if you make it it's not like you're on your feet up and rosy again. You're sick for weeks, months. If you survive and you're old you could never be the same again.

So what do you propose? That we do nothing because we're under 80 and they should die anyway? So the world is crazy going through all this for nothing. Their judgment is wrong. Nations are tanking their economies uselessly. Kids should be sent to school to infect one another.

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  

The number from covid is still nill.

I don't even understand this.

Skipjack Joe - 4-11-2020 at 09:22 AM

There is also the problem of medical service. Those people are worn to a frazzle. Many work shifts round the clock. There just aren't enough personnel to handle the seriously ill whether they survive or not. What would happen if you did nothing as you suggest? Who is going to administer help to the onslaught of patients such a move would produce? I mean, you have to consider the consequences when you make such proposals.

David K - 4-11-2020 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Why are we making any deal at all about virus deaths at an age when it is normal to die?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll ask you that question when you reach 80.

I don't know if you've been following the news but that's why all the sacrifices are being made for. For the grandparents. Those college kids in Florida were not shamed because they were infected but because of those who they were going to infect. And even if you make it it's not like you're on your feet up and rosy again. You're sick for weeks, months. If you survive and you're old you could never be the same again.

So what do you propose? That we do nothing because we're under 80 and they should die anyway? So the world is crazy going through all this for nothing. Their judgment is wrong. Nations are tanking their economies uselessly. Kids should be sent to school to infect one another.

I don't even understand this.

You cherry picked my reply, why? I didn't want to argue about it. I had questions, you missed...

Now, if you are going to quote me, leave the quote as it was:

Every day I live over 80 (if I make that far) would be either a gift or a travesty... either way, they are bonus years. Why are we making any deal at all about virus deaths at an age when it is normal to die? Just wondering for conversation, not argument, ok? How many people over 80 die from the flu every year?

motoged - 4-11-2020 at 09:45 AM

Igor,
You have had some experience with termites. Nasty little buggers that can ruin a great place if left to their design....likely not very smart.....but operating in a pre-programmed way.

Don't know if you got the termite issue resolved, but believe using logic with them was a waste of time and effort (as passionate as your wishes were).....

One Nomad has a sig line saying something about how trying to teach pigs to sing is a frustrating activity .... :light:

Skipjack Joe - 4-11-2020 at 10:35 AM

You cherry picked my reply, why? I didn't want to argue about it. I had questions, you missed...

Now, if you are going to quote me, leave the quote as it was:

Ok, I thought the idea that we should ignore this because these people are a small percentage of the population was central to your argument. But apparently your intention was to direct this to the flu numbers.

You are comparing treated flu numbers to treated (self isolation) coronavirus numbers. But then you're recommending that coronavirus be ignored. So then what would be the numbers be if the pandemic were to run rampant, for those are the numbers you are suggesting we have? There were projections for such things. I believe the number given was 2.5 million deaths in the US. That's the number you should be comparing to. But as mentioned before. The health system in this country is prepared to handle the flu cases we get. Every grocery store now gives free flu shots. The system would just be overwhelmed with corona patients. Have you seen the videos from Italy? Even New York. There are beds in Central Park. And that's with a lockdown.

The other thing to consider is the seriousness of corona with flu. We are exposed to the flu year after year after year. Are bodies know what's coming. Coronavirus is similar, in my opinion, to what happened to Native Americans when exposed to smallpox in the 19th century. They died like flies. They had no self immunity and it just destroyed entire villages. We're in the same boat now. Things escalate really fast.

chuckie - 4-11-2020 at 12:25 PM

SO? Is Mulege flocking closed or flocking not?

SFandH - 4-11-2020 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
SO? Is Mulege flocking closed or flocking not?

Bought food and beer in town yesterday morning. The Bahia Concepcion beaches are beautifully empty. We visited a couple in my 14-foot aluminum motorboat yesterday afternoon. It was a bit windy and choppy, but sunny and warm. The water temp is swimable.

23S52N - 4-11-2020 at 02:35 PM

I read today from both north and south bloques that they are allowing thru traffic to pass. Both are from the horse's mouth. Damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead. Time to shoot this horse. For all those trying to head north, including myself, decision time is here. My truck is almost packed. A little advice to those smug naysayers: blend up a quart of Maggies and retire to your little Paraiso. God willing, we Nomads will be back this fall. Holding onto the joystick and heading to the LZ. My best to everyone staying behind, wish I was one of you.

23S52N - 4-11-2020 at 02:42 PM

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2930343080331728?view=permalin...

I am only hoping this works. Baja Talks, but also another member talking to Federal Policia at GN.

This really is a time to start pulling together, help and support each other to get through this SS as members of a common species. I believe when you see the positive side of this, you will see mother earth finally taking charge and telling us to give our heads a shake and start living responsible lives learning how to be good stewards of her and each other. We've done so much disservice to this orb in such a short time in the name of Me and Gluttony. Time to Get Back To The Basics of Life....

[Edited on 4-11-2020 by 23S52N]