BajaNomad

Mexico Re-open?

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Alm - 4-24-2020 at 03:52 PM

When I look at the coronavirus daily statistics, it is not any safer to reopen now than it was in March. In fact, it is more dangerous now because there are more infected people around, and daily cases keep coming. They will probably start reopening sector by sector some time in May, and it will be done for purely economic reasons. I hope they will not reopen US borders for another couple of months, nothing good will come out of this for the neighbors both South and North.

pacificobob - 4-24-2020 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Quote: Originally posted by BobbyC  
The US is most certainly going to go through a very painful and slow recovery and Mexico will probably have an even harder time ever getting back to even with the price of oil so low and tourism nearly zero. But something tells me that the average American is going to complain a lot more than the average Mexican.

South of the border people are much more accustomed to dealing with and adapting to a bad hand of cards and while they won't be as well off financially, I really believe that they'll be a lot happier overall in dealing with whatever lies ahead.

We Americans are spoiled and are not well equipped to deal with this as our parents and grandparents were a century ago.

NO truer words have ever been spoken...................

X3!

bajabuddha - 4-24-2020 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

There is a heard immunity and then there is a heard behavior.
Never have understood why folks govern their behavior on hearsay. ;D

I wonder if the HERD HEARD of that? :?:

Skipjack Joe - 4-24-2020 at 04:56 PM

The curve of new cases has not plateaued yet, it's still going up, i.e. every week more new cases than in the week before.

What is up with that? I look at the graphs of France, Germany, Spain, and Italy and the number of cases have all gone down. What are we doing wrong? NY case load hasn't dropped an iota in almost 3 weeks despite the lockdown. We were told that we can't match China because we're a democracy but these European countries are all western democracies.

The initial projection with lockdowns was to be 100,00 - 240,000. Then they said we're doing great it will be 60,000. Well, we're at 50,000 now and losing about 2,000 a day. There goes that projection. And they're projecting a vaccine in 12-18 months? It's hard to trust them.

[Edited on 4-24-2020 by Skipjack Joe]

What the Herd Heard

MrBillM - 4-24-2020 at 04:58 PM

Given the context, it might have been a malapropism or (intended) sarcasm. The herd's behavior is based upon what they've heard, seen, read.

paranewbi - 4-25-2020 at 05:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
San Clemente opened beaches and surf yesterday...watched with envy on surfline cam as guys surfed in beautiful water and sunshine. People hung out on beach and lifeguards drifted by.

Sunset Cliffs here in San Diego was crowded for sunset and everyone's waiting for the beaches to open in a day or two. Mission trails and parks are open for walking now also.

Maybe Mexico will have the benefit of observing how it goes here and if it goes well, then they will follow suit in a few weeks or so.

Clean post. Informative. Tied into thread subject as a noted opportunity to observe progress of trend in cited cases of re-opening certain limited spaces with a benefit for Mexico to take note of outcome.

Then used by others as an opportunity to vent and introduce non-topic responses. Who'd of thought.

BobbyC - 4-25-2020 at 08:35 AM

San Clemente opened beaches and surf yesterday...watched with envy on surfline cam as guys surfed in beautiful water and sunshine. People hung out on beach and lifeguards drifted by.

Sunset Cliffs here in San Diego was crowded for sunset and everyone's waiting for the beaches to open in a day or two. Mission trails and parks are open for walking now also.

Maybe Mexico will have the benefit of observing how it goes here and if it goes well, then they will follow suit in a few weeks or so.

Clean post. Informative. Tied into thread subject as a noted opportunity to observe progress of trend in cited cases of re-opening certain limited spaces with a benefit for Mexico to take note of outcome.

Then used by others as an opportunity to vent and introduce non-topic responses. Who'd of thought.

Could be due to the fact that it made ZERO sense to suggest that Mexico could have even thought about reopening in a "few weeks". Have you paid any attention whatsoever to what is happening south of the border right now with the daily new cases growing exponentially?

Mexico is nowhere near being able to even think about "reopening" yet. Especially in light of all the reports of a massive lack in testing with some believing the real numbers to be anywhere from 30 to 50 times higher.

MxNewCases.jpg - 67kB

[Edited on 4-25-2020 by BobbyC]

Not Knowing where they were Going, BUT ..........

MrBillM - 4-25-2020 at 09:08 AM

So Cal is on the move.

Surprisingly, yesterday's midday traffic (cars, trucks, SUVs, RVs) through Yucca Valley out on Hwy 62 was heavy as any Getaway day prior to the crisis. It took (2) signal cycles to get through the 62/247 intersection.

Like it or not, crowded times are coming here and elsewhere.

We'll see how it turns out. I've got no problem with the coming and going. It's the getting-together that's the worry.

Last Monday, finally giving in to mi esposa's nagging and yielding to the growing hunger for KFC, we did a drive-through in Banning. The process and exchange between the staff and me was a bit weird, but understandable. So far, so good. Still undecided on tempting fate again today on the way up the mountain.

Having to take mi esposa to the "Urgent Care" ayer was even scarier. Especially, since the visit ended up taking nearly (3) hours.

NORMAL is WAY over the far horizon.

Alm - 4-25-2020 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

The curve of new cases has not plateaued yet, it's still going up, i.e. every week more new cases than in the week before.

What is up with that? I look at the graphs of France, Germany, Spain, and Italy and the number of cases have all gone down. What are we doing wrong?

One possible explanation is that European countries have higher population density and more "social" culture. They've gone through this faster than the Americas. Everybody got infected, 4-7% died, the rest have recovered, hard to tell for how long. They are still seeing some re-infected patients. Unknown number of people left with damage to liver and heart.

paranewbi - 4-25-2020 at 12:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

"if it all goes well... a few weeks or so". Did you notice the preposition before the modified sentence? If and or so are what you fail to see.

I guess it's true what they say, 'write on a seventh grade level'.

Devastating argument which surely will shut up that illiterate. :lol:

Say, you are aware that "if" is a conjunction, right?

I get it, you were just being sarcastic, but still... ;)

If is also a conditional clause which is the more pertinent use. Of course the reply from the original poster was a go to distraction of posting a photo of Trump...that was my second post; a valid clean post gets responded to with distraction.

Feathers - 4-25-2020 at 04:43 PM

Here Comes the Sun: The Good News about COVID-19 the Media Apparently Doesn't Want You to Know

https://pjmedia.com/trending/here-comes-the-sun-the-good-new...

Alm - 4-25-2020 at 08:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Feathers  
Here Comes the Sun: The Good News about COVID-19 the Media Apparently Doesn't Want You to Know

I would like to see where these numbers are coming from.

Sources like Webmd are more reliable, with references to studies published in serious journals. Here it is on heat, UV and humidity: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200409/dont-count-on-warme....

Population study:
"...the spread ability of COVID-19 would not change with increasing temperature. Likewise, adjusting for temperature and humidity, the amount of UV sunlight also didn't affect transmission rates".

Lab study:
"...show a relationship between higher temperatures and humidity levels and reduced survival of the COVID-19 virus in the laboratory". Note: in laboratory.

Feathers - 4-26-2020 at 06:54 AM

I would like to see where these numbers are coming from.

Sources like Webmd are more reliable, with references to studies published in serious journals. Here it is on heat, UV and humidity: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200409/dont-count-on-warme....

Population study:
"...the spread ability of COVID-19 would not change with increasing temperature. Likewise, adjusting for temperature and humidity, the amount of UV sunlight also didn't affect transmission rates".

Lab study:
"...show a relationship between higher temperatures and humidity levels and reduced survival of the COVID-19 virus in the laboratory". Note: in laboratory.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we're talking about 2 separate things.

Transmission of the virus vs. shelf life of the virus.

You're skeptical of scientific 'laboratory' results and Bill Bryan, Under secretary for Science and Technology at DHS?

Webmd is certainly more reliable? ok, then.

BajaMama - 4-26-2020 at 08:23 AM

Speaking of more traffic - here in Nor Cal we noticed it last couple of days. We figure peeps heading out to enjoy the fabulous weather. Saw trucks loaded with camping gear. I hope they plan to do what ever they do in a way that keeps peeps safe.

There are still way too many variables to rationally discuss what we should do regarding this virus. But one thing is for sure: I have never seen so many differing opinions and conspiracy theories! We do know however, that this virus has been here longer than originally suspected. Who know what the implications could be, positive or negative? Only time will tell.

Bottom line of shelter at home health orders: To allow the medical professionals to treat those who are sick without overwhelming the system. To give people a chance to survive. NYC was horrid. CA closed up early and we have flattened the curve. We can only get to business as usual so long as we have ample medical care to care for the sick.

Pacifico - 4-26-2020 at 10:50 AM

I don't know if this is the wrong thread for this, but does anyone have any info on Baja reopening? I've heard you can still travel freely for most of Baja. Any recent info anyone?

BobbyC - 4-26-2020 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
I don't know if this is the wrong thread for this, but does anyone have any info on Baja reopening? I've heard you can still travel freely for most of Baja. Any recent info anyone?

Sorry amigo - I'll try and help us get back on track.

Based on what I am hearing and seeing, in spite of of some communities down here setting up roadblocks to prevent tourism access, it appears that they are allowing foreigners through if their travel itinerary is centered on "getting home". You likely will need to be able to communicate that objective.

I have heard some folks still getting through as tourists but I wouldn't make your travel plans around those reports as you could be in for a big disappointment.

Hope that helps. Bon voyage.

Pacifico - 4-27-2020 at 10:20 AM

Just saw this for BCS....

http://www.californiahoyusa.com/2020/04/36-hour-arrest-for-a...

Does anyone know if BCN has a similar restriction?

Alm - 4-27-2020 at 12:14 PM

A week ago Mexico had elevated the status of the pandemic to Phase 3. It means the number of new cases and deaths will increase most rapidly.

I vaguely recall they were considering to "begin" the re-opening of economy - not necessarily the borders - at the end of June if (IF) these measures work. They are projecting a peak of the virus in Mexico in mid-May. I guess until the end of May the situation won't be clear. It's too early to speculate on the re-opening date.

Bajazly - 4-27-2020 at 01:54 PM

This sounds kind of serious in BCS, nothing like this in SF.

gnukid - 4-29-2020 at 01:37 PM

We travel freely in BCS, to the store, to complete errands, essential workers continue, totally normal except you may say hi at a transit filter during a trip. Thieves wondering about with no purpose are discouraged and may be held temporarily though the changes don't seem to be an actual multa. Though rich gingos seem to misunderstand a lot and may find themselves easy picking for local corruption, for not wearing a mask, which is not actually a thing. You may not drive around drunk having a party, but that is normal too.

[Edited on 4-29-2020 by gnukid]

chippy - 4-29-2020 at 02:27 PM

I´m hoping this is accurate. We have no cases in our municipio as of today.

https://mexico.as.com/mexico/2020/04/29/tikitakas/1588170037...

Alm - 4-30-2020 at 10:05 AM

There is no such thing as cases "today". Cases today will become known in about 5-6 days (at least). Besides, their numbers are understated by several times, possibly 8 times according to the health ministry.

[Edited on 4-30-2020 by Alm]

chippy - 4-30-2020 at 11:08 AM

Whatever. How do you understate 0 cases:?: Maybe there are -8 cases:lol:. There are no cases reported anywhere in our municipio today,last week ,last month y todo el año. So if this holds we are looking good for May 17.

[Edited on 4-30-2020 by chippy]

bajaric - 4-30-2020 at 12:13 PM

I'm not in Baja, so can't speculate on when it might re open. I can understand how in some of the smaller towns outsiders might not be welcome for quite some time.

Here in the big city NOB, starting to wonder what will happen if this virus turns out to be like some of the other coronavirus that are a cause of the common cold; that is, a person does not get lifetime immunity after catching it once, there is no vaccine, and people have to learn to live with this nasty, highly contagious virus that keeps coming back year after year, like influenza. What politician wants to be the one to say, go ahead, go back to work, and then get blamed when someone dies? Its a no win situation. So everything stays closed, forever.

gnukid - 4-30-2020 at 12:20 PM

You can fall down the stairs while at home, so stairs should be restricted from access now. Or walk into the bathroom door at night. I know many people have accidentally opened the refrigerator door and hit their heads, so ...

mtgoat666 - 4-30-2020 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
You can fall down the stairs while at home, so stairs should be restricted from access now. Or walk into the bathroom door at night. I know many people have accidentally opened the refrigerator door and hit their heads, so ...

thankfully, clumsiness is not a contagious virus!

Alm - 4-30-2020 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
So if this holds we are looking good for May 17.

Looking good in ICU or in funeral home is important.

Alm - 4-30-2020 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  

Here in the big city NOB, starting to wonder what will happen if this virus turns out to be like some of the other coronavirus that are a cause of the common cold; that is, a person does not get lifetime immunity after catching it once, there is no vaccine, and people have to learn to live with this nasty, highly contagious virus that keeps coming back year after year, like influenza.

The immunity (after recovery) most assuredly will not be for life. They might not come up with any vaccine. Or a vaccine will be only a partial success like seasonal flu vaccines. Add an unknown number of people who will refuse to get vaccinated and you got the picture.

[Edited on 5-1-2020 by Alm]

chippy - 4-30-2020 at 04:43 PM

So if this holds we are looking good for May 17.

Looking good in ICU or in funeral home is important.

Wow:o. Paranoid much?

Lee - 4-30-2020 at 04:52 PM

Here in the big city NOB, starting to wonder what will happen if this virus turns out to be like some of the other coronavirus that are a cause of the common cold; that is, a person does not get lifetime immunity after catching it once, there is no vaccine, and people have to learn to live with this nasty, highly contagious virus that keeps coming back year after year, like influenza. What politician wants to be the one to say, go ahead, go back to work, and then get blamed when someone dies? Its a no win situation. So everything stays closed, forever.

I've read this in the past week. Don't recall where. I believe it is prob true.

Not the closed forever deal but mucho companies folding or morphing. Harry & David closing 38 stores, focus on e-commerce.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/harry-david-decides-its-stores-...

Pneumonia almost killed me couple years ago in Baja. Flu shots now every year for what it's worth.

Alm - 4-30-2020 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
... mucho companies folding or morphing. Harry & David closing 38 stores, focus on e-commerce.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/harry-david-decides-its-stores-...

Pneumonia almost killed me couple years ago in Baja. Flu shots now every year for what it's worth.

Good to know that some people are capable of clear thinking despite the political sh-t storm.

About pneumonia shots - there are two different kinds, people over 60 should get both.

JZ - 4-30-2020 at 06:24 PM

I'm not in Baja, so can't speculate on when it might re open. I can understand how in some of the smaller towns outsiders might not be welcome for quite some time.

Things are opening up like crazy. The University of Iowa just said they will start football practices in June.

If it kills some, it kills some. If you stay closed it will kill 100-500x more than Covid-19. You can't save granny who smoked for 30 years to kill a 40 father of 4.

Quarantine the sick, not the healthy.

[Edited on 5-1-2020 by JZ]

Alm - 4-30-2020 at 06:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

What a bright idea. How come nobody thought of this before?

Feathers - 4-30-2020 at 06:57 PM

What a bright idea. How come nobody thought of this before?

It's not 'bright'... it's COMMON SENSE.

surabi - 4-30-2020 at 07:00 PM

If it kills some, it kills some. If you stay closed it will kill 100-500x more than Covid-19. You can't save granny who smoked for 30 years to kill a 40 father of 4.

Spoken like a good little N-zi. Hitler was a big fan of eugenics.
There's no reason why staying home until the danger is past needs to kill anyone. Your govt, prefers to dole out funds to multi-billion dollar corporations rather than the 40 year old father of 4.

And FYI doctors in France are now researching why non-smokers had a significantly higher rate of COVID infection and death than non-smokers. They think that maybe nicotine has some virus-fighting properties.

ligui - 4-30-2020 at 08:13 PM

Maybe remove this Mexico re - open pages 1 thru 8 and start over.

You've kind of lost it here . :P you all

JZ - 5-1-2020 at 12:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Spoken like a good little N-zi. Hitler was a big fan of eugenics.
There's no reason why staying home until the danger is past needs to kill anyone. Your govt, prefers to dole out funds to multi-billion dollar corporations rather than the 40 year old father of 4.

And FYI doctors in France are now researching why non-smokers had a significantly higher rate of COVID infection and death than non-smokers. They think that maybe nicotine has some virus-fighting properties.

The virus isn't going away.

Every notch up of unemployment has a notch up of suicide. That will kill more than Covid.

You are being selfish just like ***** and *****. "I'm on a fixed govt. Income, stay home and don't impact my life."

In the end, none of you give 2 chits about the rest of the world.

[Edited on 5-3-2020 by BajaNomad]

gnukid - 5-1-2020 at 04:19 AM

MEXICO ORDERS LOCAL GOVERNMENTS TO STOP CORONAVIRUS ROADBLOCKS

We're seeing a turn of the tide, today, contact the delegation, share data, ask questions, ask them to provide data to justify their actions that restricts mobility and is apparently causing serious harm. https://www.vallartadaily.com/mexico-orders-local-government...

4x4abc - 5-1-2020 at 10:09 AM

here is what the Mexican government is thinking - it does not include a date for reopening , but it gives you an idea. I would guess, maybe July

prediction Mexico.jpg - 62kB

surabi - 5-1-2020 at 10:28 PM

You almost lost me at 'N-zi'... but WTH are you doing comparing non-smokers to non-smokers, eh? Crap... rhetorical question.. do not bother.

It was a typo. French doctors said that smokers had less severe symptoms than non-smokers, which would seem counter-intuitive. So they are researching why that would be.

surabi - 5-1-2020 at 10:36 PM

You are being selfish just like ***** and *****. "I'm on a fixed govt. Income, stay home and don't impact my life."

You sure like to make assumptions about people you don't know, solely based on the fact that they don't agree with you.

I'm not on a fixed govt. income. I work and my income has been affected by the isolation and lockdowns.

No one needs to commit suicide or die because they are out of work, if govts started financially helping people instead of giving bail-outs to multi-billion dollar companies.

JZ - 5-1-2020 at 10:44 PM

No one needs to commit suicide or die because they are out of work,

"No one needs to..."

How rich. Tell that to their families. "Your father didn't need to kill himself, son."

The virus is here and will be here for a long time. Ppl arguing for stay at home after the point of the medical professionals getting ready are nuts.

JZ - 5-2-2020 at 12:50 PM

Covid-19 shutdown will lead to 130M starvation deaths. But ***** and ***** want you to stay home and not impact their lives on the govt. teet.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/un-warns-coronavirus-fallout-wil...

Tioloco - 5-2-2020 at 01:57 PM

Any actual updates on topic?

BajaNomad - 5-2-2020 at 04:15 PM

Just saw this for BCS....

Does anyone know if BCN has a similar restriction?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/border-baja-califo...

BajaNomad - 5-2-2020 at 04:17 PM

Re-open is more border (and maybe business/economy) related IMHO.

If you're looking for road / highway restrictions, perhaps viewing what's posted in trip reports, road conditions and/or Q&A forums would prove beneficial in some way? Or posting a question there instead of here?

Just a thought.

BajaNomad - 5-2-2020 at 05:11 PM

Covid-19 shutdown will lead to ....

...uncertainty, for sure. Mexico or elsewhere.

Those who want to go back to work (generally, the service sector) face things not being as they were, and may never be again for years/decades to come (will there be a vaccine that works well?). When will customers/clients feel comfortable returning to public gathering locations again? Restaurants, bars, hotels, airplanes, sports venues, etc, etc, etc. If they don't return, there are a LOT of businesses that will be no more. I can't speak for how this will be in Mexico. Time will tell.

Service-sector businesses need to figure out creative ways add value in the face of unprecedented (for a generation) circumstances that continue to appear as though they aren't going away (completely) any time soon. Those unemployed (at least in the US) face putting pressure on their employers, and could make them fail in the short term when a further delay in re-opening would provide the runway to survive longer-term. Nobody knows the answers.

One loses their freedom of speech (US) if they yell "fire" in a crowded theater - because of the risks to the others around them beyond having to listen to their words. There may be some similar concerns on "rights" today for those that put others at a health risk in public, etc. Something to keep in consideration.

Please debate issues. Ad-hominem comments are inappropriate. Thx.

BajaNomad - 5-2-2020 at 05:18 PM

USA research and stats - info of use to other countries going up on the covid curve and facing economic decisions, etc:

https://news.wharton.upenn.edu/press-releases/2020/05/penn-w...

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf
https://www.bls.gov/bls/newsrels.htm#OEUS

BajaParrothead - 5-2-2020 at 05:23 PM

Lets hope that they can stay on track with the reduction in infections!

mtgoat666 - 5-2-2020 at 06:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  

i dunno bout dat...

i wont be getting on any airplane cattle car until there is a reliable treatment or vaccine for covid-19,... I suspect many, if not most, people feel the same way...

Paco Facullo - 5-2-2020 at 06:31 PM

I'm just-a-hopin' and -a-prayin' there's not a second wave ?

JZ - 5-2-2020 at 07:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

i dunno bout dat...

i wont be getting on any airplane cattle car until there is a reliable treatment or vaccine for covid-19,... I suspect many, if not most, people feel the same way...

I'd get on a plane right now. The air in the cabin is very safe. Much, much better than a bus or subway.

Plus they will spread ppl out. I've been thinking how I could go to Hawaii.

mtgoat666 - 5-2-2020 at 07:28 PM

i dunno bout dat...

I'd get on a plane right now. The air in the cabin is very safe. Much, much better than a bus or subway.

Plus they will spread ppl out.

The airlines will,spread people out right up until the point they sell the last available seat. Airlines would go out of biz leaving the middle seats empty.
Airline air is as safe as the people seated around you. The people around you are overweight and unhealthy. The average gringo.

Bajazly - 5-2-2020 at 07:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  

A fine and dandy idea but infections in Mexico are not going down and the US is at best starting leveling off.

BajaNomad - 5-2-2020 at 08:05 PM

btw... another concern - and I'm not expert enough to know how much of one it is for Mexico... is that the countries where vaccines are produced are likely to maintain only domestic distribution at first.

There have been interviews with pharma company reps this week in the business news, and they're indicating intentions to manufacture in multiple countries due to this reality.

I'm totally unaware of how this will impact Mexico, but is certainly something to consider in expectations going forward.

JZ - 5-2-2020 at 09:00 PM

The airlines will,spread people out right up until the point they sell the last available seat. Airlines would go out of biz leaving the middle seats empty.
Airline air is as safe as the people seated around you. The people around you are overweight and unhealthy. The average gringo.

At the beginning they will 100% for sure spread ppl out.

It's not a sustainable model. But it will be the norm for a while.

JZ - 5-2-2020 at 09:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

A fine and dandy idea but infections in Mexico are not going down and the US is at best starting leveling off.

Ppl are going to get it. And many ppl are going to die.

The entire goal was to let the medical teams to ramp up and get ready.

If we don't get back to business, being very cautious, as soon as possible than the indirect side effects of Covid will be 500x of those who die directly from it.

Paco Facullo - 5-2-2020 at 09:16 PM

If we don't get back to business, being very cautious, as soon as possible than the indirect side effects of Covid will be 500x of those who die directly from it.

And there is the crux of the matter,,,

Capitalism has gone amok, and humanity has to pay the price......

mtgoat666 - 5-2-2020 at 09:34 PM

Nobody really needs grand parents. flock ‘em, let ‘em die, so we can go back to work for the man. Is that your world view?

Bajazly - 5-2-2020 at 11:04 PM

Not really sure the medical teams, esp in Mexico, are all ramped up for an even bigger spike when things open up, people get complacent and chit hits the fan harder and faster.

BajaNomad - 5-3-2020 at 02:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
If they don't return, there are a LOT of businesses that will be no more.

-------------
While the Fed reacted quickly to underwrite liquidity in markets, such as putting a bid in the high yield ETF market, it will struggle to stop many medium and small businesses going bankrupt.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeosullivan/2020/05/01/market...
-------------

-------------
...optimism looks misplaced if you think the crisis has also created serious solvency problems. A $5tn central bank prop can keep credit flowing. But it cannot conjure up economic demand or turn bad loans into good credits. The risk stalking both markets and the Fed is that many companies are quietly becoming insolvent, as their debts overwhelm their collapsing revenues.

As Paul Singer, founder of activist fund manager Elliott Management, wrote to clients recently: “Despite the massive stimulus moves around the world and the unimaginably large new rounds of money printing, there is substantial uncertainty about the future viability of a large range of businesses.”

There are already ominous signs. Companies such as Hertz, JC Penney and Chesapeake are reportedly considering bankruptcy. Yet their problems are only the tip of an iceberg. Ruchir Sharma of Morgan Stanley calculated before Covid-19 hit that 16 per cent of US companies were so-called “zombies” that were barely able (or unable) to meet their debt service costs following a spree of risky corporate borrowing. Now their numbers are swelling, as companies quietly slide into insolvency.

https://www.ft.com/content/cc31fe38-8adb-11ea-9dcb-fe6871f41...
-------------

BajaNomad - 5-3-2020 at 02:40 AM

btw... another concern - and I'm not expert enough to know how much of one it is for Mexico... is that the countries where vaccines are produced are likely to maintain only domestic distribution at first.

There have been interviews with pharma company reps this week in the business news, and they're indicating intentions to manufacture in multiple countries due to this reality.

I'm totally unaware of how this will impact Mexico, but is certainly something to consider in expectations going forward.

-------------------
The first nation to develop a vaccine for Covid-19 could have an economic advantage as well as a tremendous public-health achievement. Doses will be limited initially as suppliers ramp up, and a country will focus on inoculating most of its own population first. Even with extraordinary international collaboration among multiple companies, it could be years before a vaccine is produced at a scale sufficient to help the entire world.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america-needs-to-win-the-corona...
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/12544824204407111...
-------------------

JZ - 5-3-2020 at 05:01 AM

US has said it's going balls to the wall on vaccine production once they identify possible good ones. Even before final results come in. Love this aggressiveness.

elgatoloco - 5-3-2020 at 08:13 AM

Re: aggressive - better late then never. I guess.

People are Going to GET IT ?

MrBillM - 5-3-2020 at 09:15 AM

Well, yeah, they are ................ IF one means continued COVID-19 infections.

IF, on the udder hand, one means that the great masses have learned a lesson and will act responsibly ................ "Yeah, Sure, You Betcha".

Aside from the myriad TV and other news coverage showing a general lack of responsible distancing behavior, my own campground experience over the past three days indicates common and expanding lack of responsibility with large groups congregating throughout the park and children totally unrestrained.

Given how early we are into the developing "relaxation" mode, one can only conclude that more BAD times may well be coming. IF there are successive waves, many are going under.

JZ - 5-3-2020 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Well, yeah, they are ................ IF one means continued COVID-19 infections.

IF, on the udder hand, one means that the great masses have learned a lesson and will act responsibly ................ "Yeah, Sure, You Betcha".

Aside from the myriad TV and other news coverage showing a general lack of responsible distancing behavior, my own campground experience over the past three days indicates common and expanding lack of responsibility with large groups congregating throughout the park and children totally unrestrained.

Given how early we are into the developing "relaxation" mode, one can only conclude that more BAD times may well be coming. IF there are successive waves, many are going under.

Good. We will get to herd immunity faster. Now is the time to take your vitamins, exercise, and lose a few LBs.

[Edited on 5-3-2020 by JZ]

motoged - 5-3-2020 at 09:44 AM

The entire goal was to let the medical teams to ramp up and get ready

Why do you keep repeating this? It is disinformation attempting to support your position that distancing is unnecessary. :?:

Taking Care

MrBillM - 5-3-2020 at 09:54 AM

Given my lifelong and increasing "contagion" paranoia, the CV-19 has merely enhanced my own precautions. In one respect, up at the campground, it has had something of a beneficial effect. The more restrictive rules (which are often being blatantly ignored) give added weight to my (sometimes frequent) reporting of rule violations.

The big downside is that the pool has been closed and will likely remain so. Calling the office, I had argued that, as in previous off-seasons, it should be open with the heater OFF and crowds would not be a problem. For the last three winter/spring periods, I've enjoyed the pool without another ever going in. That 65-68 degree water kept the herd away.

SO Yeah ................. eat, drink well. Get out and exercise while avoiding those herds. AND, of course, stay armed at ALL times (as I do) ready to handle any in the herd who stray too close and become a threat.

motoged - 5-3-2020 at 10:19 AM

Yep, just shoot 'em if stink-eye doesn't keep 'em away :lol:

Bajazly - 5-3-2020 at 11:46 AM

Predictive Monitoring of COVID-19.

To be taken with a shaker of salt but interesting to see how it may all work out against the predictions.

https://ddi.sutd.edu.sg

AKgringo - 5-3-2020 at 12:01 PM

To be taken with a shaker of salt but interesting to see how it may all work out against the predictions.

It is interesting that China is one of the countries not listed! :?:

chippy - 5-3-2020 at 12:02 PM

Very interesting. Thanks.

elgatoloco - 5-3-2020 at 12:32 PM

"Due to data limitations, not all countries are included in the analysis. It is strongly suggested to drop the earlier predictions for the countries no longer included due to the rapid changes in real-world scenarios. The list of countries reported will also vary daily depending on data."

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

It is interesting that China is one of the countries not listed! :?:

pauldavidmena - 5-3-2020 at 12:49 PM

Also interesting that Mexico's infection curve has not yet peaked. :(

Skipjack Joe - 5-3-2020 at 12:54 PM

-------------------
The first nation to develop a vaccine for Covid-19 could have an economic advantage as well as a tremendous public-health achievement. Doses will be limited initially as suppliers ramp up, and a country will focus on inoculating most of its own population first. Even with extraordinary international collaboration among multiple companies, it could be years before a vaccine is produced at a scale sufficient to help the entire world.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america-needs-to-win-the-corona...
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/12544824204407111...
-------------------

I don't particularly like the attitude this article is professing. It's almost like the race to the moon, a prestige thing. Most of the ones I'm seeing stress the global collaboration involved in getting the vaccine. "It's not a vaccine for a country or a region, but for the world". The Oxford vaccine seems to be ahead of the rest. It's in human trials now.

I'm also unconvinced that the first country to get vaccinated will have a leg up on the rest of the world. There are countries now reestablishing their economy, and without a vaccine. They're doing it by accurately monitoring all their citizens, knowing which can and which cannot.

There may not be a single vaccine which will be used. People could be vaccinated with better and better vaccines with time. At first, anything is better than nothing. It may not be 100% effective. So there could be many players in many countries in vaccine usage. The whole article sounds nationalistic, for a pandemic for gosh sakes.

Skipjack Joe - 5-3-2020 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

Neither has the US, and that's puzzling. NY has peaked but other states are making up for those numbers.

Skipjack Joe - 5-3-2020 at 03:22 PM

An opinion piece on CNN:

"What Asian nations know about squashing Covid-19"

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/02/opinions/us-can-learn-from-asia-sachs/index.html

Bajazly - 5-3-2020 at 04:10 PM

An opinion piece on CNN:

"What Asian nations know about squashing Covid-19"

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/02/opinions/us-can-learn-from-asia-sachs/index.html

The difference in countries with competent leadership who look after the people and one who shuns science, packs the government with unqualified cronies and demand absolute loyalty to Dear Leader despite facts otherwise.

Anybody else tired of winning yet?

apple - 5-3-2020 at 04:46 PM

So, what's the situation for crossing south these days? Are they preventing Americans from going down?

David K - 5-3-2020 at 06:03 PM

Posted yesterday on Facebook, from Puertecitos area:

Cowpatty
Yesterday at 10:53 AM ·

Baja is closed for tourism.
There is a government mandated stay at home order-- shelter in place from March 30 - May 30.

Only essential businesses like grocery stores and gas stations are allowed to be open.

If anyone needs to go out, a mask and self-distancing of 6 feet is required.

The town of San Felipe and its beaches, north and south of town are closed. Only residents, including foreigners holding a permanent residency card, are allowed to be in San Felipe.

Check points are randomly located to ensure this is enforced. This has nothing to do with political beliefs or anyone's opinion about the virus. We should not avoid the government orders. Please respect the Mexican government's laws. The communities are working together to help get through this. We all look forward to this being in the rear-view mirror, but for now, business is shut down! .

20 vehicles were turned around at the military checkpoint north of San Felipe yesterday.

[Edited on 5-4-2020 by David K]

surabi - 5-3-2020 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

Neither has the US, and that's puzzling. NY has peaked but other states are making up for those numbers.

Puzzling? Hardly. That's what happens when people ignore isolation directives, flock to the beaches, hold anti-lockdown rallies, insist on gathering at church, and think they're immune because they're washed in the blood of Jesus.

[Edited on 5-4-2020 by BajaNomad]

Lee - 5-4-2020 at 12:10 AM

. That's what happens when people ignore isolation directives, flock to the beaches, hold anti-lockdown rallies, insist on gathering at church, and think they're immune because they're washed in the blood of Jesus.

[Edited on 5-4-2020 by BajaNomad]

Preaching to the sheep here, no one else. Opinions expressed here are no different than opinions trickling down from the government. Smells like facism and that stinks.

paranewbi - 5-4-2020 at 07:11 AM

Cancun getting ready for June 1 opening

"Come 2 Cancún will offer two-for-one hotel stays. ... The Hotel Association of Cancún, Puerto Morelos and Isla Mujeres (AHCP), in anticipation of a reopening of tourism on June 1"

Get your flight deals now out of TJ!

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/cancun-hotels-p...

It's a Jungle up HERE

MrBillM - 5-4-2020 at 09:06 AM

The "relaxed" attitudes among the herding masses coupled with the "first Sunday of the month" made yesterday's essential trip to Walmart an adventure to be avoided again whenever possible.

The flood of customers was exacerbated by their being funneled (for staff convenience) through the only open entrance/exit and the congestion resulted in the usual pushing/shoving to be expected. Maintaining ANY distance was a challenge and resulted (for me) in one incident involving an old Crone trying to push past in the aisle. The checkout area was a mass of overfilled baskets with distancing nonexistent.

The one bright spot resulted from my vocal (and a bit aggressive) attempts to maintain distancing from those around me.

Likely concerned over the possibility of a deteriorating situation, one of the supervisory personnel patrolling the registers came up to me and said "step over there (one of the express lanes all closed) and I'll check you out".

Learned a lesson there. If you're thought to be a little bit crazy, it often works out.

I already knew that the idea people were going to act responsibly on their own was a joke that only a Moron would believe . Like any animal, control is achieved through threat.

Yesterday merely reaffirmed that.

[Edited on 5-4-2020 by MrBillM]

billklaser - 5-4-2020 at 12:13 PM

I live in Chula Vista. Been to our local Costco and Home Depot. I have not noticed any pushy behavior at all. Everything has been very orderly. My last trip to Costco had a line half way around the building to get in no incidents occurred in line. Everyone seems to see what is happening and is cooperating. Same at Home Depot.

David K - 5-4-2020 at 12:16 PM

Same here in North County... Costco and Home Depot... everyone calm and just dealing with this dose of socialism (long lines and no toilet paper, lol).

Skipjack Joe - 5-4-2020 at 12:19 PM

Chinese propaganda cartoon that rings true:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-01/china-state-media-propaganda-video-mock-us-coronavirus/12204836?fbclid=IwAR2OvRpy_KR9uWr7MlSZMwNFCCDPyfoFA8mxUc 0PvCRLc4-QA7N2cn2UvrE

Lee - 5-4-2020 at 12:32 PM

Last week, Dana Point Costco, 7am senior shopping for an hour, before normal opening at 9am. Got there at 6:45am, line was 2 blocks long, everyone in masks, except me. Entrance channeled everyone past the pallets of TP which everyone shopping cart got a case of.

I've never seen Costco so crowded. My mask was pulled down under my chin, a geezer says to me ''that mask isn't going to do you any good if you're not wearing it properly.''

chippy - 5-4-2020 at 12:39 PM

Last week, Dana Point Costco, 7am senior shopping for an hour, before normal opening at 9am. Got there at 6:45am, line was 2 blocks long, everyone in masks, except me. Entrance channeled everyone past the pallets of TP which everyone shopping cart got a case of.

I've never seen Costco so crowded. My mask was pulled down under my chin, a geezer says to me ''that mask isn't going to do you any good if you're not wearing it properly.''

Why would you have a mask and not wear it properly? Kinda retarded:lol:.

elgatoloco - 5-4-2020 at 12:47 PM

Sadly it does ring true.

Chinese propaganda cartoon that rings true:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-01/china-state-media-propaganda-video-mock-us-coronavirus/12204836?fbclid=IwAR2OvRpy_KR9uWr7MlSZMwNFCCDPyfoFA8mxUc 0PvCRLc4-QA7N2cn2UvrE

Crazy Scheisse Shopping

MrBillM - 5-4-2020 at 12:48 PM

With the demand for Ventilators assuaged, it appears that the time has come for the DC Jefe to invoke the Defense Production Act and set GM, Ford, etc. to producing TOILET PAPER since it appears that the demand will NEVER be satisfied otherwise.

W - T - F ?

TMW - 5-4-2020 at 01:17 PM

What are you trying to prove? That you can't get the virus. The geezer is right.

TMW - 5-4-2020 at 01:20 PM

We have toilet paper in the most of the grocery stores here now but they limit it to one package per customer.

Don Pisto - 5-4-2020 at 01:24 PM

plenty of toilet paper here in rosarito but not a can of beer to be found!

chippy - 5-4-2020 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
plenty of toilet paper here in rosarito but not a can of beer to be found!

Not baja but I will 411 on the PV costco manaña. :bounce:

Lee - 5-4-2020 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
What are you trying to prove? That you can't get the virus. The geezer is right.

Carry a mask for when it's required for entry somewhere (O'Reilly's in San Clemente). It was not a requirement at Costco at that time.

Don't care what people think about wearing masks. And I don't believe everything coming out of the media. Apparently, some here do.

Live your life and don't worry about me. I'm fine so far. I'll keep you posted.

surabi - 5-4-2020 at 02:01 PM

Not baja but I will 411 on the PV costco manaña. :bounce:

I was there a couple weeks ago. All very civilized- carts are sterilized, people are maintaining distance, staff and most customers wearing masks and distancing, no pushing or shoving.

surabi - 5-4-2020 at 02:05 PM

Carry a mask for when it's required for entry somewhere (O'Reilly's in San Clemente). It was not a requirement at Costco at that time.

Don't care what people think about wearing masks. And I don't believe everything coming out of the media. Apparently, some here do.

Nice that you're fine. It isn't all about you. The purpose of wearing a mask is to protect others from your exhaled breath, the particles of which can hang in the air for a few hours. It's called social responsibility, but obviously you have no concern for your fellow human beings, your "right" to do whatever you please being the deciding factor.

chippy - 5-4-2020 at 02:10 PM

Whats up with you? Falling in line with the puzzy grabbinn jack boot weirdos:lol:. R U packin when you go to cc? Hypocrite much?

Skipjack Joe - 5-4-2020 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

The one bright spot resulted from my vocal (and a bit aggressive) attempts to maintain distancing from those around me.

Have you tried this?

mail-6.jpeg - 64kB

Pages:  1  2    4  5