BajaNomad

Baja is closed, finding new trails in SoCal

JZ - 4-24-2020 at 09:40 PM

Took the dog for a hike today. We hiked up to the ridge on the right, just below the peak.

[Edited on 4-25-2020 by BajaNomad]

JZ - 4-24-2020 at 09:57 PM

[Edited on 4-25-2020 by BajaNomad]

BornFisher - 4-25-2020 at 08:13 AM

It`s tick season now. If you feel a little something crawling on you, chances are it`s a tick. I`ve found two in the last few weeks after walking my dog.

AguaDulce - 4-25-2020 at 09:14 AM

I walked my dog in a field the other day in Malibu hills and pulled off 11 ticks.

Ticked

MrBillM - 4-25-2020 at 09:25 AM

Back in the '90s, we would find numerous ticks on the 3-4 dogs, but haven't seen any for many years now until last week. Although we've used a 30-day treatment on our dogs (now one remaining Chihuahua) for years, we did find one. Perhaps, picked up in Poppet Flats on the last trip. It was a reminder to be more vigilant.

Marc - 4-30-2020 at 07:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Back in the '90s, we would find numerous ticks on the 3-4 dogs, but haven't seen any for many years now until last week. Although we've used a 30-day treatment on our dogs (now one remaining Chihuahua) for years, we did find one. Perhaps, picked up in Poppet Flats on the last trip. It was a reminder to be more vigilant.

Favorite pastime as a kid in Contra Costa County was popping the blood out of tics. Hated the little nasties.

JZ - 4-30-2020 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  

Favorite pastime as a kid in Contra Costa County was popping the blood out of tics. Hated the little nasties.

We burned them.

For sure NOT in SoCal or Baja ... but interesting

wessongroup - 4-30-2020 at 11:42 AM

Some kinda trail riding ... think it is tea they are packing .. not too heavy .. but

no masks at this time :biggrin::biggrin:

AKgringo - 4-30-2020 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

We burned them.

I still do! Whenever I pull one off my dog, it goes straight into the wood stove to be immediately incinerated, or wallow in the ashes until the next fire is lit.

Just this morning I noticed that the one my dog had last night has produced a welt with a bright red ring the size of a quarter! That is what ticks carrying Lyme disease do to humans, but this is the first time I have seen it on a dog.

BajaParrothead - 4-30-2020 at 08:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

We burned them.

I still do! Whenever I pull one off my dog, it goes straight into the wood stove to be immediately incinerated, or wallow in the ashes until the next fire is lit.

Just this morning I noticed that the one my dog had last night has produced a welt with a bright red ring the size of a quarter! That is what ticks carrying Lyme disease do to humans, but this is the first time I have seen it on a dog.

They were always a favorite snack for the chickens. The fatter and bluer, the better!