BajaNomad

Baja's Sky Highway: 9,000 ft. in 100 kms.

David K - 4-30-2020 at 08:15 AM

The elevation sign, well weathered... 9,280 ft. Above Sea Level (A.S.L.)
Here is my photo I took of it in 1978:

Mexico's largest telescope is inside, 83" (2.12 meter).

Baja's tallest mountain, El Picacho del Diablo, 10,154'

thebajarunner - 4-30-2020 at 08:49 AM

Very nice David
Been there many times
Summer time those roaring thunderclouds every afternoon at 4
Tons of downed trees, for monumental campfires
And, of course, winter and early spring, lots of snow.
My poor 2 wheel drive F150 only made it to the gate twice in recent years, the snow seems to really start to accumulate right at the entry.

David K - 4-30-2020 at 09:13 AM

Thank you, Dick!

I have enjoyed the drive up a few times... the first in 1972... Then, 1978, 1984, 2000, and 2017.

In 2000, the final climb from the gate to the end (2.5 kms.) was paved. In 2005, we went to Mike's via the observatory road, and the paving of the road was about half way up.

After my 2017 trip (photos from that above), I wrote a Baja Bound article, and it included a road log with the elevation gains: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/san_pedr...

Vince - 4-30-2020 at 04:13 PM

Thanks for the very nice photos, David. I should go back there, it has been too long. First time in '54, then '57, then I climbed Picacho from the desert side. All three times were with Bud Bernard. Of course, those trips were before paved roads and the observatory. We went to Meling Ranch for a stay in about '90, started up that long grade to the forest but had car trouble and turned around.

BigBearRider - 5-1-2020 at 06:35 AM

I drive up a few years ago with my brother. There was so much snow that they closed the park. I told the rangers that I have snow chains and 4x4, to no avail. Saw six condors that day.

David K - 5-1-2020 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Vince  
Thanks for the very nice photos, David. I should go back there, it has been too long. First time in '54, then '57, then I climbed Picacho from the desert side. All three times were with Bud Bernard. Of course, those trips were before paved roads and the observatory. We went to Meling Ranch for a stay in about '90, started up that long grade to the forest but had car trouble and turned around.

Have you considered writing a book? The great stories you could share!

white whale - 5-2-2020 at 12:26 PM

Another gold star thread - telescope ? did not know. Bonus is the Divide bike route crosses just near the Meling Ranch ---- more great history too.

Two wheel - heaven and hell . Ascent and Decent - some of the grades must double digit . Curious about the snow potential. What is highest probability months for this? Are we talking consistent year to year to get some and at what elevation?

What a view this must be on a clear night.

David K - 5-2-2020 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  
Another gold star thread - telescope ? did not know. Bonus is the Divide bike route crosses just near the Meling Ranch ---- more great history too.

Two wheel - heaven and hell . Ascent and Decent - some of the grades must double digit . Curious about the snow potential. What is highest probability months for this? Are we talking consistent year to year to get some and at what elevation?

What a view this must be on a clear night.

The San Pedro Mártir site was chosen back in the late 1960s because it rates as one of the world's top location for atmospheric clarity. The first, smaller telescopes were installed as soon as they built the road, operating in 1970.

You would enjoy my article which includes Meling Ranch history: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/san_pedr...

All my Baja Travel Adventure articles: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/

[Edited on 5-2-2020 by David K]

white whale - 5-3-2020 at 10:57 AM

I was really curious what I'd find .. snow wise...... sweet maria ! Looks pretty powdery too.
Mother Nature was angry that day.
Snow board call could have gone out to the San diegans. What KM marker would this shot be from?

From this guys blog - November 2019

https://bajadock.wordpress.com/tag/san-pedro-martir-closure-...

banjo pic.jpg - 139kB

David K - 5-3-2020 at 11:31 AM

That is the ranger station, La Corona, Km.83.5. See my article, posted just above your reply. Lot's of snow at 8,000 feet!

Hello NBC ?

white whale - 5-3-2020 at 02:34 PM

So a 1000' drop to here and another 2000'?? if this much snow to pavement down below ??... This has .... "Welcome to NBC Sports presents the Red Bull (or Modelo ) Mexico snowboard challenge ".. written all over it. Social distance no problem, no spectators no problem, sell beer and energy drinks ads ? no problem. Imagine the teaser promo....
watch as the worlds most daring snowboarders scream down 20 km of Mexican snow towards the pacific ocean, one slip and they go careening off a 9000' mountain to certain death..... coming this August.

This idea copyrighted 05/2020 White Whale.

Two wheel detour on the map for me .. note to self bring extra brake pads.

banjo pic.jpg - 108kB

David K - 5-3-2020 at 03:03 PM

Nice side by side! Looks like my photo and the winter one were from almost the exact same spot!

Don Pisto - 5-3-2020 at 03:08 PM

home to the worlds longest hillclimb, San Pedro Martir Hillclimb....BRAAAP

David K - 10-17-2020 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Vince  

Vince, I have a Bud Bernhard question for you... u2u or email, please.

bajatrailrider - 10-17-2020 at 02:37 PM

very nice pictures David thank you . it is one of my favorite places. We would ride off road bikes from Mike's on little known route. All the way up top that was back when no paved roads. Of course now no off road allowed in park. There are amazing views also just below park. You need rugged 4x4 or moto to see them. I still go there every few months.

mtgoat666 - 10-17-2020 at 02:49 PM

The park opened last week. Was closed for covid. I think campground reservations are required. Info on the park’s fb page

bajatrailrider - 10-17-2020 at 02:55 PM

sorry mis info the park has been open. As norm they left a closed sign. At Hwy 1 entrance it has been open for over two months.

David K - 10-17-2020 at 03:04 PM

Thanks!
This was originally posted last April. It was the last time 'Vince' posted on Nomad, and I wanted to contact him... how it got bumped up.
I agree, a great place that is not the typical "Baja" we know and love!

Bajaboy - 10-17-2020 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
sorry mis info the park has been open. As norm they left a closed sign. At Hwy 1 entrance it has been open for over two months.

Thanks for the update. Saw the sign a few weeks ago.

Asphalt/Gravel on the ride up?

Ron_Perry - 10-17-2020 at 08:24 PM

Has anyone been to the top recently? I have wanted to ride my road bike to the top for many years....retired now so, now or never! Just wanted to get an idea of the road conditions for a try maybe next May. Any asphalt/gravel sections?
Any info would be cool. Thank you, Ron

David K - 10-17-2020 at 08:35 PM

It is paved to the very end.

bajatrailrider - 10-17-2020 at 10:21 PM

all good slow and easy around turns . One problem they don't let any motorcycles past park gate. Depending who is there a small donation may get you past gate. Beside entry fee.