BajaNomad

Extra room for guests

leo_jb - 4-30-2020 at 04:58 PM

After 30+ years traveling to Baja, my wife and I finally built ourselves a little casita in El Sargento, just south of La Paz. The casita is basically a large studio and is perfect for the two of us. The problem is we didn't anticipate how many people wanted to come visit, and we have no room to put them up. We could add on, but I don't want to pay the money to do that for two or three weeks a year. I'd prefer having something I could put up and use only when needed, like a yurt or large tent. I think I've ruled out a yurt because they are pretty tough to put up and require a lot of guy lines, which is tough in the sand. I'm leaning towards a large, well made tent like the Kodiak Flex-Bow 10x14. Anyone had any experience with these tents in Baja? Or other suggestions?

Thanks!

Kodiak.jpg - 46kB

David K - 4-30-2020 at 05:05 PM

The Instant Tents from Coleman are great... Easy up and easy down! Costco has the large ones.

John Harper - 4-30-2020 at 05:09 PM

Are you putting it under a canopy or carport? Out in the sun, that thing can be unbearable if your guests want to get away to read or nap. Especially if all you have is a studio house.

I know from camping, nothing worse than coming back from a long hike and your tent is now in the sun. All you want to do is lay down for a bit and it's too damn hot inside the tent. I don't know if siestas are popular in La Paz, but they are most everywhere else.

That's why I just use a cot whenever possible and no tent. I just pick up the cot and move it under a tree or to a shady spot so taking a nap or reading is easy and comfortable.

Just a thought.

John

leo_jb - 4-30-2020 at 05:15 PM

Siestas are popular, and there are places to nap and hang out during the day. I just need a comfortable place for guests to spend the night.

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Are you putting it under a canopy or carport? Out in the sun, that thing can be unbearable if your guests want to get away to read or nap. Especially if all you have is a studio house.

I know from camping, nothing worse than coming back from a long hike and your tent is now in the sun. All you want to do is lay down for a bit and it's too damn hot inside the tent. I don't know if siestas are popular in La Paz, but they are most everywhere else.

That's why I just use a cot whenever possible and no tent. I just pick up the cot and move it under a tree or to a shady spot so taking a nap or reading is easy and comfortable.

Just a thought.

John

leo_jb - 4-30-2020 at 05:18 PM

Not a fan of big, square nylon tents in our location. It really blows in the afternoons and evenings and nylon tents tend to flap around like crazy.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The Instant Tents from Coleman are great... Easy up and easy down! Costco has the large ones.

mtgoat666 - 4-30-2020 at 05:18 PM

the kodiak flex bow tents are good, the fabric is pretty tough so pretty good for long term use. they will require lines when windy, but easy to attach at the two 90-degree pole peaks. you can skip the lines if not windy (then scramble when wind comes up at nite)
get 18 inch rebar stakes.
the stakes that come with tent are too short for sand (wont hold in wind), not strong enough for pounding into hard ground.

mtgoat666 - 4-30-2020 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by leo_jb  
Not a fan of big, square nylon tents in our location. It really blows in the afternoons and evenings and nylon tents tend to flap around like crazy.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

kodiaks are not nylon, made of canvas. they are taught enough that they dont flap much in wind. awning of course comes down in wind.

leo_jb - 4-30-2020 at 05:21 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming. And yeah, long rebar stakes or buried rocks are the only ways to go.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
the kodiak flex bow tents are good, the fabric is pretty tough so pretty good for long term use. they will require lines when windy, but easy to attach at the two 90-degree pole peaks. you can skip the lines if not windy (then scramble when wind comes up at nite)
get 18 inch rebar stakes.
the stakes that come with tent are too short for sand (wont hold in wind), not strong enough for pounding into hard ground.

elgatoloco - 4-30-2020 at 05:33 PM

If the mattress is uncomfortable everything else is moot. :saint:

A small fan for those no breeze nights wouldn't hurt either. :dudette:

Amen

Feathers - 4-30-2020 at 06:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
If the mattress is uncomfortable everything else is moot. :saint:

Spent my birthday at that gorgeous hotel in Catavina, a few years back. Sleeping on a particle board mattress sucked. Never again.

shari - 5-1-2020 at 11:09 AM

Springbar tents are the perfect option for guest accommodation!We have them here at our Inn an we use them at our whale camp so I know why they are perfect. They dont flap in strong winds...we had 30 knots and they were fine also torrential rains didnt affect them at all if the porch flap is down.

They have tons of room for 2-3 cots..ours have a queen bed and a cot or two if needs be. There is no pole in the middle and have ample standing room.

Mine have windows on all sides & doors back and front so let any breeze in and the zippers are very heavy duty to last.

They are the bomb and take only 10 minutes top to put up!!
Highly recommend them! They last a long time if properly stored so worth the money.

David K - 5-1-2020 at 11:23 AM

That's GREAT to hear, Shari! Thanks for sharing the photos, too... very impressive!

elskel - 5-1-2020 at 11:50 AM

Tent Trailer - pop up. You are up off the ground, hard roof, much ventilation,
lights, extension cord powers the unit. Set up about 10 minutes. Bed / Table inside. I have a large one 24' when extended, use as a spare room. They make much smaller ones, they are cheap, to buy used. I have have seen them for sale down here, Southern Baja. I would put a wanted ad on the Baja Pony Express, if you could find one down here, much easier, no tow down the peninsula. Cheap in the States. I actually poured a concrete slab, which it sits on. It sits behind my house and gets only the morning sun, which keeps it cooler, I cover with a heavy plastic tarp when not in use. I get a couple of years out of the tarp.
bk

pacificobob - 5-1-2020 at 12:13 PM

When camping on soft sand and high wind i tie down the tent and malla sombra with deadmen made from 1 sq foot pieces of 1/2 plywood drilled with 2 holes burried about a foot or more deep. This also works for tieing down aircraft.

advrider - 5-1-2020 at 01:41 PM

What elskel said, a tent trailer or even a small trailer, you could even build a car port or cover for it? Might be a nice place for you or the wife to be able to slip away for your own quit place?

David K - 5-1-2020 at 02:32 PM

Interesting how this turned to tent trailers...

That was what my dad thought would be perfect to pull behind our Jeep Wagoneer, on our first trips to Gonzaga Bay... 1965!
They sure were... at least from what I remember!

At Puertecitos, the gringos with beer in their hands said "no way" and the road ends here!
A few hours later, we were set up on the most beautiful white sand beach... Viva Gonzaga... Viva Jeep... Viva Tent Trailers!

elskel - 5-1-2020 at 03:46 PM

Tent trailer behind house.

leo_jb - 5-1-2020 at 05:06 PM

Thanks for the great photos! Is there a reason you picked the Springbar over the Kodiak? Near as I can tell they are very similar. Also, how are you staking them down?

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

Springbar tents are the perfect option for guest accommodation!We have them here at our Inn an we use them at our whale camp so I know why they are perfect. They dont flap in strong winds...we had 30 knots and they were fine also torrential rains didnt affect them at all if the porch flap is down.

They have tons of room for 2-3 cots..ours have a queen bed and a cot or two if needs be. There is no pole in the middle and have ample standing room.

Mine have windows on all sides & doors back and front so let any breeze in and the zippers are very heavy duty to last.

They are the bomb and take only 10 minutes top to put up!!
Highly recommend them! They last a long time if properly stored so worth the money.

leo_jb - 5-1-2020 at 05:11 PM

Not a bad idea. I was also thinking of buying a regular travel trailer and setting it up, since I have a site with RV hookups. Problem is the offseason - scorching sun and possible hurricanes (direct hit last year). Throwing a tent in the casita at the end of the season is pretty (though not totally) foolproof.

is pretty
Quote: Originally posted by elskel  
Tent Trailer - pop up. You are up off the ground, hard roof, much ventilation,
lights, extension cord powers the unit. Set up about 10 minutes. Bed / Table inside. I have a large one 24' when extended, use as a spare room. They make much smaller ones, they are cheap, to buy used. I have have seen them for sale down here, Southern Baja. I would put a wanted ad on the Baja Pony Express, if you could find one down here, much easier, no tow down the peninsula. Cheap in the States. I actually poured a concrete slab, which it sits on. It sits behind my house and gets only the morning sun, which keeps it cooler, I cover with a heavy plastic tarp when not in use. I get a couple of years out of the tarp.
bk

leo_jb - 5-1-2020 at 05:33 PM

Great suggestion. Similar to one they give on the Kodiak website.

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
When camping on soft sand and high wind i tie down the tent and malla sombra with deadmen made from 1 sq foot pieces of 1/2 plywood drilled with 2 holes burried about a foot or more deep. This also works for tieing down aircraft.

shari - 5-2-2020 at 01:05 PM

Kodiaks are springbar tents...there are a few companies making this type of tent...I think Springbar came up with the original typs of these tension bar tents & now Kodiak and others makes them.

The best price I got on Kodiaks was from Family Tent Camping and also I bought the nice terra-cotta colour ones from White Duck Outdoors.Get the ones with the side windows!

[Edited on 5-2-2020 by shari]

dtbushpilot - 5-2-2020 at 01:25 PM

No better way to say "we don't want company" to your guests than to put them up in a tent..:bounce:

Paco Facullo - 5-2-2020 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
No better way to say "we don't want company" to your guests than to put them up in a tent..:bounce:

HaHa, Yep,,,,,

Or better yet, don't answer the door or your phone................

pacificobob - 5-3-2020 at 05:57 AM

In case you don't have a tent, an inflatable mattress will convey the same message.

advrider - 5-3-2020 at 07:02 AM

I've stayed in some canvas outfitters tents in the past that were pretty nice, one of those on a wooden platform would be a nice set up. When I think of a tent I think of having to crawl in and out of the door but I think what you are looking at are a much nicer option. My guess is others are thinking backpacking tent not a large, canvas "hotel".

elgatoloco - 5-3-2020 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

In case you don't have a tent, an inflatable mattress will convey the same message.

One with a slow leak..............:lol:

surfhat - 5-3-2020 at 08:52 AM

Shari, thanks for the memories. Those whale camp tents held up so well in the thunderous and howling rain my friends and I went through.

We are all hanging in there and wish the same to you.

I hope you and yours are staying safe and healthy while we all go through this new world paradigm.

AKgringo - 5-3-2020 at 08:55 AM

leo_jb….How very thoughtful to be concerned with providing comfort for me and my large dog. Don't worry about it too much, we would even be willing to sleep in my Trooper as long as we have full access to your kitchen, bathroom, and a strong WIFI signal!

You failed to post the address...probably just an oversight?

CasaMaximus - 9-20-2020 at 06:13 PM

I had an A.B. and C. plan in my quest for our home (my dream) in Baja, each was scalable. The first was a one bedroom cave on the first floor on then tourist corridor in Cabo. We arrived the first week in June in 2018 ahead of a hurricane that turned inland but what followed was 3 days of cave dwelling downpour. It leaked the circuits kept shorting out and it wasn't a good fit.

The second place was a 3 bedroom condo in Cerritos. The condo was too big and it had a hefty HOA fee along with the taxes and upkeep. I knew if we bought it it would be full of freeloading relatives. No thanks.

The third place was a "little" 2 bedroom place on the Oasis across the Huerta from The Hotel California. Little is relative at 2500 SF but it lets me deflect big crowds to the local hotels.

Fortunately we are near Hotel California and Hotelito.