BajaNomad

Gaia Baja maps

pacsur - 5-6-2020 at 12:12 PM

I just received an email promo saying Gaia now has Baja and Baja Sur maps available for download included with premium service, has anybody seen them yet?

New to me at least-

https://blog.gaiagps.com/new-baja-california-maps-from-natio...

[Edited on 5-6-2020 by pacsur]

JZ - 5-6-2020 at 12:18 PM

Can you post the text of the email? Or a link?

Gaia has always had satellite and topo for Baja.

StuckSucks - 5-6-2020 at 12:35 PM

Looks interesting, I'll have to give it a go. Satellite images are the most helpful in my world -- in the past I have downloaded sat images of the areas I was going to be in. But the NatGeo Baja topo maps may have value too.

white whale - 5-6-2020 at 01:23 PM

what an awesome site ! thank you for posting - did not know at all about Gaia GPS. Gotta figure out the pronunciation.

First time I've seen USGS Topo layer tool . Slick!

Guy yah

[Edited on 5-6-2020 by white whale]

David K - 5-6-2020 at 01:26 PM

Don't forget geoffff's wonderful site with topo and satellite maps and combos that you can switch back and forth onto: https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=27.60902,-112.90375&z=11...

(This is linked on my website, along with other zoom-able maps)

GAIA

John M - 5-6-2020 at 01:45 PM

I believe Paul W has mentioned GAIA.

We used it in the East Mojave on a remote trip with success. We had the "free" version but the premium allows you to load tracks ahead of time from what I understand.

Nice features, no internet required when you are using it.

Wish I had a tablet, the borrowed one that I used is now back to its owner.

John M

white whale - 5-6-2020 at 01:52 PM

Cal Topo - wow x 2. They get fresher images. Local running track / sport field here just got a refurb to fake grass and a blue track - and there it is! ........ and no one can use it .

Nice add David !

----------------------------------------------

geoffff - 5-6-2020 at 11:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Don't forget geoffff's wonderful site with topo and satellite maps and combos that you can switch back and forth onto: https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=27.60902,-112.90375&z=11...

(This is linked on my website, along with other zoom-able maps)

Well let's not call it "my" site :) I contributed the INEGI Mexico topo maps - but that's just one feature on a very extensive website.

Gaia GPS will also show these INEGI Mexican topo maps if you select "USGS Topo ©CalTopo" in the Layers menu. These maps will have a lot more detail than the National Geographic layer pacsur mentioned.

BackCountry Navigator is another popular GPS/map app, but for some reason they still use an old copy of the CalTopo maps (before Mexico and Canada were added). So, stick to Gaia GPS.

-- Geoff

David K - 5-7-2020 at 07:22 AM

I meant that it was you who shared that site with us and I appreciate that you did!

PaulW - 5-7-2020 at 08:50 AM

The real question is the topo feature more important than detailed roads. Especially in the backcountry.
Of course I use both, but when heading out in the back country the roads are my choice. Both are nice, but not a necessity.
Of course if one chooses topo and the result is INEGI then what you get is pretty images, but no roads (or selected roads from the 1960s). The result is hopeless when trying to drive cross country. That application is only good for the hiker or studies at home on the PC.
So who is going to do a shootout comparison between Gaia backcountry roads in Baja compared to other formats?

geoffff - 5-7-2020 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
The real question is the topo feature more important than detailed roads. Especially in the backcountry.
Of course I use both, but when heading out in the back country the roads are my choice. Both are nice, but not a necessity.
Of course if one chooses topo and the result is INEGI then what you get is pretty images, but no roads (or selected roads from the 1960s). The result is hopeless when trying to drive cross country. That application is only good for the hiker or studies at home on the PC.
So who is going to do a shootout comparison between Gaia backcountry roads in Baja compared to other formats?

I travel with three sets of maps loaded onto a giant 400 GB memory card: OpenStreetMap, INEGI 50k, and Bing Satellite. I have found that I tend to use OpenStreetMap when on the highway, and switch to satellite imagery when on the trail. In practice, I don't end up using INEGI topos all that much. The satellite imagery shows all the little unmapped tracks I'm interested in, but takes up a huge amount of storage space. For me, it's worth it.

-- Geoff

geoffff - 5-7-2020 at 10:55 AM

OK, here are some screenshots of the area just north of San Felipe. Click on them to see full size. OpenStreetMap, INEGI 50k, Bing satellite:

geoffff - 5-7-2020 at 10:58 AM

if one chooses topo and the result is INEGI then what you get is pretty images, but no roads (or selected roads from the 1960s).

The INEGI maps on CalTopo have mostly been updated since the 1960s! Here is a comparison between the latest INEGI maps and some older ones. Click to expand:

geoffff - 5-7-2020 at 11:13 AM

Here's another example, Laguna Hanson.

OpenStreetMap, Bing satellite.
old INEGI topo, current INEGI topo.

geoffff - 5-7-2020 at 11:49 AM

Of course, this is not Gaia GPS. Here is the above new National Geographic coverage of Picacho Del Diablo as shown in the Gaia GPS blog above compared to the level of detail in the CalTopo INEGI maps (on my phone) of the same area:

My copy of Gaia GPS doesn't yet show this new Baja update for their National Geographic maps layer, but it does have National Geographic maps in the USA. Note that the Nat Geo map coverage seems to be limited to certain popular areas (probably not all of Baja California). See this screenshot from my phone of southwest USA zoomed-out showing the Nat Geo coverage areas:

-- Geoff

white whale - 5-7-2020 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
OK, here are some screenshots of the area just north of San Felipe. Click on them to see full size. OpenStreetMap, INEGI 50k, Bing satellite:

That is a sweet combo. First thing I noticed - from the sat image shot - was the baseball park manager
must have a solid irrigation pipe out to the field. that is a some green in a sea of brown!

So for the pretend map readers , the mountain ridge shows 150 , would not guess feet or meters to my eye , this would be an approximation the satellite software determines, real peak numbers must be human verified from the ground or reading on the peak itself?

I think a mapping tab might a good addition to the board. Every time I think about the great technology now, how great were the map makers from 2 - 3 - 4 hundred and more years ago ? And to print them too.

------------------

mtgoat666 - 5-7-2020 at 01:39 PM

Of course, this is not Gaia GPS. Here is the above new National Geographic coverage of Picacho Del Diablo as shown in the Gaia GPS blog above compared to the level of detail in the CalTopo INEGI maps (on my phone) of the same area:

-- Geoff

all of the topo maps for SPM and the peaks are fairly unreliable, the topography is pretty rugged, and important details were not captured by aerial topo mapping methods and the scale used.
for SPM and the peaks, the written descriptions and road/trail line work on Jerry Schaad's paper map are still best available source for navigating the SPM and the peaks.
Jerry mapped all of the old trails and roads, and if you supplement Jerry's map with a GE print-out, you will have all you need to navigate the SPM.
Most of the old roads on Jerry's map, while overgrown, can still be followed if hiking or mtn biking.

JZ - 5-7-2020 at 01:41 PM

Satellite imagery is way better than topo's. I have all of Baja loaded on two phones and a tablet for off-line use. 100G of data per device. Use Back Country Navigator. I like it a little better than Gaia.

Seeing yourself on a bike flying down a dirt trail in a zoomed in satellite view is incredible.

Very rarely use topos.

For roads in Baja I use Google Maps. Download Baja for offline use when you don't have cell coverage. Works great. Voice activated and turn by turn directions.

[Edited on 5-7-2020 by JZ]

geoffff - 5-7-2020 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

all of the topo maps for SPM and the peaks are fairly unreliable, the topography is pretty rugged, and important details were not captured by aerial topo mapping methods and the scale used.
for SPM and the peaks, the written descriptions and road/trail line work on Jerry Schaad's paper map are still best available source for navigating the SPM and the peaks.
Jerry mapped all of the old trails and roads, and if you supplement Jerry's map with a GE print-out, you will have all you need to navigate the SPM.
Most of the old roads on Jerry's map, while overgrown, can still be followed if hiking or mtn biking.

Thanks, Goat! I didn't know about Jerry's maps. They look great! Google turned up this for me: http://dankat.com/swhikes/maps/devil.htm I do see missing topographic detail northeast of the peak in the older INEGI map, but the newer INEGI map seems to have filled in the elevation details.

Jerry Schaud map

Old INEGI 50k topo

New INEGI 50k topo

JZ - 5-7-2020 at 02:12 PM

Satellite imagery is also great for boating. Here is Isla Coronado in BCN on the phone.

When you are driving you see the boat moving on the image.

geoffff - 5-7-2020 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Satellite imagery is way better than topo's. [...] Seeing yourself on a bike flying down a dirt trail in a zoomed in satellite view is incredible. Very rarely use topos.

Yes, same here! I only use the topos when planning an off-trail hiking route.
-- Geoff

[Edited on 5-7-2020 by geoffff]

PaulW - 5-7-2020 at 02:14 PM

The Jerry Schaud map is dead on and works great for the hile up to teh summit

geoffff - 5-7-2020 at 02:20 PM

Satellite imagery is also great for boating. Here is Isla Coronado in BCN on the phone. When you are driving you see the boat moving on the image.

Sometimes I "drive by instrument" when trying to follow a faint trail that weaves through bushes I can't see over. Feels like I'm piloting a boat. Here's what I saw on my screen when I was trying to drive out to Cantu Palms from the Laguna Salada road.

-- Geoff

mtgoat666 - 5-7-2020 at 02:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Thanks, Goat! I didn't know about Jerry's maps. They look great! Google turned up this for me: http://dankat.com/swhikes/maps/devil.htm I do see missing topographic detail northeast of the peak in the older INEGI map, but the newer INEGI map seems to have filled in the elevation details.

Jerry Schaud map

Old INEGI 50k topo

New INEGI 50k topo

Jerry’s map covers entire park. It’s really the only map aid worth using when exploring the park. He showed trails and roads, and provided written route/trail descriptions. Buy it if you can find it. Not sure if it is still in print

JZ - 5-7-2020 at 02:38 PM

Sometimes I "drive by instrument" when trying to follow a faint trail that weaves through bushes I can't see over. Feels like I'm piloting a boat. Here's what I saw on my screen when I was trying to drive out to Cantu Palms from the Laguna Salada road.

-- Geoff

We have a lot in common tech wise. I'm huge into drones as well. Wish I had your mechanical skills.

geoffff - 5-7-2020 at 02:49 PM

We have a lot in common tech wise. I'm huge into drones as well. Wish I had you mechanical skills.

Hah! Yes, sounds like it. And thanks ... but I'm not sure just how "skilled" I am mechanically, really. I'm just a computer geek who likes to get into (and out of) mechanical trouble.

-- Geoff

StuckSucks - 5-7-2020 at 06:29 PM

The satellite imagery shows all the little unmapped tracks I'm interested in, but takes up a huge amount of storage space. For me, it's worth it.

-- Geoff

EXACTLY my thoughts. In the outback, sat view is best for seeing the subtlety of the earth.

white whale - 5-7-2020 at 07:29 PM

Satellite imagery is way better than topo's. I have all of Baja loaded on two phones and a tablet for off-line use. 100G of data per device. Use Back Country Navigator. I like it a little better than Gaia.

Seeing yourself on a bike flying down a dirt trail in a zoomed in satellite view is incredible.

Very rarely use topos.

For roads in Baja I use Google Maps. Download Baja for offline use when you don't have cell coverage. Works great. Voice activated and turn by turn directions.

I'm stumped, so you can take a static SAT image area, then overlay a clear GPS map so the pings can draw a line or you just have a single moving cursor point? And you must be able to record this then to view like you say.

That does sound slick.

JZ - 5-7-2020 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  

I'm stumped, so you can take a static SAT image area, then overlay a clear GPS map so the pings can draw a line or you just have a single moving cursor point? And you must be able to record this then to view like you say.

That does sound slick.

1. You have the sat image. Basically just like Google Earth (GE). Can zoom in and out
2. Overlay it with tracks and way points that you have. I build tracks on GE and import them.
3. It shows your position on the sat image and where you are related to your tracks and way points
4. You can record a track and that shows as well (includes lots of stuff, avg moving speed, max speed, max/min altitudes, total trip duration, etc.)

Back Country Navigator is what I use. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube that show you how to import tracks and download map sections for offline use (e.g. no cell coverage).

[Edited on 5-8-2020 by JZ]

white whale - 5-7-2020 at 08:31 PM

That does sound slick.

1. You have the sat image. Basically just like Google Earth (GE). Can zoom in and out
2. Overlay it with tracks and way points that you have. I build tracks on GE and import them.
3. It shows your position on the sat image and where you are related to your tracks and way points
4. You can record a track and that shows as well (includes lots of stuff, avg moving speed, max speed, max/min altitudes, total trip duration, etc.)

Back Country Navigator is what I use. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube that show you how to import tracks and download map sections for offline use (e.g. no cell coverage).

[Edited on 5-8-2020 by JZ]

I'm still getting the hang of My Maps . Google Earth is next.. Yes just have seen a few YT clips on this process. So you record the GPS route on your phone and marry that to the G E map of the same area? I didn't think you could could get those images from an area unless the area had street view capability.
I'd like to see a clip of the biking you mentioned.

geoffff - 5-7-2020 at 10:44 PM

I'm still getting the hang of My Maps . Google Earth is next.. Yes just have seen a few YT clips on this process. So you record the GPS route on your phone and marry that to the G E map of the same area? I didn't think you could could get those images from an area unless the area had street view capability.

Street View and Satellite View are different. Street View images are taken from a car driving around on streets. This is not usually helpful for backcountry exploring.

The default 3D imagery shown in Google Earth is satellite or aerial imagery. Google Earth uses a 3D elevation model of the world to display these 2D photos taken from space in 3D.

Other apps can also show this same satellite imagery, but usually not in 3D.

Hope this helps,
-- Geoff

geoffff - 5-7-2020 at 10:50 PM

So, yes you can take a GPS track you recorded, bring it into Google Earth later on, and see it in on a 3D model of the world with satellite imagery.

Also, if you know where you'll be going ahead of time, you can also take that same satellite imagery, download it to your GPS/phone, and take it with you on your trip. Then you can see as you move about on your trip your real-time location and track (in 2D) overlaid on that satellite imagery.

PaulW - 5-14-2020 at 07:33 AM

comparing images

San Felipe area
Post by Geoffff

Screen shot from my GPS

Hanson Area
Post by Geoffff

Screen shot from my GPS

GPS shows real roads that have been driven. So other images are not as good as the good old GPS.

Geoffff, can you provide better detail from your sources than you posted?

David K - 5-14-2020 at 08:30 AM

Hanson or Hansen ??

It's Hanson, per the historic records :light::biggrin:

*Laguna Hanson: A shallow lake named after an American rancher who arrived in the area in 1872 and who was murdered in 1880, nearby, at Rancho El Rayo. A fellow American named Harvey was found guilty of killing Hanson and cooking his remains in a large cast iron pot.

geoffff - 5-14-2020 at 03:57 PM

comparing images
GPS shows real roads that have been driven. So other images are not as good as the good old GPS.

Geoffff, can you provide better detail from your sources than you posted?

No, this is the most detail provided by the INEGI map series.

Your GPS does the best job (by far) of showing the most road detail! What GPS do you have? Did those tracks come included on your GPS map, or did you have to install them? Or are they your own vehicle-recorded tracks?

The images were: Modern INEGI Mexico topo, vs. your GPS:

Old 1970s INEGI Mexico topo vs. your GPS:

-- Geoff

[Edited on 5-14-2020 by geoffff]

geoffff - 5-14-2020 at 04:07 PM

The INEGI topo maps are the Mexican government's equivalent to our USGS topographic maps.

I initally downloaded them as PDFs and JPEGs from Mexico the INEGI website https://www.inegi.org.mx/ These PDFs were then processed into image tiles. The tiles are now hosted by the Caltopo website.

I use a program ("SAS.Planet") on Windows (which is like Gaia GPS on the phone) to download these tiles and display them as maps on my tablet computer

PaulW - 5-15-2020 at 08:15 AM

Hi Geoff,
I use Murdocknav map on a Lowrance Gen2 HDS7 in my Jeep. The black and white images I posted have the same detail but from a very old Lowrance GPS that I keep on my desk either in Baja or here in CO. Now days Lowrance has changed their mapping SW for the Gen3 and Murdock has apparently given up on updating. Probably due the high license fees by Lowrance. BTW, Murdock makes no effort to show topo data -just roads. And he makes the same mistake we all do to create a road which is really a river/drainage when making a trail using Google Earth. Murdock uses a collection of both roads driven by the racer community and by creating tracks from Google Earth. Most of my odd ball tracks I have made over the years are now included in Murdok map. Murdock collects these contributions from many others and select the track of interest that has the best detail.
Using Murdock map on a Lowrance results in full detail, but for Garmin the maps are filtered due to low memory and unique SW.
Anyway, for the diehard GPS folks the Murdoc maps still work and are the best for Baja I can find (so far). (murdocknav.com)
I have another platform using an android tablet that has more roads for Baja. While the screen has better presentation, the map is crude. That map has one huge disadvantage because it is a collection of roads from every map the author could find. The result is many of the roads no longer exist. Then the author dumbed down the resolution due to memory size by filtering tracks and you know the result - bad. The map is given to friends of the author.
For my use in the states I slap the tablet on top of the Lowrance and use various maps, Maps.me, Google maps, or Earthmate. And I choose the one that is best (showing the most roads) for the location where I wheel. I am always looking for better maps.
My observation about USGS and INEGI is that I love the images, but neither are as useful as Google earth to make a future track to drive. Anyway except for topo lines the darn things are way too old to depict anything else.

geoffff - 5-15-2020 at 11:07 AM

Thank you! I had not run across Murdocknav yet.

My observation about USGS and INEGI is that I love the images, but neither are as useful as Google earth to make a future track to drive. Anyway except for topo lines the darn things are way too old to depict anything else.

Agreed!

I'd love to get that compilation of the Murdocknav GPS tracks in GPX or KMZ format, but am less interested in the trails he creates from studying Google Earth imagery (mistaken drainages and all).

In any case, since I don't run a standalone Garmin or Lowrance unit, I'll likely stick to using satellite imagery. Unfortunately they aren't as easy to see in bright sunlight as the lines of a map. I might give Murdocknav's Lowrance maps a try if I can figure out how to convert them to GPX or KMZ formats. I'll play with the sample Lowrance LCM file on his website and see what I can do with it.

[Edited on 5-15-2020 by geoffff]

converting files

John M - 5-15-2020 at 03:47 PM

Geoff - I use GPS Track Maker to convert files.

I usually convert kml to Lowrance usable .usr files but they have options for gpx and many other formats.

Or......that's not what you are talking about.

It's worked flawlessly for us.

John M

David K - 5-15-2020 at 04:04 PM

I am DIGGING the MAP discussions here!!!

Not to sidebar this, but good things will be happening soon for Baja map lovers who need more than my maps show and less than all the technical stuff that is not easy for a few of us old time, paper map fans!

Also, I have been adding to VivaBaja.com more zoomable map links and links to historic photos.

Baja California, Mexico 'Zoom-In' Topo & Satellite Map

1905-1906 E.W. Nelson Expedition 'Zoom-In' Map (printed in 1919)

1918 Goldbaum Baja Norte 'Zoom-In' Map (printed in 1925)

1962 Baja road maps by Howard Gulick (thanks to Doug Eernisse)

1971 Reconnaissance Geologic Map of Baja Norte (3 parts):

.........Northern Baja Norte

.........Central Baja Norte

.........Southern Baja Norte

Mexican Topographic Maps from INEGI
(choose scale, area, and click PDF or GeoPDF where available)

Exciting New El Camino Real Website and Google Earth Map
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peveril Meigs' Northern Baja Photos from 1925 to 1936

Howard Gulick's Baja photo collection from the 1950's and 60's

Many more of Howard Gulick's (and Harry Crosby's) Photos

Harry Crosby's Photos and El Camino Real Details

[Edited on 5-15-2020 by David K]

PaulW - 5-16-2020 at 06:59 AM

There are a host of tools that can be used to convert file formats. I also use Trackmaker mainly due to ease of use. Most tools are free, but all do a good job of converting TRACKS (not maps) from one format to another. Here is an image of the Trackmaker save options. The list allows going either way but just the output files are listed. Note for latest Trackmaker Lowrance track format is missing so a different tool is required if you want Gen3 GPS conversions.
I have not used OZI Explorer enough so I cannot brief the reader on OZI conversion options. Ozi has GE type images that are much more readable on my PC. OZI cost is $99US.

Notice the Lowrance map format (LCM) is not listed.
Now you can see why I always like a KML in order to create a track. Converting KMZ to KML is an extra step.
David could tell us his format maybe we could use this tool or other available took to convert to our favorite format.

David K - 5-16-2020 at 07:46 AM

My mapping was done with inReach Explorer and then visually seeing the roads I was on in satellite images and drawing a line over the roads I wanted to include on my 30 maps. The base map only had the paved highways and cities. All dirt roads I had to draw in and other place names, too. I really liked that since the website maps have so many errors in place names. The mapping website is ArcGIS and after drawing the roads in, I can change the base map from satellite to terrain or other base maps and my lines transfer when I change the base map. I used WORD to add in place names and other symbols I have on my maps (John M was a big help in finding or creating the symbols I used, highway names, airports, gas pumps, etc.). It was a LOT of work. I am very happy with how they turned out. The only area of Baja that I traveled for the guide and did not make a map for was the Laguna Hanson/ Sierra Juarez region. Just ran out of energy... that trip was the last and happened in 2018 after I had made the others.

I just looked at ArcGIS and I don't see the base map I used offered anymore... So, bummer for that.

[Edited on 11-8-2020 by David K]

bajaric - 11-8-2020 at 10:34 AM

Speaking of maps, thanks to Geoff for new Caltopo Baja maps, also DK for putting INEGI maps on VivaBaja web site. excellent!
One question; Why no mine symbols? The Baja Almanac has many mine symbols, and I assumed it was sourced from INEGI. Anyone know a free on line map that shows mines, for those without a Baja Almanac?

[Edited on 11-8-2020 by bajaric]

PaulW - 11-9-2020 at 06:14 AM

use Inegi the mines are there
Example

Sulfer mine.jpg - 296kB
These instructions worked several years ago

INEGI Map Download instructions
Stay with me in Spanish
Go to inegi.org.mx
Mouse on Geografia
Mouse on Temas
Mouse on Topografia
Click on Cartas topograficas
In the clave box enter your map number like H11B36
Click Consuiltar
Bottom of page is your map choices
Click on the pdf symbol for the newest version
2003 ITRF92 and let the file go to the desktop
Keep clicking until the desktop file looks like a PDF color picture. Duh
Try this
Double click on the file and then select to choose the application then choose PDF
Close the error messages and open the file on your desktop and view the topo map.
Use the usual PDF featured to get the zoom level and location you want.
To use these instructions you need the key for the maps. I cannot find the key at this time. Search Nomads for that key.
Also try https://topogeek.com/mexico/

[Edited on 11-9-2020 by PaulW]

[Edited on 11-9-2020 by PaulW]

David K - 11-9-2020 at 09:09 AM

The Inegi website has the grid for maps of Mexico once you click on the scale you want (1:50,000 for example): https://www.inegi.org.mx/temas/topografia/

You can use geoffff's Caltopo map for finding mines, too... and you can zoom in using his...

PaulW - 11-9-2020 at 09:18 AM

Good one David. I gave up trying to use Geofff link to find a mine.

The grid lines are on the sides of the PDF so it is time consuming to get the coords for particular place by labeling the grids at your place of interest at the zoom level you need. Even then you have to estimate between grids. It works, but I don't do it much anymore.

David K - 11-9-2020 at 10:36 AM

The grid lines are on the sides of the PDF so it is time consuming to get the coords for particular place by labeling the grids at your place of interest at the zoom level you need. Even then you have to estimate between grids. It works, but I don't do it much anymore.

Right... So many maps... so little time!

StuckSucks - 11-9-2020 at 11:27 AM

Gaia has a map layer called Mines and Mineral Resources. While it displays a ton of mines in the US, it only displays a small handful of mines in Baja.

By tapping on one of the mines on the map, you can learn all sorts of info, including a link to the USGS Mineral Resources Data System.

FYI the lines on the map was a map I built to direct me to this very remote location on the CA/NV border.

bajaric - 11-9-2020 at 11:34 AM

Thanks for the help with my obscure mapping question. It prompted me to revisit the INEGI web site, (link above) and what I found was that mine symbols can be hit an miss on the INEGI maps (and also Caltopo, which is based on the INEGI maps) Interestingly, some of the older (1974) 1:50,000 INEGI maps have excellent detail for mines in certain areas, then in later years the symbols disappear off the maps.

On the other hand, in some areas there no mine symbols in places where I know there are mines. One example is the Pioneer Mine. As far as I can determine, this mine on the Pioneer trail south of Pozo de Lacy is not shown on any version of the INEGI maps, the BCA, or Caltopo.

Anyhow, thanks for the help, now if I can just get some of you rock crawler 4x4 guys on speed dial to pull me out when my F150 gets stuck!

David K - 11-9-2020 at 11:50 AM

Lucky for us, Howard Gulick put it on his 1956-1962 maps...

I show it (but without the name) on my 2018 map...

[Edited on 11-10-2021 by David K]

StuckSucks - 11-10-2020 at 12:12 PM

If I understand correctly you have a difficult time figuring out lat/lon for a particular location?

CalTopo makes it super easy to get info at a location. Simply right-click to pull up a menu -- select position and elevation to see the coordinates you seek, in different formats.