BajaNomad

Photos from 1962 Automobile Club of California

geoffff - 5-9-2020 at 06:37 PM

I want it to be my job to drive Baja with the AAA's "Mapping Unit"! Here are some old photos from the Log of Baja California Mexico by the Automobile Club of Southern California (1962)

Near Laguna Chalapa - A Choice of Roads - Mapping Unit

There Are Many Miles of Rocky Road to La Purisma

Negotiating the River on the Way to La Purisma

Road Between San Quintin and El Rosario

Towering Cardon

Two Views of the Road to Bahia de Los Angeles

Road to Punta San Francisquito

Loreto Mission

Mission El Rosario

Mission San Borja

Mission San Luis Gonzaga - An Empty Shell

Mission Santa Rosalia de Mulege

Cabo San Lucas - the Tip of the Peninsula

Russ - 5-9-2020 at 06:55 PM

That was fun, Thanks:o

David K - 5-9-2020 at 06:57 PM

Love the old books and their look back in time!
Thanks for sharing Geoffff.

advrider - 5-9-2020 at 09:03 PM

Amazing find! Love those pictures, can you imagine the adventure?

ligui - 5-10-2020 at 05:56 AM

Thanks ! Great old pics . :bounce:

Meany - 5-10-2020 at 05:59 AM

Thanks so much. Boy I would had Loved to been there then. Great Old Pictures.

bajaric - 5-10-2020 at 06:42 AM

Anyone know what kind of vehicles those are? I am guessing International Harvester Travelall but maybe GMC?

I have noticed on the later AAA maps some of the roads shown on earlier maps are deleted, leaving a blank space. They actually drove those roads and some of them may have been washed out, or they were just saying "Don't go there".

David K - 5-10-2020 at 06:47 AM

I think Chevy Carryalls?

There are two different Carryalls in the old photos (different trips?): Here are photos of some of the models: http://www.langdalefamily.com/suburbanhistory5.html

[Edited on 5-10-2020 by David K]

David K - 5-10-2020 at 06:52 AM

The later maps that erased roads shown on earlier editions or showed good roads as poor roads, were the result of feedback by AAA members who expected better. Rather than tell these wusses to toughen up, they appeased their complaints. It was a legal office decision to avoid lawsuits! [This from a former AAA cartographer]

nandopedal - 5-10-2020 at 06:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Anyone know what kind of vehicles those are? I am guessing International Harvester Travelall but maybe GMC?

I have noticed on the later AAA maps some of the roads shown on earlier maps are deleted, leaving a blank space. They actually drove those roads and some of them may have been washed out, or they were just saying "Don't go there".

1963 Chevrolet panel van.

1962 roads

originalbajarunner - 5-10-2020 at 10:42 AM

In 1962 i road my harley-davidson MC to La Pas. It took 6 days.
The roads were bad but passable if you went slow.

Don Pisto - 5-10-2020 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by nandopedal  

the Sub with the eyebrows is either a '60 or '61, the other Carryall is a '62 I believe.....badazz trucks!:yes:

BajaParrothead - 5-10-2020 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
Quote: Originally posted by nandopedal  

the Sub with the eyebrows is either a '60 or '61, the other Carryall is a '62 I believe.....badazz trucks!:yes:

I'm probably wrong, but wouldn't the dual headlights be a GMC, or was that only 63-65?

AKgringo - 5-10-2020 at 12:08 PM

The Suburban link that DK posted shows the 60, and 61 Chevy models with dual headlights, and the 62 with single. lights.

bajaric - 5-10-2020 at 12:14 PM

This restored 1963 panel van looks similar, but grill is slightly different.
All the different models share the same crease in the sheet metal along the side, cool feature to increase strength, back when sheet metal was included in the design and also to add panache --

that would be slick rig for Baja in the 4x4 version.

1963-chevy-4x4-truck-panel-van-panel-truck-custom-3.jpg - 60kB

geoffff - 1-20-2022 at 09:13 PM

I learned from DavidK that the 1966 edition has better quality prints of these photos. I updated the photos on my first post to the 1966 edition versions, and here are some additional images:

Refueling Stop at El Arco

The Main Road South of San Quintin

The Road Clings to a Ledge Along Bahia de la Concepcion

Road and Gulf South of Puertecitos

Old Auto Club Sign in El Rosario

A Torturous Stretch Near San Ignacio

Mission San Ignacio

[Edited on 1-21-2022 by geoffff]

Ateo - 1-20-2022 at 11:10 PM

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

chippy - 1-21-2022 at 06:43 AM

The first photo is clearly a Chevy.The third photo says GMC on the grill.

bajaric - 1-21-2022 at 08:25 AM

The "Chevrolet" nameplate on the back would seem to indicate that it is indeed a Chevrolet --

I pity the plight of map makers for Baja. A road that was suitable for a 2WD pickup truck last month today might only be suitable for a Jesuit on a Burro.

David K - 1-21-2022 at 09:37 AM

On the later-edition AAA maps, I questioned the cartographer for it, as to why a road was downgraded from 'graded' to 'poor' (near San Felipe). I had recently traveled it (back then, around 2003) and it was a very good, graded road.

His answer was stunning and a bit sad; He said that a club member complained that is was very rough (to him) and was angry that the map indicated it was a 'good graded road'. Obviously, this city-slicker was not familiar with dirt roads in Baja. In any case, the club (or maybe their attorney) had the map changed to show it as a 'poor road'.

[Edited on 1-21-2022 by David K]

geoffff - 1-21-2022 at 09:47 AM

Interesting window into how things *actually* work behind the scenes!

I love how you track down original sources, David :D

David K - 1-21-2022 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
Interesting window into how things *actually* work behind the scenes!

I love how you track down original sources, David :D

I like talking to the people who write books or make maps about Baja. It is fun to see how much we all share in common with our love of the peninsula.
This meeting of Baja authors began when I was a kid, thanks to my dad. The first authors I met and got autographs from included Howard Gulick (Lower California Guidebook) and Ray Cannon (The Sea of Cortez)... back when I was around 9! We tried to meet Erle Stanley Gardner, drove to his Temecula ranch, but we just missed him according to Jean, his nearly life-long secretary, whom he married. Erle and the gang had just left for Baja!

pjpvi - 1-21-2022 at 10:33 AM

Thank you so much for sharing Geoff! I would have loved that "job" as well.

geoffff - 1-21-2022 at 11:47 AM

Some before & after retakes with approximately the same angles...

Road South of Puertecitos (after is 2012) GPS: 30.1549, -114.6516

Loreto Mission ("after" photo by DavidK)

San Luis Gonzaga Mission ("after" is 2016)

[Edited on 1-21-2022 by geoffff]

David K - 1-21-2022 at 12:15 PM

So cool!:light:

StuckSucks - 1-22-2022 at 03:06 PM

Love the old photos, thanks for sharing!