BajaNomad

Driving down highway 1

Cochi - 5-12-2020 at 09:44 AM

We are crossing at Tecate on May 16th. We will return to Mex 1 at Ensenada and continue on Mex 1 to San Quentin and ultimately to Punta Chivato. We both have current Inmigrado cards, Fido comiso, current property tax and copy of utility bills.
My concern or question is are the authorities allowing thru traffic (no we do not want to shop or go into the cities) to go south.
Has anyone done this? If so, information would be appreciated. And if I wanted to go down Highway 5 , I would have asked. Good idea, but not caravanning.
Also, this is essential travel to maintain our home and prepare for hurricane season

chippy - 5-12-2020 at 10:20 AM

I wouldn´t think it a problem with your proof of residency.I would not be hauling toys down (offroad vehicles boats fishing gear) as it´s still no tourist travel. My brother drove down last week to his place south of San Felipe without a problem but that´s a different route. Bring beer!

[Edited on 5-12-2020 by chippy]

Cochi - 5-12-2020 at 10:22 AM

Permanent residency status, acquired when we built our casita, suggested by attorney.

Meany - 5-12-2020 at 12:56 PM

Have all the right Papers and all the right answers and Smile a lot and bring Masks. Roll the dice and be nice. As I know you are.

Cochi - 5-12-2020 at 04:05 PM

Moved thread? Why? Where?

David K - 5-12-2020 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cochi  
Moved thread? Why? Where?

It was in the wrong forum. So, the host 'BajaNomad' aka "Doug" moved it here to the Q & A forum.

RFClark - 5-12-2020 at 04:39 PM

Friends of ours came down last week. (San Felipe) They brought beer! They were hassled about the beer. You might want to not have it out in sight.

Bajazly - 5-12-2020 at 09:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Friends of ours came down last week. (San Felipe) They brought beer! They were hassled about the beer. You might want to not have it out in sight.

We are feeling pretty left out of all the pandemic festivities with no cases here so what a great time to flock to SF.

Russ - 5-13-2020 at 05:01 AM

Have A safe uneventful trip. See ya soon. Bring some masks.

[Edited on 5-13-2020 by Russ]

PaulW - 5-13-2020 at 07:52 AM

3 cases in SF resulting in closure and disinfecting Baja Medical Center. Person after a trip to the BMC and causing the infection went back to the US. No reports the original sick person had other contacts?

Cochi - 5-13-2020 at 08:46 AM

Let's say (for example)we are in/at the Oxxo store at Estero Beach( cannot remember the street) today. If we looked out, we see Highway 1 from the store. Are there any US vehicle towing trailers with boats or Atv or side by sides heading south? Campers or motor Homes? This is the question. Also would suggest that Highway 1 is open for traffic going south.

wilderone - 5-13-2020 at 10:40 AM

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2020/apr/27/stringers-so...

I would expect more of the same.

Cochi - 5-13-2020 at 11:54 AM

Thanks Wilderone, I read the SD paper report. That was good information in April and lots good warnings about the big wait just north of Ensenada.
Hopefully, I will get someone's first hand experience of driving south on Highway 1 towing a trailer of some sort.

David K - 5-13-2020 at 12:49 PM

Thanks Wilderone, I read the SD paper report. That was good information in April and lots good warnings about the big wait just north of Ensenada.
Hopefully, I will get someone's first hand experience of driving south on Highway 1 towing a trailer of some sort.

Less than an hour ago, on the Nomad Baja Trip Reports forum: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94458

Cochi - 5-13-2020 at 01:12 PM

Thank you, Cangrejo for your report! David thank you for spotting Cangrejos post.

Cochi - 5-20-2020 at 07:50 AM

Our drive south starting in Tecate to Ensenada to SQ to Punta Chivato was all safe. At the border, same light check, no wait.Got temperatures checked in the wine country north of Ensenada. Estero Beach resort closed but we stayed with friends, no traffic, no hassles plenty of gas, all normal business until you get below SQ. Great trip!

Meany - 5-20-2020 at 08:11 AM

The Great Baja Drive. Love when all goes good. Looks like PC is Beautiful.:bounce:

SFandH - 5-20-2020 at 12:27 PM

Our drive south starting in Tecate to Ensenada to SQ to Punta Chivato was all safe. At the border, same light check, no wait.Got temperatures checked in the wine country north of Ensenada. Estero Beach resort closed but we stayed with friends, no traffic, no hassles plenty of gas, all normal business until you get below SQ. Great trip!

No problems getting FMMs??

Cochi - 5-20-2020 at 04:26 PM

We have Perm residency cards, P. Chivato is home. Even though we were never asked for documents or purpose of travel. Of course we had our masks on and respected others space.

mtgoat666 - 5-20-2020 at 06:53 PM

Mexico and USA have stated non-essential travel is prohibited :!: Why do so many ‘nomads’ think tourism and traveling to to second homes is essential :?: Seconds homes are not essential. First homes are essential.
Crikey! :!: The selfishness and disregard of public/civic duty is incredible :(

[Edited on 5-21-2020 by mtgoat666]

Russ - 5-20-2020 at 07:06 PM

Goat, again you've added your opinion... without any knowledge of individual circumstances. You never disappoint me with your pompous self righteous posts. You are quite entertaining so keep up your troll postings to help entertain us during these trying times :barf: