BajaNomad

GUESS WHERE IN BAJA (or just look at some photos)

David K - 5-14-2020 at 10:56 AM

Don't we really want more Baja in these times when we can't go to Baja??? Yes, I know we have Nomads who live in Baja or still went during the pandemic...

So, we have played this photo guessing game before and I think it has been enjoyed? Use the photo numbers with your answer (1-12).
When answered, I will add the location next to the photo number above the photo. If no guesses or wrong guesses, I will add hints.

The winner can get a free book (U.S. address only), if you want one. Your choice of: In the Shadow of the Volcano, by Mike Humfreville; Portrait of Paloma, by Harry Crosby; or Guacamole Dip, by Daniel Reveles. Photos of the books are at www.oldmissions.com

Be as exact with the location as you can... and spelling counts! ;)

1) RANCHO SANTA YNEZ (bajapedro)

2) EL MARMOL (bajarich)

3) SAN PEDRO MARTIR MUSEUM KM. 91.5+ (thebajarunner)

4) PUNTA CONO (nobody guessed correctly)

5) MOTEL at SANTA ROSALILLITA (TMW)

6) RANCHO MATOMI POOL/WATERFALL (bajapedro)

7) SAN IGNACITO 11 km. south of Santa Ynez/ Cataviña (TMW)

Originally:

8) GUERRERO NEGRO Fish Taco Truck (thebajarunner)

9) CAMPO RENE on Estero el Coyote (TMW)

10) SHELL ISLAND and Estero or Laguna Percebu (bajapedro)

11) PLAYA EL COYOTE (Pacifico)

12) MISSION CALAMAJUE (TMW)

Clearly many were too easy! Well done Nomads!

TMW is the winner with 4 correct answers.
Let me know which book you would like, Tom!

[Edited on 5-16-2020 by David K]

paranewbi - 5-14-2020 at 11:58 AM

Number 6 is.... 'where i want to be'

Number 10 is... 'where dk always goes'

Number 11 is.... 'where i want to be'

Not sure about the others

David K - 5-14-2020 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Number 6 is.... 'where i want to be'

Number 10 is... 'where dk always goes'

Number 11 is.... 'where i want to be'

Not sure about the others

All about the fun!

I should add, if anyone prefers to guess or answer privately, just u2u them to me.

bajapedro - 5-14-2020 at 12:16 PM

1-Rancho Santa Ynez
6-Rancho Matomi pool
10-Shell Island

TMW - 5-14-2020 at 12:49 PM

1-R. Santa Ynez
3-I don't remember the exact location but it's on the road toward the ocean to San Jose. Not far from the ocean. The turn off is at KM168.
The building is close to the JCT the road to Puerto Catarina.
5-Motel at Santa Rosalillita.
9-Campo Rene.
10-Shell Island.
11-Your famous Palm Tree always above the high water line.
12-Mission Calamajue

mtgoat666 - 5-14-2020 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Don't we really want more Baja in these times when we can't go to Baja??? Yes, I know we have Nomads who live in Baja or still went during the pandemic...

So, we have played this photo guessing game before and I think it has been enjoyed? Use the photo numbers with your answer (1-12).
When answered, I will add the location next to the photo number above the photo. If no guesses or wrong guesses, I will add hints.

The winner can get a free book (U.S. address only), if you want one. Your choice of: In the Shadow of the Volcano, by Mike Humfreville; Portrait of Paloma, by Harry Crosby; or Guacamole Dip, by Daniel Reveles. Photos of the books are at www.oldmissions.com

Be as exact with the location as you can... and spelling counts! ;)

11)

Isn't that THE palm tree, the most-studied/debated palm tree ever?

It appears that high tide periodically surrounds the palm trunks at high water, eh? wonder why?

thebajarunner - 5-14-2020 at 02:41 PM

3. Museum/gift shop (usually closed) in Parque Nacional San Martir

8. Taco truck stop with Curt Leduc
(that should bring some brain dead folks to life long enough to snipe and then take cover)

David K - 5-14-2020 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajapedro  
1-Rancho Santa Ynez
6-Rancho Matomi pool
10-Shell Island

YES! Exact answers for those three. Well done! Just nine more to go... less other correct answers.

David K - 5-14-2020 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
1-R. Santa Ynez
3-I don't remember the exact location but it's on the road toward the ocean to San Jose. Not far from the ocean. The turn off is at KM168.
The building is close to the JCT the road to Puerto Catarina.
5-Motel at Santa Rosalillita.
9-Campo Rene.
10-Shell Island.
11-Your famous Palm Tree always above the high water line.
12-Mission Calamajue

Good job, Tom! 'bajapedro' has answered 1 & 10 ahead of you but you are the first to answer #5, #9, and #12. I think you got #3 mixed up with another photo as it is indeed far from the ocean! #11 needs a name beyond the location just inches above high tide (where it has been for over 85 years of no sea level rise that can be seen in photographs or in person).

If you meant #4, your guess is a bit too far north and the boat is a hint as too how close to the ocean it is.

[Edited on 5-14-2020 by David K]

David K - 5-14-2020 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
3. Museum/gift shop (usually closed) in Parque Nacional San Martir

8. Taco truck stop with Curt Leduc
(that should bring some brain dead folks to life long enough to snipe and then take cover)

You are correct on #3, it is the closed museum at Km. 91.5+ nearly 8,000 feet above sea level!

You are also correct about #8, that is Curt LeDuc with his back to me eating a taco... but WHERE is this? ;)

thebajarunner - 5-14-2020 at 04:20 PM

8. According to your recent trip report it’s Guerrero Negro

David K - 5-14-2020 at 04:31 PM

8. According to your recent trip report it’s Guerrero Negro

Is that your final answer??? :lol:

Yes!

SCORE CARD

David K - 5-14-2020 at 04:36 PM

bajarich: 1
Pacifico: 1
thebajarunner: 2
bajapedro: 3
TMW: 4
paranewbi: participation award!
mtgoat666: time out for you!

Pacifico - 5-14-2020 at 05:55 PM

11. Coyote Beach

:lol::lol::lol:

Pacifico - 5-14-2020 at 06:01 PM

2. I don't know, but people are dying to go there!

David K - 5-14-2020 at 07:30 PM

Both are good answers, indeed. You got #11!

bajarich - 5-14-2020 at 08:53 PM

#2 could be at El Marmol

thebajarunner - 5-14-2020 at 09:49 PM

4. Looks like La Gringa

David K - 5-15-2020 at 08:00 AM

bajarich, CORRECT! The graveyard at El Mármol, it is.

thebajarunner, NOPE! I do see why it seemed like that, but the wrong body of water (hint).

Feathers - 5-15-2020 at 08:37 AM

lol, DK. It would've been more fun if you hadn't tagged the location of 9 out of the 12. ;)

David K - 5-15-2020 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Feathers  
lol, DK. It would've been more fun if you hadn't tagged the location of 9 out of the 12. ;)

I did that AFTER they were correctly guessed... lol

Two remain unanswered!

There is a tie between TMW and bajapedro with three answers each.

ok... late to the party... I missed that...

Feathers - 5-15-2020 at 08:59 AM

You got me. ;) Great pics, BTW.

Quote: Originally posted by Feathers  

I did that AFTER they were correctly guessed... lol

Two remain unanswered!

There is a tie between TMW and bajapedro with three answers each.

[Edited on 5-15-2020 by Feathers]

BajaTed - 5-15-2020 at 10:02 AM

Gotta love that sparkling water around the most controversial palm tree in all of Baja. How badly decayed is the hot spring pool nearby???

David K - 5-15-2020 at 04:23 PM

More hints for #4 and #7 needed?

#4 is one of the Seven Sisters. In 2017, the camp was abandoned. I found the painted names above the hut unusual. This is south of Bahía Blanco and north of Santa Rosalillita. Name the point.

#7 is where the construction crews on the transpeninsular highway going north from La Paz and south from Ensenada met, in September 1973. The 'Golden Spike' point of the famous road! In less than three more months, the road was paved and opened at the new 140 ft. Eagle Monument, near Guerrero Negro. Name the spot (a restaurant is across the highway).

We still have a tie between Tomás and Pedro!

David K - 5-15-2020 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Gotta love that sparkling water around the most controversial palm tree in all of Baja. How badly decayed is the hot spring pool nearby???

Indeed... That photo is not mine but it is sure attractive! I have not camped there and have not swam to the hot pool. I did try to find the Santispac hot spring/ mud bath... and didn't (but didn't try real hard)!

Here is my 2017 photo near the famous palm, no closer to being in the sea than it was 64 years earlier!:

1953:

Playa Coyote high tide in 2006...

Playacoyote 2006.jpg - 127kB

TMW - 5-15-2020 at 07:04 PM

#7 San Ignacito, it was a rancho at the time.

[Edited on 5-16-2020 by TMW]

David K - 5-15-2020 at 10:53 PM

Winner! San Ignacito is now a truck café... It was a restaurant but closed up for a time, now reopened. Km. 191.5, about 7 miles south of Cataviña.

Just one left, where in the Seven Sisters is that camp with the white painted rock names?

chippy - 5-16-2020 at 06:11 AM

Winner! San Ignacito is now a truck café... It was a restaurant but closed up for a time, now reopened. Km. 191.5, about 7 miles south of Cataviña.

Just one left, where in the Seven Sisters is that camp with the white painted rock names?

San Andres?

David K - 5-16-2020 at 07:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

San Andres?

Thanks for playing, but too far south. This one is "one of the points"! I guess you would have to have been there to know it or read my TRIP #4 report from 2017? It is the point accessed at the end of the 31.0 mile 'fast dirt highway' that begins near Santa Rosalillita.

chippy - 5-16-2020 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

San Andres?

Thanks for playing, but too far south. This one is "one of the points"! I guess you would have to have been there to know it or read my TRIP #4 report from 2017? It is the point accessed at the end of the 31.0 mile 'fast dirt highway' that begins near Santa Rosalillita.

I´ve been driving that coast (7 sistas) for decades. I guess I´m not very observant:(.

David K - 5-16-2020 at 08:00 AM

Well, let's end the game... as you have tried very hard!!!

PUNTA CONO is this location:

thebajarunner - 5-16-2020 at 10:25 AM

Good quiz David

Do another soon....

David K - 5-16-2020 at 10:38 AM

Good quiz David

Do another soon....

OK Dick, will do... GUESS WHERE IN BAJA II is coming soon!