BajaNomad

Catavina hotels closed

SFandH - 5-19-2020 at 10:45 AM

We drove north a couple of days ago and spent a very cold night in a tent at Rancho Santa Ynez instead.

The Los Pinos store is open.

tiotomasbcs - 5-19-2020 at 10:59 AM

Big spender! Was the tent a new upgrade?

SFandH - 5-20-2020 at 06:43 AM

BTW, the new, large hotel on the east side of the highway just north of Colonet was open. A friend I was caravaning with stayed there as we continued on.

David K - 5-21-2020 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
BTW, the new, large hotel on the east side of the highway just north of Colonet was open. A friend I was caravaning with stayed there as we continued on.

New hotel, north of Colonet? Do you have any more details?

The Hotel Paraiso Colonet has been open for ten years and is 3 kms. south of Colonet. I took some photos from the helicopter in 2014:

Located at Km. 131 https://www.yelp.com/biz/hotel-paraiso-colonet-colonet

thebajarunner - 5-21-2020 at 10:16 AM

Every time we pass this place I am wondering why the big investment in such a crappy location.....
Not exactly the tourist center of Northern Baja
I guess ag based folks might stay there, but San Quintin has plenty of decent spots.
I also don't see many cars when we pass.
Oh well, some folks have plenty of money to invest in dreams...

Pacifico - 5-21-2020 at 10:25 AM

We ended up staying there one night because a friends offroad car broke right by there. Worked out perfectly! They opened the bar that is down by the highway for us while we waited for some parts. I remember the food being surprisingly good as well in the restaurant!

BajaBlanca - 5-25-2020 at 03:28 AM

We have often wondered about that hotel! Good to know it is an option. Photos, anyone?

del mar - 5-25-2020 at 09:27 AM

don't know about now but shortly after it was open my friend that sold farm equipment in Colonet told me the bar out front was the spot to find "rentals"! ( . Y . )

Pacifico - 5-25-2020 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
don't know about now but shortly after it was open my friend that sold farm equipment in Colonet told me the bar out front was the spot to find "rentals"! ( . Y . )

:lol::lol::lol: No rentals when I was there!

IF you Build it, Will They COME ?

MrBillM - 5-25-2020 at 09:51 AM

Maybe ?

Why There ?

Back in the '70s, that question arose over the placement of many oddly-located El Presidente hotels. Paraphrasing ......... the answer was that the government's primary consideration was the boost that constructing such a hotel would give to local depressed economies with the "assumption" that it would attract the hoped-for consumer traffic.

motoged - 5-25-2020 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

Do they have any off-road models? Two or four stroke?

TMW - 5-26-2020 at 03:57 AM

I stayed there a couple of years ago food was good and room was good. At the time it was $40 US. Bar down below was closed but drinks available in the restaurant.

dtbushpilot - 5-26-2020 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I stayed there a couple of years ago food was good and room was good. At the time it was $40 US. Bar down below was closed but drinks available in the restaurant.

X2

Pacifico - 5-26-2020 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

Do they have any off-road models? Two or four stroke?

:lol::lol::lol: