BajaNomad

Let's talk about battery boosters

JZ - 5-20-2020 at 08:41 PM

Who has one? Man, these things have gotta small and powerful. They charge all kinds of stuff too.

Here's the one we use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D42TYFC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b...

[Edited on 5-21-2020 by JZ]

AKgringo - 5-20-2020 at 09:13 PM

I bought a "Type S" jump starter/power pack at Costco a couple of years ago for about $60. It has about the same specs as the one you have, and has served me well!

If you are not using it regularly, be sure to plug it and top off the charge once in a while.

chippy - 5-21-2020 at 05:01 AM

I have the NOCO boost plus. Haven´t needed to use it yet.

https://no.co/gb40

John Harper - 5-21-2020 at 05:06 AM

I have a NOCO GB40, same a chippy. Used it three times to jump fellow teacher's cars in the last two years. Easy and effective. Just took it out of truck last week after almost a year, needed to top it off a bit, but it seems to work great. I like the ability to charge an iPad or phone if needed. That might be handy if you're camped a few days and just want to recharge the iPad for reading.

John

pacificobob - 5-21-2020 at 07:00 AM

There is no free lunch. The tiny ones have tiny performance. They will do a great job of charging the phone, less so turning over the 7.3 liter power stroke.

PaulW - 5-21-2020 at 07:11 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA

AKgringo - 5-21-2020 at 07:27 AM

I dug out the spec sheet for my Type S, and the unit JZ posted here lists a much greater output than mine. Maybe time to upgrade!

chippy - 5-21-2020 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

After watching that video I think I better upgrade:lol:

David K - 5-21-2020 at 08:08 AM

Audew wins!

JZ - 5-21-2020 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
There is no free lunch. The tiny ones have tiny performance. They will do a great job of charging the phone, less so turning over the 7.3 liter power stroke.

Not true. The one I posted is tiny, and will start my 3/4 ton diesel. They are lithium batteries.

[Edited on 5-22-2020 by JZ]

AKgringo - 5-21-2020 at 08:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

The one I posted is tiny, and will start my 3/4 ton diesel.

Good to know! The one I have is not among those being tested on the video, but it cranks my old 460 ford just fine. A diesel takes a bunch more amps to crank!

Paco Facullo - 5-21-2020 at 08:50 AM

I just bought a "Type S" jump starter/power pack at Costco , it was on sale for $45 ( it should be fine as my rig is small)

Also bought a 50 quart 12volt ac/dc refrigerator/freezer for my upcoming Montana trip.
Didn't want to have to maintain ice in my regular ice chest and have to go into stores as often.

I have jumper cables but being as I will be "out there" and in the back country , I didn't want to chance a dead battery and no one around.

bent-rim - 5-21-2020 at 09:06 AM

Reading Lencho's post reminded me of how my dad operated a International Harvester TD-18 Bulldozer. He had to start it up on gasoline until the engine warmed up enough to switch it over to diesel. He taught me how operate it a little bit when I was 11-12. There was "lever A" and "Lever B" and don't touch "Lever B", to this day I have no idea what Lever B did. But I love the term.

AKgringo - 5-21-2020 at 09:28 AM

On my dad's old Caterpillar D-7, the starting motor was a gasoline engine. He would start the starting motor, let it warm up, then with the fuel shut off, open the compression release on the diesel motor, and engage it.

After it had cranked long enough to circulate the oil and was turning freely, he would open the fuel and close the compression release valves and horse power happened!

Never start a diesel with gasoline, things break!

Lee - 5-21-2020 at 09:58 AM

Awesome vid. Upgrading to the Audew today. Thx

KasloKid - 5-21-2020 at 10:03 AM

Decades ago, I operated a cable blade D-8 dozer. The gasoline starter motor was referred to as the "Pup"motor. It was a brute to operate... no hydraulic assist on the steering clutches.

I put JZ's battery booster on my Amazon wish list for a later purchase. Thanks for that. My old unit pack had started bulging, meaning I had to dispose of it due to it being a fire/explosion hazard.

[Edited on 5-21-2020 by KasloKid]

AKgringo - 5-21-2020 at 10:10 AM

My dad referred to the starter as a "pony motor".

Alm - 5-21-2020 at 10:14 AM

They are lithium batteries. That's why they are small, for a given capacity. This is about the only benefit of Li batts - high energy density. Wioth all the usual drawbacks of Li batts.

They don't like getting too hot (like in a locked car on a sunny day), or too cold, or 100% full or stored near empty for long time. The more you do it to them, the sooner you have to buy a new one.

Going up in flames is another thing that Li batts do, luckily not very often.

John Harper - 5-21-2020 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

That's what I heard them called. My friend's dad had a dozer that had one of those starter "pony" motors.

John

[Edited on 5-21-2020 by John Harper]

JZ - 5-21-2020 at 10:55 AM

Great video. Thanks for posting.

LancairDriver - 5-21-2020 at 11:18 AM

I keep a small one on my boat and have one in my diesel pickup also. I also carry a larger one to backup my 650hp diesel RV. They definitely provide some comfort level especially traveling in some of Baja’s more remote areas.

KasloKid - 5-21-2020 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

That's what I heard them called. My friend's dad had a dozer that had one of those starter "pony" motors.

John

[Edited on 5-21-2020 by John Harper]

Pup or Pony, maybe a US vs Canada thing, eh?

Amazing how technology has changed the way we do things now...

I'm curious about the point made about "the more you do to them, the less they like it" more specifically, they don't like to be 100% charged???
I charged mine up to 100% every 3 months, even though I hadn't used it.. the led indicators would drop by 20% or so, so I'd charge it back to full. The next time frame of 3 months went by so it was time to charge it again, but the darn thing had swollen up a lot... not good news.
Would it be advisable to charge less often?

pacificobob - 5-21-2020 at 12:39 PM

Yahama had diesel outboards that started on gasoline and then switched to diesel. I had a 40hp purchased in Honduras in the late 70s.
The fuel tank had 2 compartments a small one held the gasoline.

chippy - 5-21-2020 at 02:16 PM

Yahama had diesel outboards that started on gasoline and then switched to diesel. I had a 40hp purchased in Honduras in the late 70s.
The fuel tank had 2 compartments a small one held the gasoline.

I´ve never seen a diesel Yamaha outboard but I have seen Yanmar diesel outboards. I believe they are still being made today.

John Harper - 5-21-2020 at 03:58 PM

I think the "pony" engine just turned over the higher compression diesel motor. Even compressing air in the diesel cylinders would heat up the motor, then you could add fuel and get it started. Probably the days before "glow plugs" to start a diesel.

John

pacificobob - 5-21-2020 at 04:54 PM

Spark plugs...hmmm that was 40+ years ago. I can't remember what happened yesterday. Seems like it did. The provided fuel tank had about a 1 liter part for the gasoline. I do remember that they were always dirty looking from diesel.

pacificobob - 5-21-2020 at 05:05 PM

They are still available. Just not in the 1st world. Google Yamaha enduro.
They refer to them as kerosene burning, but they use diesel and other fuels I have used jetA, and JP5. long story.

bent-rim - 5-22-2020 at 09:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Never start a diesel with gasoline, things break!

Re BentRim's DT-18:

It was said at the time that there were two kinds of TD-18 – those that had cracked a head and those that were about to."

I remember him changing the heads on it. There were 2 of them 3 cylinders each and they had valves in them as I remember.

Mulege Canuck - 5-24-2020 at 08:15 AM

Boosters are great to get your truck started, but if your alternator goes your truck won’t run that long once it is started.

Since I have a camper, I have batteries and an inverter in the RV. I carry a battery charger. I can let the camper charge the truck battery. Once fully charged, your truck will run for quite a while without the alternator working if you don’t use the AC and keep the windows down.

AKgringo - 5-24-2020 at 08:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
Boosters are great to get your truck started, but if your alternator goes your truck won’t run that long once it is started.

Since I have a camper, I have batteries and an inverter in the RV. I carry a battery charger. I can let the camper charge the truck battery. Once fully charged, your truck will run for quite a while without the alternator working if you don’t use the AC and keep the windows down.

It can go the other way as well. In February, the built in regulator in my Isuzu alternator failed, and cooked my battery to the point of destruction.

Fortunately for me, the grounds keeper/handyman at Campestre Maranatha in Chametla had the diagnostic tools and experience to find and fix the problem right in the camp!

AutoZone in La Paz delivered an alternator and battery, and I didn't even have to get my hands dirty.

David K - 5-24-2020 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  

It can go the other way as well. In February, the built in regulator in my Isuzu alternator failed, and cooked my battery to the point of destruction.

Fortunately for me, the grounds keeper/handyman at Campestre Maranatha in Chametla had the diagnostic tools and experience to find and fix the problem right in the camp!

AutoZone in La Paz delivered an alternator and battery, and I didn't even have to get my hands dirty.

Great story!

MMc - 5-24-2020 at 05:28 PM

I have used a X-10 that was rated the best when I purchased 5 years ago. I love it.

bajaric - 5-26-2020 at 10:58 AM

I got a Interstate Branded Li ion battery booster a couple years ago. Worked great at first but last time I tried to use it the power died after less than a second of turning the engine over - and when these die, they die. I would carry a set of jumper cables and even a spare car battery in critical situations but great for charging up electronics

edit: lest I cause undue anxiety for those who depend on the lithium jump starters, all it needed was to be charged up and it worked fine again. These need to be recharged after every use and topped off regularly. Many rechargeable battery issues can be resolved by a good long charge-

I tried connecting it to an inverter, but the voltage coming out of the jump starter (15v) shut off the inverter, so in that sense a lead acid battery would be better.

[Edited on 5-27-2020 by bajaric]

del mar - 5-26-2020 at 12:14 PM

after a long and expensive stay in catavina waiting on parts we now carry an alternator along with the deep cycle battery we always carry. peace of mind!

Maderita - 5-26-2020 at 02:19 PM

I think of a battery booster as insurance. Not something I plan on using, but as a backup for emergency use.
Another form of "insurance" is dual batteries with an isolator switch.
Still another "insurance plan" is Priority Start. And a top-quality battery to begin with. https://www.odysseybattery.com/
Here's a re-post for those who are interested:

"Priority Start" device prevents dead battery
I've been using the Priority Start device for several years in two 4x4 vehicles.
They work as advertised and are cost-effective. It just occurred to me to post about it here, to save others from becoming stranded with a dead battery and a long walk for help.

The device is a "Low-Voltage Automatic Battery Disconnect Switch."
https://www.prioritystart.com/

Very simple to install. Price is a little over $100. Well worth it. Maybe save a few dollars on eBay "Buy It Now" w/ free shipping.
(And, no, I don't own stock in the company ;)

One installation minor suggestion: The giant "rubber band" (actually ethylene propylene terpolymer) may not be entirely adequate to hold the device firmly to the battery over several years. (At least, the way I drive off road). I linked a couple zip ties (aka plastic wire ties) and wrapped the circumference of the battery with the device. x2 for added security.

PaulW - 5-27-2020 at 06:26 AM

"Low-Voltage Automatic Battery Disconnect Switch."
https://www.prioritystart.com/
==== =
My new F150 come with electronic feature built in that does the same thing. Many new vehicles have the same feature. This is required for load shedding to keep the battery from discharging from parasite loads.
The Gladiator comes with unique a backup battery instead of a load shedding electronics. Yup is is a pretty small battery to keep the stuff alive while the start battery is isolated to keep it in its charged state. IMO, the Jeeps design is better than the Ford design.

Unlike a 'Jump Start" the "Priority Start" will not allow a bad battery to start your rig and it does not perform load shedding.
Just another gimmick to take your money.
However I endorse high capacity reliable batteries like https://www.odysseybattery.com/
Not a cheap battery.

bajaric - 5-27-2020 at 11:05 AM

On the late model f150's if the battery is low the first thing it does is inactivate the engine auto-shutoff (fuel saving function), then it starts showing a message that says "System off to save battery" so you have plenty of warning the battery needs replacement soon.

My 2016 also has dashboard tire pressure display all 4 tires and alarm if a flat is sensed. I don't know if airing down would set off the alarm because I never air down tires, generally my truck 2016 F150 is light and nimble on dirt roads, sand, not so much, so I just don't go there..

JZ - 5-27-2020 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
I don't know if airing down would set off the alarm because I never air down tires, generally my truck 2016 F150 is light and nimble on dirt roads, sand, not so much, so I just don't go there..

Airing down sets off a low pressure warning on my Silverado.

You should always air down in the dirt. The ride will be much smoother.

[Edited on 5-27-2020 by JZ]

David K - 5-27-2020 at 11:11 AM

On the late model f150's if the battery is low the first thing it does is inactivate the engine auto-shutoff (fuel saving function), then it starts showing a message that says "System off to save battery" so you have plenty of warning the battery needs replacement soon.

My 2016 also has dashboard tire pressure display all 4 tires and alarm if a flat is sensed. I don't know if airing down would set off the alarm because I never air down tires, generally my truck 2016 F150 is light and nimble on dirt roads, sand, not so much, so I just don't go there..

When I air down (to under 20 psi), the low pressure light comes on. I can reset it or just hope I don't get a flat while aired down. The warning light (when you are a street pressure), naturally means a tire is losing air if it comes on while driving. I have experienced that several times... and it is great because I have time to find a place to park and locate the puncture before the tire is really flat! Most times, I can repair the leak on the spot, no dismounting, no spare dropping, and refill with my pump. No problema amigos!

PaulW - 5-28-2020 at 05:39 AM

The low pressure warning is a good feature and I am glad it is required.
An example after leaving Baja we stop in a high elevation town for the night and the temperature gets low and I get a low pressure and have to top off all the tires.

PaulW - 5-28-2020 at 05:50 AM

Another thing that Ford does is it goes into deep sleep after parking for several days. It disables a large number of parasite loads. All to keep the battery at a higher level than otherwise. The gadget that does this is called a battery monitor (or similar). It attaches to the battery where it monitors battery state of charge. It also controls the alternator via the ECU to lower the output when the battery state of charge is adequate. The result it a fractional improvement in fuel economy.

All this gadgetry in my opinion is not as good as the Jeep solution of a small battery dedicated for the parasite loads.

Jump Start Device

PaulW - 6-12-2020 at 09:09 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA[/rquote
=== ==== =
Here is the latest for those that have not got one yet.
Audew 2000A Peak 20000mAh Car Jump Starter for All Gas Engines or Up To 8.5L Diesel Engines with LCD Power Display
$92,49 free shipping

bajaric - 6-12-2020 at 10:34 AM

Just to reiterate, I got a Interstate lithium battery jump starter a couple of years ago. I do not know if Interstate actually manufactures their own batteries, more likely piggy back on some production facility and slaps their brand on it. Anyhow, when it was new it was awesome! It jump started a 350 cu in V8 on my old truck with a stone dead battery that I pulled out of the scrap pile.

Two years later, I had not kept it fully charged, and it only worked for about one second, but after I gave it a good long charge it worked great. These need to be charged frequently. Nice little item to have for back up also to charge electronics with the USB port.

[Edited on 6-12-2020 by bajaric]

bajaric - 5-3-2023 at 05:44 PM

Update on this thread: After 4 years my Interstate Lithium Battery jump starter went kaput. It swelled up and stopped working. I got maybe 20 jumps out of it.

So this time I got a Vector 1200 amp "Professional Power Station" at Home Depot, about $145. This has a 12-volt lead acid AGM battery. In addition to clamps for jump starting it also has an air compressor, 500 watt a/c inverter that will power a small drill or flat screen TV on ac/power, and a USB charger. It is a little big and heavy but I like it better than the Lithium thing. Time will tell how long the battery will last but if it goes dead it can be replaced without junking the whole unit.

[Edited on 5-4-2023 by BajaNomad]

JZ - 5-3-2023 at 06:42 PM

Good bump. I have one on my boat. Just incase we anchor out too long and forget to turn off the stereo/electronics.

My kid used it about 3 months ago to jump start his car.

Take it with me in the boat, truck, and RZR.

[Edited on 5-4-2023 by JZ]

AKgringo - 5-3-2023 at 07:14 PM

I went back to the start of this thread, and the "Type S" unit that I mentioned was over two years old then and is still functioning as designed!

A couple of months ago, a wet, heavy snow fall took out trees and power lines all over our county. A couple of retired sisters that have property next to mine lost power for almost two weeks!

They also lost their back-up generator for a few days, so I took my charger out to them and they were able to keep their phones, and I-pad charged up until the repair guy got there.

I repeat what I advised two years ago, pull them out and charge them up once in a while, even if you haven't used them. Mine is over five years old now, and has been used quite a few times.

JZ - 5-3-2023 at 07:48 PM

I went back to the start of this thread, and the "Type S" unit that I mentioned was over two years old then and is still functioning as designed!

A couple of months ago, a wet, heavy snow fall took out trees and power lines all over our county. A couple of retired sisters that have property next to mine lost power for almost two weeks!

They also lost their back-up generator for a few days, so I took my charger out to them and they were able to keep their phones, and I-pad charged up until the repair guy got there.

I repeat what I advised two years ago, pull them out and charge them up once in a while, even if you haven't used them. Mine is over five years old now, and has been used quite a few times.

Great story. Thanks for sharing AK.

They do hold the charge for a long time.