BajaNomad

sunglasses

pauldavidmena - 6-10-2020 at 05:12 AM

I've heard several different translations for "sunglasses", but mostly "gafas de sol". In college, where I was taught (and promptly forgot) Castilian, they used "anteojos de sol". And my Spanishdict.com word of the day translates it "lentes de sol". What is the most common phrase used in Baja?

RnR - 6-10-2020 at 05:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
I've heard several different translations for "sunglasses", but mostly "gafas de sol". In college, where I was taught (and promptly forgot) Castilian, they used "anteojos de sol". And my Spanishdict.com word of the day translates it "lentes de sol". What is the most common phrase used in Baja?

Common word here in the La Paz area is "Polarizados".

You hear it in conversations and on the vendors signs and advertisements.

pauldavidmena - 6-10-2020 at 06:06 AM

One of my Puerto Rican cousins just mentioned a new Spanish-ism: "Los Cheds" ("shades").

Pablito1 - 6-10-2020 at 06:20 AM

In Peru it's anteojos de sol.

SFandH - 6-10-2020 at 08:30 AM

I just looked at a website of a TJ optometrist. It's using anteojos for eyeglasses and lentes for contact lenses. Makes sense.

But, generally, I think lentes works for eyeglasses too.

AKgringo - 6-10-2020 at 08:53 AM

I bought both prescription sunglasses, and bifocal clear regular glasses at the Walmart in La Paz in February.

The receipt lists the bifocals as "lente bifocal", but the Ray Ban sunglass show up as a line of code that doesn't translate.

Polerizado was discussed in the all Spanish transaction, but it does not appear on the receipt.

[Edited on 6-10-2020 by AKgringo]

Don Pisto - 6-10-2020 at 09:48 AM

at least in rosarito.....street vendors go with "gafas"

Loretana - 6-10-2020 at 10:04 AM

Lentes del sol here in Loreto

thebajarunner - 6-10-2020 at 10:30 AM

My Jalisco born esposa says...

"lentes para del sol"

She says
"gafas" are used for welding

RnR - 6-10-2020 at 11:54 AM

Just talked to a Mexican friend in La Ventana -

Sunglasses - Lentes de sol

Polarizados - Polarized

Gafas - Goggles (welding or safety glasses)

However - the local usage by all of the panga captains is simply "los polarizados"

A street vender shows up about every two months in La Ventana and sets up near the Oxxo for a few days. His sign on his van simply says "Polarizados y Gorras". Sunglasses and ball caps.

Obviously, any of the above usages will get the point across. :)

pacificobob - 6-11-2020 at 07:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

"lentes para del sol"
Thanks.

Forgive my doubt but could she possibly be saying "lentes para el sol"?

Very diplomatically stated. My guess is you are correct about what she said.

Agreed on both points

thebajarunner - 6-11-2020 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

"lentes para del sol"
Thanks.

Forgive my doubt but could she possibly be saying "lentes para el sol"?

Very diplomatically stated. My guess is you are correct about what she said.

Very kindly stated
and yes, I did misinterpret her translation

el and del sound a lot alike to my Gringo ears.....

del mar - 6-11-2020 at 12:45 PM

I have no idea where it came from but all my friends refer to sunglasses as "julio's":coolup:

JZ - 6-11-2020 at 01:20 PM

My MX friend in Sonora says lentes de sol.

Cancamo - 6-11-2020 at 01:51 PM

Cuban Spanish; " Pezuelos", go figure, they tend to make everything distinctly their own when it comes to language.

AKgringo - 6-12-2020 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Polerizado was discussed in the all Spanish transaction, but it does not appear on the receipt.
Ah. Was the salesperson for sure referring to the complete item, or to the characteristic that the lenses were polarized?

Sorry for the slow reply! When I was selecting a frame style for the dark glasses, I was shown a pair of Italian "Ray*Ban" glasses, and I said yes to the frames. When I got the frames back with the prescription lenses installed, the factory RayBan lenses (with logo intact) were included in the box.

I don't know if the original lenses were polarized, but the ones they ground to my prescription don't seem to be any better than a standard sunglass.

shari - 6-13-2020 at 09:42 AM

here they use Antiojos