BajaNomad

Places to stay between San Felipe and Guerrero Negro?

ranpar01 - 6-10-2020 at 05:53 PM

We are planning an early morning crossing at Tecate, heading over to Hwy 5 and then southbound toward Todos Santos. I want to make a good amount of progress south that first day but depending how long it takes at the border I'm thinking Guerrero Negro is too ambitious (don't want to drive at night). San Felipe is not far enough south, but I'm not seeing any motels on the map between San Felipe and Guerrero negro? Hoping there are some smaller places that Google doesn't know about along that route? I've never taken this route so wondering how far most people drive south on the 5 (from Tecate) on day one and maybe get some recommendations on places to stay the night. Don't want to camp out, so need a motel. Thanks!

bajafreaks - 6-10-2020 at 06:02 PM

https://alfonsinas.com/?lang=en
Gonzaga Bay if you want a hotel is really youre only option, Alfonsinas it definitely has mixed reviews.

tiotomasbcs - 6-10-2020 at 06:08 PM

I believe it is doable crossing early but it's a long stretch to GN. search reports...or hold up in El Rosario. Small places...NOT---camping only in between.
You do understand we are still in Cuarentina in BCS and Todos Santos. As a local here in Pescadero I would hope you would Quarentine for 2 weeks upon arrival! BCS has not opened yet as we are still in high stages. I would wait up North. Wait a minute...You say crossing Tecate..and then saySan Felipe??? Not a good indication you know what you're doing!?? Sorry.

[Edited on 6-11-2020 by tiotomasbcs]

Paco Facullo - 6-10-2020 at 06:11 PM

I'm sure that you could make it to GN in one day. I did from Santa Monica, although I left at 3:30 am

Crossing into TJ about 6:00 am after getting FMM's

It was one LONG day but made it before dusk.

David K - 6-10-2020 at 06:32 PM

Alfonsina's is a beautiful beach resort not a overnight motel so it is not cheap.

Get to the border when it opens or soon after... Because you can easily get to Guerrero Negro in one day.

There are small motels north of Guerrero Negro at Nuevo Rosarito (Cactus Motel, on the left) and in Villa Jesus Maria (on the right).

SFandH - 6-10-2020 at 06:57 PM

Most motels were closed 3 weeks ago when we did the drive.

ranpar01 - 6-10-2020 at 08:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
I believe it is doable crossing early but it's a long stretch to GN. search reports...or hold up in El Rosario. Small places...NOT---camping only in between.
You do understand we are still in Cuarentina in BCS and Todos Santos. As a local here in Pescadero I would hope you would Quarentine for 2 weeks upon arrival! BCS has not opened yet as we are still in high stages. I would wait up North. Wait a minute...You say crossing Tecate..and then saySan Felipe??? Not a good indication you know what you're doing!?? Sorry.

Totally understand about the quarantine, i own a home in Los Barriles and will quarantine there. My co-driver owns a casita in Todos and that’s why I have to stop there, to drop him off. You are correct about me not knowing what I am doing, that is why I am researching and asking questions here. 😃 So help me out - The advice I got was to cross at Tecate and take the toll road over to highway 5, then head south. Now that the 5 is completed I’m told it’s much faster. Going that way takes me right past San Felipe right? If I have that wrong please let me know, I’ve got a couple more weeks to nail down the route so open to suggestions. Thanks

[Edited on 6-11-2020 by tiotomasbcs]

ranpar01 - 6-10-2020 at 08:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Alfonsina's is a beautiful beach resort not a overnight motel so it is not cheap.

Get to the border when it opens or soon after... Because you can easily get to Guerrero Negro in one day.

There are small motels north of Guerrero Negro at Nuevo Rosarito (Cactus Motel, on the left) and in Villa Jesus Maria (on the right).

Great, thank you - this is super helpful!

Paco Facullo - 6-10-2020 at 08:19 PM

I would think that crossing at Mexicali might be better than Tecate but I'm not sure?

Nomads, what'cha think ???

ranpar01 - 6-10-2020 at 08:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Most motels were closed 3 weeks ago when we did the drive.

Thanks, I'll be watching the trip reports closely to see what is open. I'm hearing most Cabo hotels are set to open on 6/15 and I head down on 6/26 so hoping most will be open by then.

ranpar01 - 6-10-2020 at 09:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
I would think that crossing at Mexicali might be better than Tecate but I'm not sure?

I asked this same question a few weeks ago, got a lot of great replies but no definitive answer - it was pretty close to 50/50 and seemed to be personal preference.

ranpar01 - 6-10-2020 at 10:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ranpar01  
Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

I asked this same question a few weeks ago, got a lot of great replies but no definitive answer - it was pretty close to 50/50 and seemed to be personal preference.

Here is the link to that question about crossing in Tecate vs. Mexacali:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94569

JZ - 6-10-2020 at 10:03 PM

Mexicali is faster for sure.

If you have 2 drivers I'd just haul ass to GN. Leave about 5am and you'll make it no problem.

If not, bring a small tent and rough it for one night.

[Edited on 6-11-2020 by JZ]

ranpar01 - 6-10-2020 at 10:38 PM

Sounding like making it to GN on day one is doable with an early start, thanks for the replies. I'm trying to find out now if Mexicali is open earlier than Tecate. I know the hours for both have been shortened due to COVID but can't find the exact open/close times anywhere.

KasloKid - 6-10-2020 at 10:42 PM

I just did the routing math on my mapping program...
Tecate - S Felipe - G Negro 440 Miles
Tecate - Ensenada - G Negro 446 Miles.
If you're thinking that you'll average 50 mph, you won't, or at least you shouldn't (IMHO). Too many road hazards to slow you down, including potholes, cows and horses on the road.

I think time wise, they'd be fairly close to each other.... depending if there's construction still going on south of Ensenada.

The advantage of driving Tecate - Ensenada - G Negro is there are a lot more and better motel choices -

I agree with the assessment of Alfonsinsa's and mixed reviews. Some think it's a paradise, others think it's a sh*t hole. I've only stayed there once and won't ever again. I prefer to make my first day a short one. Start at Yuma, stay at S Felipe, then it's a doable day to get to Loreto .... highway is fairly decent....(500 miles) We did it last year and were were in Loreto by dinner time (we took a lunch with us and ate on the road).

mtgoat666 - 6-11-2020 at 05:58 AM

I do San Diego to GN in under 10 hours via the 5. So you can easily get to GN from Tecate in 1 day.

Wasting time xing at tecate. Cross at Mexicali.

BajaMama - 6-11-2020 at 06:10 AM

According to Google Maps it is a 9 hour drive to GN from Mexicali. Which means 7-8 depending on speed, I hear Mex 5 is paved all the way. Quite doable. Does anyone know if Hotel TerraSal is open?

bajafreaks - 6-11-2020 at 06:12 AM

Agreed cross at Mexicali west go to GN last time we stayed at the Halfway Inn it was clean decent food good little bar and good price.

BajaParrothead - 6-11-2020 at 06:44 AM

Sounding like making it to GN on day one is doable with an early start, thanks for the replies. I'm trying to find out now if Mexicali is open earlier than Tecate. I know the hours for both have been shortened due to COVID but can't find the exact open/close times anywhere.

The end of February I crossed Mexicali East at 6:00 AM, obtained FMM, paid aduanas for all my housewares, obtained my TIP for my boat and was checking into GN at 6:00 PM.
The end of this month, I'll leave Plumas County at 5:00 AM and arrive in San Felipe by about 7:30 PM. next stop Loreto and hit Los Barriles in time for lunch on day 3.:D

AKgringo - 6-11-2020 at 07:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  

The end of February I crossed Mexicali East at 6:00 AM, obtained FMM, paid aduanas for all my housewares, obtained my TIP for my boat and was checking into GN at 6:00 PM.
The end of this month, I'll leave Plumas County at 5:00 AM and arrive in San Felipe by about 7:30 PM. next stop Loreto and hit Los Barriles in time for lunch on day 3.:D

From Portola, do you head west to I-5, or east to 395 on your way south? I am just south of you in Nevada County, and I prefer the east side of the Sierras.

billklaser - 6-11-2020 at 07:32 AM

We drive to Loreto from San Diego 5 or 6 times a year. Usually cross at TJ about daybreak and get to San Ignacio in 11 hours. We are going down in a week or so, but plan to cross at Tecate & go 5 . I think it is probably faster to go through Mexicali but never been on the road from Tecate to Mexicali on the Mexican side. Not sure how many hotels are open at this time, so I am planning on stopping at San Ignacio for the night, if that doesn't work will just drive into Loreto.

David K - 6-11-2020 at 07:47 AM

The beauty of crossing at Tecate is to avoid the 5+ miles of city traffic in Mexicali. You only have a little bit of city driving to get out of Tecate and the toll road meets Hwy. 5 well south of the city traffic of Mexicali.

However, Mexicali is not that bad to drive across... lots of signs for San Felipe, most of them are correct (lol)!

Calexico/Mexicali West is a 24-hour border, Tecate is not and Tecate has an even shorter opening time now.

Mexico 2-D is the 'direct' route from Tecate to San Felipe and avoids city traffic:

DIWR17 - 6-11-2020 at 09:50 AM

I just came back north last week from SJD. I did end up coming all the way up Hwy 1, through Ensenada crossing at San Ysidro.

Stayed at Coral Marina in Ensenada. Had the whole place to myself, very clean interesting entry, room service only.

3 temp checks from San Quentin to Ensenada. Did not see any checkpoints on the tollway going south that everyone has talked about.

I can tell you San Ignacio Bed & Breakfast is open(for essential travelers). As I call it, the Yurt Place. Great people there!

I did drive into GN for gas and Malarrimo, did not look open to me.

Mulege Brewery was open (bought a Growler), Don't know about accomodation.

Mulege to SJD, I would say traffic as usual, no more no less. There were a couple of Federale checkpoints north of La Paz. If you have the right paperwork as in landowner,you could get through I assume. They are not worried about people heading north, just south.

Hope this helps.

JZ - 6-11-2020 at 12:56 PM

Marina Coral is my favorite hotel in Baja Norte.

David K - 6-11-2020 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

What town is that in? Baja Norte is a big place.

chippy - 6-11-2020 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

What town is that in? Baja Norte is a big place.

Ensenada.

David K - 6-11-2020 at 03:33 PM

Just 90 minutes from the border...
Might be really helpful if you didn't enter Mexico until 3-4 pm? Great if you begin your driving day in Northern California or elsewhere far away!

DIWR17 - 6-11-2020 at 07:51 PM

https://www.hotelcoral.com/

Ensenada. Paid $85 plus tax for a King Suite

mtgoat666 - 6-11-2020 at 08:29 PM

Just 90 minutes from the border...
Might be really helpful if you didn't enter Mexico until 3-4 pm? Great if you begin your driving day in Northern California or elsewhere far away!

Dk,
Many people make Ensenada a destination to visit on their travels...
Ensenada certainly is a better place to visit compared to la paz :light:
Not everybody is in a hurry to rush to the baja desert to camp on a desolate, windy beach and be sunburned, sand blasted :light:

David K - 6-11-2020 at 08:38 PM

The thread question is for places to stay between San Felipe and Guerrero Negro. Not sure how Ensenada was even brought up?

bajaric - 6-12-2020 at 07:14 AM

Besides Alphonsinas, There is a downscale motel at Punta Bufeo; a few rooms back behind some beach front houses, also trailers at Rancho Grande that may be for rent. Tourist traffic is pretty thin along there during the summer and it is not uncommon for an owner to lock up and leave for a few days. In this area beach camping under a palapa is the traditional option, there are many beach camps and if one is closed just keep going to the next one.

From San Diego it is about 5 hours to San Felipe, 8 hours to Gonzaga, past there you will be exhausted, driving on narrow road to make it to Guerrero Negro, especially if you stop along the way for groceries or to eat or get FMM. I would stay in San Felipe, get a fresh start in the morning. I believe a few hotels there are open, should check status before departure.
edit: Alphonsinas

[Edited on 6-12-2020 by bajaric]

AKgringo - 6-12-2020 at 08:29 AM

I remember from the first post by the author of this one, that they are starting their trip from Reno. If they decide to skip southern CA and travel down the east side of the Sierra Nevada range, spending a night in El Cento or Calexico would put them a few hours closer to Guerrero Negro.

ranpar01 - 6-12-2020 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I remember from the first post by the author of this one, that they are starting their trip from Reno. If they decide to skip southern CA and travel down the east side of the Sierra Nevada range, spending a night in El Cento or Calexico would put them a few hours closer to Guerrero Negro.

yep, I'm meeting my co-driver over Palomas tonight to discuss that very thing. We are definitely coming down 395 on the eastern side of Sierra. From there though it's a debate whether we go through Palm Springs and Salton Sea (staying the night in El Centro and crossing at Mexicali), or going down 215/15 skirting L.A. and San Diego (staying in La Mesa and crossing at Tecate). I'm leaning toward the Mexicali crossing since it's 45 minutes shorter overall (according to Google maps) but the main reason is the drive from El Centro to Guerro Negro is much shorter than the drive from La Mesa to GN. My original post about the two crossings got very mixed replies - about half thought Tecate was the way to go and half preferred Mexicali. This will be my first time driving (i usually fly into Cabo) so really appreciate all the replies I've gotten!

bajaric - 6-12-2020 at 10:15 AM

The main advantage to crossing at Tecate is when crossing northbound (or it was until the hours changed). Going south, if you are already in El Centro it would make no sense at all. From San Diego, the slight advantage of dodging the Mexicali traffic is more than offset by miles and miles of twisty, windy roads, including going down La Rumorosa. Jetting out the I-8 to Calexico is, if not faster, easier, even with the Mexicali traffic. Additionally, the crossing at Mexicali west has changed, and the route through town off the main drag and joins up with Hwy 5 south well south of downtown making for a nice experience.

Starting in Calexico it might be doable to make Guerrero Negro, six hours to Gonzaga, then the new highway is faster, but still a long slog. The Motel 6 in El Centro is not to be missed! Strange freeway truck stop vibe, ice machine down by the office, motel people hanging around....

KasloKid - 6-12-2020 at 10:21 AM

Knowing where you're starting from, and knowing this is your first time driving, Mexicali west crossing would be my choice with an overnight in San Felipe.
After crossing, immediately park on the left side. If you're pulled over for inspection, park on the left after inspection.
You'll walk back towards the border on the left side (east side) and get your FMM's there. If you can't find the door, ask where to get your "tourist visas".
It's 135 miles from the border to San Felipe with one stop for military inspection just past the Mex-5/Mex-3 junction.

Next day is an easy day to G Negro and if you find yourself arriving early, you can make the decision to push on to Santa Rosalia (134 miles), Mulege (172 miles) or Loreto (256 miles).

As most will say, it's highly recommended not to drive at night.

A gps is a handy tool to have, or at a minimum, download David K's maps. They're very accurate.

Driving in Mexico is a lot different than driving in the USA... do some research for road sign meanings etc.....

David K - 6-12-2020 at 10:42 AM

The Hotel La Huerta in San Ignacio is great... 90 miles beyond Guerrero Negro. It is 2 miles into the old part of town off the highway, and go just past the mission church.

bajafreaks - 6-12-2020 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
The main advantage to crossing at Tecate is when crossing northbound (or it was until the hours changed). Going south, if you are already in El Centro it would make no sense at all. From San Diego, the slight advantage of dodging the Mexicali traffic is more than offset by miles and miles of twisty, windy roads, including going down La Rumorosa. Jetting out the I-8 to Calexico is, if not faster, easier, even with the Mexicali traffic. Additionally, the crossing at Mexicali west has changed, and the route through town off the main drag and joins up with Hwy 5 south well south of downtown making for a nice experience.

Starting in Calexico it might be doable to make Guerrero Negro, six hours to Gonzaga, then the new highway is faster, but still a long slog. The Motel 6 in El Centro is not to be missed! Strange freeway truck stop vibe, ice machine down by the office, motel people hanging around....

Sent you a U2U.

JZ - 6-12-2020 at 02:23 PM

yep, I'm meeting my co-driver over Palomas tonight to discuss that very thing. We are definitely coming down 395 on the eastern side of Sierra. From there though it's a debate whether we go through Palm Springs and Salton Sea (staying the night in El Centro and crossing at Mexicali), or going down 215/15 skirting L.A. and San Diego (staying in La Mesa and crossing at Tecate). I'm leaning toward the Mexicali crossing since it's 45 minutes shorter overall (according to Google maps) but the main reason is the drive from El Centro to Guerro Negro is much shorter than the drive from La Mesa to GN. My original post about the two crossings got very mixed replies - about half thought Tecate was the way to go and half preferred Mexicali. This will be my first time driving (i usually fly into Cabo) so really appreciate all the replies I've gotten!

I live on the NW side of LA. We always go out towards Palm Springs, then cut down to Mexicali.

If we start in the afternoon after a day of work, will generally stay in El Centro. If we leave at noon or earlier, will go to San Felipe.

Trust me, Tecate is not the best route. Ppl like DK like it coming North through there because they don't have Sentri for whatever weird reason.

SFandH - 6-12-2020 at 02:35 PM

My original post about the two crossings got very mixed replies - about half thought Tecate was the way to go and half preferred Mexicali.

What you were seeing, I think, is 1/2 prefer to cross at Tecate and take highway 3 south to Ensenada and 1/2 prefer to cross at Mexicali and take highway 5 south through San Felipe.

Few people cross at Tecate and go through San Felipe. Some, but not many.

And then there are those who live near the beach near the border and cross at Tijuana.

[Edited on 6-12-2020 by SFandH]

ranpar01 - 6-12-2020 at 02:39 PM

My original post about the two crossings got very mixed replies - about half thought Tecate was the way to go and half preferred Mexicali.

What you were seeing, I think, is 1/2 prefer to cross at Tecate and take highway 3 south to Ensenada and 1/2 prefer to cross at Mexicali and take highway 5 south through San Felipe.

Few people cross at Tecate and go through San Felipe. Some, but not many.

And then there are those who live near the beach near the border and cross at Tijuana.

[Edited on 6-12-2020 by SFandH]

That makes a lot of sense!

David K - 6-12-2020 at 03:15 PM

It is very simple logic for us...

Tecate almost always has the shortest wait times going north and it is not out of the way to return through Tecate, for us.

Southbound, I use the border that makes the most sense based on the destination and that usually is not Tecate.

No, we don't have Sentri...
To us, the one to three trips a year doesn't justify the process/ cost, etc. While I went to Baja more in 2017 on 7 mapping/ road guide trips, since then I have only driven south once (in 2018). The other times (in 2019), I was a passenger (TV show trips). The one vacation trip in 2017 was with family, riding in the truck, so Sentri was useless then. One was a toddler in a child seat, so no unloading and asking them to walk across.

I think Sentri was designed for frequent-daily crossers (people who live on one side and work in the other) or have property in Baja they visit weekly or maybe monthly.

mtgoat666 - 6-12-2020 at 04:46 PM

I think Sentri was designed for frequent-daily crossers (people who live on one side and work in the other) or have property in Baja they visit weekly or maybe monthly.

Global Entry is for anyone who wants to avoid waiting in long lines at the end of a long day when we are tired and cranky.

Once you try it, you will never want to give it up!

Every time I use it is at the end of a long day traveling. After a long day traveling there is nothing more annoying than a long line at the airport or land border for immigration.

JZ - 6-12-2020 at 06:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Global Entry is for anyone who wants to avoid waiting in long lines at the end of a long day when we are tired and cranky.

Once you try it, you will never want to give it up!

Every time I use it is at the end of a long day traveling. After a long day traveling there is nothing more annoying than a long line at the airport or land border for immigration.

Walking by 75-100 ppl at a busy airport is rewarding.

Driving by 700-800 cars at the border is orgasmic.

[Edited on 6-13-2020 by JZ]

DIWR17 - 6-13-2020 at 07:52 AM

Just a thought on the FMM thing when driving in and out of BAJA.

For someone who has not done this trip, there is no mechanism to turn the bottom half of your FMM back in, when you cross back into the US. I honestly don't even know why I buy it online, before I head down every year. I never stop to get it stamped on the way down. I have never been asked for it anywhere or anytime, whilst I'm down there (15 years).

I got a police escort last week to the Sentri lanes at San Ysidro, by the local Policia, and wasn't asked for it even then.

David K - 6-13-2020 at 07:55 AM

The FMM is not valid if you don't stop at the border to get it stamped...

You do NOT have to return it (for a time you did, but that was changed years ago)... and it is good for other trips up to when it expires.

SFandH - 6-13-2020 at 08:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DIWR17  

For someone who has not done this trip, there is no mechanism to turn the bottom half of your FMM back in, when you cross back into the US. I honestly don't even know why I buy it online, before I head down every year. I never stop to get it stamped on the way down. I have never been asked for it anywhere or anytime, whilst I'm down there (15 years).

I got a police escort last week to the Sentri lanes at San Ysidro, by the local Policia, and wasn't asked for it even then.

It's an immigration thing, the police don't enforce it but immigration officials may. I've been asked for it twice over the years. Once at the border between BC and BCS and once at Playa Santispac south of Mulege. Immigration officials had driven down to Santispac from Santa Rosalia and were checking everybody in RVs. One guy that I know of had to drive back to the border and get one.

[Edited on 6-13-2020 by SFandH]

billklaser - 6-13-2020 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DIWR17  

It's an immigration thing, the police don't enforce it but immigration officials may. I've been asked for it twice over the years. Once at the border between BC and BCS and once at Playa Santispac south of Mulege. Immigration officials had driven down to Santispac from Santa Rosalia and were checking everybody in RVs. One guy that I know of had to drive back to the border and get one.

[Edited on 6-13-2020 by SFandH]

I have been checked twice in 33 years. However, there's never a problem until there's a problem.

Update from OP on this one

ranpar01 - 7-10-2020 at 03:22 PM

Thanks again to all for the advice, I'll do a trip report as well but wanted to post a quick update on this thread in case it gets searched later. There really aren't many options for lodging between San Felipe and GN, but there really is no need to stop either. With an early start making it from El Centro/Mexicali to GN was a breeze. I probably should have realized the Google map time estimate was high based on prior experience, but for whatever reason I was taking it at face value. It bases the drive time on the speed limit, which we exceeded by several KM nearly all the way. Total time, including paying import fees and getting FMM, was about 8 hours. We got really lucky and completed our crossing just before the super long COVID check points popped up (we crossed on June 27th). three days total from Reno: Reno to El Centro, El Centro to GN, then GN to Los Barriles.

bajafreaks - 7-10-2020 at 06:22 PM

GN to LB that's a long run...how long did it take you ?
We stop in Loreto simply because we love the town.
Glad you made it safe and sound.

PaulW - 7-10-2020 at 09:38 PM

Read
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94775

Quote: Originally posted by bajafreaks  

bajafreaks - 7-11-2020 at 06:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Read

I did READ the post but it didn't say how long it took from GN to LB that's simply why I asked.

David K - 7-11-2020 at 01:48 PM

Read

I did READ the post but it didn't say how long it took from GN to LB that's simply why I asked.

Per the Baja Almanac, it is 548 miles from Guerrero Negro to Los Barriles. The typical average speed on Hwy. 1 is 50 mph for autos and 40 for motor homes or towing. That would be a safe 11-hour-drive, likely it is done in less time but this does include stops for fuel, military checkpoints, lunch and when Nature calls!

ranpar01 - 7-15-2020 at 11:35 PM

Read

[/rquote

That was the longest day for sure, close to 12 hours but we stopped for a long lunch and also stopped for dinner in La Paz. It could have been done in 11 hours if we hadn’t stopped so often.