BajaNomad

LAX to San Felipe via Mexicali

RFClark - 6-12-2020 at 10:03 AM

Hi,

Yesterday we drove from Banning (LA area) to San Felipe where we have a house south of town.

Here’s what we found. The roads are open along with most business. (Bring your mask) Rest Rooms are in short supply. Mostly they are available at the Truck Stops. Gas is cheap in Calexico and at the Pilot Truck Stops.

The line to cross at Calexico West was very short. Yesterday evening the Mexican Customs Officials were waving everyone through. The U.S. return wait time was an hour with 5 regular Latin’s open.

There were no Mexicans with torches and pitchforks waiting along the side of the road. Traffic through Mexicali was lite. Most people were wearing masks while driving. Most everything was open.

Yesterday there were no health checkpoints all the way to San Felipe. The military checkpoint at the Ensenada turn off waved us through.

North of San Felipe the 2 gas stations were open 21.5 P/$ Regular about 17.79P/L some stores open but all the Gringo Places were closed at 20:00. Pete’s Camp has a new RV Park Sign. 50A and 30A Electrical hook ups.

Again the roads were not lined with Mexicans waving torches and pitchforks at us. The Gas Station was glad to get the business.

Lots of north bound truck traffic, The empties coming back from Los Cabos? Also south bound truck traffic.

Most everything in San Felipe was open with a mix of eat it here or take out only. All gas stations were open as were all 3 grocery stores we went by the two big ones were busy! Restaurants close at either 20:00 or 22:00. We got someone else’s pizza from Jack Rabbit Pizza at 20:00 they were closed.

South of town the road is finished all the way to HWY1 with no additional checkpoints and again no torches and pitchforks!

“Boldly Go Forth“ where few have gone recently! Next trip is to Los Cabos end of June.

David K - 6-12-2020 at 10:45 AM

Great report, thanks!

RFClark - 6-12-2020 at 11:02 AM

David,

The reality on the ground has no relationship to what some are reporting! You’d think that they want to keep the place to themselves!

A reminder to those coming back. Check the water in your batteries if you use those kind of batteries. Chlorinate your water tank. Run your taps to flush the pipes and refill the drain taps and charge your car batteries!

Our place came through fine. The IT stuff all worked for 2 months unattended. Now to charge batteries and chase pack rats! Next stop Todos Santos:bounce:

El Vergel - 8-12-2020 at 10:59 AM

Thanks for the excellent update.

JZ - 8-12-2020 at 11:09 AM

Great to hear.

Lee - 8-12-2020 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Great to hear.

Missed the date here? 2 months old.

Baja Western Onion is reporting Pescadero/Todos Santos is spiking -- I posted that 2 days ago.

AguaDulce - 8-12-2020 at 12:55 PM

I crossed Mexicali in July and non-eventful. I was asked for my FMM at the San felipe military checkpoint. Not by the military but by another govt. agency. They were surprised I had one. They took a photo of it. I asked the person if I did not have it, what would happen? He said a warning.