BajaNomad

Swimming with the Sea Lions of Los Islotes- La Paz

jamiec - 6-29-2020 at 12:49 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/travel/sea-lions-los-islo...

Great photography here.

JZ - 6-29-2020 at 01:19 PM

Shots from Los Islotes.

https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0?t=350

4x4abc - 6-29-2020 at 02:36 PM

much more exciting than swimming with the whale sharks

mtgoat666 - 6-29-2020 at 02:46 PM

watch out, they do occasionally bite

BajaNomad - 6-29-2020 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Try to not alarm the bulls, who will get you if you don't heed their warning with a first pass-by.... often with their teeth showing.

JZ - 6-29-2020 at 04:41 PM

I've been to sea lion spots dozens of times all over the SoC. But never had the ballz to swim with them.

How dangerous is it when proper care is taken?

[Edited on 6-29-2020 by JZ]

BajaParrothead - 6-29-2020 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

Try to not alarm the bulls, who will get you if you don't heed their warning with a first pass-by.... often with their teeth showing.

On a sailing trip past Islotes, we were snorkeling around the island when my significant other failed to recognize the bulls warnings and he jammed her in the ribs with his muzzle. LESSON LEARNED!

mtgoat666 - 6-29-2020 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
I've been to sea lion spots dozens of times all over the SoC. But never had the ballz to swim with them.

when i lived on the beach my dogs would occasionally chase the local sea lions, running along the shore barking, sometimes swimming after the sea lions. occasionally the sea lions nipped them from below when dogs were swimming, to show who was in charge. just nips, nothing too deep.
i have avoided swimming at the rookeries, it is their territory, you can see in their behavior that close human presence makes 'em nervous, and they got big teeth/mouths and are more agile/faster swimmers...

BajaNomad - 6-29-2020 at 04:59 PM

I'm uncertain if behavior is different in different places.

At Los Islotes, the advice I was given over 25 years ago still appears to be valuable advice for an excellent experience:
- Don't get up on the rocks where the colony is sunning themselves.
- If a bull comes by you in the water and bares his teeth, heed the warning and swim away.

I snorkeled with the sea lions at Los Islotes perhaps on six or more different occasions in various years... always heeding that advice. Had a couple of bulls approach me baring teeth (very intimidating), but never a problem other than being warned off by the bulls.

I found if I swam a little further away, many of the sea lions would still follow me around... and it was more off the "radar" of the bull(s).

fyi

[Edited on 6-30-2020 by BajaNomad]

AKgringo - 6-29-2020 at 06:12 PM

Twenty years ago, we went out with a German guide in Mulege to snorkel around some sea lions. I wouldn't call the rock a rookery, in fact I don't know if any bulls were around.

It was fun, and the few critters we met seemed friendly enough, but I would have appreciated a warning about bulls baring teeth!

I had encountered seals on more than a few occasions in the past while diving for abalone, but not sea lions!

4x4abc - 6-29-2020 at 06:30 PM

I am well aware of that - and they have only one aim. Your balls

4x4abc - 6-29-2020 at 06:34 PM

It can only be done at sites where the animals had exposure to tourists for many years. They have learned that we are not a threat. I would not be in the water anywhere else. They are lightning fast and dangerous.
Even with established sites there is a strict security protocol.
As soon as only one single male slips into the water - all tourists are out ASAP

HeyMulegeScott - 7-23-2020 at 09:32 AM

The pups can bite you too. I got a nip on my stomach and a guy in our group was bit in the shoulder. Enough to draw blood through a wetsuit. Our guide said the older they get the more they like to play rough.

BajaBlanca - 7-23-2020 at 11:11 AM

AKgringo - was Tomas your German tour guide?

AKgringo - 7-23-2020 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
AKgringo - was Tomas your German tour guide?

I don't remember, it was twenty years ago. He had a dive shop in town, who ever he was.

He did not go in the water with us, and thought I was nuts for rejecting the heavy wetsuit he provided, but even in January the water was much warmer than I was accustomed to.