BajaNomad

BC and BCS COVID-19 Active Cases

Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  15

JDCanuck - 12-21-2021 at 12:25 PM

Well, we all should check our own data anyway. When did politicians become so much more believable than they have always proved themselves to be? If they in turn heavily fund any news source...take it with a pound of salt. On the Covid issue, it really does appear Africa is leading the world in low case fatality rates, and also the closest to herd immunity a point that Scientists always previously stated would signal the end of any pandemic. Is this past surety suddenly false?
This is not conspiracy thinking, it's just applying logic to observed data.

JDCanuck - 12-21-2021 at 12:43 PM

The most concerning thing I have observed throughout this whole crisis is the suppression of any opposing views, and the politicians globally are presently pushing for full control of private sources of conversations under the guise of "misinformation". We've increasingly seen journalists and other people "disappeared", tortured, murdered and jailed in other countries simply for opposing what the leaders wanted to be fed to their populace.
This is the result we will have to live with after this crisis ends.

John Harper - 12-21-2021 at 04:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Notice the posters make personal attacks

Wait a minute. Aren't you the guy that denigrates most of us BN members as old, fat, out of shape, senile, as well as cigarette and alcohol dependent?

John

100X - 12-21-2021 at 05:17 PM

"What is most concerning is we are being told these reactions get worse with each repetitive jab"

JDCanuck, I respect and trust your posts--is this really the case? If so, it impacts my opinions.

JDCanuck - 12-21-2021 at 05:47 PM

100X. These are friends of mine that very willingly got 2nd and or 3rd jabs. The most recent was extremely bad in an older friend who needed the ambulance to be called after getting the third jab, while the first was no problem, the second had a few worse symptoms, the third was extreme. Other friends reported the first jab was fine but the second made them very ill. Myself and my family had 2 and none of us had bad reactions.
But yeah, I am a bit more unwillingly to continue to receive repetitive jabs myself.

JDCanuck - 12-21-2021 at 06:08 PM

100X. I'm in Canada so a third jab wouldn't even be available for me for some time. I am thinking...has the Pfizer jab changed to be stronger, is it a different composition than previous ones? Or is this reaction only occurring in a few people in one small part of the world for unknown reasons? Since no one wants to talk about the negative reactions other than to say "they are so few they are negligible" it does not make my personal decision any easier.

mtgoat666 - 12-21-2021 at 06:29 PM

The scientific literacy of nomads is abysmal

100X - 12-21-2021 at 06:36 PM

Our immune response often occurs only after a second exposure to something, such as to poison oak or a bee sting. The immune system reacts to the first exposure by working to "figure out" antibodies.

Some people never have a second exposure so they typically never realize they may be allergic (with poison oak, which does not have a separate toxic effect, allergic and non-allergic persons may never even realize they had a first exposure).

Some people have immune systems that "overreact" if there is a second exposure. This is an allergic reaction.

Some things, like poison oak, cause an allergic reaction in the vast majority of humans. Other things, like bee stings, cause allergic reactions to a far smaller percentage of us than poison oak (bee stings are additionally toxic to all of us, so we all know and react when stung).

That many people have a stronger reaction to their second Covid shot would seem to indicate our immune systems are getting involved. Does this rise to the level of an "allergic reaction" or is it something different? And what is indicated if so far limited observations of stronger reactions to additional booster shots turns out to be empirically shown?

I wish I knew the answer, and even more wish there were sources of information I trusted to be without bias. Both sides of this argument seem to focus on what supports their side but then completely ignore the good points made by the other side.

[Edited on 12-22-2021 by 100X]

gnukid - 12-21-2021 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Notice the posters make personal attacks

Wait a minute. Aren't you the guy that denigrates most of us BN members as old, fat, out of shape, senile, as well as cigarette and alcohol dependent?

John

I make the point that those characteristics, fat, out of shape, senile, as well as cigarette and alcohol dependent, are risks to health that should be of concern versus aggressive threats to attack, intimidate and control others.

The greatest risk to you is your personal behavior, and how you manage your health.

Influenza and colds have always existed and quite minor, normal events that are part of cellular cleansing. However, when people are at high risk due to existing poor health, usually associated to obesity, lack of exercise, poor diet, smoking, alcohol etc, those factors pose increased risk from influenza, especially when accompanied by pneumonia, fever, respiratory infection, excessive phlegm or fluid and difficulty breathing.

Therapuetics and protocols exist to treat influenza and colds at the first moment you feel symptoms and also preventively, such as hot soups, tea, broad vitamin supplements, multi-vitamins, B complex, C, D, Magnesium, Potasium, and Zinc in amounts appropriate to your weight and body. Antihishtmaine and a cough suppressant to break up congestion, fever reducer, and a variety of other prescription medicines that should be used with guidance from a doctor or nurse.

John Harper - 12-21-2021 at 07:14 PM

I make the point that those characteristics, fat, out of shape, senile, as well as cigarette and alcohol dependent, are risks to health that should be of concern versus aggressive threats to attack, intimidate and control others.

Being blind to science is a risk to your health as well.

You feel threatened somehow by what someone on an BN posts? I have yet to see any physical threat posted towards you. Nor even a minimal restriction to your "First Amendment" freedoms. Even though you have no "First Amendment" rights on a private forum. You've been given more latitude to spread lies than some of us to spread truth.

John

gnukid - 12-21-2021 at 07:18 PM

John, you accuse posters of lying without referencing any point or references to any sources while I have shared 1000's of peer reviewed studies.

If I share a sourced peer reviewed article it doesn't mean that O own it or am in 100% agreement, or that the points are valid forever, my primary point is that there has been an evolution from day one til now, we were misled by fraudulent group who colluded to cause harm, we are in psychological operation to create fear and drive economic, physical and mental harm.

No I'm not intimidated, I am concerned and intent on helping save lives of our community.

Good luck

[Edited on 12-22-2021 by gnukid]

100X - 12-21-2021 at 07:35 PM

I'm gonna start asking to see a CV

JZ - 12-21-2021 at 09:10 PM

Seems like we have reverted back to the Fall of 2020.

People have to stand in line for hours in NY to get Covid tests
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10330301/New-Yorker...

This administration which promised to "end Covid" is totally lost. Goat and I could manage this better if we worked together.

[Edited on 12-22-2021 by JZ]

JDCanuck - 12-22-2021 at 02:52 AM

More lockdowns and hospital operation cancellations just announced locally based on surging cases of Omicron. Hospital staff levels declining even further, closure of nursing schools and additional threats by government administration toward staff certainly did not help, who is going to replace all the nurses retiring in droves earlier than planned under these conditions?
Here are the latest case fatality trends. New Zealand Netherlands and Sweden continue to be leaders in reducing fatality ratios.

https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid

Purdyd - 12-22-2021 at 04:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 100X  
"What is most concerning is we are being told these reactions get worse with each repetitive jab"

JDCanuck, I respect and trust your posts--is this really the case? If so, it impacts my opinions.

My personal observation would be no.

The CDC says they are the same.

Quote:
During August 12–September 19, 2021, among 12,591 v-safe registrants who completed a health check-in survey after all 3 doses of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, 79.4% and 74.1% reported local or systemic reactions, respectively, after the third dose; 77.6% and 76.5% reported local or systemic reactions after the second dose, respectively.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7039e4.htm?s_cid=mm...

Quote:
Seems like we have reverted back to the Fall of 2020.

Well no we are way better off than we were a year ago.

What is frustrating is that people can’t put up with a minor inconvenience to protect other people. Masks.

Or that a bipartisan vaccine program spanning two very different presidents has ground to a halt with a fairly significant chunk of the population not vaccinated.

And while I respect one’s choice to die, there are consequences for the living, not the least of which is clogging up hospitals, and of course the loved ones you leave behind have this habit of trying to make sure it doesn’t happen to some one else.

So again, it is a case where people would rather risk lives of others than a make a personal sacrifice.

And yes, I think the math on risk reward of very young children for Covid vaccine seems rather high.

Which only makes it more important for adults to step up.

Skipjack Joe - 12-22-2021 at 06:10 AM

Influenza and colds have always existed and quite minor, normal events that are part of cellular cleansing.

Yet in the past you've stated that covid is not dangerous and that more people die from the flu than from covid.

Cellular cleansing? :lol::lol::lol: That's rich.

John Harper - 12-22-2021 at 08:07 AM

2 out of 3 monoclonal antibody therapies useless against Omicron.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/21/health/covid-monoclonal-a...

John

gnukid - 12-22-2021 at 08:16 AM

The epidemiological relevance of the COVID-19-vaccinated population is increasing

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00258-1/fulltext

PDF of article
https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2666-7762%2821...

High COVID-19 vaccination rates were expected to reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in populations by reducing the number of possible sources for transmission and thereby to reduce the burden of COVID-19 disease. Recent data, however, indicate that the epidemiological relevance of COVID-19 vaccinated individuals is increasing. In the UK it was described that secondary attack rates among household contacts exposed to fully vaccinated index cases was similar to household contacts exposed to unvaccinated index cases (25% for vaccinated vs 23% for unvaccinated). 12 of 31 infections in fully vaccinated household contacts (39%) arose from fully vaccinated epidemiologically linked index cases. Peak viral load did not differ by vaccination status or variant type [[1]]. In Germany, the rate of symptomatic COVID-19 cases among the fully vaccinated (“breakthrough infections”) is reported weekly since 21. July 2021 and was 16.9% at that time among patients of 60 years and older [[2]].

This proportion is increasing week by week and was 58.9% on 27. October 2021 (Figure 1) providing clear evidence of the increasing relevance of the fully vaccinated as a possible source of transmission. A similar situation was described for the UK. Between week 39 and 42, a total of 100.160 COVID-19 cases were reported among citizens of 60 years or older. 89.821 occurred among the fully vaccinated (89.7%), 3.395 among the unvaccinated (3.4%) [[3]]. One week before, the COVID-19 case rate per 100.000 was higher among the subgroup of the vaccinated compared to the subgroup of the unvaccinated in all age groups of 30 years or more. In Israel a nosocomial outbreak was reported involving 16 healthcare workers, 23 exposed patients and two family members. The source was a fully vaccinated COVID-19 patient. The vaccination rate was 96.2% among all exposed individuals (151 healthcare workers and 97 patients). Fourteen fully vaccinated patients became severely ill or died, the two unvaccinated patients developed mild disease [[4]]. The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) identifies four of the top five counties with the highest percentage of fully vaccinated population (99.9–84.3%) as “high” transmission counties [[5]]. Many decisionmakers assume that the vaccinated can be excluded as a source of transmission. It appears to be grossly negligent to ignore the vaccinated population as a possible and relevant source of transmission when deciding about public health control measures.

Vaccination rates and proportions of fully vaccinated people among symptomatic COVID-19 cases (≥ 60 years) in Germany between 21. July and 27. October 2021 based on the weekly reports from the Robert Koch-Institute [[2]].

gr1.jpg - 29kB

John Harper - 12-22-2021 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

This administration which promised to "end Covid" is totally lost.

And how many broken promises about Covid made by the previous administration? About a fantastic healthcare plan? About an infrastructure plan? About just about everything?

Methinks though doth protest too much.

John

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2021 at 09:14 AM

This administration which promised to "end Covid" is totally lost.

And how many broken promises about Covid made by the previous administration? About a fantastic healthcare plan? About an infrastructure plan? About just about everything?

Methinks though doth protest too much.

John

Johnny:
Ignore jizzy short stuff. He is complaining that biden did not solve covid, and simultaneously jizzy is supporting the antivax antimask anticommonsense solutions to public health problem. The gop complainers about biden covid solution are proposing an alt approach of do-nothing, let gramma die.

JZ - 12-22-2021 at 09:53 AM

NFL and NBA are done with Covid.

NFL this week said it will no longer test asymptomatic players and the head of the NBA says we need to plow on with life.

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2021 at 09:59 AM

NFL this week said it will no longer test asymptomatic players and the head of the NBA says we need to plow on with life.

Sounds like someone more focused on $$ than health and safety of employees and customers.
Rich guys (owners, players) can afford to test, take basic public health precautions.

JZ - 12-22-2021 at 12:40 PM

FDA approves pill to treat Covid. Sounds like it could be widely available within a month. Merck has one coming also.

https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cnbc.com/amp...

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2021 at 12:57 PM

FDA approves pill to treat Covid. Sounds like it could be widely available within a month. Merck has one coming also.

https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cnbc.com/amp...

Now, if only they could invent a pill that will cure stupidity, then we would not need a pill to cure covid!
Will the people that are rejecting vaccines and mask willingly take a pill? I bet oldkid wont!

JDCanuck - 12-22-2021 at 03:59 PM

2 out of 3 monoclonal antibody therapies useless against Omicron.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/21/health/covid-monoclonal-a...

John

Hi John: I couldn't access that article without registering with the paper. Which one of the three is more effective and in short supply, and which 2 are shown not to be effective? Would be good to have that info in advance in case it becomes necessary. I don't think many of us are going to avoid exposure to Omicron or a future variant.

Here are the most recent claims of the post exposure pill (not a monoclonal antibody) just approved by FDC:

Last week, Pfizer announced that Paxlovid reduces the risk of hospitalization or death by 89% if administered within three days of symptoms. Data also suggests that the pill will be effective against the new omicron variant. If given within five days, the pill still reduced the risk of severe reaction by 88%, up from an 85% efficacy rate reported in an interim analysis in November.

[Edited on 12-22-2021 by JDCanuck]

JDCanuck - 12-22-2021 at 05:43 PM

Hi Purdyd: Yes , thanks for that study from Sept data site. 3rd dose showed only a 3.24% increase in systemic reactions overall from dose 2. Much lower than the increases in systemic reactions between doses 1 and 2 previously separated out in descriptive tables. Almost impossible to get data on serious systemic reactions anyplace and all I find out there are extreme bias opinions.

Purdyd - 12-22-2021 at 05:48 PM

I can’t see how that is good for the players and I don’t understand why they would test anyone if they only test symptomatic players.

Might as well just let it go.

There is no doubt that the nfl is all about the money.

I notice the governor of Colorado has pretty much called it quits on mandates but is not banning them at local levels as I understand it.

And he has a good message.

Quote:
He added: "People who have gotten those three doses in our Colorado data, which is similar to the national data, are 47 times less likely to die than people that are unvaccinated. It essentially negates the risk. Nothing is risk-free in life, Chuck, but if you're boosted you can feel very confident that if you get COVID it'll be a minor case."

Quote:
Instead, the source said Polis pivoted to “individual responsibility” because he is a “very progressive libertarian,” adding the governor sees the latest surge as an occasion to “ask people to do the right for themselves and get vaccinated.”

“He sincerely sees a meaningful role for an appropriately limited government,” the source said.

Surely the best way to insure your freedom is to not abuse it. Doing the right thing for you, your family, and your country is not giving up your freedom.

Great news coming out on anti viral pills for treatment as already mentioned.

Also, it appears that South Africa may have already peaked. Suggesting perhaps it takes about a month to peak and decline with the new variant. Hope uk & USA follow that trend.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/22/africa/south-africa-omicron-p...

And new data out of the uk is suggesting the new variant has less risk of hospitalization.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/22/risk-of-hospit...

John Harper - 12-22-2021 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

Hi John: I couldn't access that article without registering with the paper. Which one of the three is more effective and in short supply, and which 2 are shown not to be effective?

The effective one (at this time!) is by GSK, sotrovimab. Eli Lilly and Regeneron "thumbs down" at this time.

Of course, this virus has been unpredictable. So, who knows. Maybe JZ and gnukid have all the answers. Eat more fruit? Breathe more? Troll endlessly?

John

[Edited on 12-23-2021 by John Harper]

100X - 12-22-2021 at 06:17 PM

Thank you, purdyd, with regard to the information on third shot reactions.

Does the data then mean that if you had a strong reaction to your second shot, you are likely to have a similar reaction to your third shot?

gnukid - 12-22-2021 at 06:33 PM

WHO Director on use of third shots

https://twitter.com/ArtValley818_/status/1473679943045468161

WHO Director.png - 341kB

[Edited on 12-23-2021 by gnukid]

surfhat - 12-22-2021 at 07:33 PM

A simple question to all Nomads who care about others here, and all over the world:

Why is a retired? librarian allowed to continue his campaign, and it is a relentless campaign, against vaccinations on a daily basis on our beloved Baja site?

Just asking.

Barry A. - 12-22-2021 at 07:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
A simple question to all Nomads who care about others here, and all over the world:

Why is a retired? librarian allowed to continue his campaign, and it is a relentless campaign, against vaccinations on a daily basis on our beloved Baja site?

Just asking.

It's not "vaccinations" generically, it's some of the Covid-19 vaccinations that are basically new and unproven and potentially incredibly dangerous!

[Edited on 12-23-2021 by Barry A.]

100X - 12-22-2021 at 07:47 PM

He has a right. We can chose if we read it.

He no doubt has good intentions and there may be kernels of wisdom in there somewhere. It is too bad he is not more concise, however.

There are many others here that take one side so strongly they do not hear anything else. They are entitled to their approach as well.

If we start censoring, then truth just depends on who gets to be the censor...

JDCanuck - 12-22-2021 at 08:56 PM

According to CDC, if you had a strong allergic reaction to shot 2 , you should not have a third shot, but switch to another type of vaccine for the third, like Janssen or Astrazenica, which are entirely different types.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/al...

"If You Had a Severe Allergic Reaction to a COVID-19 Vaccine

Anyone who has had a severe allergic reaction (for example, anaphylaxis) after receiving a particular type of COVID-19 vaccine should not get another dose of that type of vaccine. The vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna are considered one type (mRNA) of COVID-19 vaccine. The COVID-19 vaccine made by Johnson & Johnson/Janssen is considered another type (viral vector).

Learn about getting a different type of COVID-19 vaccine after an allergic reaction.

A severe allergic reaction can cause a rapid heartbeat, difficulty breathing, swelling of the throat, or a generalized rash or hives. A person with a severe allergic reaction needs to be treated with epinephrine (often given as an EpiPen®) and should seek immediate medical attention.

Learn about common side effects of COVID-19 vaccines and when to call a doctor."

Lee - 12-22-2021 at 09:36 PM

There are many others here that take one side so strongly they do not hear anything else. They are entitled to their approach as well.

You've been here 7 weeks and you're lecturing?

No one has a right to post false and inaccurate information. I stopped reading the garbage Paul posts here. It's conspiratorial with no merit. Possibly obsessive compulsive. Common troll.

BTW. Doug is the censor here. His truth is OK.

JDCanuck - 12-22-2021 at 09:56 PM

I'd much rather have too much information presented even if a lot of it is wrong than far too little. We are all adults and able to sieve through what information is provided and discard what we cannot accept.
Paul is the one that first pointed out several post exposure treatments through links he posted that I found very helpful. Can't disagree with the underlying messages to take other steps to increase our natural immunity either.

JDCanuck - 12-22-2021 at 10:12 PM

When we were given our first mRNA vaccines we were told we had attained 85% of full protection and when we had the second we were told we would have 94% protection ongoing and would now be finally allowed to visit family in other areas or friends in seniors homes. This has since proven to be overly ambitious. I think we should keep looking for even better protection for ourselves and our families, whether it is continuation on the repetitive booster path combined with post exposure treatment or some other novel approach to build immunity.

[Edited on 12-23-2021 by JDCanuck]

JZ - 12-22-2021 at 10:35 PM

I told my 3 kids today. Don't get the booster. They are all vaxxed. Two of them have had Covid already as well.

Wife and I got the booster. No way I want them to keep pumping shots into their bodies when they have a super, super, super low risk of getting serious illness. And now we know being vaxxed has marginal impact on stopping the spread of Covid.

There is less than zero chance I would let my 5 to 11 yo get the vaccine, even going back 6 months.

Never define yourself or choices by a single variable. We are pro-vax. But also pro-choice.

[Edited on 12-23-2021 by JZ]

100X - 12-23-2021 at 12:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

"You've been here 7 weeks and you're lecturing?"

I've been here (BN) a lot longer than 7 weeks, but only posting for 7 weeks.

My comments were in direct response to a specific question posed to all Nomads by another Nomad.

If my "lecturing" has struck a nerve, then perhaps my comments have some relevance to the way you interact with others.

[Edited on 12-23-2021 by 100X]

JDCanuck - 12-23-2021 at 06:42 AM

Jz: It's a tuff decision, do we add additional risk to our youngest to protect the most at risk elderly as they say we should be, or protect our children at the risk of the elderly? Maybe it's not that simple a choice and we can do both?
I place myself in the at-risk elderly side and would never expect my children to add risk to my grand children and great-grandchildren to give me a couple more years of declining health. Not my choice to make tho, that properly lies with the parents of the youngest.

JDCanuck - 12-23-2021 at 07:00 AM

My wife was a community health nurse who visited sick and more elderly patients at their homes. She would not consider returning to work under the conditions forced upon her recently. What used to be 1-20 to 30 min visit each week, has become 1 -10 min visit each 2-3 weeks, wearing face shield, glasses(often fogged due to cold weather and masks) and sometimes goggles as well.
When she misses that additional blemish that showed up on the patient that resulted in inflammation, amputation and eventually death, who is investigated for the ultimate outcome?
Lets be honest, these are the conditions that are driving nurses out

Purdyd - 12-23-2021 at 07:14 AM

WHO Director on use of third shots

https://twitter.com/ArtValley818_/status/1473679943045468161

[Edited on 12-23-2021 by gnukid]

Quote:
No, WHO’s Director-General Didn’t Say COVID Vaccines Are ‘Being Used To Kill Children’
A brief clip of a comment made by World Health Organization Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus misrepresented what he said.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/who-kill-children-covid-19...

Quote:
Ghebreyesus stated, “It’s better to focus on those [vulnerable] groups who have the risk of severe disease and death, rather than, as we see, some countries are using to give boosters to children, which is not right.” He stumbled over the word “children,” accidentally pronouncing the first syllable with a “k” sound before immediately correcting himself.

A WHO spokesperson told the BBC, “He repeated the same syllable, with it coming out ‘cil-children.’ Any other interpretation of this is 100% incorrect.”

BBC link

JDCanuck - 12-23-2021 at 07:22 AM

For the last 2 decades since the first SARS crisis we have allowed our politicians to reduce the number of actual nurses, hospital beds, and especially ICU's per capita until this latest epidemic surge was able to overwhelm what remained very easily. This despite the reports at that time that we would need at least 20 percent more ICU's if we ever saw a repeat.
I take huge offence when these same politicians now blame the unvaccinated young children for the crisis that has been created by their mismanagement.

David K - 12-23-2021 at 07:27 AM

I am one of the Johnson & Johnson shot receivers (last March). Not one issue with it.

Kaiser sent members an advisory email last week:

J&J vaccine – latest developments
After reviewing growing safety and efficacy data, the CDC has recommended mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) over J&J/Janssen. However, the J&J/Janssen vaccine is still a good option for those unable to receive the mRNA COVID vaccines and definitely preferred over no vaccine at all.

Members who received the J&J/Janssen vaccine are encouraged to receive a booster shot of an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) after two months to ensure maximum protection from COVID-19 and its variants.

I got the Moderna booster yesterday... :light:
If I suddenly stop posting, you will know why! LOL :lol:

Merry Christmas!

mtgoat666 - 12-23-2021 at 07:36 AM

I told my 3 kids today. Don't get the booster. They are all vaxxed. Two of them have had Covid already as well.

Wife and I got the booster. No way I want them to keep pumping shots into their bodies when they have a super, super, super low risk of getting serious illness. And now we know being vaxxed has marginal impact on stopping the spread of Covid.

There is less than zero chance I would let my 5 to 11 yo get the vaccine, even going back 6 months.

Never define yourself or choices by a single variable. We are pro-vax. But also pro-choice.

Shorty mcdumbstuff:
You are free to make bad decisions for your children, and you are free to offer bad advice to your children. You go, girl!

pauldavidmena - 12-23-2021 at 07:51 AM

This morning's NY Times had a number of helpful articles. Apologies if some are behind their pay wall.

Why Masks Work
What Omicron Symptoms Are
A Guide to Rapid-Test Accuracy
A Guide to Holiday Travel

mtgoat666 - 12-23-2021 at 01:18 PM

Data dont lie!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/12/23/us/omicron-ca...

Omicron Drives U.S. Virus Cases Past Delta’s Peak

The Omicron variant, which is now dominant in the United States and spreading faster than any variant yet, has already pushed daily coronavirus case counts higher than the peak of the recent Delta wave. By most estimates, the country is in for a significant winter surge.

Although there are early positive signs out of South Africa and Britain that Omicron infections more often result in mild illness than previous variants, officials are warning that the new variant could swiftly overtax the health care system and bring significant disease to many communities.
O
Omicron is spreading fast.

The highly transmissible variant is causing near-vertical case growth in multiple U.S. cities, with figures doubling about every two to three days. Officials expect it to break records. The all-time high for average daily cases was 251,232, set in January. By some estimates, the United States could reach one million cases a day, even before the end of the year.

[Edited on 12-23-2021 by mtgoat666]

JZ - 12-23-2021 at 02:54 PM

Omicron is going to help end the pandemic. Instead of panicking everyone, they should be talking up the fact that it causes less severe illness.

Biden got up and told the press that no one saw it coming. The head of the CDC says the next day that they were tracking it for two months.

The white house orders hundreds of millions of at home tests - to arrive after the holidays instead of before ppl travel to meet relatives.

These ppl couldn't fumble and bumble through this anymore if they tried.

Bajaboy - 12-23-2021 at 03:22 PM

Omicron is going to help end the pandemic.

Instead of panicking everyone, they should be talking up that it causes less severe illness.

Biden got up and told the press that no one saw it coming. The head if the CDC says the next day that they were tracking it for two months.

The white house orders hundred of millions of at home tests - to arrive after the holidays.

It will be over by Easter...probably only a few cases...sunshine should help

JDCanuck - 12-23-2021 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Data dont lie!
By some estimates, the United States could reach one million cases a day, even before the end of the year.

[Edited on 12-23-2021 by mtgoat666]

Interesting estimate and by doubling every 3 days where would that one million be by end of January? Thats the problem with predictions.

Purdyd - 12-23-2021 at 11:06 PM

Omicron is going to help end the pandemic. Instead of panicking everyone, they should be talking up the fact that it causes less severe illness.

Biden got up and told the press that no one saw it coming. The head of the CDC says the next day that they were tracking it for two months.

The white house orders hundreds of millions of at home tests - to arrive after the holidays instead of before ppl travel to meet relatives.

If getting omicron is the answer to getting out of the pandemic why are you so concerned with testing?

I think it would be hard for the cdc to track it for two months since it was only discovered a month ago.

And wasn’t announced as a variant of concern until November 30th.

Quote:
On November 24, 2021, South Africa reported the identification of a new SARS-CoV-2 variant, B.1.1.529, to the World Health Organization (WHO).

Quote:
On November 30, 2021, the SIG made the decision to classify the Omicron variant as a Variant of Concern (VOC).

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-br...

So about three weeks ago.

[Edited on 12-24-2021 by Purdyd]

JZ - 12-23-2021 at 11:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Purdyd  

... why are you so concerned with testing?

Ppl want to get tested before visiting elderly relatives for the holidays. Or ppl need to show a negative test before going back to work after traveling, etc.. Why is this so hard to understand?

The lines in NY are 2+ hour waits. All across the US the shelves lack the inexpensive at home tests. Our local CVS included, where I heard 6 ppl ask for them while standing in line.

The manufacturer of the tests (Abbott) says they slowed down production in August because they couldn't get a straight answer from the govt.

In Dec of 2020 Biden said it was totally unacceptable for the US to be so lacking in Covid tests. He had a year to solve the problem and failed miserably. He now says "no one" saw the variant coming, when Fauci and the CDC lady totally contradict him. The ex-head of the CDC predicted in August on national TV that a much more transmissible variant would likely emerge in the next 2-4 months.

The American ppl are being treated very badly.

[Edited on 12-24-2021 by JZ]

JDCanuck - 12-24-2021 at 08:41 AM

As demand for testing explodes and more and more cases are becoming identified, the case fatality rates are plummeting. Actual Infection Fatality Rate and identified Case Fatality Rates differential is narrowing, giving us a far better idea of the danger of being exposed to this latest (apparently weaker) variant.
This puts the risk/reward ratio for vaccinating infants in a new light and also repetitive boosters. Our health region continues to limit the amount of people being tested and self testing is not readily available, so our case fatality rate remains well above the actual infection fatality rate. CFR presently is still well under 1% despite this.
It also appears as if the number of people with naturally acquired antibodies protecting them from the Omicron strain globally is considerably higher than previously thought.

[Edited on 12-24-2021 by JDCanuck]

JDCanuck - 12-24-2021 at 10:35 AM

I am posting this chart again so we can track which countries are doing best (or worst) in managing this virus. I have added Netherlands, Canada and Mexico to the base chart. Netherlands and Sweden show the best improvements, while Mexico shows very little improvement. While in Mexico, additional caution is definitely required as their CFR remains extremely high. If you are travelling there it would be wise to take your own treatment supplies with you. (Oxygen and any other post exposure treatments you trust) In addition, if you can't pick up a rapid test, the PCR tests are very cheap at most airports with fairly quick results. La Paz airport cost was about 75 dollars USD and results came back in less than 48 hours.
https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid

[Edited on 12-24-2021 by JDCanuck]

surabi - 12-24-2021 at 11:42 AM

The lines in NY are 2+ hour waits. All across the US the shelves lack the inexpensive at home tests. Our local CVS included, where I heard 6 ppl ask for them while standing in line.

There's a shortage of tests because those who refuse to get vaccinated are required to get regularly tested in order to go to their workplace. You love to put the blame where it doesn't belong.

JDCanuck - 12-24-2021 at 12:47 PM

Recent mass purchases by governments have caused online suppliers to pull online sales of rapid tests. I'm surprised if there are any left anyplace in pharmacies, Walmart or others. They just can't keep manufacturing these fast enough at present. Here is the recent info on the free tests availability after the 500 million priority order placed by US gov't:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-get-free-rapid-covid-...

Here in Canada, where we have higher levels of vaccinated people, 90 percent of positive tests were Omicron and over ten percent of the tests were coming back positive, in vaccinated and non vaccinated people combined.

Purdyd - 12-24-2021 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Purdyd  

... why are you so concerned with testing?

Ppl want to get tested before visiting elderly relatives for the holidays. Or ppl need to show a negative test before going back to work after traveling, etc.. Why is this so hard to understand?

The manufacturer of the tests (Abbott) says they slowed down production in August because they couldn't get a straight answer from the govt.

In Dec of 2020 Biden said it was totally unacceptable for the US to be so lacking in Covid tests. He had a year to solve the problem and failed miserably. He now says "no one" saw the variant coming, when Fauci and the CDC lady totally contradict him. The ex-head of the CDC predicted in August on national TV that a much more transmissible variant would likely emerge in the next 2-4 months.

The American ppl are being treated very badly.

The testing issue stretches all the way back to the previous administration and has continued as the empasis was and is, vaccines.

Quote:
But the roots of this shortage actually stretch back to the beginning of the pandemic, when the White House prioritized developing vaccines over tests. The Trump administration invested heavily in developing new vaccines through Operation Warp Speed, and the Biden administration’s pandemic strategy has largely focused on distributing those vaccines throughout the country.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2021/12/21/22848286/omicron-rapid-test-covid-19-antigen

Scientists are always saying that something bad is coming. I think it would be a stretch to say anyone was predicting omicron’s rate of spread 4 months ago.

I have no idea what your are talking about with regards to Dr. Fauci or Dr. Walensky contradicting President Biden.

If I am confused I am wondering if as you stated Omicron is the solution why testing matters.

Didn’t you just post a link about how the NFL was reducing testing?

I presumed you thought that was a good idea?

And of course the real reason there is such an explosion in demand for tests is there is an explosion in the number of cases.

Everything is backed up including labs. Not the first time we’ve seen this. Not unique to this administration.

And I fear you are as guilty as those you accuse of listening to only main steam media or msm, and rooting for the Covid virus.

Not everything the Biden administration does is evil just as the same could be said for the Trump administration.

Barry A. - 12-24-2021 at 06:14 PM

"I have no idea what you're talking about with regards to Dr. Fauci or Dr. Walensky contradicting President Biden."

Then you have not been listening closely. Biden said, "nobody knew this was coming" and Fauci and Wallensky both said, "we've known for months that this, or something like it, was coming". I watched all 3 individuals actually say these things on News broadcasts. It's not a biggie, but we should try and get things right. (-:

JDCanuck - 12-24-2021 at 10:52 PM

Barry: I'm interested. How have you prepared for the surge of breakthroughs that is coming upon us? If predictions are accurate hospital care will be hard to come by and we have to prepare for the alternative of home treatment. Especially as there are fewer and fewer available hospital staff at the same time.

JZ - 12-25-2021 at 12:02 AM

Barry: I'm interested. How have you prepared for the surge of breakthroughs that is coming upon us? If predictions are accurate hospital care will be hard to come by and we have to prepare for the alternative of home treatment. Especially as there are fewer and fewer available hospital staff at the same time.

Omicron, while more contagious, isn't as severe.

Cases will go way up. But hospitalizations won't.

mtgoat666 - 12-25-2021 at 06:08 AM

Go ahead and be cavalier… things will be fine…

until the next variant comes along.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Merry xmas, suckers.

David K - 12-25-2021 at 08:47 AM

Merry Christmas Mr. Goat, baaaaa haaa humbug

JDCanuck - 12-25-2021 at 09:12 AM

Thankfully, so far the drastic increase in daily cases here from Omicron (more than double the old highs) have actually led to declining hospitalized people, especially in ICU's. It's still early tho, and all scheduled hospital surgeries have been cancelled as of Jan 4. The leaders remain convinced that at some point the hospitalizations will increase and they are shutting down other hospital services at an alarming rate just in case like they did in March of 2020.

I'd like to join the list of Merry Christmas wishers. This is the first time ever we have celebrated alone with no family visiting but thankfully can do face time with them. Merry Chistmas y'all!

[Edited on 12-25-2021 by JDCanuck]

mtgoat666 - 12-25-2021 at 09:24 AM

Thankfully, so far the drastic increase in daily cases here from Omicron (more than double the old highs) have actually led to declining hospitalized people, especially in ICU's. It's still early tho, and all scheduled hospital surgeries have been cancelled as of Jan 4. The leaders remain convinced that at some point the hospitalizations will increase and they are shutting down other hospital services at an alarming rate just in case like they did in March of 2020.

The anti-science, anti-vax crowd is desperately hoping for omicron to be benign nothing burger.
Omicron is not the last variant, the unvaccinated will see increasing death rate again soon.

I hope the unvax get a few more months of life from the temporary omicron reprieve.

Merry xmas!

JDCanuck - 12-25-2021 at 10:55 AM

Here is the latest Science reporting regarding the Omicron ability to evade vaccinations or previous recoveries from infection:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/omicron-coronavirus-covi...

"For example, among people vaccinated with two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine made by Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech, levels of immune proteins called neutralizing antibodies that stop the virus from infecting new cells were 41 times lower compared with antibodies against an older version of the virus that rose to prevalence in mid-2020, researchers report in a preliminary study posted December 11 at medRix.org. Previously infected people who have been vaccinated, on the other hand, have a leg up (SN: 8/19/21). The study showed that antibody levels against omicron were lower in people who had received two doses of Pfizer’s shot than in similarly vaccinated individuals who had recovered from a previous infection."

and more further down on booster effectiveness

"The findings are similar to early estimates out of the United Kingdom, which show Pfizer’s two-dose shot is around 30 percent effective against symptoms. A booster dose increased the effectiveness to between 70 percent to 75 percent, according to data from Public Health England. Still, there’s a lot of uncertainty because those findings are based on low numbers of cases. As time passes and more people get infected, researchers will get better estimates."

[Edited on 12-25-2021 by JDCanuck]

JZ - 12-25-2021 at 11:50 AM

Here is the latest Science reporting regarding the Omicron ability to evade vaccinations or previous recoveries from infection:

"For example, among people vaccinated with two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine made by Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech, levels of immune proteins called neutralizing antibodies that stop the virus from infecting new cells were 41 times lower compared with antibodies against an older version of the virus that rose to prevalence in mid-2020, researchers report in a preliminary study posted December 11 at medRix.org. Previously infected people who have been vaccinated, on the other hand, have a leg up (SN: 8/19/21). The study showed that antibody levels against omicron were lower in people who had received two doses of Pfizer’s shot than in similarly vaccinated individuals who had recovered from a previous infection."

The value of having natural immunity has been criminally down played by many of the so-called scientists.

[Edited on 12-25-2021 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 12-25-2021 at 01:37 PM

The value of having natural immunity has been criminally down played by all the so-called scientists.

The only people that are naturally immune are the dead.

JDCanuck - 12-25-2021 at 05:35 PM

I wonder if they liked my choice of restaurants, likely not.
https://nypost.com/2021/12/25/canada-secretly-tracked-33-mil...

JDCanuck - 12-26-2021 at 09:45 AM

With this sudden unusually heavy snowfall and plunge in temperatures, we have almost everyone showing the Omicron mild symptoms (sniffling) and since no one is able to drive the roads, we also have very little travel or shopping. Nature once again forces a remedial change on an increasingly reluctant and worn out populace. Will be interesting to see how this affects local data.

JDCanuck - 12-26-2021 at 01:03 PM

With Omicron, and the extremely high number of asymptomatic or mild symptoms only breakthroughs in fully and booster vaccinated people, (80%+) this particular strain is highly likely to spread extremely rapidly until actual herd immunity is reached. Increasing breakouts in medical facilities where no one without a full vaccination passport has been allowed in for months now is clearly showing this is no longer an unvaccinated spread issue. We are still told tho that your best protection from major symptoms when you are exposed is to have a very recent booster shot, if it's available in your area. Africa was denied this, so they are approaching herd immunity without vaccines.

BajaMama - 12-26-2021 at 06:01 PM

The value of having natural immunity has been criminally down played by many of the so-called scientists.

I have to agree with you - I have done a lot of searches and there just isn't a lot of evidence that people get infected more than once. Scientists speculate those who test positive again after a long period of negative tests may just be harboring the virus - never fully recovered. There are so few cases of being infected twice that there just isn't enough data to be conclusive that prove you don't have immunity if you have had covid once.

JDCanuck - 12-26-2021 at 06:33 PM

Mexico not following the trend in Omicron...why?

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/as-omicron-take...

The emergence of the omicron variant of the coronavirus hasn’t caused a spike in reported case numbers in Mexico, as has occurred in numerous other countries.

The Health Ministry reported 52,528 confirmed cases in the first 22 days of December for a daily average of 2,387. That’s an 11% decline compared to the daily average in November.

Another of the countries that was late getting vaccines and developed a very high percentage of people carrying naturally induced immune response early on

JDCanuck - 12-26-2021 at 07:08 PM

When I left La Paz in late October they were at Level 1 (Green) but masks and temperature checks were required at all big stores on entry. Masks indoors elesehwere and social distancing and masks in Uber or cabs. Other than that, people were living a pretty normal enjoyable life, Ballandra beach was crowded and the weekend night life had exploded again. On My return to Canada, it was lock down after lock down and we are the ones now surging in identified cases, while La Paz new cases are still declining, even with Omicron.

And here is the latest from South Africa 3 days ago:

https://www.the-sun.com/health/4334548/omicron-gone-south-af...

EXPERTS predict Omicron will have fizzled out in South Africa within weeks in a huge boost to morale in the UK.

Infections have spiralled in the past week and admissions failed to reach expected levels, as hospitals “never reached capacity”.

JZ - 12-27-2021 at 12:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

I have to agree with you - I have done a lot of searches and there just isn't a lot of evidence that people get infected more than once. Scientists speculate those who test positive again after a long period of negative tests may just be harboring the virus - never fully recovered. There are so few cases of being infected twice that there just isn't enough data to be conclusive that prove you don't have immunity if you have had covid once.

I don't know how much of a difference natural immunity makes. But it obviously helps.

What is troubling is between the CDC and NIH they have roughly a $60 billion/year budget.

And neither has pursued or produced studies on natural immunity. And they don't bother to even discuss it.

That is pretty concerning.

BajaMama - 12-27-2021 at 06:35 AM

I don't know how much of a difference natural immunity makes. But it obviously helps.

What is troubling is between the CDC and NIH they have roughly a $60 billion/year budget.

And neither has pursued or produced studies on natural immunity. And they don't bother to even discuss it.

I'm not concerned about doing studies - facts are facts. What concerns me is that the US (not Europe) counts people who have had previous infections as still vulnerable to the virus - unvaxed if you will. But in reality 52 million people in the US have had covid and shouldn't need to get vaccinated. If you count those 52 million we are getting to a place where the virus has no where else to go. The next variant will likely be more contagious and less virulent than Omicron and hopefully this pandemic will be over. Two years is the normal course, we are almost there, yippee.

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2021 at 07:06 AM

I'm not concerned about doing studies - facts are facts. What concerns me is that the US (not Europe) counts people who have had previous infections as still vulnerable to the virus - unvaxed if you will. But in reality 52 million people in the US have had covid and shouldn't need to get vaccinated. If you count those 52 million we are getting to a place where the virus has no where else to go. The next variant will likely be more contagious and less virulent than Omicron and hopefully this pandemic will be over. Two years is the normal course, we are almost there, yippee.

For shorty and bajamom:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseas...

That was literally 10 seconds of googling to find summary of studies re natural vs vaccine immunity.

gnukid - 12-27-2021 at 07:23 AM

Not only are previously infected and recovered considered vulnerable, inexplicably, so are previously jabbed for a number of weeks after the shot and again after a few months, so, today, if you have been jabbed twice and go again for another shot, you are considered unvaxxed for two weeks officially, so if you become ill immediately you are labeled unvaxxed and again after a few months depending on the shot and region you are in, you are unvaxxed again after a few months, magically. Currently in Israel you must have 4 jabs to be considered vaxxed while clearly there is low efficacy and high risks?

What does that mean about the efficacy of the jabs? Or the viability of the statistics?

One thing is clear the jabs are not effective and are risky, from hyper propagation of spike proteins that cause thrombosis, clotting, heart inflammation, injuries and death etc.

There is something very concerning about the disconnect from health agencies and hospitals lack of focus on preventative health and therapeutics for treatment of cold and flu like infections and insistance on continuous jabs as the only route?

For example, health comes from exercise, fresh air, sunshine, social interaction, diet, complete nutrition, vitamin supplements, B, C, D, Magnesium, Selenium, Zinc etc while flu like illness benefits from medicines that are shown to help like Ivermectin, Hydroxylchlorine, Monoclonal antibodies and other medicine to reduce congestion and ease symptoms for faster recovery.

Furthermore, there is no such thing as asymptomatic illness, that is absurd. A diagnosis with proof of a relationship between demonstrable symptoms and a virus as the cause is lacking.

Yet the grim predictions continue based on forecasts and models not on reality.

CDC issues grim forecast warning that weekly COVID cases will jump by 55% to 1.3 MILLION by Christmas Day and that deaths will surge by 73% to 15,600 a week as Omicron becomes dominant strain
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-10314687/CDC-issu...

[Edited on 12-27-2021 by gnukid]

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2021 at 07:52 AM

Not only are previously infected and recovered considered vulnerable, inexplicably, so are previously jabbed for a number of weeks after the shot and again after a few months, so, today, if you have been jabbed twice and go again for another shot, you are considered unvaxxed for two weeks officially, so if you become ill immediately you are labeled unvaxxed and again after a few months depending on the shot and region you are in, you are unvaxxed again after a few months, magically. Currently in Israel you must have 4 jabs to be considered vaxxed while clearly there is low efficacy and high risks?

What does that mean about the efficacy of the jabs? Or the viability of the statistics?

One thing is clear the jabs are not effective and are risky, from hyper propagation of spike proteins that cause thrombosis, clotting, heart inflammation, injuries and death etc.

There is something very concerning about the disconnect from health agencies and hospitals lack of focus on preventative health and therapeutics for treatment of cold and flu like infections and insistance on continuous jabs as the only route?

For example, health comes from exercise, fresh air, sunshine, social interaction, diet, complete nutrition, vitamin supplements, B, C, D, Magnesium, Selenium, Zinc etc while flu like illness benefits from medicines that are shown to help like Ivermectin, Hydroxylchlorine, Monoclonal antibodies and other medicine to reduce congestion and ease symptoms for faster recovery.

Furthermore, there is no such thing as asymptomatic illness, that is absurd. A diagnosis with proof of a relationship between demonstrable symptoms and a virus as the cause is lacking.

Yet the grim predictions continue based on forecasts and models not on reality.

CDC issues grim forecast warning that weekly COVID cases will jump by 55% to 1.3 MILLION by Christmas Day and that deaths will surge by 73% to 15,600 a week as Omicron becomes dominant strain
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-10314687/CDC-issu...

[Edited on 12-27-2021 by gnukid]

Ivermectin? You are a fool!
Hydrochlorine? You cant even spell your quackery right!

gnukid - 12-27-2021 at 08:02 AM

This article explains exactly what the spike protein does to cause OXIDATIVE STRESS to disease the cell and organs in the human body.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acsomega.0c02125

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2021 at 08:10 AM

This article explains exactly what the spike protein does to cause OXIDATIVE STRESS to disease the cell and organs in the human body.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acsomega.0c02125

Oldkid:
No one is going to listen to you, you peddle horse dewormer quackery as covid cure!

BajaMama - 12-27-2021 at 06:19 PM

Responding to Mr. MTGoat:

For shorty and bajamom:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseas...

That was literally 10 seconds of googling to find summary of studies re natural vs vaccine immunity.

[/rquote]

I hear what you are saying, and I read the article. As with my other research, there is very little evidence of getting a second covid infection if you have already been infected - all documented cases of re-infection are potentially infections that reappeared because the virus was never fully cleared. Your article says immunity/protection after infection is increased by a vaccination, however it does not mention much about data on re-infection. THAT is what I was searching for and did not find. But please, I would love to read some stats and facts about re-infections.

[Edited on 12-28-2021 by BajaMama]

Edited: I did find this article - first one with any information. But of course they do make em big in MN, not the healthiest population. https://www.health.state.mn.us/news/pressrel/2021/mediaadv11...

surabi - 12-27-2021 at 07:13 PM

Your article says immunity/protection after infection is increased by a vaccination, however it does not mention much about data on re-infection. THAT is what I was searching for and did not find. But please, I would love to read some stats and facts about re-infections.

Here's a couple.

https://www.wpr.org/epic-systems-unvaccinated-44-percent-mor...

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/reinfection-ra...

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2021 at 08:18 PM

Talk of banning the unvaccinated from commercial air travel. Sounds like a good idea! Need to persuade the nincompoops to get the vaccine, every little incentive helps!

JZ - 12-27-2021 at 08:49 PM

Talk of banning the unvaccinated from commercial air travel. Sounds like a good idea! Need to persuade the nincompoops to get the vaccine, every little incentive helps!

As much as you want Fauci to control every part of your life this one isn't happening. The US public is at its breaking point with Biden and he knows it.

They have already rolled back the quarantine time from 10 to 5 days (funny how the so-called "science" changes).

To your dismay, Covid is coming to an end after Omicron blows through, and you'll finally have to come out of the basement.

All you'll have left is your ability to call every non-woke person a racist.

[Edited on 12-28-2021 by JZ]

Bajaboy - 12-27-2021 at 08:58 PM

As much as you want Fauci to control every part of your life this one isn't happening. The US public is at its breaking point with Biden and he knows it.

They have already rolled back the quarantine time from 10 to 5 days (funny how the so-called "science" changes).

To your dismay, Covid is coming to an end after Omicron blows through, and you'll finally have to come out of the basement.

Just...shut...up....

please go back and read some of your posts...bumbling, ranting, nonsense

gnukid - 12-27-2021 at 08:59 PM

A couple interesting studies about supplements C, magnesium, Selenium, Zinc

Benefits of magnesium to the heart and whole body
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal...

Magnesium has been proven to prevent and protect against blood clotting
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12774935/

Study showing Magnesium’s Protection again blood clotting, particularly pulmonary (lung) thromboembolism.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350399391_Increased... lowered_peripheral_oxygen_saturation

Vitamin C mitigates oxidative stress and tumor necrosis factor-alpha in severe community-acquired pneumonia and LPS-induced macrophages
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25253919/

Magnesium and C-reactive protein in heart failure: an anti-inflammatory effect of magnesium administration?
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17479208/

Severe hypomagnesemia and low-grade inflammation in metabolic syndrome (low level of magnesium increases risk of cancer)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21609903/

(Supplementing 200mcg of Selenium Daily will promote the liver to increase levels of disease protecting Glutathione to be produced.)
Protective Effect of Glutathione against Oxidative Stress-induced Cytotoxicity in RAW 264.7 Macrophages through Activating the Nuclear Factor Erythroid 2-Related Factor-2/Heme Oxygenase-1 Pathway
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30939721/

Summary: vitamin C, Selenium, Magnesium, Zinc are helpful to health in appropriate doses everyday

[Edited on 12-28-2021 by gnukid]

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2021 at 09:03 PM

A couple interesting studies about supplements C, magnesium, Selenium, Zinc

Benefits of magnesium to the heart and whole body
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal...

Magnesium has been proven to prevent and protect against blood clotting
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12774935/

Study showing Magnesium’s Protection again blood clotting, particularly pulmonary (lung) thromboembolism.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350399391_Increased... converting_enzyme_2_sRAGE_and_immune_activation_but_lowered_calcium_ and_magnesiu m_in_COVID-19_association_with_chest_CT_abnormalities_and_ lowered_peripheral_oxygen_saturation

Vitamin C mitigates oxidative stress and tumor necrosis factor-alpha in severe community-acquired pneumonia and LPS-induced macrophages
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25253919/

Magnesium and C-reactive protein in heart failure: an anti-inflammatory effect of magnesium administration?
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17479208/

Severe hypomagnesemia and low-grade inflammation in metabolic syndrome (low level of magnesium increases risk of cancer)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21609903/

(Supplementing 200mcg of Selenium Daily will promote the liver to increase levels of disease protecting Glutathione to be produced.)
Protective Effect of Glutathione against Oxidative Stress-induced Cytotoxicity in RAW 264.7 Macrophages through Activating the Nuclear Factor Erythroid 2-Related Factor-2/Heme Oxygenase-1 Pathway
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30939721/

Summary: vitamin C, Selenium, Magnesium, Zinc are helpful to health in appropriate doses everyday

This coming from you, paul, right after you recommended horse dewormer for covid cure. :lol::lol::lol::no::lol::no:

gnukid - 12-27-2021 at 09:51 PM

Ivermectin for COVID-19: real-time meta analysis of 71 studies

https://ivmmeta.com

•Statistically significant improvements are seen for mortality, ventilation, ICU admission, hospitalization, recovery, cases, and viral clearance. All remain significant after exclusions. 47 studies from 43 independent teams in 19 different countries show statistically significant improvements in isolation (36 primary outcome, 33 most serious outcome).

•Meta analysis using the most serious outcome shows 66% [53‑76%] and 83% [74‑89%] improvement for early treatment and prophylaxis, with similar results after exclusion based sensitivity analysis (excluding all GMK/BBC team studies), for primary outcomes, for peer-reviewed studies, and for RCTs.

•Results are very robust — in worst case exclusion sensitivity analysis 57 of 71 studies must be excluded to avoid finding statistically significant efficacy.

•While many treatments have some level of efficacy, they do not replace vaccines and other measures to avoid infection. Only 25% of ivermectin studies show zero events in the treatment arm.
•Multiple treatments are typically used in combination, which may be significantly more effective.

•Elimination of COVID-19 is a race against viral evolution. No treatment, vaccine, or intervention is 100% available and effective for all variants. All practical, effective, and safe means should be used, including treatments, as supported by Pfizer [Pfizer, TrialSiteNews]. Denying the efficacy of treatments increases the risk of COVID-19 becoming endemic; and increases mortality, morbidity, and collateral damage.

BajaMama - 12-28-2021 at 05:39 AM

Looks like the science is in...get vaccinated even if you have already been infected. When I read the NYT covid stats, it amazes me how many of those who are sick, hospitalized and dead are unvaccinated.

pacificobob - 12-28-2021 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Just...shut...up....

please go back and read some of your posts...bumbling, ranting, nonsense

X2 👍

JDCanuck - 12-28-2021 at 08:37 AM

Extreme cold spell reducing travel on West Coast seems to have had a positive effect on spread of Omicron virus and increased hospitalizations remain under expectations. Isolation periods if testing positive also reduced.
Happier New Year ahead.

JDCanuck - 12-28-2021 at 08:48 AM

More encouraging news on Omicron out of South Africa, small study indicates Omicron exposure may reduce risk to Delta:

https://www.livemint.com/science/health/omicron-may-reduce-d...

"Infection with the omicron coronavirus variant can also strengthen immunity against the earlier Delta strain, reducing the risk of severe disease, according to a paper released by South African scientists"
While omicron has been shown to be highly transmissible and can evade some antibodies, after two weeks of getting symptoms immunity to subsequent infections from the strain rose 14-fold, according to the authors led by Alex Sigal and Khadija Khan of the Durban, South Africa-based Africa Health Research Institute. A smaller improvement was found against delta, they said. "

[Edited on 12-28-2021 by JDCanuck]

JDCanuck - 12-28-2021 at 09:13 AM

Weakened strains have been used to create traditional vaccines (Polio) in the past:

https://www.uu.nl/en/news/using-weakened-coronavirus-strains...

Linking virus genetic material to symptoms

Where the discovery of a weakened polio virus was a fortunate accident, current technologies make it possible to deliberately search for an attenuated strain. As far as the scientists know, only part of the pathogen’s genetic material has been examined so far, and those genes have not been linked to the patients’ pathologies. They therefore recommend identifying the genome of the virus variants in patients who show only mild symptoms. The weaker viruses found in this way can then be attenuated further (if necessary) and used for the production of vaccines.

Research into suitable milder variants should mainly focus on infections among risk groups. If the patients have managed to survive the infection without major problems, and if the divergent signature of the virus can be identified, then the next step towards a possible vaccine is simply one of technology and careful testing. The virus can then provide its own vaccine, as was the case with polio. Deliberately infecting people with a mild variant stops the advance of the harmful virus strains by means of a ‘scorched earth’ strategy and helps to build group immunity. The limited risks of working with an attenuated virus will require careful monitoring, however, as is currently the case with the vaccines for mumps, measles and rubella.

100X - 12-28-2021 at 09:45 AM

JDCanuck, thank you for the objective and polite approach to this discussion--and for noting the recent and potentially positive news. Hopefully things do get better in the new year, for all.

mtgoat666 - 12-28-2021 at 09:11 PM

Reports that 2 of 3 monoclonal antibody treatments dont work on omicron variant…
Gnukid, shorty and fellow florida man gonna have to rely on horse dewormer :P

Ateo - 12-29-2021 at 10:22 PM

We doubled our daily record here in the USA today!

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Bajaboy - 12-29-2021 at 10:55 PM

I've heard of 7 cases here in Bahia Asuncion. Vizcaino is supposed to be very bad...who knows. Sounds like schools are going back to virtual and there will be some restrictions in the near future.

JDCanuck - 12-30-2021 at 12:09 AM

South Africa Omicron total cases, case fatality and hospitalization rates plummet after Omicron, UK now on similar path, hospitalization rates far lower, average time in hospital drops to 3 days from 8.8 for Delta in UK.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9c78befe-68ea-11ec-b36e-1...

It comes after a former head of Britain’s Vaccine Taskforce said the UK’s use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine may be one of the reasons why the nation is not recording as many deaths as other European countries. Dr Clive Dix said it was possible that the RNA in Pfizer and Moderna’s vaccines did not last as long in the body.

[Edited on 12-30-2021 by JDCanuck]

Cancamo - 12-30-2021 at 06:35 PM

Friends in Los Planes, say holiday gatherings has half the town with covid. La Ribera has similar reports. I hope it's not the case, but the rumor is we are heading for another shut down by the middle of the month.

100X - 12-30-2021 at 08:15 PM

When they "lock down" in BCS, what specifically does that mean?
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  15