BajaNomad

BC and BCS COVID-19 Active Cases

Pages:  1  ..  13    15

surabi - 6-26-2022 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Surabi,

Argue with the CDC, it’s their study not mine! So why no testing if so many infected tourists are coming to BCS seems like common sense? BTW I’m in favor of all sick people being required to wear real masks correctly!

The CDC never said masks were ineffective. Show me where they said that. They made a distinction between which masks were useful and which weren't.

Why no testing for incoming travellers to Mexico? Because the Mexican govt. has had an ignorant approach to the pandemic since square one. Obredor said his amulets would keep him safe and that Covid was a disease of the rich, that it wouldn't affect the poor. His head of Covid response, when asked why Mexico wasn't requiring testing or vaccinations, responded, "Because sick people don't travel".

This is all the evidence needed to see how idiotic they have been. meanwhile, Mexico has been near or at the top of the death rate worldwide for Covid for a long time. The death rate in Mexico was 11% for most of the pandemic.

As for your "all sick people wearing masks", that shows incredible ignorance. People can have and spread Covid without showing any symptoms themselves, and it also protects the mask wearer from anyone who is infected and unmasked.

And is your period key broken? What's with all the exclamation marks?

RFClark - 6-26-2022 at 12:33 PM

Surabi,

I use “!” Cause I can’t fire a gun for emphasis (Google the historical) and underlining is too much effort.

In Asia it has been customary for people who are ill to wear a mask for a long time, but they are also smart enough to remove their footwear at the door. Both are a good idea GFE. (Is that better?)

surabi - 6-26-2022 at 06:54 PM

Asians don't just wear masks when they are ill. A lot of them wear them routinely in crowded public places, and have done long before Covid.

AKgringo - 6-26-2022 at 07:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Asians don't just wear masks when they are ill. A lot of them wear them routinely in crowded public places, and have done long before Covid.

I spent 1969 in South Korea, with an R&R visit to Tokyo. It was fairly common to see healthy people wearing masks in public places.

JZ - 6-26-2022 at 09:42 PM

I have been to Asia about 40 times (wife was born in Tokyo). Have watched them wear masks periodically for 20+ years.

It's always been a very small percentage of people. It started happening more after the swine flu. More common when traveling (planes/airport). More in China than Japan or Korea.

That is their choice. It has always been wise to stay home when you are sick (all ppl). If people feel they need extra protection that is great also.

Making little kids who have near zero chance of getting seriously ill and are not good spreaders of Covid wear masks for 8hrs a day in schools, thus setting back their emotional development, is just awful policy. A ton of people and countries agree with that.

[Edited on 6-27-2022 by JZ]

JZ - 6-26-2022 at 09:51 PM

People can have and spread Covid without showing any symptoms themselves..

I don't know if you realize this or not, but in December and January several hospitals in different states told medical professionals who tested positive that they could return to work as soon as they were asymptomatic even without a negative test.

They didn't do that unless it was a very low risk of spreading Covid.

Protect yourself if you are at risk. Let other people live their damn lives.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/workforce/california-a...

RFClark - 6-26-2022 at 10:29 PM

JZ,

The thing that makes me wonder how much Kabuki there was in this theater is the fact foot coverings and shoe disinfectant trays were never required in the US. Mexico and other countries yes but the US no or at least not California.

Since shoe coverings and shoe tack matts are integral to both hospital infection control and clean rooms why neither for this epidemic?

JZ - 6-26-2022 at 10:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
JZ,

The thing that makes me wonder how much Kabuki there was in this theater is the fact foot coverings and shoe disinfectant trays were never required in the US. Mexico and other countries yes but the US no or at least not California.

Since shoe coverings and shoe tack matts are integral to both hospital infection control and clean rooms why neither for this epidemic?

I went to 10 states in 2020. None had the shoe wash thing. The first time I saw it was in the Spring of 2021 in Loreto.

This is an airborne disease. You don't get it by touching things. Unless someone sneezed on something, you immediately touched it, and then wiped your face.

I actually learned this fact in April 2020 from CNN's chief Doc. That's one reason I decided to start traveling in 2020, but avoid people mostly.

bajatrailrider - 6-27-2022 at 09:14 AM

it is proven fact masks are useless to prevent covid. Do I use one yes to keep all happy. If it saves one in a million from covid so be it.

mtgoat666 - 6-27-2022 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
it is proven fact masks are useless to prevent covid.

Post a link to your proof!

P.s. re covid in general, What would Jesus do?

[Edited on 6-27-2022 by mtgoat666]

surabi - 6-28-2022 at 06:47 PM

I'm sure all the scientists who have studied this and proven that masks are indeed of value in preventig the spread and contracting of Covid will be grateful to have some armchair "alternative facts" clown set them straight.

[Edited on 6-29-2022 by surabi]

gnukid - 6-28-2022 at 07:52 PM

The idea of using a mask in relation to transmission of influenza like illness would be that the infectious particles expressed from the mouth and nose of an infected person would be larger measured in microns than the holes in the material that allow the person to breathe.

Also, we would need evidence that when non-infected, infected and recuperated get together they benefit by reduced rates of influenza (covid19) and deaths by wearing a face mask, by delaying viral engagement, versus not delaying viral engagement.

Are either of those demonstrably true from the hospital data?

[Edited on 6-29-2022 by gnukid]

Lee - 6-29-2022 at 06:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

NIH directors have said cloth masks are worthless. The only mask that is fool proof is an N95 mask worn properly. Most people do not do this.

The generalizations you try to pass as fact? Amusing.

I doubt you know when someone is wearing N95 or not. If you see someone wearing a mask improperly, leave the alone.

BajaNomad - 6-29-2022 at 06:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

influenza (covid19)

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm
https://www.who.int/teams/global-influenza-programme/influen...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7646051/
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/i...
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseas...

SFandH - 6-29-2022 at 07:57 AM

14-day change in COVID cases:

BC - +119% 206 cases, 8 per 100,000
BCS - +64% 304 cases, 43 per 100,000

source: Johns Hopkins University

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/mexico-covid-...

CA - +9% 18,895 cases, 48 per 100,000

source: the state

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/california-covid...

[Edited on 6-29-2022 by SFandH]

JDCanuck - 6-29-2022 at 09:40 AM

It seems a whole lot of friends that were fully vaccinated and boosted as well are coming down with covid very recently. Masks, social distancing and avoiding large gatherings seem to be the only line of defense.
On the other hand, for those that do get it, they also exhibit fairly mild reactions and recover very rapidly.

pacificobob - 6-29-2022 at 10:07 AM

Also when the air quality becomes toxic

pacificobob - 6-29-2022 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Post a link to your proof!

P.s. re covid in general, What would Jesus do?
"Proven fact" .......sounds redundant....that alone cast doubt on the accuracy.

[Edited on 6-27-2022 by mtgoat666]

surabi - 6-29-2022 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

On the other hand, for those that do get it, they also exhibit fairly mild reactions and recover very rapidly.

I have spoken to two people in Canada who have recently had Covid- one is my son-in-law, one is a close friend. Both fully vaccinated and boosted. Neither of them had mild reactions- while they didn't require hospitalization, both were sick for 2 weeks and felt really awful.

pacificobob - 6-29-2022 at 02:07 PM

2 vaccine doses and a booster. I came to the US for the first time in 9 months. We both got covid immediately with moderately bad symptoms...but notably a lingering cough and a remarkable lack of energy....several weeks now.

SFandH - 6-29-2022 at 02:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
2 vaccine doses and a booster. I came to the US for the first time in 9 months. We both got covid immediately with moderately bad symptoms...but notably a lingering cough and a remarkable lack of energy....several weeks now.

"remarkable lack of energy"

Yes sir!

I had the January omicron variant and was down and out for almost 2 weeks. All upper-respiratory. Incredibly clogged up. No way I could breathe through my nose.

JDCanuck - 6-29-2022 at 02:41 PM

Perhaps there is yet a new strain that has longer lasting symptoms that you all contracted? All of our family members or friends that tested positive recovered much quicker and reported much milder symptoms...pretty much like a cold or mild flu. Age was also under 60 in all cases. All of us older than 60 haven't yet had any symptoms, tho may have been infected unknowingly as we did spend time with those who tested positive.

SFandH - 6-29-2022 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Perhaps there is yet a new strain that has longer lasting symptoms that you all contracted? All of our family members or friends that tested positive recovered much quicker and reported much milder symptoms...pretty much like a cold or mild flu. Age was also under 60 in all cases. All of us older than 60 haven't yet had any symptoms, tho may have been infected unknowingly as we did spend time with those who tested positive.

Isn't it true that if you inhale a whopping dose, you're going to get sicker than someone who inhaled a smaller amount? Hence one cause of the difference in individual responses?

JDCanuck - 6-29-2022 at 04:26 PM

I would think it would be more related to your individual preconditions or susceptibility. In my understanding viruses are self propagating and are beat back by the strength of your immune system. Younger people have massive amounts of T-cells on the front line, while us elder people have declining T-cell counts. I haven't heard yet how to boost natural T-cells, but maybe thats how honey and other immunity boosters work.'
I fight off colds and flu symptoms with hot baths, honey, hot vitamin C and tylenol mixtures and it always seems to work well in my case.
Grandma's recipe for immunity boosters were garlic, echinacea and ginseng, and if that didn't work it was"Get off your butt and go get some fresh air"you wimp"Grandma was too tough for me to argue with so i never dared oppose her.

[Edited on 6-29-2022 by JDCanuck]

surabi - 6-29-2022 at 09:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Isn't it true that if you inhale a whopping dose, you're going to get sicker than someone who inhaled a smaller amount? Hence one cause of the difference in individual responses?

I'm not sure that it has to be a "whopping" dose, like someone coughing or sneezing directly on you, but from all the reading I have done on virus transmission over the past couple of years, viral load definitely is a factor. Your immune system, if strong, could fight off a small amount of viral particles before they started replicating and making you really sick.

My friend who had a 2 week bad bout works in an office where she is exposed to lots of people on a daily basis, and she was also rather run down from a heavy work load to start with.
My son-in-law caught it from my 17 year old grandaughter, who is out and about all the time taking no precautions. (She's a special hard-to-control kid- ADHD and just does whatever she wants to without regard for others). My son-in-law was also run down from a heavy work load.

So both of the people I know who had pretty bad cases weren't at the top of their game to start with, which makes it easier to fall ill with anything, really, not just Covid.

But this virus doesn't seem to have much rhyme or reason as to who gets really sick, or even dies, and who has only mild symptoms. Back when the Delta variant was raging, I knew of one woman who died within a week of getting infected. She was vaxed, only 40 years old, had no co-morbidities, was active and healthy, and was taking a lot of precautions, but it just hit her with a vengeance. She had 2 young kids- her death was so sudden and sad.

JZ - 6-29-2022 at 09:57 PM

I knew of one woman who died within a week of getting infected. She was vaxed, only 40 years old, had no co-morbidities, was active and healthy, and was taking a lot of precautions, but it just hit her with a vengeance. She had 2 young kids- her death was so sudden and sad.

You are just making stuff up now.

Covid has killed less than 26K people under 40 in the US in 2 and a half years (CDC data). 95% of them had co-morbidities and were not vaxxed.

No, your friend did not die "within a week" of getting Covid at that age and without serious pre-existing health problems.

[Edited on 6-30-2022 by JZ]

JZ - 6-29-2022 at 10:36 PM

Queen Elizabeth II (95) tests positive for Covid-19; experiencing mild, cold-like symptoms
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/queen...

mtgoat666 - 6-29-2022 at 10:59 PM

Queen Elizabeth II (95) tests positive for Covid-19; experiencing mild, cold-like symptoms
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/queen...

Why you always posting about the queen? You got a thing for old ladies? If yes, don’t you care enough to practice safe public health for the sake of the elders?

mtgoat666 - 6-29-2022 at 11:02 PM

I knew of one woman who died within a week of getting infected. She was vaxed, only 40 years old, had no co-morbidities, was active and healthy, and was taking a lot of precautions, but it just hit her with a vengeance. She had 2 young kids- her death was so sudden and sad.

Covid has killed less than 26K people under 40 in the US in 2 and a half years (CDC data). 90% of them had co-morbidities and were not vaxxed.

No, your friend did not die "within a week" of getting Covid at that age and without serous pre-existing health problems.

Short stuff:
Are you adding “doctor” to your list of dubious skills such as law?

JZ - 6-30-2022 at 12:00 AM

Short stuff:

When I was a 1L in law school there was a medical doctor in my class. He was in his early 50's.

Very smart and interesting guy.

JDCanuck - 6-30-2022 at 06:56 AM

Just looked at the rapidly rising case count in La Paz and Cabo, tourist travel there doesn't seem to be impacted negatively. Present restrictions don't seem to be slowing it down at all, altho reported case fatality rates have certainly declined significantly recently.

https://coronavirus.bcs.gob.mx/english/

gnukid - 6-30-2022 at 07:24 AM

Age and sex-specific risks of myocarditis and pericarditis following Covid-19 messenger RNA vaccines

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-31401-5#Tab2

"In conclusion, this study provides strong evidence of an increased risk of myocarditis and of pericarditis in the week following vaccination against Covid-19 with mRNA vaccines in both males and females, in particular after the second dose of the mRNA-1273 vaccine. "

mtgoat666 - 6-30-2022 at 07:45 AM

Short stuff:

When I was a 1L in law school there was a medical doctor in my class. He was in his early 50's.

I bet you stayed in a holiday in last night!

JZ - 6-30-2022 at 07:50 AM

I heard a couple days ago that Fentanyl poisonings killed more people between the ages of 18 and 45 than car accidents, suicide, and Covid combined.

Why isn't the mainstream media talking about all the Fentanyl streaming across our wide open border?

JDCanuck - 6-30-2022 at 09:05 AM

In order to deal with drug addictions of street people we first have to deal with exploding homelessness. Saying street drug addicts should just say no to homelessness just doesn't appear to be working very well.
The tax increases on landlords to fight homelessness doesn't appear to be working out well either.

willardguy - 6-30-2022 at 10:38 AM

I heard a couple days ago that Fentanyl poisonings killed more people between the ages of 18 and 45 than car accidents, suicide, and Covid combined.

Why isn't the mainstream media talking about all the Fentanyl streaming across our wide open border?

what do you mean "a couple days ago"? you busted out this beauty back in april. could it be along with a raging case of mythomania doctor Z is experiencing the onslaught of dementia?

and you might want to walk back the "combined" statement...but then again just something you heard, right?

[Edited on 6-30-2022 by willardguy]

[Edited on 6-30-2022 by willardguy]

surabi - 6-30-2022 at 11:14 AM

Covid has killed less than 26K people under 40 in the US in 2 and a half years (CDC data). 95% of them had co-morbidities and were not vaxxed.

No, your friend did not die "within a week" of getting Covid at that age and without serious pre-existing health problems.

Wow, you are so offensive- you are calling me a liar when you know nothing about this case or the person involved? You are making up some comorbidities that didn't exist because you can't handle anything that doesn't conform to your faulty pre-conceived notions. Plenty of people died from Covid who were otherwise young and healthy, whether you believe it or not.

You are welcome to your "Covid is over" and other nonsense beliefs, but you are not welcome to accuse others of lying when you have zero proof that they are. That's called libel.

willardguy - 6-30-2022 at 06:05 PM

Short stuff:

how can you argue with that?

surabi - 6-30-2022 at 06:06 PM

Don't believe anyone who stupidly tells you Covid is "over", folks. This virus seems endlessly capable of mutating and like something designed to wipe out the human race. Expect more people hospitalized on ventilators, the medical system once again overtaxed, more lockdowns, more mandated masking and isolating, and a lot more deaths.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/the-worst-version-of-covid-is-spre...

[Edited on 7-1-2022 by surabi]

JZ - 6-30-2022 at 06:10 PM

Don't believe anyone who stupidly tells you Covid is "over", folks. This virus seems endlessly capable of mutating and like something designed to wipe out the human race. Expect more people hospitalized on ventilators, the medical system once again overtaxed, more lockdowns, more mandated masking and isolating, and a lot more deaths.

Why do you root for the virus? Smdh.

[Edited on 7-1-2022 by JZ]

willardguy - 6-30-2022 at 06:33 PM

Why do root for the virus? Smdh.

eloquent rebuttal there Jose!:lol:

surabi - 6-30-2022 at 06:50 PM

[

Why do root for the virus? Smdh.

Of all the dumb things you say, this might be one of the dumbest. Being informed about something and sharing information has zero to do with being pleased about that information. And neither denying the danger nor making others aware of it has any effect on the virus itself.

Lee - 6-30-2022 at 08:10 PM

Why do you root for people taking chances with their health?

Skipjack Joe - 7-1-2022 at 02:16 PM

It's not a contest.

mtgoat666 - 7-13-2022 at 01:22 PM

The 'worst variant' is here

- The most transmissible variant yet has arrived -

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/13/world/coronavirus-newsletter-...

Nearly two-and-a-half years since the coronavirus pandemic began, the most infectious and transmissible variant yet has arrived.

Repeated Covid-19 waves have left millions of people dead, with only vaccines helping to blunt the toll. Now the virus is spreading again — evolving, escaping immunity and driving an uptick in cases and hospitalizations. The latest version of its shape-shifting, BA.5, is a clear sign that the pandemic is far from over.

The newest offshoot of Omicron, along with a closely related variant, BA.4, are fueling a global surge in cases — 30% over the past fortnight, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

In Europe, the Omicron subvariants are powering a spike in cases of about 25%, though Dr. Michael Ryan, the executive director of WHO's Health Emergencies Program, has said that number may actually be higher, given the "almost collapse in testing." BA.5 is on the march in China, ratcheting anxieties that major cities there may soon re-enforce strict lockdown measures that were only recently lifted. And the same variant has become the dominant strain in the United States, where it accounted for 65% of new infections last week, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

"We have been watching this virus evolve rapidly. We've been planning and preparing for this moment. And the message that I want to get across to the American people is this: BA.5 is something we're closely monitoring, and most importantly, we know how to manage it," said Dr. Ashish Jha, the White House's Covid-19 response coordinator, in a news briefing on Tuesday.
On the same day, WHO's Emergency Committee said Covid-19 remained a Public Health Emergency of International Concern — its highest level of alert, first declared on January 20, 2020 — amid rising cases, ongoing viral mutation and increasing pressure on already overstretched health systems. In a statement, the committee, which is made up of independent experts, highlighted challenges to the ongoing global Covid-19 response, including a drop-off in testing and spotty genome sequencing, raising the question of just how accurately any nation might reasonably be able to monitor BA.5.

Official data dramatically undercount the true number of infections in the US, epidemiologists say, leaving the nation with a critical blind spot as the most transmissible coronavirus variant yet takes hold. Some experts think there could be as many as 1 million new infections every day in the broader US population — 10 times higher than the official count.

As for how to manage the new wave, Jha urged Americans aged 50 and older to get second booster shots. Adults who are up to date with vaccinations are less likely to be hospitalized than those who are unvaccinated. But only about one in four adults in the US over 50 have gotten their recommended second boosters, data collected by the CDC show.

JDCanuck - 7-13-2022 at 04:01 PM

The only person we know personally who never had the vaccines just had the latest Omicron variant. Despite being 60 yr old, serious other health problems including still undiagnosed heart palpitations, she felt very tired and dizzy for 3 days, then quickly recovered and is fine now. This variant seems to be exceptionally mild as they kept saying and nowhere near as fatal as previous strains. If indeed there are actually ten times the infected persons stated, then of course the case fatality rate would be cut to 1/10 that presently displayed.
Global case fatality rates continuing to decline:
https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid

[Edited on 7-13-2022 by JDCanuck]

Lee - 7-14-2022 at 10:11 PM

Life is about balance. Instead many local governments did things for campaign dollars against the best interest of the American people.
[Edited on 7-14-2022 by JZ]

Please stop whining about local politics. It's boring and unnecessary. Everyone here knows you don't like living in California.

There is an exodus leaving CA. Be part of it.

JZ - 7-14-2022 at 10:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

We have a 2nd home on 2 acres outside of Denver in the foothills.

You and I might become neighbors in the near future.

JDCanuck - 7-15-2022 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Life is about balance. Instead many local governments did things for campaign dollars against the best interest of the American people.
[Edited on 7-14-2022 by JZ]

Please stop whining about local politics. It's boring and unnecessary. Everyone here knows you don't like living in California.

Not just CA, we are seeing more and more Canadians taking the same step. Mainly those that value self sufficiency, basic freedoms and independence. The attitudes of the average Mexican are the bonus.

PaulW - 8-1-2022 at 04:47 PM

On June 2, 2022, the COVID-19 restrictions and
the COVID-19 clinic protocols were re-instated by
the state of Baja California and are still in effect.
As of 7/30 the municipality of San Felipe report 696
active cases

Pages:  1  ..  13    15