BajaNomad

BC and BCS COVID-19 Active Cases

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  15

Ateo - 7-8-2021 at 09:40 PM

Just an FYI....2 people close to me (both vaccinated) got Covid last week...........be careful!!!!!!!!!!

JC43 - 7-8-2021 at 10:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Just an FYI....2 people close to me (both vaccinated) got Covid last week...........be careful!!!!!!!!!!

Question: One or Two shots? Infected w/ two shots??? Johnson&Johnson stated this week it is necessary to develop a booster to be protected against all the next generations/varians/mutations after Delta. Lambda is already widespread on circulation.

[Edited on 7-9-2021 by JC43]

4x4abc - 7-9-2021 at 01:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
La Paz?
Not looking good!

How available is the vaccine?

I had no problem to get it
Mexico is making an effort

however, as long as new mutants are springing up (anywhere on the planet) the vaccine means chit
I am certain I will wear a mask (around people) for the rest of my life

Ateo - 7-9-2021 at 06:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

Interesting; which vaccine? How long after the final dose were they infected? How serious were the symptoms?

One Moderna (me), one Pfizer (my son). We were vaccinated in Feb/March. Symptoms mild. Runny nose, no smell and cough. The 5 others in the family (all vaccinated and sitting in the same car for 3 hours) didn't get it.

Ateo - 7-9-2021 at 07:40 AM

After realizing there are anti-vaccination people reading this I wanted to take a second and elaborate on our experience......In March and April I received my 1st and 2nd Moderna shots. As an essential worker who worked every day thru the pandemic since March 2020 thru the Christmas time surge and into 2021, I was relived to finally get my shots. I continued to wear my N95 at work and surgical masks everywhere else when out in public.

When California reopened and the mask mandate was rescinded, I lowered my guard a little, and did start going into a few stores without a mask and even took the mask off a little at work when I wasn't in close proximity to others.

2 weeks ago today, I noticed a tiny little cough. I had heard about some friends getting a cold and thought I must've caught some bug - and considering I hadn't been sick while wearing my mask the last 1.25 years I chalked it up to taking the mask off and BAM - got a cold!! 2 days later I noticed I had to blow my nose a few times a day. Another 2 days went by and the cough got worse so my wife scheduled a Covid test. I thought she was a little too cautious but I obliged. Did a rapid test, told the lady I was gonna go for a quick surf while I waited for results (she said go for it and have fun!) and then got the call. "You tested POSITIVE".

Went into quarantine in my room. Stayed there for the duration. 2 days later my son got congested. Tested him and he was also positive.

The contact tracer called within hours and was kinda shocked that I tested positive but said that had been happening more lately with the Delta variant being around. Trying to remember every place I had been during the past few days for work was very difficult. LA, SD, Riverside, San Bernardino, OC....

2 days before getting sick I worked with a fellow libtard like myself, but a libtard who is anti vaccination and doesn't wear masks now that the mandate has been lifted. He had just gotten back from Lake Havasu, was totally sunburnt and looked horribly tired and in massive pain. I hope he didn't give it to me. No way to know........could've been anybody.

Anyways, out of the 6 people in my household, 2 got it. My wife, who is vaccinated and took care of me, and slept in the same room as me the first few days before I tested positive, tested negative.

These vaccines kick butt. They made my experience pretty mellow. Go get vaccinated if you'd like to make it much easier on yourself. I'm back at work now and my taste is returning slowly.

[Edited on 7-9-2021 by Ateo]

Ateo - 7-9-2021 at 08:25 AM

Yes. I was contagious for sure. Pretty sure I’m the one who gave it to my son. My guess on why they are telling people who are vaccinated to go maskless is that it is very rare for the vaccinated to get sick. I also think they’re saying to the unvaccinated, “Hey. Look here. This could be you. Free. Maskless. Get a vaccine and DON’T DIE IF YOU STILL GET COVID!!”

As for me, I’m going back fully masked when in public, even though I’m vaccinated AND had Covid.

caj13 - 7-9-2021 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Uh Oh. I bet Gnukid is scared now.😂

If he actually understood science & math, he would be very scared.

I can tell you I often publically confronted individuals stupid enough to not wear a mask - kind of a public service wrapped in my personal entertainment. i miss those days!

JZ - 7-9-2021 at 09:13 AM

I'll wear a mask if a biz or govt. says you have to. Except outside in a non-crowded space, as that was the f'ing dumbest thing ever.

Although, I seriously doubt a mask does you any good for not getting or giving it.

The best thing you can do if you are worried is stay away from ppl.

JZ - 7-9-2021 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

I can tell you I often publically confronted individuals stupid enough to not wear a mask - kind of a public service wrapped in my personal entertainment. i miss those days!

You are a complete burro if you do that. Hopefully someone put you in your place for it.

And your math is awful. If your math was correct we'd have 5-10x more deaths.

For healthy ppl under 50 Covid is extremely low risk of death or serious illness. Those ppl are as likely to die in a car crash.

For heathly ppl under 30 it's incredibly low risk, ppl of that age are 4-5 times more likely to die from suicide than Covid.

And that is without even taking vaccinations into account. With the vaccination the numbers plummet even further.

Covid is very dangerous for some. It's those ppl who need to be protected and be careful.

Failure to acknowledge these demographic facts makes you a science denier.

[Edited on 7-9-2021 by JZ]

pacificobob - 7-9-2021 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Uh Oh. I bet Gnukid is scared now.😂

some people have no idea what it's like to be hit really hard.
perhaps folks who share his view should be careful

Ateo - 7-9-2021 at 11:19 AM

I know 3 people in Mexico (all ages 37) who recently got Covid. 2 died (twin brothers) and the other is still in the hospital after almost dying. None were vaccinated and that's not really their fault as vaccines weren't as available as they are here.

gnukid - 7-9-2021 at 12:48 PM

You can get a home test to know if you have immunity if that helps you feel better. Or you can donate a unit of blood if you haven't been vaccinated, and it can be checked for antibodies to use as convalescent plasma to help others be protected.

T cell test to know if you had COVID-19
https://www.t-detect.com/

Using a set of identified “shared” T-cell receptors (TCRs) that are seen across multiple infected individuals, we identified a T-cell signature that can be used to develop a clinical test.

Alm - 7-10-2021 at 12:18 AM

La Paz?
Not looking good!

Agrees with other sources: https://datos.covid-19.conacyt.mx/. Looks like another wave, higher than the one in winter.
Click on the state, check the graph to the right. Move the left slider all the way to the left to see the big picture. By default it opens compressed to 14 days - this period doesn't tell anything because symptoms only appear after 5-7 days.

Within BCS you may click on La Paz but this is a small area, less data, difficult to see the trend.

You can get infected after vaccination, why not. Possible reasons: old age, diabetic or pre-diabetic condition, high viral load, a variant. 1/3 of Americans are pre-diabetic and often don't know it. Also, it takes 2 weeks for your body to build up immunity, you may get infected during that period. 2 things that work are distancing and N95 mask. Telling people that right after vaccination they can go maskless and won't have to keep distance, is really odd. If some officials are telling this, they have no clue.

[Edited on 7-10-2021 by Alm]

pacificobob - 7-10-2021 at 10:49 AM

many covid cases in pescadero, more than ever. O2 is in short supply. locals are frightened.
maybe they just need more "fresh air" and vegetables as prescribed by gnuboy

Stickers - 7-10-2021 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
many covid cases in pescadero, more than ever. O2 is in short supply. locals are frightened.
maybe they just need more "fresh air" and vegetables as prescribed by gnuboy

99.2% of covid deaths last month were unvaccinated folks. Maybe gnuboy isn't good at arithmetic.

pacificobob - 7-11-2021 at 10:34 AM

the national vaccine information center cited by gnunut above is making huge profits selling vitamins to the anti vaxxers. Google it.

mtgoat666 - 7-11-2021 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

transhumanism…

With your claims of being a Silicon Valley whiz kid, I figured you would be a proponent of transhumanism,…

But you are turning out to be a gen x nihilist bordering on luddite, though a Luddite that relies on tech to spout your conspiracy theories and faddish it-takes-a-village-eating-health food fascism.

gnukid - 7-11-2021 at 02:20 PM

Whether you are aware or not, most have worked to support AI, Robotics, Transhuminism, Simulation, DARPA Bioweapons, EMF mind and body control projects, you participate in Transhumanism injecting synthetic genes to permanently modify your body, you inject conductive graphene nanoparticles and opt in to 5G, cellular contact tracing surveillance, while you know that 5G is a much broader wavelength, greater strength and more intrusive and dangerous to humans?

You've heard of Kurzweil's Singularity Project, MIT Labs, Fort Detrick flulike Bioweapons and other academic labs, the 4th Industrial Revolution, WEF Global Reset, which includes broad rollout of Transhuminsim controlled through EMF via injected nanoparticle modulators within your body and brain, currency war, destabilization of the economy to provoke mass chaos and control human response, surveil, using IOT and 5g wifi etc.

You know about labs and businesses with more robots than people.

Most are aware of a long term broad spiritual war on people, to divide, weaken, and separate communities into combatants, pitting one against the other, and demonic institutional eugenics agendas, which hare the purpose of NGOs, UN, CFR, TRI-Lateral group, DAVOS, GAVI, WHO,CDC, NHIS etc and promoted by Families like, Darwin-Galton, Huxley, Rockefeller, Rothschild, Gates, Fauci, etc

We see TV and movies foreshadowing the transhumanistc eugenics agenda.

But what is the Transhuman agenda once it is implemented and no longer theoretical? What does it mean to each one us in the long term?

The Transhuman agenda is not about making lives better for everyone, diversity or inclusion, it is a military model return to Feudal Kingdoms ruling over a second and third caste class system, controlled, tortured, abused poor serfs, enslaved only as long as needed, destroyed and discarded.

No one is essential in the AI Automation model, the model designed to be increasingly automated, increasingly efficient, use fewer and fewer resources, cost less and less, and everyone can be discarded or destroyed as non-essential.

You make the choice, do you participate in an AI Transhumanistic model whose best outcome is to no longer need or want you, or do you actively step away, do not comply, and instead redesign and build communities that do not rely on failing Transhuman AI automation modeling, and instead build your own model based on humanity.

Build local food production, manage your compost, build your soil, build nutrition, grow a year round garden, raise farm animals, hunt and fish as needed, manage your resources, water, fuel, electrical energy, and most important manage the community to be safe, secure and ethical, with good morals and human spirituality.

It's your choice to participate in the Transhuman agenda or to not participate. You can opt out, don't participate.

Transhuman 101: Moderna declares COVID vaccine to be an ‘Operating System’
https://foreignaffairsintelligencecouncil.wordpress.com/2021...

mtgoat666 - 7-11-2021 at 03:01 PM

I am a big sci-fi fan, and love the gee-whiz of tech. I think I will opt in to this transhumanism you speak of with robots, AI, 5G, etc.
I also like my home garden, so will continue with that.
Count me as a transhumanist that has an organic garden, fresh veggies, and likes occasional meal at McDonald’s drive-thru. :bounce:

Maybe mind control by AI and Bill Gates will make us all happier?

LancairDriver - 7-11-2021 at 05:39 PM

gnukid, maybe if you could “dumb down” your research a little the audience would be better able to comprehend. Try simpler examples. There seems to be too much confusion.

Alm - 7-11-2021 at 11:45 PM

... only a fraction of total covid vaccine injuries are reported since it's voluntary by doctors.

... and NVIC are collecting data on injuries and death forcefully from the doctors, Al Capone style :lol:....

Where did that "voluntary" came from, I wonder. Doctors are required by FDA to report death occurring after vaccination even it's unclear whether it was caused by vaccine.

[Edited on 7-12-2021 by Alm]

Alm - 7-12-2021 at 12:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
the national vaccine information center cited by gnunut above is making huge profits selling vitamins to the anti vaxxers. Google it.

NVIC's only product is paranoia. However, a lot of their funding comes from certain vitamin manufacturers and distributors. A synergetic alliance - NVIC sells fear, people take vitamins instead of a vaccine.

SFandH - 7-12-2021 at 04:04 PM

Government announces completion of adult vaccinations in Baja California

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/government-anno...

Maybe the restrictions on Mexicans crossing the border will be lifted this month.

[Edited on 7-12-2021 by SFandH]

Alm - 7-13-2021 at 05:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Mr. Carlson, the highest-rated Fox News host, with an average of 2.9 million viewers, said the Biden plan was an attempt to “force people to take medicine they don’t want or need.” He called the initiative “the greatest scandal in my lifetime, by far.”

Politicizing the problem, how original. There was a poll a while ago - how many people want or don't want to get vaccinated, the numbers were 65% for, 35% against, or something like that. An incidental finding - the number of people voting against was higher in black and poor districts, and also among those with less education and those who voted for Trump. It was in Wall Street Journal.

Here in Canada nurses doing vaccinations on Indian reserves complained that many Indians don't believe in coronavirus. They believe this to be a tale fabricated by pale-face enemies. They didn't vote for Trump but mostly fit other criteria identified by the above poll. Epidemiologists were talking to the chiefs. Case counts are high in some bands, threatening the very existence of a small nation.

Mexico vaccination rate is 16%, not very impressive. Earlier this year volunteers were going door to door in Tijuana, trying to convince people get tested. Same problem as with Indians - many either don't believe in coronavirus or don't want to know. Maybe this changed later. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/border-baja-califo...

US case counts have doubled in recent weeks, epidemiologists say the rise is driven by Delta variant, summer socializing and younger unvaccinated people.

[Edited on 7-14-2021 by Alm]

pacificobob - 7-13-2021 at 07:29 PM

as a kid in last century, i never imagined the level of ignorance existing in this century.

mtgoat666 - 7-14-2021 at 10:51 AM

covid report from san juanico...
https://www.facebook.com/alejandrorojastirado/

“SAN JUANICO UN GRITO DESESPERADO” ⛑🏥🚨🚨
Los más olvidados de BCS se encuentran desesperados por ayuda y las autoridades no los escuchan……
Esta es la narrativa de Jaime Rendon habitante de San Juanico, mejor conocido como “Scorpion Bay”
Amigo Alejandro Rojas, es para informarle la situación de nuestro pueblo , San Juanico , el brote de covid infectó a casi medio pueblo , ocupamos que alguien nos escuche , es desesperante , muchos positivos , sin ambulancia , ni medico , ni medicamentos , los enfermos los estan sacando en carros particulares con el riesgo de mas contagios , ya hay muertes , familias enteras contagiadas , la actividad pesquera y economica se detuvo , no hay nada de medicamento , los turistas siguen llegando y no hay un control carretero , las autoridades hacen caso omiso , ocupamos difundir , hacer que las autoridades nos escuchen, el pueblo se esta uniendo para comprar una ambulancia , imagínese el grado de desesperacion , dios nos proteja y a toda la Baja Sur, espero que por medio de usted nos ayuden, las dos veces que nos visito en San Juanico pudimos ver el usted el hombre de visión y humano “Por favor ayúdenos”
Atentamente; Jaime Rendon un humilde pescador
Hago un llamado a todos los funcionarios de todas las fracciones, alcaldes, gobernador, congreso del estado a que nos unamos para sacar a San Juanico de su “Grito Desesperado” a las autoridades de salud “George Flores” hagámoslo por Humanidad”
Les pido a todos mis seguidores compartan la presente publicación y eduquen al funcionario por el que votaron. “ Juntos podemos !!
Respetuosamente
Alejandro Rojas

mtgoat666 - 7-14-2021 at 01:53 PM

There Were More COVID-19 Vaccine Deaths Last Week in US than COVID-19 Deaths
https://wonder.cdc.gov/vaers.html

https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data/mortality

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/07/shock-report-covid-...

https://www.investmentwatchblog.com/shock-report-there-were-...

“We’ve Seen More Deaths From This Shot Than All Vaccines in the Last 20 Years Combined”

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/05/dr-cole-covid-jabs-...

FDA Will Add Warning of Rare Nerve Syndrome to J&J Vaccine

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/fda-will-add-warnin...

FDA to announce new warning on J&J Covid vaccine related to a rare autoimmune disorder, report says

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/12/fda-to-announce-new-warning-...

FDA adds warning about rare heart inflammation to Pfizer, Moderna Covid vaccines

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/26/fda-adds-warning-of-rare-hea...

‘HUGE RED FLAG’: MEDICAL RESEARCHERS BURY DATA SHOWING 82% MISCARRIAGE RATE IN MRNA “VACCINATED” WOMEN

https://thegoodlylawfulsociety.org/huge-red-flag-medical-res...

A manufactured illusion
https://rumble.com/vjs7pt-a-manufactured-illusion.-dr-david-...

[Edited on 7-14-2021 by gnukid]

Paul,
You seem to be mis-using the data…

“ The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) database contains information on unverified reports of adverse events (illnesses, health problems and/or symptoms) following immunization with US-licensed vaccines. Reports are accepted from anyone and can be submitted electronically at www.vaers.hhs.gov.‘“

“A report to VAERS does not mean that the vaccine caused the adverse event, only that the adverse event occurred some time after vaccination." The disclaimer continues, "The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental or unverifiable."

aburruss - 7-14-2021 at 05:26 PM

I've heard an "on the ground" report from San Juanico as well. Things do not look good there. While a couple weeks ago, it was "business as usual", it seems there are a lot of sick people, and and a couple of recent deaths over the past couple days.

Fishing and other things are starting to get shut down, yet the hotels and camping are still "lleno".

SFandH - 7-14-2021 at 05:36 PM

Careful out there. The more contagious delta mutation is causing problems, even for some vaccinated people.

https://news.google.com/search?q=fully%20vaccinated%20gettin...

Alm - 7-14-2021 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

“A report to VAERS does not mean that the vaccine caused the adverse event, only that the adverse event occurred some time after vaccination."

Yes.

There was analysis of John Hopkins data.
Incidence of deaths caused by vaccines is 0.002%.
Case fatality after Covid infection in the US without vaccine is 2%.

mtgoat666 - 7-14-2021 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
I've heard an "on the ground" report from San Juanico as well. Things do not look good there. While a couple weeks ago, it was "business as usual", it seems there are a lot of sick people, and and a couple of recent deaths over the past couple days.

Fishing and other things are starting to get shut down, yet the hotels and camping are still "lleno".

Maybe Dr. gnukid will visit san Juanico to hand out vitamins, soup, organic veggies and fresh air he says will cure covid, eh?

[Edited on 7-15-2021 by mtgoat666]

SFandH - 7-16-2021 at 05:12 PM

This delta mutation is such a drag. Things have taken a turn for the worse in the past couple of weeks.

Why aren't marooons like Tucker Carlson and his fellow Fox freaks arrested for yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater?

The anti-vax folks need to be silenced.

‘Pandemic of the unvaccinated’ burdens busy U.S. hospitals

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/pandemic-of-the-unvaccin...

[Edited on 7-17-2021 by SFandH]

caj13 - 7-17-2021 at 04:22 AM

At this point, if you have made the choice to not be vaccinated, you are on your own. your decisions and actions have consequences, you make the decision, you accept the consequences.

John Harper - 7-17-2021 at 06:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
At this point, if you have made the choice to not be vaccinated, you are on your own. your decisions and actions have consequences, you make the decision, you accept the consequences.

Except when your selfish use of hospital space deprives a responsible person of treatment for other emergencies.

Selfish is, as selfish does. People not vaxxed are just selfish POS.

John

SFandH - 7-17-2021 at 11:29 AM

17 Jul 2021

Data Sources:

BC - http://www.bajacalifornia.gob.mx/coronavirus - not updated
BC - new data source -
Comisión Estatal de Servicios Públicos de Tijuana - 16/07/21 ...
https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=164292602434166&_rdr

BCS - https://coronavirus.bcs.gob.mx/casos-covid-19/

"active cases are those that are two weeks old and can be contagious today. This is known by laboratory tests of people who go to hospitals."

https://coronavirus.gob.mx/2020/04/30/conferencia-30-de-abri...

[Edited on 7-17-2021 by SFandH]

Screenshot 2021-07-17 11.30.23 AM.png - 70kB

caj13 - 7-18-2021 at 04:44 AM

Hey gnuey - lets make this real easy - very simple!

Your first link
Covid Vaccine Deaths USA Now 10,991
https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data/mortality

any idea where that data came from?

Any idea how many of those "reported deaths" are from covid vaccines?

Who / what organization put up that website? And their history?

and lastly
assuming this were actual data accurately reflecting Covid vaccine deaths - (which it clearly is not)
so you are very concerned about the reported 10,9991 deaths caused by the vaccine - that is truely horrible
but you seem to have no concern at all for 608,000?

How can any compassionate caring human ignore 608,000 deaths, while they apparently show such great concerns over the deaths of 10,991? did you fail math?

SFandH - 7-18-2021 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Odd you should mention that common heat related cause of death. Here in our health area of 800,000 population we just lost more seniors in 2 days due to excessive temperatures than in 1 1/2 years with Covid. "Vaccines" without a long term history should remain a personal choice for each of us to determine whether the risks of a new genetic vaccine is higher than the risk of severe sickness or death to the virus it is approved for "emergency use"don't you think?

Don't forget if you do get sick from COVID you have probably already infected those close to you and have given the virus more chances to mutate to a more dangerous variant. It's not all about just you and your "personal choice". Getting vaccinated is the wise thing to do.

The Delta variant where I am....Nevada County, CA

AKgringo - 7-18-2021 at 05:51 PM

So far it has not been a big deal. It has been found in tests performed as far back as June 6th, but was not identified until well after the mask mandate was lifted on June 15. There has been an uptick of positive tests, but nothing like counties to the south of us.

According to the director of the local hospital, almost all new infections were found in younger, and/or unvaccinated people. The good news is that the current cases seem to be less damaging than last year's outbreak. As of Friday July16, there were only six people hospitalized, and no deaths for almost two months!

Nevada County has approximately 100,000 people, and the median age is 48, with 28% of the population over 65!

The story isn't over yet, and nobody is saying "We beat the Rona!", but it appears that an early, heavy push toward vaccinating this elderly community, along with all the frontline workers, is paying a dividend!

Alm - 7-18-2021 at 06:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

According to the director of the local hospital, almost all new infections were found in younger, and/or unvaccinated people. The good news is that the current cases seem to be less damaging than last year's outbreak. As of Friday July16, there were only six people hospitalized, and no deaths for almost two months!

Nevada County has approximately 100,000 people, and the median age is 48, with 28% of the population over 65

Heard it on the local radio this morning: same picture in Mexico. They are having the 3rd wave now, most cases are young unvaccinated people. They are more active, less likely to follow restrictions. Also, many of them are not eligible to get a vaccine yet, only a few days ago they allowed people under 40. https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/mexico-city-accelerat...

About dropping deaths counts. Doesn't necessarily mean that the virus mutates to a less deadly variant. Doctor's have now learned how to prevent deaths, ex. laying you face down instead of face up. There are also antibody drugs for the same purpose - reduce mortality of severe cases. Another reason is that vast majority of people over 65 have been vaccinated, those contributed a lot to death count in early days. I hope the virus will eventually mutate to less deadly variant, this is a possible scenario.

[Edited on 7-19-2021 by Alm]

Alm - 7-18-2021 at 07:17 PM

It's both spread amongst a far healthier group (seniors and risk groups have been largely vaccinated), and we have developed some treatments.

I would check testing rates in Sweden. More tests -> more cases found -> lower case fatality.

BajaRun - 7-18-2021 at 07:22 PM

What's the next step after the vaccinated start to test positive ?

mtgoat666 - 7-18-2021 at 08:29 PM

The Delta variant is so contagious, those unprotected will likely get it, a Trump administration FDA chief says

(CNN) Millions of Americans are jeopardizing their health, freedom and finances by not getting vaccinated and putting themselves at risk of the most infectious coronavirus strain yet, current and former federal health officials say.

"Most people will either get vaccinated, or have been previously infected, or they will get this Delta variant," Dr. Scott Gottlieb told CBS' "Face the Nation" on Sunday.

"And for most people who get this Delta variant, it's going to be the most serious virus that they get in their lifetime in terms of the risk of putting them in the hospital," said Gottlieb, who was commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration during the Trump administration.

Ateo - 7-18-2021 at 09:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRun  

Boosters!

John Harper - 7-19-2021 at 05:20 AM

Fresh air and organic food?

John

SFandH - 7-19-2021 at 08:12 AM

Going back to behaving as though you're not vaccinated and everybody else is infected.

Skipjack Joe - 7-19-2021 at 09:50 AM

Nothing. Your chances of dying after vaccination is virtually nil. Virtually all covid hospitalizations are now from unvaccinated delta variant infections.

Despite losing 550,000 people to covid we are extremely, extremely lucky that the delta variant made it's appearance when 60% of Americans are vaccinated. We dodged a bullet on that one.

Those living in Baja should try to get the mRNA vaccine if possible.

SFandH - 7-19-2021 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Nothing. Your chances of dying after vaccination is virtually nil.

That depends on how old you are and what kind of shape you're in. Plus, and this is what worries me, the delta variant is increasing the number of infections which increases the chance of a more deadly mutation. The virus is always mutating and most mutations are harmless........Most.

I'm not letting my guard down even though I'm vaccinated.

Skipjack Joe - 7-19-2021 at 06:11 PM

Nothing. Your chances of dying after vaccination is virtually nil.

That depends on how old you are and what kind of shape you're in. Plus, and this is what worries me, the delta variant is increasing the number of infections which increases the chance of a more deadly mutation. The virus is always mutating and most mutations are harmless........Most.

I'm not letting my guard down even though I'm vaccinated.

Sure. Better safe than sorry. A mask protects others more than the wearer.

New variants will now sprout from unvaccinated countries and come here. We're not out of the woods yet. We'll never eradicate this scourge. There will be boosters and more boosters.

SFandH - 7-19-2021 at 06:54 PM

This is an informative interview done today with Dr. Scott Gottlieb, a former FDA commissioner and now a member of the board of Pfizer. He speaks about the current infection rate, the vaccine wearing off with time, the possible need for boosters, and other related issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlAhPUHtsHw

4x4abc - 7-19-2021 at 11:24 PM

we are only 19 days into July - it is already the deadliest month for us in BCS. Looks like we'll finish around 400.

BCS death july.jpeg - 60kB

mtgoat666 - 7-20-2021 at 05:44 AM

we are only 19 days into July - it is already the deadliest month for us in BCS. Looks like we'll finish around 400.

Something has certainly changed recently, as the disease seems to be raging out of control again. Not sure if the change was mutation (e.g. delta) or just everyone halting public health measures like masking and social distancing….

SFandH - 7-20-2021 at 06:12 AM

Something has certainly changed recently, as the disease seems to be raging out of control again. Not sure if the change was mutation (e.g. delta) or just everyone halting public health measures like masking and social distancing….

The data I've been posting show the Los Cabos / La Paz active cases (hospital admittances) doubled in the third week of June. BCS hit an all-time high. A portion of those unfortunate folks are dying now.

Businesses and individuals were letting down their guard then the delta variant hit.

I just looked at today's active cases. The numbers are coming down.

[Edited on 7-20-2021 by SFandH]

motoged - 7-20-2021 at 11:51 AM

... New variants will now sprout from unvaccinated countries and come here. We're not out of the woods yet. We'll never eradicate this scourge. There will be boosters and more boosters.

"Unvaccinated countries" = USA :fire:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/fauci-us-canada-vaccines-1.6109362

[Edited on 7-20-2021 by motoged]

SFandH - 7-20-2021 at 01:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

... New variants will now sprout from unvaccinated countries and come here. We're not out of the woods yet. We'll never eradicate this scourge. There will be boosters and more boosters.

According to the New York Times

Canada - 51% fully vax, 71% partially vax
U.S. - 49% fully vax, 56% partially vax
Mex - 17% fully vax, 30% partially vax

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccina...

del mar - 7-20-2021 at 01:48 PM

but the claim in baja is BC 79% and BCS 50% vaccinated

mtgoat666 - 7-20-2021 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

California 51%
San Diego county 71%

Friends who work in the San Diego vaccine sites tell me that vaccine rate is dropping and they are closing some sites,… they say it does not look good for getting higher vaccine rates than what is achieved today.

It looks like the USA and Mexico is in for continuing pandemic unless some new incentive is developed to motivate the hold outs. I suspect the holdouts are a mix of anti-vaxxers, the uniformed, and the apathetic (don’t think about it or don’t care).

And the GOP crazies continue to promote conspiracy theories and misinformation in an attempt to score political gain off the ongoing tragedy of sickness and death. The gop disinformation campaign is downright ani-American, gop is purposefully prolonging pandemic and related economic impacts. The gop disinformation campaign is purposefully hurting citizens and purposefully damaging the economy.

[Edited on 7-20-2021 by mtgoat666]

SFandH - 7-20-2021 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

I know BC has a high vaccination rate, maybe the highest in Mexico, because the US donated vaccine that was all given to BC with the hopes of removing the border restrictions.

"This shipment of 1.3 million vaccines was designated entirely for Baja California by decision of the Mexican government."

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-06-19/border-c...

SFandH - 7-20-2021 at 04:02 PM

Let's try to keep politics off of this thread. It doesn't do any good.

Keep it factual - numbers, other pertinent info, with links.

AKgringo - 7-20-2021 at 04:15 PM

Let's try to keep politics off of this thread. It doesn't do any good.

Keep it factual - numbers, other pertinent info, with links.

We need a clean-up on the Covid isle!

SFandH - 7-20-2021 at 04:17 PM

Up here in our health region we get info on seniors percentages vaccinated, how many in the adult (over 16) vaccinated and how many from 12 up. All those vary in percentages, but seniors in homes are over 90 percent with at least one dose almost all expected to have the second soon and they were still being infected although at a much lower rate. In a population of 800,000 we now have zero people in critical care, zero new cases per day and only 20 remaining cases not recovered yet. We ARE improving, but it won't happen overnite.

Where's that?

Age does make a difference. I've been wondering why the rules about masks and gatherings don't take age into consideration. Everybody over 65 and others who are health compromised in some way need to be more cautious than young healthy adults. But I'm not hearing these words from the government talking heads.

I'm old, I smoked for 40 years and perhaps I like to take a drink a wee bit too often. I'm laying low until the bugs dry up.

Skipjack Joe - 7-20-2021 at 05:59 PM

If people want to play russian roulette with their lives that's their business. Those who got vaccinated are safe regardles what those people do. They only spread the disease among themselves. It's not a race between countries. It looks like Fox is now promoting vaccination and that's a good thing. The nonvaccinators don't care what Fauci says.

Skipjack Joe - 7-20-2021 at 06:12 PM

I've been wondering why the rules about masks and gatherings don't take age into consideration. Everybody over 65 and others who are health compromised in some way need to be more cautious than young healthy adults.

A senior wearing a mask doesn't help himself very much. It helps others from getting it from him.

The mask is an all or nothing thing. There needs to be unity. Vaccination on the other hand protects individuals. That's how I see it.

SFandH - 7-20-2021 at 06:16 PM

If people want to play russian roulette with their lives that's their business. Those who got vaccinated are safe regardles what those people do. They only spread the disease among themselves.

That's not 100% true. People that get infected enable the virus to mutate while they are sick. Perhaps mutate in such a way that the current vaccines no longer work. The idea is to vaccinate enough people to the point the vaccine dies out before such a mutation occurs. To the point where it is gone. Like polio, smallpox, and other viruses that modern medicine has eliminated.

[Edited on 7-21-2021 by SFandH]

Skipjack Joe - 7-20-2021 at 06:25 PM

If people want to play russian roulette with their lives that's their business. Those who got vaccinated are safe regardles what those people do. They only spread the disease among themselves.

The idea is to vaccinate enough people to the point the vaccine dies out before such a mutation occurs.

That train left the station. It's unlikely to ever happen. Ged's link talks about boosters and yearly innoculations.

To your point. The smaller the pool of carriers the longer it will take for new mutants to develop and we can stay ahead of the curve.

As I stated earlier: infections come from overseas and we have no control over their vaccinations.

SFandH - 7-20-2021 at 06:45 PM

Yeah, I see your point. It sounds a bit fatalistic, maybe rightly so. One thing is for sure, the unvaccinated people are now gaining immunity the hard way.

Skipjack Joe - 7-20-2021 at 07:33 PM

Yeah, I see your point. It sounds a bit fatalistic, maybe rightly so. One thing is for sure, the unvaccinated people are now gaining immunity the hard way.

Have you seen the worldmeter data for UK and Israel? It's kind of interesting. Both countries had their vaccinations done early and thoroughly. UK has a case load as high as it was at its peak but the death numbers have remained really small. Israel has remained low for both active cases and deaths. To me this suggests that Pfizer is a much better vaccine than Astra Zeneca. Unfortunately I suspect the Pfizer numbers will rise as well.

BTW, I had a Pfizer vaccine in the States after 2 doses of Sinovac (Chinese) in Baja and it kicked my ass. I barely had a reaction with Sinovac.

4x4abc - 7-20-2021 at 09:47 PM

Covid?
That is a Commie lie.
Party on Los Cabos!

corona spreading copy.jpg - 223kB

BajaMama - 7-21-2021 at 05:10 AM

That's not 100% true. People that get infected enable the virus to mutate while they are sick. Perhaps mutate in such a way that the current vaccines no longer work. The idea is to vaccinate enough people to the point the vaccine dies out before such a mutation occurs. To the point where it is gone. Like polio, smallpox, and other viruses that modern medicine has eliminated.

[Edited on 7-21-2021 by SFandH]

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head and are exactly correct.

pauldavidmena - 7-21-2021 at 06:52 AM

BCS Numbers updated through 7/20.

[Edited on 9-5-2021 by BajaNomad]

mtgoat666 - 7-21-2021 at 02:47 PM

July 21 (Reuters) - Life expectancy in the United States fell by a year and a half in 2020 to 77.3 years, the lowest level since 2003, primarily due to the deaths caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, a U.S. health agency said on Wednesday.

It is the biggest one-year decline since World War Two, when life expectancy fell 2.9 years between 1942 and 1943, and is six months shorter than its February 2021 estimate, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said.

motoged - 7-22-2021 at 08:14 AM

Haven't seen any recent posts on the trend of the Covid growth in La Paz. Anyone got the site to link to for that info? We seem to have fallen into the politics trap again.

It would be nice to pretend politics were not an issue with pandemic management....but the two issues are inseparable.

"Politics (from Greek: Πολιτικά, politiká, 'affairs of the cities') is the set of activities that are associated with making decisions in groups, or other forms of power relations between individuals, such as the distribution of resources or status. The branch of social science that studies politics and government is referred to as political science."

[Edited on 7-22-2021 by motoged]

SFandH - 7-22-2021 at 08:32 AM

Haven't seen any recent posts on the trend of the Covid growth in La Paz. Anyone got the site to link to for that info? We seem to have fallen into the politics trap again.

There are currently 838 active cases (hospitalizations) in La Paz.
Ten days ago there were 828, double the number of mid-June. Looks like the delta wave is leveling off. The peak was 1476 last August.

Current data.
https://coronavirus.bcs.gob.mx/casos-covid-19/

I don't think politics is an issue in Mexico when it comes to the pandemic. This thread should be clear of American politics.

[Edited on 7-22-2021 by SFandH]

SFandH - 7-22-2021 at 08:45 AM

There are currently 838 active cases (hospitalizations) in La Paz.
Ten days ago there were 828, double the number of mid-June. Looks like the delta wave is leveling off. The peak was 1476 last August.

Current data.
https://coronavirus.bcs.gob.mx/casos-covid-19/

Thanks for the update. We are monitoring this site hoping to plan to drive down. Seems we are on hold yet again due to continued land border closures. REALLY missing the chance to get back to the La Paz area and get settled in.

I post a spreadsheet every week or so that I've been keeping for over a year. It shows historical hospitalization data for the entire peninsula.

It quickly gets buried with opinion posts.

BTW, I'm not sure the peak was 1476. I spend the winter in BCS and I don't have easy access to the Internet. When I do get online I quickly take care of personal stuff and don't update the spreadsheet. The number was probably higher last winter.

[Edited on 7-22-2021 by SFandH]

SFandH - 7-22-2021 at 08:59 AM

And thanks so much for starting that spreadsheet. Has been the most helpful info we have located til now.

I'll post an updated version after the noise dies down.

Alm - 7-22-2021 at 06:23 PM

USA TODAY:
Quote:

An Alabama physician glumly says she is making "a lot of progress" in encouraging people to vaccinate – as she struggles to keep them alive.

Dr. Brytney Cobia, a hospitalist at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, wrote in a recent Facebook post she is treating a lot of young, otherwise healthy people for serious coronavirus infections.

"One of the last things they do before they're intubated is beg me for the vaccine," she wrote. "I hold their hand and tell them that I'm sorry, but it's too late.

"In her post, Cobia wrote that when a patient dies, she hugs their family members and urges them to get vaccinated. She said they cry and tell her they thought the pandemic was a "hoax," or "political," or targeting some other age group or skin color.

"They wish they could go back. But they can't," Cobia wrote. "So they thank me and they go get the vaccine.

They thought it was a hoax. No comments.

Baja Vicki M - 7-23-2021 at 07:04 AM

Cultural differences in terms of deaths from COVID - Most Mexican people WILL NOT go to the hospital until they are at death’s door, far past the point where medical intervention is helpful. Even beyond that, the idea of dying isolated in the hospital is repugnant. People will eschew medical care to die in the care of family and surrounded by family. My husband’s brother had it, and refused hospital care. He survived, despite compromised health, but was not going to opt for isolation while ill. This is a deeply embedded cultural value and is the primary reason for high death rates in Mexico. Read an article discussing this in a newspaper a while ago.

John Harper - 7-23-2021 at 07:13 AM

Here in the US it's a combination of willful ignorance, "owning the libs", lack of common sense, and just plan stupidity. That does seem to be a new cultural trait in 30% of our citizens, unfortunately.

John

mtgoat666 - 7-23-2021 at 08:17 AM

I personally am not surprised that more people are hesitant to receive the vaccine…

I know people who won’t get the vaccine, They a living examples of risky behavior: smokers, overweight, sedentary lifestyle. And they worry about a minuscule risk of vaccine, while living with huge risks of bad lifestyle choices. :lol::lol: people are stupid

JZ - 7-23-2021 at 08:28 AM

I know people who won’t get the vaccine, They a living examples of risky behavior: smokers, overweight, sedentary lifestyle. And they worry about a minuscule risk of vaccine, while living with huge risks of bad lifestyle choices. :lol::lol: people are stupid

You need to find better friends and associates. Everyone I know has gotten it.

John Harper - 7-23-2021 at 09:00 AM

I personally am not surprised that more people are hesitant to receive the vaccine…

Whereas the ones i know have a history of developing treatments that were not approved until they underwent the full 3 years of testing and then only after they were subjected to in depth scientific challenges by their peers when they presented them to symposiums and their results came under critical questioning. Science when it works best welcomes critical questioning, does not attempt to prevent it as we are seeing being applied at present.

Did you really want to wait three years for people to start getting vaccinated? Science does know a lot more about molecular biology and drug development than in the days of Edward Jenner, Alexander Fleming, or even Jonas Salk.

You can bet if Covid left people horribly scarred (smallpox), or partially paralyzed (polio) they'd be standing in line to get vaccinated.

John

[Edited on 7-23-2021 by John Harper]

SFandH - 7-23-2021 at 09:02 AM

Whereas the ones i know have a history of developing treatments that were not approved until they underwent the full 3 years of testing ..........

Clearly not possible when trying to stop a pandemic. But I suppose anybody that demands scientific rigor can wait three years to get vaccinated.......

I admire the scientists that developed these safe and effective vaccines in record time. Truly the heroes of the day.

John Harper - 7-23-2021 at 10:17 AM

One way or another we will get to Herd Immunity, at least for this present virus.

Not if this virus mutates again and again. That's why we don't have herd immunity for the flu or common cold. New strains evolve continuously.

We never got to "herd immunity" for smallpox or polio. They were eradicated through rigorous vaccination protocols.

John

[Edited on 7-23-2021 by John Harper]

4x4abc - 7-23-2021 at 11:23 AM

government published today - 108,000 of the 300,000+ in La Paz are vaccinated.
They are vaccinating 10,000 every day.
They are already in the 18+ years segment
looks good for vaccination

death rate at 15 per day right now
very high

no numbers for Los Cabos, very bad from what I hear from doctor friends
Delta at 85%
lotsa kids dying
party time is over

caj13 - 7-23-2021 at 01:09 PM

So JD - You wrote:
"Whereas the ones i know have a history of developing treatments that were not approved until they underwent the full 3 years of testing and then only after they were subjected to in depth scientific challenges by their peers when they presented them to symposiums and their results came under critical questioning. Science when it works best welcomes critical questioning, does not attempt to prevent it as we are seeing being applied at present."

There are very specific reasons these vaccines were developed tested and distributed on such a fast timetable - the science was NOT compromised.

First of all the process of developing MRNA vaccines is much shorter than traditional vaccines. conceptually very simple, get the DNA of the virus - we can do that literally overnight. Then because we know the RNA codes, essentially we can build a 3D computer model of the virus - again in a matter of hours,
From there the spike proteins are identified - they are the parts of the virus that allows it to attack your cells. Again, thats only a couple of days, maybe weeks if there are problems.

Because the vaccine is simply the RNA code to build a specific shaped protein (the spike protein) it can be quickly mass produced in labs in large amounts (conventional vaccines are traditionally grown in eggs, and it takes months).

You put that RNA into your body (the vaccine) - the cells there pick it up - read the code, and build the spike proteins - which at that stage are harmless - the rest of the virus is missing.

Once your immune system sees the spike proteins, it builds destroyer / inactivator cells to take out (attach and inactivate) the spike proteins. So now, when the virus does infect you, your immune system is pre-loaded - its looking for those spike proteins on the surface of the virus, and it attaches to them - so the virus cannot "dock to, and infect the cells of your body.

Huge amounts of time saved identifying the virus, and the process to develop is very simple and fast. The original stages of testing testing was about the same amount as previous vaccines in that stage of development - but the study groups were able to be filled up much faster because of many volunteers, so that sped up the process as well.

The process was shortcut in another way - Production. So the vaccines in the trials - instead of waiting for the end of the trials = they amped up production immediately - so as soon as it got emergency approval, it was ready to ship. If the trial went badly - obviously the production run would have been destroyed.

full approval of the vaccine will be within 1 or 2 months tops. data are showing it to be very effective, and safer than most other vaccines currently approved and available.

Just as an aside, once that full approval comes, then you will have to make a decision - because at that point - companies, - organizations - schools - public events - etc - they can each legally require vaccines to participate.
So your "personal freedom" choice becomes - OK I can't go to the bar, or to the footbal game, or wherever because I'm not vaccinated - but thats my choice!

[Edited on 7-23-2021 by caj13]

John Harper - 7-23-2021 at 01:18 PM

It's not just the 1950's "Beaver Cleaver" culture these people long for, it's also pre-DNA science.

Wind, Earth, Fire, and Water. The four elements of nature. All disease is caused by evil spirits and vapors. Eat your fruits and vegetables, get plenty of fresh air. That's all there is to it. What's the problem?

John

RFClark - 7-23-2021 at 01:28 PM

John,

I’ve got 2 words for you! Waldorf Schools! That’s where the “better educated Liberal anti-vaxers sent their unvaccinated kids pre COVID! Were they looking for “The Beaver” too?

Talk about the “Public Good” is cheap! P.S. most Like Clinton, Obama and Biden never served either!

AKgringo - 7-23-2021 at 02:02 PM

A 1950s TV show; https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050032/

RFClark - 7-23-2021 at 02:08 PM

AK,

The show was “Leave it to Beaver” The “Beaver’s” family name was Cleaver

SFandH - 7-23-2021 at 02:35 PM

This thread is being destroyed.

Here's the title guys:

Ateo - 7-23-2021 at 03:51 PM

This thread is being destroyed.

Here's the title guys:

This website has no moderator. It continues to be the Wild West of Baja. Things go way off topic often.That is the nature of Baja Nomad. The personality. The essence. It's a bummer, yes.

SFandH - 7-23-2021 at 10:01 PM

https://www.gob.mx/salud/prensa/307-proximo-lunes-entra-en-v...

Next Monday, July 26, the update of the Epidemic Risk Traffic Light will take effect until Sunday, August 8. Three entities will be in green, 15 in yellow, 13 in orange and one in red, in accordance with the new risk measurement guideline agreed by the Ministry of Health, the state governments and Mexico City.

Aguascalientes, Chiapas and Coahuila will be in green, while Baja California, Campeche, Chihuahua, Durango, Guanajuato, Michoacán, Morelos, Puebla, Querétaro, San Luis Potosí, Sonora, Tabasco, Tlaxcala, Yucatán and Zacatecas, in yellow.

The entities that will be in orange for the next two weeks are Baja California Sur, Mexico City, Colima, State of Mexico, Guerrero Hidalgo, Jalisco, Nayarit, Nuevo León, Oaxaca, Quintana Roo, Tamaulipas and Veracruz, while Sinaloa is the only state that will be in red.

Regarding the advance in vaccination, with a cut-off of 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 22, one million 376 thousand 213 doses were applied, for a cumulative of 58 million 249 thousand 143 biologicals since December 24, 2020.

In Mexico, 40 million 632 thousand 434 people have received at least one dose of the vaccine, of which 23 million 121 thousand 276, representing 57 percent of the immunized population, have a complete scheme of one or two doses.

The remaining 43 percent, which are 17 million 511 thousand 158 people, represent new vaccination schemes.

In our country, 45 percent of the adult population has been vaccinated and the entities that report the greatest progress in immunization are Baja California, Baja California Sur, Mexico City and Chihuahua, with more than two-thirds of the population.

============

There's more.....

[Edited on 7-24-2021 by SFandH]

bajario - 7-24-2021 at 03:56 AM

Man I miss the trip reports, the stories and wit of Pompano, Osprey and Dennis amongst others.
I miss my family and myself unwinding in Baja.
We're vax'ed but we're going to wait it out.
It's not going anywhere.

Bajaboy - 7-24-2021 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajario  
Man I miss the trip reports, the stories and wit of Pompano, Osprey and Dennis amongst others.
It's not going anywhere.

You can easily stay away from others here and still support the economy depending on how you travel. Sadly the dregs that argue here have no life.

Alm - 7-24-2021 at 10:57 PM

The entities that will be in orange for the next two weeks are Baja California Sur, Mexico City, Colima, State of Mexico, Guerrero Hidalgo, Jalisco, Nayarit, Nuevo León, Oaxaca, Quintana Roo, Tamaulipas and Veracruz, while Sinaloa is the only state that will be in red.

In our country, 45 percent of the adult population has been vaccinated and the entities that report the greatest progress in immunization are Baja California, Baja California Sur, Mexico City and Chihuahua, with more than two-thirds of the population.

============

There's more.....

[Edited on 7-24-2021 by SFandH][/rquote]

Thanks for that very hopeful news. With vaccination rates so very high, why is the number of remaining cases also high? I suspect it may be related to the initial vaccines being the less effective Synovax, and thankfully the newest appear to be almost all Pfizer or Moderna. Rapid decline in cases should be right around the corner.

[Edited on 7-24-2021 by JDCanuck]

45% of adults, not total population. The gobierno don't tell whether this is 45% fully or partially vaccinated. I think 45% partially. This source reports 18% fully and 14% partially, i.e. 32% of TOTAL population vaccinated at least partially: https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/health/global-covid-vac...

As to the reasons for surge in cases, it's likely due to the variants. Phizer and Moderna are 88% effective against Delta after 2 doses. Only 18% of population got 2 doses, this is nothing. After 1 dose it's half as effective. Astrazeneca (2 doses) and J-J (single-dose vaccine) are weaker yet against Delta. Sinovac is Chinese, they bragging that it protects from Delta, never provided any data on this (why am I not surprised) but it was only 65% effective against the original alpha variant, so must be weaker yet against Delta.

pauldavidmena - 7-25-2021 at 07:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

You can easily stay away from others here and still support the economy depending on how you travel. Sadly the dregs that argue here have no life.

We usually visit Todos Santos every February but skipped this past year and are weighing our options for next year. We were able to support a local artist by purchasing a fairly significant painting that is now hanging up in our living room, bringing a little bit of Baja to Cape Cod.

pauldavidmena - 7-25-2021 at 07:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajario  
It's not going anywhere.

I got to know Osprey (George Bergin) fairly well during the last few years of his life. He was truly one of a kind.

JZ - 7-25-2021 at 02:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

We usually visit Todos Santos every February but skipped this past year and are weighing our options for next year. We were able to support a local artist by purchasing a fairly significant painting that is now hanging up in our living room, bringing a little bit of Baja to Cape Cod.

Nice painting. If you are vaccinated you really should go. If you want stay clear of ppl for extra safety. Life is short and tomorrow is not promised.

John Harper - 7-25-2021 at 02:41 PM

If you are vaccinated you really should go. If you want stay clear of ppl for extra safety. Life is short and tomorrow is not promised.

Even vaccinated people are testing positive. Travel could be dangerous to others, especially your MAGA associates. Your choices can endanger others. That's kind of what this whole thing is about, if you can recall.

Your purchase of gas, a few fish tacos, and measly 5% tipping will not save the Mexican, American, nor world economy. Eradicating covid will.

John

Alm - 7-25-2021 at 03:57 PM

One set is about graphene in masks and vaccines. Graphene is a relatively new, exotic material made out of carbon, and the other set is about breakthrough infections/illnesses.

It's not clear that graphene is something to worry about but breakthrough infections certainly are.

Some Chinese companies have been known to use graphene. This and other warnings about masks are for people who wear it all day long. Retiree spending time outdoors in unpopulated area, going indoors only for shopping or doctor's visit, can afford to (and should) use N95 mask. Buy 3M, they are high standard, no graphene there. I usually air it on the shelf for a few days before putting it on. Get 3, rotate one each day for natural disinfecting - the virus dies after 40-50 hours on the shelf. Don't carry it in your pocket when not in use, to avoid fibres breaking and bacteria growth - however, I haven't come up with a good solution other than putting it in a small empty daypack.

About breakthrough cases. If you look at the numbers, there were 600 such cases in the Mass in a week (rise from 4,500 to 5,100). Their daily cases - mostly among unvaccinated, of course - are 600 a day. Probably was 6,000 a day before they began the vaccination campaign. Possible reason - variants. Also, some people don't use commons sense, they stop taking precautions right after the 1st shot - nope, it takes 2 weeks for antibodies to develop. Some were probably infected when they came to get the shot - restrictions have been lifted, people are celebrating, so this is the price.

[Edited on 7-25-2021 by Alm]

Lee - 7-25-2021 at 03:58 PM

If you are vaccinated you really should go. If you want stay clear of ppl for extra safety. Life is short and tomorrow is not promised.

Lets make sense. Paul says he usually goes South in February and is planning for next year. NEXT YEAR? And JZ jumps on it and sez ''you really should go.'' Go next year?

Hey Paul. It's wishful thinking planning anything right now. You'll really be planning an 11th hour escape at the end of the year or longer.

And then there's the local attitude. Any bets on what the locals in Bocana or Asuncion will think if you show up next week? You guys are a riot.

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  15