BajaNomad

San Quintin Beach Hotel

TedZark - 7-4-2020 at 08:46 AM

I have forgotten the name of the hotel on the beach near San Quintin that used to be a government hotel? What is it?

How would you compare that to staying at Jardins ? I have a friend visiting from abroad that I would like to show a nice day in that area (after a couple days at Rancho El Coyote).

Please share the name or URL if possible. We need WIFI to keep in touch with business interests (after two days offline at El Coyote), but just email - doesn't need to be super broadband.

Gracias!

[Edited on 7-5-2020 by TedZark]

Howard - 7-4-2020 at 08:53 AM

If it's the place I am thinking about the names have changed and it is now Mission Santa Maria. Maybe at one time the La Pinta.

https://www.misionsantamariahoteles.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g499404-...

David K - 7-4-2020 at 08:54 AM

San Quintín.

It has been called these names:

Hotel El Presidente, opened in 1974 just after the Transpeninsular Highway did.

La Pinta

Desert Inn

Misión Santa María

motoged - 7-4-2020 at 08:56 AM

Better food at El Jardin....better view at "La Pinta"

TedZark - 7-4-2020 at 09:01 AM

Perfect. BajaNomad to the rescue. Thank you.

BajaBlanca - 7-4-2020 at 12:19 PM

We stayed at the Mission and were so happy there.

motoged - 7-4-2020 at 01:21 PM

El Jardin has soul, great room prices and rooms and food next door... Santa MariaMission la pinta (whatever) has the beach.

I would choose El Jardin again next time although can't go wrong with either.....pick la pinta ro sleep and walk and eat at Jardin :light:

TedZark - 7-4-2020 at 03:07 PM

I've stayed at Jardins a couple times, but never at Santa Maria - how do you get out there?

SFandH - 7-4-2020 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
I've stayed at Jardins a couple times, but never at Santa Maria - how do you get out there?

Turn west at the large Los Pinos Pemex a bit south of San Quintin. A couple of miles, on south side.

David K - 7-4-2020 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Turn west at the large Los Pinos Pemex a bit south of San Quintin. A couple of miles, on south side.

This is Km. 11... the road to the hotel is paved and 3 miles in. The Cielito Lindo motel/ bar/ cracked crab dinners is also reached off this road.

TedZark - 7-4-2020 at 05:47 PM

Gracias!

motoged - 7-4-2020 at 11:40 PM

Ted,
I dare you to go to Cielito Lindo for Happy Hour....

TedZark - 7-5-2020 at 04:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Ted,
I dare you to go to Cielito Lindo for Happy Hour....

because...

TedZark - 7-5-2020 at 04:59 AM

I just want to know. Are there super margaritas? Dancing girls? Dancing margaritas?

KasloKid - 7-5-2020 at 08:59 AM

The bartender is very generous with the tequila in his margaritas... I dare you to say to the bartender "mucho tequila por favor". I made that mistake once..... The following day was messed up as far as off-road riding ability was concerned

TedZark - 7-5-2020 at 09:37 AM

I'll keep your advice in mind. Perhaps not in spirit though.

elgatoloco - 7-5-2020 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
The bartender is very generous with the tequila in his margaritas... I dare you to say to the bartender "mucho tequila por favor". I made that mistake once..... The following day was messed up as far as off-road riding ability was concerned

Not all 'tequilas' are created equal. One of the earliest lessons I learned in Baja was to 'call' your tequila. The Rosarito Beach Hotel circa 1976 had live band and $5.00 cover got you two drink coupons. "Margarita's" served up in a champagne glass. I was the designated driver so I would only drink one. I am a big guy so I would get a good buzz but always chased with agua con gas. Anyone of my friends, girlfriends and seemingly anyone else who drank the second one would be wasted. It got to the point that when I would take friends I would take their money and tell them they got ONE drink ticket and after that they had to buy their own beers. I watched the bartender and noticed that the 'tequila' being used was of the rotgut cane liquor no name variety typically in a plastic bottle. I took to calling it embalming fluid. I also observed the same phenomenon at other bars all over Baja, including Cielito Lindo. If you don't call you don't know what you are going to get and chances are it's lesser quality 'mixto'. Things are a bit different in this century but I still see call because I still see some weird looking bottles behind the bar at same places. Having said all that if you have 3-4-5 margarita's with quality tequila you may still have a date with the porcelain throne.
Moderation in all things. :saint:

TedZark - 7-5-2020 at 11:22 AM

Well, if I am conquering the "porcelain throne" I want only the best!

Not really. Usually three, puts me to sleep.

Memories from Cielito Lindo

John M - 7-5-2020 at 01:34 PM

A long departed Baja buddy, Dennis Moody, and I were returning from La Paz having helped mark the Baja 1000 back in the very early 80s. We got separated from the guys with the money and figured that we needed a stop. We were nearly broke, but always a few pesos for a margarita saved up. We sat down in the bar at Cielito Lindo, wondering how we'd get enough Pemex to make the border - who is also sitting there - none other than Coco. I had know him from a couple of years earlier in Ensenada at the campground there. He graciously loaned us $40 - plenty in those years for gasolina to make Chula Vista, and he bought our Maggies besides.

John M

KasloKid - 7-5-2020 at 11:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

Not all 'tequilas' are created equal. One of the earliest lessons I learned in Baja was to 'call' your tequila. The Rosarito Beach Hotel circa 1976 had live band and $5.00 cover got you two drink coupons. "Margarita's" served up in a champagne glass. I was the designated driver so I would only drink one. I am a big guy so I would get a good buzz but always chased with agua con gas. Anyone of my friends, girlfriends and seemingly anyone else who drank the second one would be wasted. It got to the point that when I would take friends I would take their money and tell them they got ONE drink ticket and after that they had to buy their own beers. I watched the bartender and noticed that the 'tequila' being used was of the rotgut cane liquor no name variety typically in a plastic bottle. I took to calling it embalming fluid. I also observed the same phenomenon at other bars all over Baja, including Cielito Lindo. If you don't call you don't know what you are going to get and chances are it's lesser quality 'mixto'. Things are a bit different in this century but I still see call because I still see some weird looking bottles behind the bar at same places. Having said all that if you have 3-4-5 margarita's with quality tequila you may still have a date with the porcelain throne.
Moderation in all things. :saint:

Thanks for your cautions and take on having a good time.
I've spent more than a few years owing a hotel with a busy bar and if I was being served cane liqour or mixto, I'd know it. We'd always ask for top shelf tequila and start off with a shooter, then a marg or 5 with the same tequila. No bottle lime juice.... fresh squeezed limes. Should'a stopped after 3....

David K - 7-6-2020 at 07:25 AM

If you want an overly-strong margarita, you will want to include those made at El Palomar Bar in Santo Tomás and Mike's Sky Rancho!

TedZark - 7-6-2020 at 08:22 AM

What? Fake News! There is no such thing as
"an overly-strong margarita" ! Ban that writer!

El Palomar Bar? Is that in the building at the petrol station or where in that small town?

There is no "there" in Santo Tomas

thebajarunner - 7-6-2020 at 09:36 AM

El Palomar Bar? Is that in the building at the petrol station or where in that small town?

Last year when we drove through the El Palomar is the town

David K - 7-6-2020 at 09:49 AM

Yes, in the restaurant is where you find the bar. Km. 50, same building as the curio store.

When a margarita is almost pure tequila, it shouldn't be called a margarita... just a giant shot with lime and salt! Roy, The Squarecircle, raved about it and it is he who took Elizabeth and me there in 2007.

KasloKid - 7-6-2020 at 10:12 AM

IMHO, the El Palomar bar margs are not made with good quality alcohol.
The best margs I've had in Baja were served at the Costa del Sol (Bay of LA). Veronica serves up a quality marg. Even Herman Hill agreed with that statement!!

DanO - 7-6-2020 at 10:53 AM

La Fonda in La Mision deserves credit for some good margs (Matteo can confirm). Only problem is that you have to get back out on the highway afterwards. I have some friends who'd stop there on their way to my place, and they'd walk in my door yelling "comin' in hot!" :o

[Edited on 7-6-2020 by DanO]

motoged - 7-6-2020 at 11:11 AM

The best margs I've had in Baja were served at the Costa del Sol (Bay of LA). Veronica serves up a quality marg. Even Herman Hill agreed with that statement!!

Costa del Sol uses a commercial lime mix for their margs ( or did over 20 years of staying there) .... :o
Never saw a real lime used except for garnish.

One 6-week Baja ride required a local marg happy hour tour of each town.... THE winner was in Mulege at the small restaurant/hotel down the street from La Hacienda ... the La Casitas.

Simple but proven:

- Juice of 3 small limes
- Shot of tequila with equal shot of Controy (size of shot is your
discretion...real Cointreau or Grand Marnier if you prefer)
- shot of sugar water (bar recipe .... or a bit of Squirt/Fresca....but
not too much....some folks use more Controy for sweetness)
- amount of ice shouldn't be too much....

Tested and approved by TMW and SquareCircle in Bahia Asuncion with no complaints (that I heard).:coolup:

KasloKid - 7-6-2020 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
I've spent more than a few years owing a hotel with a busy bar...
So did you eventually pay up, or they finally kick you out of the bar? :cool:

Running a bar isn't as easy as it looks... we paid our dues, trust me on that!!
We knew it was time to get out of the business when we sold :lol:

David K - 7-6-2020 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
I've spent more than a few years owing a hotel with a busy bar...
So did you eventually pay up, or they finally kick you out of the bar? :cool:

Running a bar isn't as easy as it looks... we paid our dues, trust me on that!!
We knew it was time to get out of the business when we sold :lol:

Watched plenty of John Taffer doing Bar Rescues to see that!

AKgringo - 7-6-2020 at 05:22 PM

Some times just the lack of an "n" can make the difference between owing the bar, and owning the bar!

KurtG - 7-6-2020 at 07:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Costa del Sol uses a commercial lime mix for their margs ( or did over 20 years of staying there) .... :o
Never saw a real lime used except for garnish.

One 6-week Baja ride required a local marg happy hour tour of each town.... THE winner was in Mulege at the small restaurant/hotel down the street from La Hacienda ... the La Casitas.:coolup:

Ged,
Way back in the day, 1970's and 80's, Las Casitas was owned by a great lady named Cuca Woodworth. A native Mulegena whose family, the Gorosaves, were the long time owners of the place. The house drink back then was the Mangorita, a wonderful and refreshing and quite potent concoction that I sometimes enjoyed to excess. Fortunately my house, which I rented from Cuca's brother Alan Gorosave, was only about 50 yards away on the street behind the Las Casitas. Good times. At The Hacienda Alfonso Cuesta made a VERY good Margarita.

elgatoloco - 7-6-2020 at 10:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
La Fonda in La Mision deserves credit for some good margs (Matteo can confirm). Only problem is that you have to get back out on the highway afterwards. I have some friends who'd stop there on their way to my place, and they'd walk in my door yelling "comin' in hot!" :o

[Edited on 7-6-2020 by DanO]

If I had a nickle for every La Fonda margarita I have enjoyed...........the food was sometimes hit or miss over the decades but the bartenders were always spectacular. :saint:

My very first margarita was at Medio Camino when I was 16. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was hooked from the start.

KasloKid - 7-6-2020 at 11:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Some times just the lack of an "n" can make the difference between owing the bar, and owning the bar!

Oops..... sorry for the misspell.

motoged - 7-6-2020 at 11:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  

Ged,
Way back in the day, 1970's and 80's, Las Casitas was owned by a great lady named Cuca Woodworth. A native Mulegena whose family, the Gorosaves, were the long time owners of the place. The house drink back then was the Mangorita, a wonderful and refreshing and quite potent concoction that I sometimes enjoyed to excess. Fortunately my house, which I rented from Cuca's brother Alan Gorosave, was only about 50 yards away on the street behind the Las Casitas. Good times. At The Hacienda Alfonso Cuesta made a VERY good Margarita.

Kurt,
My first time in Mulege was 1999.....Hacienda had a pig roast event for cave painting aficionados and scholars...

I love Mulege....favourite Baja town :saint:

[Edited on 7-7-2020 by motoged]

BigBearRider - 7-8-2020 at 06:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
San Quintín.

It has been called these names:

Hotel El Presidente, opened in 1974 just after the Transpeninsular Highway did.

La Pinta

Desert Inn

Misión Santa María

Was the Desert Inn in Loreto part of the El Presidente chain?

elgatoloco - 7-8-2020 at 07:48 AM

yes

David K - 7-8-2020 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
yes

:light:
Thanks Matt!

BajaMama - 7-8-2020 at 09:45 AM

Stayed at El Presidenté in 1987. Was nice place but very quiet. When we started heading to Baja again in 2003, we would stay the night at Cielito Lindo. Rusty water showers and strongest margueritas ever. Good food if I remember. Once Baja Cactus opened it was out go-to stop-over.