BajaNomad

Roadblocks in Diaz Ordáz, near San Quintín

Archie - 7-6-2020 at 06:20 PM

About two hours ago there have been reports on roadblocks on Hwy 1, near Diaz Ordaz close to Colonet, and some vehicles have been set on fire by the protestors.

thebajarunner - 7-6-2020 at 06:55 PM

That is pretty serious stuff
I thought I had seen it all, but seeing my truck go up in flames would add a whole new dimension to the "Baja Experience"

So, what do you do at that point?
Try to find a gun?
Hop on the bus for the border?

Scary just to think about it....

MexicoTed - 7-6-2020 at 07:27 PM

Is this over a land dispute or wages? It's not because of coronavirus is it?

mtgoat666 - 7-6-2020 at 07:27 PM

What are they protesting? Labor strife?

thebajarunner - 7-7-2020 at 03:55 PM

Couple years back they had a huge strike down there and blocked hwy 1 for days.
We were in LABay, tracking the situation.
Finally came home via San Felipe on the dirt road (which is more fun anyway)
Camping near Coco's for the night you could hear the Los Pinos semis grinding by all night long on the dirt road
They obviously were not trying to run the blockade.

pacificobob - 7-7-2020 at 04:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
I thought I had seen it all, but seeing my truck go up in flames would add a whole new dimension to the "Baja Experience"

Try to find a gun?

GUN?? if speaking and reading the local language was in your skill set you wouldn't need to ask. perhaps staying in California would be a strategy that would work for you.

[Edited on 7-7-2020 by pacificobob]

pacificobob - 7-7-2020 at 04:13 PM

management boning labor???? shocking. thats why labor unions exist.
enjoy weekends? thank labor unions...their invention. go unions!

Whoa, WHo appointed you chief village idiot??

thebajarunner - 7-7-2020 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Try to find a gun?

GUN?? if speaking and reading the local language was in your skill set you wouldn't need to ask. perhaps staying in California would be a strategy that would work for you.

I will put my communication skills, my Baja experience and my contacts up against you any day, dude.....

My query was rhetorical, obviously that escaped your mental capacity....

Been going to Mexico long enough to understand the rules, the limits, and most important not to carry a gun down there.
For that matter, I don't carry a gun up here either.
They all stay in the closet and the nightstand, not in my traveling kit.

shari - 7-8-2020 at 11:24 AM

they werent burning random vehicles but I understood they were vehicles of the company that is abusing the workers.

RFClark - 7-8-2020 at 12:11 PM

We live where there are Bears, so Bear Spray!

RFClark - 7-8-2020 at 07:38 PM

I’m not planning on doing anything hostile. I worked a lot of years in Mexico! Also not planning on getting hijacked! And you definitely can’t carry a gun! I’ve had people with guns jump out of the bushes a number of times over the years! So far all of them have been military or police! I think it’s more likely I’ll use it in the U.S. rather than Mexico! I did have a bear crash into my care once in the U.S.

pacificobob - 7-9-2020 at 10:42 AM

posts like this remind me that a number of gringos are frightened of Mexico and Mexicans. i was discussing this story with a neighbor this morning...he found it very humorous that a farm labor protest had gringos talking guns and pepper spray. me too.

Lee - 7-9-2020 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
posts like this remind me that a number of gringos are frightened of Mexico and Mexicans. i was discussing this story with a neighbor this morning...he found it very humorous that a farm labor protest had gringos talking guns and pepper spray. me too.

NO ONE is talking about guns and pepper spray. The comments were said to be rhetorical, not literal. Anyone thinking this is reality and some gringoes are arming themselves is spreading misinformation.

pacificobob - 7-9-2020 at 12:43 PM

perhaps i read it incorrectly. i thought there was mention of guns and pepper spray above.