BajaNomad

Reno to Los Barriles trip report

ranpar01 - 7-10-2020 at 03:52 PM

Trip started from Reno NV on June 26. We left in the wee hours and made it to El Centro by that evening, about 10 hours. Not a lot was open in El Centro due to COVID, but we got some take out dinner from Olive Garden which was near our hotel (Hampton Inn). Crossed early morning June 27th at Mexicali and headed down the 5.

Getting through Mexicali was fast but a bit of a chit show. I went through 'nothing to declare' and got the green light but they waived me over anyway. Dude glanced at all the stuff I had (all used, mostly camping stuff and clothes - really nothing that wasn't exempt) but he wanted to write it up anyway. He wrote 840 pesos on a paper and pointed to where i could pay. he didn't look in a single bag or box, just pulled that number out of his ass. Since it was low I just paid it and got our FMM's so we could be on our way. I saw the line was stacking up and didn't want to argue and delay things.

Once past Mexicali it was smooth sailing. Hwy 5 is brand new and we made great time. Hit the normal military check points and local municipal police checkpoint at San Felipe. All the checkpoints asked about beer and did check the cooler. The San Felipe stop they took our temps but pretty much waived through. We made it to Guerro Negro that evening around 4 PM. I was worried about getting that far but really had no issues. A few days later I heard more COVID check points went up so your times may vary.

On the last day we drove from GN through La Paz and into Los Barriles. We hit one sketchy military checkpoint just past GN. All the other military checkpoints had been staffed by 6-10 guys and had a very official look about them. This checkpoint was just two guys (in Army uniforms) with an orange flag like you'd see in a construction zone. The car in front of us thought it was sketchy too because they waited for us to come up and then we were both there together, which I think was good. They asked what we had to drink and took two Monster Energy drinks for themselves. There was a weird pause where they just looked at us and I was waiting for the OK to go. Finally I just said 'Gracias' and got back in the drivers seat and left. The car in front had waited for us, thank you! This could have been a legit stop or could have been two army guys on a day off trying to shake down tourists. They didn't ask for any money so I'm guessing it was legit or we just weren't the right targets.

All in all, very lucky we got through before the COVID checks started up - i have heard 2-7 hour delays at Mexicali after we rolled through. Safe travels everyone.

JZ - 7-10-2020 at 03:59 PM

Why were they askimg about beer?

SFandH - 7-10-2020 at 04:23 PM

Good to hear they're still issuing tourist permits. Tourists are essential!

vacaenbaja - 7-11-2020 at 04:49 PM

Beer production in Mexico had stopped for a bit maybe the towns around there
were still short?

motoged - 7-12-2020 at 01:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

OP said nothing about beer : "They asked what we had to drink and took two Monster Energy drinks for themselves."

Just thirsty?

KasloKid - 7-12-2020 at 01:55 PM

"All the checkpoints asked about beer and did check the cooler"

I've been asked a few times at checkpoints when it's really hot if I had any beer... hint, hint...

SFandH - 7-12-2020 at 02:04 PM

They always check my cooler. Of course, it's always within easy access. :cool:

I miss stuff too, it happens!

David K - 7-12-2020 at 04:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

OP said nothing about beer : "They asked what we had to drink and took two Monster Energy drinks for themselves."

Just thirsty?

Quote: Originally posted by ranpar01  
Hit the normal military check points and local municipal police checkpoint at San Felipe. All the checkpoints asked about beer and did check the cooler.

motoged - 7-12-2020 at 08:04 PM

Whoops....my mistake :(

CaboHenry - 7-13-2020 at 10:43 AM

Thanks for the trip report ranpar01. That south of GN stop does sound a little fishy but great to hear it was all uneventful. The Cortes route (Hwy 5) is fabulous. Almost feels like you're cheating when making the drive to BCS. It's better than ever. Hope they keep it maintained. Stay safe!