BajaNomad

Mascara en Baja?

AKgringo - 7-12-2020 at 10:53 AM

Out of boredom, I looked for the term for "mask" in Spanish. From what I found, it seems that a full mask is mascara and the surgical type that are part of the current dress code is called mascarilla.

From those who are riding out this epidemic in Baja, what is the term being used where you are? Also, what are any other common terms being used for items or issues associated with this plague?

Don Pisto - 7-12-2020 at 11:09 AM

cubrebocas used everywhere in rosarito

[Edited on 7-12-2020 by Don Pisto]

AKgringo - 7-12-2020 at 11:36 AM

Cubrebocas.....mouth covers? Makes sense, thanks!

Latin roots help

AKgringo - 7-12-2020 at 12:10 PM

I am high jacking my own thread now, but I wish I had spent more time learning Latin root words, they connect so many words in other languages.

For instance, I was able to remember the Spanish work for deer Venado by associating it with Venison.

If anyone wants to continue the highjack with word association, feel free!

Howard - 7-12-2020 at 01:01 PM

How bored are you?

Here you go.

https://www.learnthat.org/pages/view/roots.html

RnR - 7-12-2020 at 01:51 PM

Definitely "cubreboca" in Baja.

Mascara means "mask" but is more appropriately used in reference to a complete face covering or disguise, as in a Halloween mask.

Interestingly enough, the exact same word "mascara" is used in the United States for cosmetics that 'hide/disguise' your natural face .....

RnR - 7-12-2020 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by RnR  
Definitely "cubreboca" in Baja.

Mascara means "mask"

In the interests of purity and truth,

"máscara requires an accent mark;

Exactly right !

Just can not figure out how to type an accent mark on a Chromebook. Any help out there?

(On my Windows laptop it is easy. Just use the International keyboard)

(And I do not need to know about the Control characters/ASCII code numbers. They do not work on a Chromebook, either)

del mar - 7-12-2020 at 02:57 PM

El Mask-O

pauldavidmena - 7-12-2020 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am high jacking my own thread now,
And I can think of no one more eminently qualified to do so! :lol:

But returning to the original topic, this might help (back it down to speed of 75% if it overruns you):

This video demonstrates that "cubrebocas" is only half correct. One should "cubrenariz" as well. :)

RnR - 7-13-2020 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  
Just can not figure out how to type an accent mark on a Chromebook. Any help out there?

Yeah, I'm on a Chromebook right now; you can go into the keyboard settings and set it up with the U.S. International keyboard which creates dead key behavior for accents and ñ just like in Windows. On mine it's Settings -> Advanced -> Languages and Input -> Input Method.

That layout also gives you inverted punctuation ¿¡!? with the right ALT key plus the question or exclamation key.

I haven't used the standard U.S. keyboard map for probably 15 years and don't miss it one little bit.

Got it! Thanks for the hint!

á é í ó ú ñ ¿ ¡ :):)

BajaBlanca - 7-13-2020 at 02:05 PM

Well, I did not realize it is cubrebocas in the plural. Gracias for splainin!