BajaNomad

Comet NEOWISE

thebajarunner - 7-19-2020 at 12:21 PM

Heads up, comet is getting higher in the sky and brighter
We saw it clearly last night here in Central California
Wednesday is the closest it will be to earth,
every evening it gets a bit higher in the sky

Easy to locate.
Find the Big Dipper. It is basically standing straight upright now in the evening sky
Directly under the Dipper is the comet and it will be climbing all week up and along the left side of the Dipper.
Here in our gritty summer valley skies you need binocs to locate, but then you can see it a bit with or without.
In clear Baja skies, along the coast, should be amazing views!!
Great long tail extending upward.

Good viewing!! Enjoy!!

del mar - 7-19-2020 at 12:23 PM

I've been going out last couple nights in rosarito lookin for it......nothing yet:(

elgatoloco - 7-19-2020 at 01:13 PM

We live at the coast and the marine layer last few nights has interfered. We did see it last Monday , Tuesday and Wednesday from Mt. Soledad. Tonight we will head inland a see what we can see. If you don't catch it this time around you can see it again in 8020, roughly. :saint:

https://earthsky.org/space/how-to-see-comet-c2020-f3-neowise

Ken Cooke - 7-19-2020 at 02:40 PM

I am going to the desert tonight to look at it through my telescope.

thebajarunner - 7-19-2020 at 04:38 PM

Ken,
With a good horizon and a pair of binocs you will have no problem finding it.
About 45 minutes past sunset, right under the Dipper

You guys at the border are about 5 degrees below us. I figured that the comet was sitting at about 10 degrees up from the horizon here at my home last night so you will be closer to 5 degrees

As the week goes along it should rise, and be a bit brighter.

Still a good view, assuming clear skies and nothing blocking your horizon view

Let us know how it works.....

mtgoat666 - 7-19-2020 at 04:43 PM

Seeing it every night here in the pac nw... have to wait until about 1.5 hrs after sunset to get dark enough sky to view easily with naked eye, can see with binocs about 1/2 hr after sunset

This from the guy who rages at others who travel

thebajarunner - 7-19-2020 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Seeing it every night here in the pac nw... have to wait until about 1.5 hrs after sunset to get dark enough sky to view easily with naked eye, can see with binocs about 1/2 hr after sunset

Posting from AZ, NorCal sandwich shop and now the NW.
And also raging against others who might dare to set foot on the road during the COVID mess

Hmmmmmmmm....... I guess that fits.

mtgoat666 - 7-19-2020 at 06:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Posting from AZ, NorCal sandwich shop and now the NW.
And also raging against others who might dare to set foot on the road during the COVID mess

Hmmmmmmmm....... I guess that fits.

Fed leadership (trump and his gop senate lap dogs) basically said “flock it, do what you want, you are on your own.” So we are doing what we want. While avoiding the public, wearing mask when necessary to be among the infected public, and using hand sanitizer after being amongst the unclean.

Ken Cooke - 7-19-2020 at 11:06 PM

This evening, I drove out to Palm Springs but the sky was not dark enough and it was 98°F at 9 pm. Maybe, I will try again on Tuesday from Joshua Tree National Park where I know the sky is much darker.

BajaBlanca - 7-19-2020 at 11:29 PM

We saw it here in La Bocana very clearly 2 nights ago. Absolutely mind boggling how big it is. I used binoculars even though I could roughly see it with my naked eye. We were told to look at just before 10 pm, which would be 9 pm in California.

David K - 7-20-2020 at 07:46 AM

Saw it again last night, about 9:30, but it is very dim. Perhaps because it is so low in the sky and the light goes through more moisture that obscures the brightness? This is with the naked eye. Binoculars would make it easy, I am sure.

Comet Neowise.jpg - 18kB

Comet 2020.jpg - 39kB

[Edited on 7-20-2020 by David K]

David K - 7-20-2020 at 07:56 AM

Photo last night (July 19) taken in Colorado by Nomad 'BillB'

Comet photo BBryant.jpg - 13kB

RFClark - 7-20-2020 at 11:04 AM

We saw it last night there’s a lot of spill light even well East of LA 90mi! Faintly visible to the eye and very visible with binoculars. 8:50P.M. is a good time. The road from Banning to Idlewild at 4000’-5000’ up is a good place.

El Jefe - 7-20-2020 at 11:45 AM

I couldn't see it last night down here on the near east cape. Now that I know where to look relative to the big dipper I'll try again tonight.

El Jefe - 7-21-2020 at 05:57 AM

We could see it last night around 9:30 from clear down here at the tip. An hour later it was obscured by low clouds. Funny how folks I've talked with are expecting to see the comet flashing across the sky when it really appears to just sit there. All a matter of perspective.

caj13 - 7-21-2020 at 08:14 AM

saw it last night from my house, above fresno , central Ca. but i live up in the mountains, no light pollution. looked like a smudge with the naked eye, pulled out my spotting scope, pretty spectacular through that. tried digiscoping, but phones not good enough - or alternately, operator error.

shari - 7-21-2020 at 07:33 PM

we have been comet watching the last few days here in the dark skies of Bahia Asuncion and it is soooo beautiful...we can see it with the naked eye to the NW just when it's getting dark but with binoculars it is super coooooool!!!

BajaMama - 7-23-2020 at 07:45 AM

Saw it last night in the hills outside Livermore. Needed my hubby's best binoculars. Could not see with the naked eye, too much light pollution.

thebajarunner - 7-25-2020 at 09:13 AM

If you haven't seen it you better get on it, and soon
It has faded the last couple nights
and the emerging moon is lightening up that part of the sky
Catch it now or never.....