BajaNomad

Whats to do around San Quintin? Day trips, etc.

TedZark - 7-24-2020 at 08:59 AM

Other than the San Pedro Martir area - we'll be coming after a couple days at Rancho El Coyote. I am familiar with Jardines and Molino Viejo, but other than that - don't know much about the area.

Are there any interesting coastal dirt roads that a regular SUV can handle? Hot springs anywhere? Great places to eat - other than the two mentioned?

Any guidance greatfully accepted. Looking to make a plan for a trip that is a few months out.

Someone on another thread mentioned a good bar on the road heading to the coast. But... other than drinking? Interesting options?

motoged - 7-24-2020 at 09:08 AM

STAY HOME !!!!!! Do some reading:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94837

:light:

[Edited on 7-24-2020 by motoged]

del mar - 7-24-2020 at 09:22 AM

PARTY WITH FISHBUCK!!!!!!!!:lol:

mtgoat666 - 7-24-2020 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
Other than the San Pedro Martir area - we'll be coming after a couple days at Rancho El Coyote. I am familiar with Jardines and Molino Viejo, but other than that - don't know much about the area.

Are there any interesting coastal dirt roads that a regular SUV can handle? Hot springs anywhere? Great places to eat - other than the two mentioned?

Any guidance greatfully accepted. Looking to make a plan for a trip that is a few months out.

Someone on another thread mentioned a good bar on the road heading to the coast. But... other than drinking? Interesting options?

Your travel sounds like tourism. There is a pandemic! Non-essential travel is prohibited. Cannot recommend any travel stops where you might infect the locals. Why do you think rules dint apply to you?

TedZark - 7-24-2020 at 09:26 AM

Please notice, fearmongers - that I mentioned this this is in planning stages a few months out.

Once the old ladies leave, I'll be happy to hear any suggestions.

TedZark - 7-24-2020 at 09:32 AM

NOTICE: " Looking to make a plan for a trip that is a few months out."

#1: A PLAN.
#2 A FEW MONTHS OUT.

I know it is hard for many people here to read, but really...?

John Harper - 7-24-2020 at 09:36 AM

Find out where that locomotive that was dropped into the bay by accident years ago is resting.

John

TedZark - 7-24-2020 at 09:40 AM

Thank you, John. I had read about that. Will review the SQ train thread here.

Happy to help for future trip planning! VivaBaja.com

David K - 7-24-2020 at 09:56 AM

Hi Ted, have you been to my website for trip planning purposes?

Historical sites include the Old Mill (Molino Viejo) which is now a bar and restaurant and hotel. See the San Quintín Railroad thread/ question from 4x4abc. West from Km. 1, paved.

The old pier is just south and the old English cemetery further south is now in the center of a huge modern-era cemetery... west from Km. 5.

Cielito Lindo is a popular bar and serves meals, too. Their cracked crab is word-famous! West from Km. 11.

Mission Santo Domingo, founded in 1775 is to the north, near Colonia Vicente Guerrero and about 5 miles east of the highway at Km. 169+. It has preserved adobe ruins and walkways.

There are the oyster farms and other aquaculture operations run by Baja Gringo (Ron) of Talk Baja fame. They are on the inner or False Bay. Go west at Km. 193, south corner of military base.

motoged - 7-24-2020 at 11:21 AM

Please notice, fearmongers - that I mentioned this this is in planning stages a few months out.

Once the old ladies leave, I'll be happy to hear any suggestions.

Considering the path of Covid resurgences, I would not plan such expeditions until a stable pattern is clearly demonstrated in north America over a several month period. ....but that is just my thinking.

I am not a fearmonger or an old lady :rolleyes: , but someone who understands the risk to self and others.

Planning is sometimes the anticipation that is greater than the event.....nothing unhealthy about that.....it is the operationalizing of the plan that is being suggested by some here. :light:

TedZark - 7-24-2020 at 01:23 PM

Back to any recommendations? I'll certainly check out DK's website.

JZ - 7-24-2020 at 01:51 PM

I wouldn't call San Quintin a destination spot.

My recommendation would be to keep going to Bahia de Los Angeles.

Down there I could give you about a dozen recs on stuff to do.

shari - 7-24-2020 at 03:34 PM

Hotel Mission on the beach has a guy named Francisco that does super cool ultralight flights over the area, volcano etc for 500 pesos I think...the pictures are really neat and he is a good guy...he was an excellent student of mine at University and has been doing this for a couple years now.
Also a visit to the restaurant at the oyster farm out at Choyero would be fun and its a beautiful area.
Wander around down by the pier by Don Eddies, have a nice meal there...fish with Juan Cook!
Go to a classic happy hour at Cielito Lindo and get all messy eating their famous crab claws.
Lots to do and see in the area...have fun!

amigobaja - 7-25-2020 at 08:51 AM

Two must try restaurants is Eucolipto at the old mill hotel. And my all time Baja favorite Parcel Dolce about 8 miles south of San Quintin.
Day trip about 15 miles south is an old I think Ab/oyster farm that has a cool hole in the ground and cave that the seals swim up in to sleep.
Take about any of the farm roads west and work your way to deserted beaches accessible in most vehicles.
Have fun

BigBearRider - 7-25-2020 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Hotel Mission on the beach has a guy named Francisco that does super cool ultralight flights over the area, volcano etc for 500 pesos I think...the pictures are really neat and he is a good guy...he was an excellent student of mine at University and has been doing this for a couple years now.
Also a visit to the restaurant at the oyster farm out at Choyero would be fun and its a beautiful area.
Wander around down by the pier by Don Eddies, have a nice meal there...fish with Juan Cook!
Go to a classic happy hour at Cielito Lindo and get all messy eating their famous crab claws.
Lots to do and see in the area...have fun!

Is it really about 500 pesos? That’s reasonable compared to the $100 or so in Cabo. I have his card somewhere...

mtgoat666 - 7-25-2020 at 11:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by amigobaja  
Two must try restaurants is Eucolipto at the old mill hotel. And my all time Baja favorite Parcel Dolce...

Parcel Dolce?
Think you meant Parcela 12 (or doce)

TedZark - 7-25-2020 at 11:32 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I think this will mostly be an eat and drink fest - with a bit of looking around in the mornings/early afternoons. Otherwise, just old friends catching up.

Where is Parcela 12? And why all-time favorite?

David K - 7-25-2020 at 12:00 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I think this will mostly be an eat and drink fest - with a bit of looking around in the mornings/early afternoons. Otherwise, just old friends catching up.

Where is Parcela 12? And why all-time favorite?

Km.16, on the left if southbound. More in my road guide sample pages in the Nomad Road Conditions forum (San Quintin to Guerrero Negro).

TedZark - 7-25-2020 at 12:27 PM

Thanks, DK - I'll send the links to my friend to see what he wants to see.

Parcela 12

bajaguy - 7-25-2020 at 01:15 PM

A must stop for lunch, Don Eddies and crab claws........a perfect vacation

mtgoat666 - 7-25-2020 at 04:44 PM

For brunch or lunch, a great place to eat is Restaurante Misión Santa Isabel...

Skipjack Joe - 7-25-2020 at 07:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I am surprised Baja Jardines wasn't mentioned?

It wasn't mentioned because he states at the start that he knows about it.

amigobaja - 7-25-2020 at 08:47 PM

Parcela doce
Its like being invited in to a locale's abuela's casa for breakfast or even a huge family dinner and they treat you that way.

BajaNomad - 7-25-2020 at 10:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

...visit to the restaurant at the oyster farm out at Choyero would be fun and its a beautiful area.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Mexican-Restaurant/C...
https://cielitolindohotel.wordpress.com

http://www.laostionera.com
https://www.facebook.com/LaOstionera.BahiaFalsa

Also:

http://www.hotelmissioninn.com/English-Version/Oyster-Farm-M...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47542
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/j5qyyy/this-baja-oyster-w...
https://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/oct/08/crossing-south-san-qui...

[Edited on 7-26-2020 by BajaNomad]

Oyster, Abalone, and Limpet Farms by Baja Gringo (Ron)

David K - 7-26-2020 at 07:14 AM

If you are as lucky as my group was in 2016, you will get a lecture on how then oysters, abalone, and limpets are raised and why Ron's operation succeeds while the La Lobera project failed. It was very interesting!

NOTE: The oysters come from the farm on Bahía Falsa (the inner part of Bahía San Quintín). These photos are from the Limpet and Abalone farm at La Chorera, on the Pacific coast, opposite Isla San Martin.

One of my guests was a Four Seasons Hotel executive chef, so this was very interesting for him to see where the product comes from that he buys.

Now, the yummy part!

Raw....

... and cooked.

The short video made by one of the guests of our Baja Extreme 2016 tour:

It was a great trip and so much fun! Did you see the video with "Can't Get Enough" music? Look for Shari of Bahía Asunción in there.

[Edited on 7-26-2020 by David K]

surfhat - 7-26-2020 at 10:51 AM

Nomad at its finest. Thanks.

I always schedule a couple of days at the Mision Santa Maria on the way back home after a 10 day visit as a chilled out time to beach walk and enjoy Baja before crossing the border.

Jardines gets my over night on the way down. Just don't stay there on a Monday as I did this past March, if you want to enjoy their great restaurant. Live and learn.

Next time, whenever that is deemed appropriate again, I will make better use of these two days in San Quintin and check out the oyster farm.

La Mision de Santa Maria has a good restaurant with a view west to the sand dunes on the beach. Breakfast and dinner has never disappointed any of my friends.

Parcela 13? needs to be checked out, maybe for breakfast as we head south.

We can all hope that this current malaise will abate. Considering some of the behavior and denial of how contagious this virus is, my hope will have to rely upon a vaccine, not upon perspectives that have no scientific basis.

Denial is not a river in Egypt. We all have to everything we can to flatten the curve so we can all enjoy and support our Baja friends again.

Best wishes to all of our Baja friends. May you all continue to stay safe and healthy.

surfhat - 7-26-2020 at 10:53 AM

Parsela 12 correction. Duh.

TedZark - 7-26-2020 at 12:33 PM

Thanks for that, surfhat - I'm sending the link for the photos there to my friend.

BajaMama - 7-28-2020 at 06:52 AM

When tourism is open, I would recommend a nice little drive to La Lobera - 4 wheel may be necessary. Heading south out of San Quintin area, you'll drive along the coast. When the hwy turns into the hills, you'll see signage for the La Lobera road on right just a mile or two up the road. It is a dirt road, subject to rearrangement and drive-ability from rain. There is a viewing area where you will see lots of sea lions and pups in the late spring. Walk around to enjoy gorgeous shore-line views. I don't remember what the deserted building was intended for, but David K will. When done, head further south and have lunch at Mama Espinoza's in El Rosario. If you really want to spend the entire day, continue about 56 miles to the El Marmol exit on the left. Drive out, if I remember right, about 9 miles on a pretty rocky dirt road to the old onyx mine. There is a graveyard and school house made from onyx. You can collect onyx outside the fenced areas. I have heard others talking about springs further down the road but I have never been. Sometimes the curio shop at Hwy 1 and the El Marmol exit is open - they (used to anyhow) have the absolute best prices for onyx carved items.

David K - 7-28-2020 at 08:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
When tourism is open, I would recommend a nice little drive to La Lobera - 4 wheel may be necessary. Heading south out of San Quintin area, you'll drive along the coast. When the hwy turns into the hills, you'll see signage for the La Lobera road on right just a mile or two up the road. It is a dirt road, subject to rearrangement and drive-ability from rain. There is a viewing area where you will see lots of sea lions and pups in the late spring. Walk around to enjoy gorgeous shore-line views. I don't remember what the deserted building was intended for, but David K will. When done, head further south and have lunch at Mama Espinoza's in El Rosario. If you really want to spend the entire day, continue about 56 miles to the El Marmol exit on the left. Drive out, if I remember right, about 9 miles on a pretty rocky dirt road to the old onyx mine. There is a graveyard and school house made from onyx. You can collect onyx outside the fenced areas. I have heard others talking about springs further down the road but I have never been. Sometimes the curio shop at Hwy 1 and the El Marmol exit is open - they (used to anyhow) have the absolute best prices for onyx carved items.

La Lobera is at Km. 47.5 and 3.0 dusty miles in. There is one deep gully crossing so 4x4 may be best. There was a sea-culture farm there dating back to the early 2000s and a restaurant was built to serve the seafood raised onsite... Never happened. By 2016, the project failed from issues with pumping the sea water into the tanks. La Lobera sea lion crater is pretty interesting and the wild coastline is a joy to view.

La Lobera's owner, Adrian Santana shows us how abalone is raised. All kinds of sea food is being produced in the tanks, for the (future) restaurant.

Mama Espinoza's Restaurant is at Km. 57.5, on the left, after the gas station and just before the highway makes a 90° turn in the town of El Rosario.

July 2009

Mama (Anita) Espinoza (101) autographs her book for me.
Born on Oct. 16, 1910 per her 2002 published biography.
However, her 1994 autobiography says the year was really 1908.
We talk about the old days and of my first trip through El Rosario in 1966.
Her memory is so strong that she recalls visitors that long ago.

El Mármol and El Volcán are reached from Km. 149. El Mármol (9.3 miles in) was abandoned in 1958 after some 50+ years of extracting the finest quality Mexican onyx in the world. Home of the world's only school made from onyx and hundreds of people at one time.

In 2005

In 1955, teacher and her students.

The road continues northeast from the schoolhouse for 4.0 miles to a deep arroyo crossing. Hike a short distance to the right, up the arroyo to find the bubbling soda springs and Baja's famous cold-water geyser, El Volcán. It is reported to erupt monthly, shooting water 60 feet into the sky. This is how onyx is made at the rate of a few inches every thousand years.

On top of the geyser dome. I have been here many times, even camped nearby... have yet to see an eruption. However, seeing all the bubbling springs and the location is fascinating!

[Edited on 7-28-2020 by David K]

TedZark - 7-28-2020 at 12:31 PM

David, on the map, is that the famous La Bocana (I know there are several) of the people on the board here? If so, it's worth checking out! I thought they were way further south? I'd stay there if it is those folks.

[Edited on 7-28-2020 by TedZark]

David K - 7-28-2020 at 12:41 PM

Hi Ted,
On the above map, La Bocana is a beach, a lagoon, and little else. Nomad 'Baja Blanca' lives in a fishing town called La Bocana, which in near Punta Abreojos, southwest of San Ignacio.
'La Bocana' is typically the name of the place where a river reaches the sea, exits a mountain, or the 'mouth' of a lagoon where it connects to the ocean.

Here is my map with Blanca's La Bocana (and the road to it is now paved)...

[Edited on 7-28-2020 by David K]

Skipjack Joe - 7-28-2020 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  

Denial is not a river in Egypt. We all have to everything ......

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll bet those keyhole limpets don't enjoy having tabasco sauce poured over them.

David K - 7-28-2020 at 04:14 PM

The limpets are for medical research... possible cancer cure and more.

BajaMama - 7-30-2020 at 06:38 AM

David K thanks for expanding on my post - I knew you would have great information and maps for both of those places!

David K - 7-30-2020 at 07:16 AM

You are welcome!
Let me know if I can help more.