BajaNomad

Just started planning out another boating adventure; Who has been to the Keys?

JZ - 8-3-2020 at 06:07 PM

Hopefully this will be the last non-Baja trip we have to take for a good while.

Planning to stay around Marathon. We've never been, anyone have advice? Have set about 20 way points so far for sandbars, reefs, and docks.

This one is on Content Key about 25 miles from Marathon. Sadly, the dog cannot go.

[Edited on 8-4-2020 by JZ]

BajaParrothead - 8-3-2020 at 08:27 PM

One of my favorite spots on earth is the Keys. I've only boated down to Morada, but I've enjoyed the rest of the keys on four wheels a few times. Key West is its own animal!! What time of year are you going?

JZ - 8-3-2020 at 09:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  
One of my favorite spots on earth is the Keys. I've only boated down to Morada, but I've enjoyed the rest of the keys on four wheels a few times. Key West is its own animal!! What time of year are you going?

Leaving for Florida on Sunday. Wife and I are taking our girl (incoming freshman) to college to play soccer. Boys are tagging along.

Plan to fly into Key West on the 15th. It's going to be hot and buggy. Hopefully, a hurricane doesn't hit.

Looe Reef about 20 miles from Marathon.

mtgoat666 - 8-4-2020 at 06:41 AM

Not a fan of the Keys (and not a fan of Florida in general). For island life and water in the vicinity, try the Bahamas, skip the resorts and go to a remote laid back part of the Bahamas like Long Island.

BajaBlanca - 8-4-2020 at 10:35 AM

Oh wow, I went to the Keys as a kid and I have never forgotten the experience. The water was so wonderful, the beaches so wonderful, the architecture so neat, people and stores and great food.

There was a sunken ship on one island that one could swim out to and jump off of.

Have fun!

Blanca

JZ - 8-4-2020 at 11:45 AM

This is one spot we are hoping to boat out to. Would love to have a Zodiac to get into the shallow water.

motoged - 8-4-2020 at 12:29 PM

https://fla-keys.com/news/article/10775/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/02/us/florida-hurricane-isaias-coronavirus.html

[Edited on 8-4-2020 by motoged]

pacificobob - 8-5-2020 at 01:14 PM

Florida might be a good fit for you.

freediverbrian - 8-5-2020 at 09:14 PM

Spent some time in Islamorada years ago. As far as the fishing area it's huge , both sides of the keys are different. As far as gps points can't help you we were using loran back then. Good luck

JZ - 8-5-2020 at 09:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
Spent some time in Islamorada years ago. As far as the fishing area it's huge , both sides of the keys are different. As far as gps points can't help you we were using loran back then. Good luck

Have mapped out about 20 way points so far. Got them loaded into Navonics and Google Earth for satellite views.

Got some good input from The Hull Truth from guys who boat a lot down there. Night and day difference from boating in the Sea of Cortez.

Boat rentals are quite cheap in Florida. Got a 27 foot SeaFox with twins.

[Edited on 8-6-2020 by JZ]

BajaParrothead - 8-6-2020 at 02:27 PM

Spent 10 days down there a few years ago completing ASA sailing lessons and we stirred up a lot of mud between Miami and Isla Morada. Very shallow area!!!

motoged - 8-6-2020 at 02:48 PM

Shallow area.....?

Suitable place for him....

John Harper - 8-7-2020 at 07:44 AM

Must be the only "CEO" in America who takes more vacation than Trump.

John

Alan - 8-7-2020 at 07:51 AM

We rented a house on Marathon several years back through VRBO. The house was on a canal and had a dock in the backyard so we also rented a boat for the week. We booked things very late so the smallest boat available was a 31' center console with twin 150 Suzukis. If I remember the house and the boat were each about a grand for the week which I thought was very reasonable. The guys would head offshore early and get some fishing in then return to pick up the girls and go snorkel the Sombrero Reef. Had a great time but realized I can't handle the bugs,

motoged - 8-7-2020 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Cut from the same bolt ....

elgatoloco - 8-7-2020 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
When was Trump on a vacation... maybe before he became POTUS? I think you are confused with the previous guy (and his wife's shopping excursions on our dime)?

Why would one vacation when one doesn't do much work?

https://trumpgolfcount.com/

Your dime? $138 million.

mtgoat666 - 8-7-2020 at 11:54 AM

When was Trump on a vacation... maybe before he became POTUS? I think you are confused with the previous guy (and his wife's shopping excursions on our dime)?

Dk, trump doesn’t even get out of bed and to the office before 1000 am, he is a lazy president. Spent much of his term at one of his resorts, His golf count is worst of any president! laziest president ever!
Lazy is reflected in his obesity - trump is the fattest president in over 100 years, you have to go back to Taft in 1908 to find someone fatter!

paranewbi - 8-7-2020 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Dk, trump doesn’t even get out of bed and to the office before 1000 am, he is a lazy president. Spent much of his term at one of his resorts, His golf count is worst of any president! laziest president ever!
Lazy is reflected in his obesity - trump is the fattest president in over 100 years, you have to go back to Taft in 1908 to find someone fatter!

Gulp, gulp, gulp,

Another simple thread goes political and 'Off Topic'

John Harper - 8-7-2020 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

John

You mean scraped off the bottom of the same shoe?

John

motoged - 8-7-2020 at 02:58 PM

That works.

JZ - 8-7-2020 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
We rented a house on Marathon several years back through VRBO. The house was on a canal and had a dock in the backyard so we also rented a boat for the week. We booked things very late so the smallest boat available was a 31' center console with twin 150 Suzukis. If I remember the house and the boat were each about a grand for the week which I thought was very reasonable. The guys would head offshore early and get some fishing in then return to pick up the girls and go snorkel the Sombrero Reef. Had a great time but realized I can't handle the bugs,

Nice. Florida is awesome for this. We did the area around Captiva and Sanibel last year. Rented a 22 foot center console. Put about 200 miles on it over 4 days.

How was Sombrero? It looks pretty cool.

[Edited on 8-8-2020 by JZ]

LancairDriver - 8-7-2020 at 07:27 PM

John

John

Envy and jealousy only make an individual more miserable. Face it, some people have it better than others. Live and let live. They have not stolen your piece of the pie, they have simply made a bigger pie.

JZ - 8-7-2020 at 08:52 PM

Looe Reef. About 18 miles SW of Sombrero Reef.

Wish I was there now.

John Harper - 8-8-2020 at 04:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

John

John

Envy and jealousy only make an individual more miserable. Face it, some people have it better than others. Live and let live. They have not stolen your piece of the pie, they have simply made a bigger pie.

You can have all the money in the world, yet you still can't buy class.

John

pacificobob - 8-8-2020 at 07:05 AM

well said, and oh so accurate john

pacificobob - 8-8-2020 at 07:07 AM

AND, nothing sez klass like flor-a-duh.

motoged - 8-8-2020 at 08:35 AM

:biggrin: ;)

Alan - 8-8-2020 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by Alan  

Nice. Florida is awesome for this. We did the area around Captiva and Sanibel last year. Rented a 22 foot center console. Put about 200 miles on it over 4 days.

How was Sombrero? It looks pretty cool.

[Edited on 8-8-2020 by JZ]

Well heck then you know Florida much better than I do. I thought it was going to be a first time trip for you so I was just sharing the minuscule amount I knew :lol::lol: Sounds like you have it dialed. Sombrero was cool. Typical east coast snorkeling with lots of sponges and sea fans.

LancairDriver - 8-8-2020 at 11:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

John

John

You can have all the money in the world, yet you still can't buy class.

John

Here are a few examples of “class” 😂

2C5F2CFD-4545-4C67-A611-1000E4260E65.jpeg - 48kB

motoged - 8-8-2020 at 12:32 PM

Some Nomad comments are not necessarily representative of jealousy and envy.... but perhaps are indicative of limited tolerance of "fools" ... :light:

But thank you for your critical condemnation. :biggrin:

[Edited on 8-8-2020 by motoged]

pacificobob - 8-9-2020 at 08:10 AM

lanceairdriver, [ oh my a general aviation pilot!]
does the irony of that post go right over your head?

LancairDriver - 8-9-2020 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
lanceairdriver, [ oh my a general aviation pilot!]
does the irony of that post go right over your head?

Oh my, a Pacifico beer drinker! Don’t let your jealousy and envy of your usual targets get the best of you.
Ironic? Of course. Why would I dig out and post a note like that without realizing that it takes a fool to engage in banter with one? 😁

JZ - 8-9-2020 at 01:08 PM

Down at LAX.

Drinking a couple beers while waiting to board.

[Edited on 8-9-2020 by JZ]

motoged - 8-9-2020 at 01:35 PM

Headed to Sturgis?

John Harper - 8-10-2020 at 07:36 AM

Headed to Sturgis?

"A rebel without a clue........" Tom Petty

John

TMW - 8-10-2020 at 12:18 PM

I was in Sturgis 9 years ago next month. Interesting place, some of the largest bars I've ever seen.

motoged - 8-11-2020 at 02:23 PM

Yep ... lotsa cursin', spittin', drinkin', an' fightin' .

Quite the social barometer. A pilgrimage for some.

A sure sign of "freedom"...... eh?!