BajaNomad

Trip report

Cappy - 8-15-2020 at 05:10 AM

Southern California to Pescadero
Left 8/13.
Mexicali west crossing 6 am. No issues no traffic immigration no problem
Road to Gonzaga excellent condition. Weather a brisk 111. Fuel available in Gonzaga
Checkpoint going into Gonzaga and another checkpoint on new highway leaving Gonzaga. Not sure why you need two checkpoints within 10 miles? Spent the night San Ignacio. Ignacio springs yurts. The cleanest room I have ever seen Baja nice beds, cold ac, hot shower.
Baja seems to be coming back to life. Very different than when drove north in April. Most checkpoint personnel wearing masks but not 100%. Felt safe traveling. Travel time 20 hours
Essential travel. hurricane prep on 1 house and in the process of building second home

David K - 8-15-2020 at 06:15 AM

Great report, thanks for taking the time!

TMW - 8-15-2020 at 01:49 PM

Thanks for the trip report. Wow you have to feel for the check point people out in 111 degree weather.

AKgringo - 8-15-2020 at 02:01 PM

It is 108 in Sacramento right now, 103 where I am in the foothills!

Edit; Sorry for the hijack Cappy! I do appreciate you letting us know what you encountered, thanks for posting!

[Edited on 8-15-2020 by AKgringo]

David K - 8-15-2020 at 03:14 PM

96° in Fallbrook area now.

chippy - 8-15-2020 at 03:30 PM

It pays to live west of I5:light:

JZ - 8-15-2020 at 06:45 PM

Did anyone ask you why you were traveling or for proof of having a house, etc.?

Cappy - 8-16-2020 at 03:58 AM

Carried all my paperwork. No questions. Traveling with pooch no issues
Temp check at Guerrero spray booth. 30 pesos for the spray ( inflation)

SFandH - 8-16-2020 at 06:50 AM

Reports over the past couple of months indicate that border/baja road travel is as before COVID, except for the highway "filters" that were set up by Ensenada, Mexicali, and San Felipe just prior to the 4th of July weekend and later removed.

Or have I missed something?

David K - 8-16-2020 at 08:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Reports over the past couple of months indicate that border/baja road travel is as before COVID, except for the highway "filters" that were set up by Ensenada, Mexicali, and San Felipe just prior to the 4th of July weekend and later removed.

San Diego TV news last night reported (and I saw it elsewhere) that Mexico has extended the travel ban an additional month (to Sept. 21) to all NON-ESSENTIAL traffic.

So, while the businesses in Baja want us to return and we want to go back... their government is not in favor of it... at least officially.

SFandH - 8-16-2020 at 08:37 AM

That has been in effect for months. I am not aware of the Mexican officials enforcing it and I've been reading daily about the situation.

[Edited on 8-16-2020 by SFandH]

mtgoat666 - 8-16-2020 at 08:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

San Diego TV news last night reported (and I saw it elsewhere) that Mexico has extended the travel ban an additional month (to Sept. 21) to all NON-ESSENTIAL traffic.

So, while the businesses in Baja want us to return and we want to go back... their government is not in favor of it... at least officially.

I have found that the vast majority of businesseses act for themselves, not their customers.
For example, many thousands of store will sell their customers cigarettes, fully aware that they are selling a product that will kill their customers.
I have also seen that many hotels and restaurants want you to travel to Mexico and spend money in their establishments, even though they know that additional travel means additional disease transmission, and additional deaths.

TMW - 8-16-2020 at 02:41 PM

In my opinion closing restaurants and Barbara shops is total BS. What's the difference between going into a restaurant with separated seating and going into a grocery store or Home Depot? If you go down an isle in a store you are not going to be 6 ft apart. If setting in a restaurant you are with family or friends same as if they were in your home.

Yes I wear a mask.

Goat what would you do if you own a business in Mexico, just close down and go out of business. How you going to feed and take care of your family then?

BajaBlanca - 8-17-2020 at 03:37 AM

Cappy, that was a succinct report, thanks!

In La Bocana, we have seen Mexican tourists like never before and do they like to party! Groups of families are taking vacations together and enjoying the fishing and drinking.

So far, no sign of covid here but our friends are self quarantining when they have family or friends from other towns visit.

JZ - 8-17-2020 at 03:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
In my opinion closing restaurants and Barbara shops is total BS. What's the difference between going into a restaurant with separated seating and going into a grocery store or Home Depot? If you go down an isle in a store you are not going to be 6 ft apart. If setting in a restaurant you are with family or friends same as if they were in your home.

Yes I wear a mask.

Goat what would you do if you own a business in Mexico, just close down and go out of business. How you going to feed and take care of your family then?

He just wants the economy as bad as possible so Trump is out. That is all this is about.

I'm no Trump fan, but after watching all these Dem governors let their cities become lawless and try to lock ppl in their homes you'd be kissing America as we know it good bye to not vote for him.

CAPPY....

hdn2mx - 8-24-2020 at 08:49 PM

Good report thanks. Saw some pics of the new casa from Gallo. I was in Peskies for about 12 days, flew in. Looks like things are coming along! Enjoy the new hood!
RT