BajaNomad

A LOOK INSIDE the Mission churches:

David K - 8-15-2020 at 07:49 AM

Trying to keep the Baja vibe alive while we are stuck at home, so I am thinking of ways to put Baja on the screen.

Most of us know the missions from looking at the outside. Lord knows I have posted enough photos of them! Many of you have my book or other books showing the missions.

During the years that the peninsula was part of Spain (or claimed by Spain), 1535-1822, there were 25 Spanish missions founded. Two more were established by one Dominican missionary following the war for independence. Those two would be known as Mexican missions.

The last mission to remain in operation was Santo Tomás, closing in 1849. The last two remaining Dominican missionaries left the peninsula, from La Paz, in 1855.

Of all the missions, many with multiple locations since nearly half moved to better locations after they were founded, only 8 mission churches remain intact. Some have been repaired or refurbished.

The 8 intact mission churches built in the 1700s are:
1) Loreto
2) San Javier
3) Mulegé
4) San José de Comondú (a side chapel of the original church)
5) San Ignacio
6) San Luis Gonzaga
7) Santa Gertrudis
8) San Borja

The following photos will be identified with letters. Can you match the numbers (1-8) to the letter? [As of 6-16-2020, the missions have all been ID'd]

A) SAN LUIS GONZAGA

B) SAN JOSE DE COMONDU

C) SANTA ROSALIA DE MULEGE

D) LORETO CONCHO

E) SAN FRANCISCO JAVIER BIAUNDO

F) SAN FRANCISCO DE BORJA ADAC

G) SAN IGNACIO DE KADAKAAMAN

H) SANTA GERTRUDIS

[Edited on 8-17-2020 by David K]

BajaTed - 8-15-2020 at 08:28 AM

Seeing the evolution of the church builders as they were able to create larger interior space over time is my take away. Imagine the impression on the indigenous folks the churches had when seen for the first time. My understanding was church interiors were done in seclusion for maximum affect on the patrons. Probably the coolest spot in town too.

David K - 8-15-2020 at 09:09 AM

Actually the progression was from stick shack to adobe room to stone building (for some). The interior size varied a lot between the missions. I had not read that there was any seclusion before completion. In fact, the natives must have been a good part of the workforce, directed by stone masons. In two cases, natives sheltering inside, were killed when walls of unfinished missions collapsed upon them during hurricanes: Santiago de los Coras (the first, abandoned Santiago mission at Santa Ana) and Guadalupe de Huasinapí.

Lots of interesting history and the effort of all involved was amazing considering the year, the location, and the issues.

Jinete Viejo - 8-15-2020 at 03:25 PM

H = 7

David K - 8-15-2020 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jinete Viejo  
H = 7

Correct! :light::light::light::bounce::bounce::bounce::cool::cool::cool:
As you guys answer these, I will put the mission name by the photo.

4x4abc - 8-16-2020 at 01:16 AM

A - San Luis Gonzaga
B - San Jose de Comondu
F - San Borja
H - Santa Gertrudis
E - San Javier
D - Loreto
C - Mulege
G - San Ignacio

comondu 800.jpg - 173kB

David K - 8-16-2020 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
A - San Luis Gonzaga
B - San Jose de Comondu
F - San Borja
H - Santa Gertrudis
E - San Javier
D - Loreto
C - Mulege
G - San Ignacio

100% correct, Harald! :bounce::bounce::bounce::light::light::light::cool::cool::cool:

You have a very nice photo from inside the chapel at Comondú, too.

4x4abc - 8-16-2020 at 04:56 PM

my order reflects how difficult it was for me to remember which one was which. Gonzaga is always the easiest. The location looks like a movie set.

gonzaga.jpg - 319kB

David K - 8-16-2020 at 10:49 PM

Great photo, Harald!

My 2017 photos at San Luis Gonzaga, once an important center on the road to La Paz.

David K - 8-17-2020 at 08:39 AM