BajaNomad

Hobie Pedalboard?

AKgringo - 8-25-2020 at 12:27 PM

This advertisement cycled through this forum a couple of minutes ago, and I was wondering if anyone here ever tried one of these?

https://www.hobie.com/pedalboards/mirage-eclipse/?gclid=EAIa...

castone001 - 8-25-2020 at 03:58 PM

I have one. Daughter works for Hobie. They are easy to ride and are actually pretty fast.

chippy - 8-25-2020 at 04:08 PM

If they are anything like the mirage drive on my Hobie kayaks they scoot right along. The stand ups might have an edge due to the surfboard having more planing surface and less drag plus more pressure on the pedals?

advrider - 8-25-2020 at 06:00 PM

Looks pretty cool. I'm sticking with an inflatable kayak, I like to sit.

BajaMama - 8-26-2020 at 12:25 PM

Wow, I like that. I paddle board when in BCS, but sometimes it gets cumbersome to keep changing hands with the paddle. I like that you can steer! On the other hand, the act of paddling is very relaxing.

amigobaja - 8-27-2020 at 10:10 AM

Im with advrider I like to sit so I have a couple Hobi with the paddle drive. Best part is I can sit and drink a beer while paddling.

chippy - 8-27-2020 at 10:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by amigobaja  
Im with advrider I like to sit so I have a couple Hobi with the paddle drive. Best part is I can sit and drink a beer while paddling.

x2:lol:

mtgoat666 - 8-27-2020 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
This advertisement cycled through this forum a couple of minutes ago, and I was wondering if anyone here ever tried one of these?

https://www.hobie.com/pedalboards/mirage-eclipse/?gclid=EAIa...

I tried the hobie pedal drive, and found it unsatisfying. But I am biased as I do a lot of SUP paddling.
The problem with pedal drive is that it is less energy efficient, and slower, relative to regular paddle. If you got no experience with a regular paddle, then you might like the pedal drive.

JZ - 8-27-2020 at 01:17 PM

It only got a rating of 3.3 stars on Amazon, which is pretty low.

Looks like a gimmick to me. I think you'd be bored with in after a few times out.