BajaNomad

Fishing cranking up in Bahia Asuncion...finally!

shari - 8-26-2020 at 03:56 PM

The ocean temps here are just starting to warm up with the last storm so fishing has been belated but cranking up now with yellowtail, dorado, too much bonita and some nice grouper! Halibut are plentiful from shore too.
Here are some highlights from this week!
our own Nomad Dtbushpilot started off the week.

the spearos Willy & Alexwere so stoked!

I finally got to sharpen up my sashimi knife!

SFandH - 8-26-2020 at 04:19 PM

Chow time!!

Yellowtail are a jack, right? Amberjack?

Any yellowfin tuna ever come around?

I'm a rookie fisherman, at best.

thebajarunner - 8-26-2020 at 05:01 PM

Best day of fishing ever was a Sunday morning in early spring when Shari arranged for one of the local guys took half dozen of us out in his panga.
Don't know what the species but we hauled in so many 3 to 6 pounders that I though we would sink the boat.

On the way back to shore we ran into a big fog bank so he would run the motor for a couple minutes, then shut it off and listen for the surf, or better yet, the waves crashing on the rocks.
Needless to say, this got pretty exciting, but after about 20 minutes of on/off we spotted the opening in the shoreline rocks and went ashore.

Our panguero took all the fish, his wife made the biggest tub of ceviche ever and we brought a couple dozen bottles of vino blanco. All the neighbors showed up. We were local heros for the rest of our stay.....We told him to spread the remaining pieces around the neighborhood which added to our fame....

David K - 8-26-2020 at 05:30 PM

Oh man... DTBushPilot looks happy! I remember Shari's yellowtail sashimi!

shari - 8-26-2020 at 06:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Chow time!!

Yellowtail are a jack, right? Amberjack?

Any yellowfin tuna ever come around?

I'm a rookie fisherman, at best.

every year is different here and fisheries depends on bait and water temps....we often have yellowfin tuna, wahoo, dorado & even some sailfish. Our main target is yellowtail and big a$$ calicos and halibut from shore!

David K - 8-26-2020 at 06:36 PM

Oh man, you're killing me! :biggrin:

There is maybe no other place in Baja where one can go and be among friends, have a wonderful time, and enjoy the freshest seafood!

I am so happy that Shari has made Bahía Asunción such a paradise for so many Nomads since she got online way back when!

motoged - 8-27-2020 at 09:11 AM

Best part of Baja :cool:

Don't tell anyone....:tumble:

baitcast - 8-27-2020 at 11:35 AM

At last a fish report :biggrin: no more reruns for now:lol: its the best I can do.......my only form of entertainment these days,100+ for five weeks, riots the plague ,hurricanes and my sons home came within a 1/4 mile of burning down!! and my daughter got the COVID an is on the mend WHEW! crazy year so far....Rob

Bajaboy - 8-27-2020 at 11:55 AM

Happy to hear the catching is getting better. Gabriel and I plan to head out in October.

One of the bright spots of Covid here in San Diego is that the fishing boats can now sell directly to the consumer. We have fish delivered to our front door from Haworth Fish https://haworthfish.com/

Just got a delivery of blue fin, yellow fin, and halibut an hour ago. Fish was caught a few days ago.

See you soon amiga!

JZ - 8-27-2020 at 01:10 PM

Are ppl starting to come to your town again Shari?

elgatoloco - 8-27-2020 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Happy to hear the catching is getting better. Gabriel and I plan to head out in October.

One of the bright spots of Covid here in San Diego is that the fishing boats can now sell directly to the consumer. We have fish delivered to our front door from Haworth Fish https://haworthfish.com/

Just got a delivery of blue fin, yellow fin, and halibut an hour ago. Fish was caught a few days ago.

See you soon amiga!

We can hardly wait until we can do an extended trip down thepeninsla again with a stop in BA.

Thanks for the tip on Haworth Fish. We have been going to the fish market since it opened https://www.thdocksidemarket.com/ and recently had a 3 day weekend of live spot prawn (sashimi, grilled, fried heads) and bluefin three ways (sashimi, seared, marinated) via local fisherpeople family Saraspe delievered to our door. https://saraspeseafoods.com/

Good eats.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-27-2020 at 02:56 PM

hola elgatoloco,

" San Diego is that the fishing boats can now sell directly to the consumer "

thanks for your post. does your post mean we can buy fish directly from the fishermen when the boats come in ?

meaning, overnight boats, long range boats, private charters and just private boaters ?

that would be fantastic as it was always prohibited as long as i can remember.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Bajaboy - 8-27-2020 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  
hola elgatoloco,

" San Diego is that the fishing boats can now sell directly to the consumer "

thanks for your post. does your post mean we can buy fish directly from the fishermen when the boats come in ?

meaning, overnight boats, long range boats, private charters and just private boaters ?

that would be fantastic as it was always prohibited as long as i can remember.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

From what the captain told us, they used to have to sell to a wholesaler first. I'm not sure about the overnight boats, but Haworth sells direct to the consumer either at the dock or for delivery. They send out an email when the boat is coming in with what is available.

shari - 8-27-2020 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Are ppl starting to come to your town again Shari?

Yes we have been open since mid July and visitors are trickling in. We have more local turismo nacional with Mexicanos coming from hot cities to enjoy the cool.
Everything is open here, beaches, restaurants, hotels etc...no covid cases so things are relaxed and the locals appreciate any contribution to the economy.

JZ - 8-27-2020 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

Yes we have been open since mid July and visitors are trickling in. We have more local turismo nacional with Mexicanos coming from hot cities to enjoy the cool.
Everything is open here, beaches, restaurants, hotels etc...no covid cases so things are relaxed and the locals appreciate any contribution to the economy.

Very happy for you!

shari - 8-28-2020 at 05:41 PM

after surfing for awhile, the shore fishing at Los Choros was outstanding...Willy & Lauren caught boca dulces nearly every cast and we prepared corvina agua chile for dinner!

David K - 8-28-2020 at 05:42 PM

Nice Yellowfin croaker!

JZ - 8-28-2020 at 06:47 PM

She's sexy.

shari - 8-28-2020 at 07:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
She's sexy.

Right! I think I have a girl crush! hahaha

shari - 9-7-2020 at 11:13 AM

Fishing continues to please our guests and locals...Rossman is catching some tuna & dodrado now and scored a nice white sea bass too. It is shaping up to be a great season here in BAhia Asuncion!

Yesterday a 17 year old from Guerrero Negro was so excited to catch this nice yellowtail with Captain Juan Arce and they got bonita, calicos and sand bass too...there was a big marlin right beside them too that was impressive!

Locals Debra & Carl were stoked to fish on the Pacific for the first time and caught their first yellowtail too. ANaberta & Tomas (Loncheria Mari) cooked it up to perfection on the grill!

Von - 9-7-2020 at 07:10 PM

AWesome! looks so fun!

shari - 9-17-2020 at 11:47 AM

Lots of dorado around now hiding under kelp paddies and dead sealions and barracuda too so expecting wahoo any day now!

mtgoat666 - 10-3-2020 at 07:42 PM

Are restaurateurs not wearing masks when preparing and handling food?