BajaNomad

Baja crime concerns during Covid 19?

paranewbi - 9-4-2020 at 10:43 AM

As an additional side note...
There are quite a few racers withdrawing from the upcoming 500 due to security concerns.
There are crews resisting attendance and hints of personal body guards being provided by some race entrants.

I'm not involved and can only report what I am hearing from some who are fearful of speaking out.

They do read the information such as this thread floating around the internet and watching others withdraw from the race.

SFandH - 9-4-2020 at 02:08 PM

Horrible.

All that is going on is truly depressing and frightening.

Violence everywhere.

[Edited on 9-4-2020 by SFandH]

norte - 9-4-2020 at 04:04 PM

So sad. Mexico was always a place where you could be robbed...but now they slit your throat or worse, beat you to death.

honda tom - 9-4-2020 at 10:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
There are quite a few racers withdrawing from the upcoming 500 due to security concerns.
There are crews resisting attendance and hints of personal body guards being provided by some race entrants.

I'm not involved and can only report what I am hearing from some who are fearful of speaking out.

They do read the information such as this thread floating around the internet and watching others withdraw from the race.

this is bullshi$..... Most race teams travel in packs of 4 or more. Most crimes against americans are crimes of opportunity. sure theres some fools out there at 3am that shouldnt be...but teams avoiding san felipe for "securitry concerns"... you dont have any idea what your talking about.... nor have you heard from any "teams" regarding security concerns.

mtgoat666 - 9-4-2020 at 10:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  

you dont have any idea what your talking about.... nor have you heard from any "teams" regarding security concerns.

how does Honda guy know what paranoid guy heard?

paranewbi - 9-5-2020 at 04:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  

this is bullshi$..... Most race teams travel in packs of 4 or more. Most crimes against americans are crimes of opportunity. sure theres some fools out there at 3am that shouldnt be...but teams avoiding san felipe for "securitry concerns"... you dont have any idea what your talking about.... nor have you heard from any "teams" regarding security concerns.

Take it for what you want. Don't stand on your own misunderstanding.
What do you know of my position? I am intimately close to well qualified members from whom I gleaned my information. Three teams are where those who passed on their concerns come from. Two north of the border, one south of the border.
They all know I am well versed on travel south of the border (about 150,000 miles from '72 to present day in every country north of Panama) and relayed their concerns to me.
You can be a fool and cast aside what others say, but don't be an idiot and declare others to be something you don't know anything about.
Get in a pit crew for the truth.

The Times They are Are a-Changin

MrBillM - 9-5-2020 at 10:08 AM

Although the odds of an Encounter of the Worst Kind are remote, the danger has always been there. Back in the '80s, I discontinued my (then common) habit of traveling south to San Felipe and beyond in the late night/early a.m. after there were a rash of incidents in which robbers set up highway roadblocks in the area around Laguna Salada. I'm unaware of any encounters that resulted in other than property loss, but the potential is always there and (unlike the U.S.) little (no ?) effective defense is possible.

As noted, the level of desperation potentially leading to acts of violence is far greater today and the best (only ?) defense is to avoid putting oneself in a vulnerable situation. That or rely on luck.

advrider - 9-6-2020 at 10:15 AM

Are people living in Baja seeing an up tick in crime in general because of the covid closers? Desperate people do desperate things but I don't know if that was the case or not. I'm just wondering if it's wise to stay away for a time ( even after things open up) or was this an isolated event?
I love Baja but also don't want to get myself and wife in a bad situation by not paying attention to what is going on. We usually travel alone and go to some remote places. I've never camped on the Pacific North of El Rosario only South, mainly because I never felt I was able to get far enough away from people.

BajaBlanca - 9-6-2020 at 10:19 AM

Nothing unusual here in La Bocana but if you remember, when this whole virus nightmare started, I wondered if crime would rise in general.

Good question so those of you who live north and south...what say thee?

bajatrailrider - 9-6-2020 at 11:29 AM

I have not seen change in north baja. As far as camping remote area I always .Say no to that all the Ca plated trucks on beach today. Are all in large groups with a few always in camp as other fish. boat ride motos.

Does it seem like crime is worse now with the pandemic?

BajaBlanca - 9-6-2020 at 11:42 AM

In La Bocana, nothing has changed. I really was afraid it would but I forget how neighbors take care of each other here!

SFandH - 9-6-2020 at 11:58 AM

Saw a news report about violent crime increasing considerably in many US cities. Crime in addition to the destructive protests in the cities on the TV news.

TMW - 9-6-2020 at 12:27 PM

When you have a lot of people out of work and not in school with not a lot to do then I think crime does go up. Once the virus is under control and people get back to work and kids are back in school I think things will settle down. I also think this is when you find out about the true character of people good and bad.

mjs - 9-6-2020 at 12:35 PM

There have been very few reports of problems in the San Felipe area that I'm aware of. Usually summer is a prime time for burglaries with most part time gringos off to cooler climates.

I keep expecting things to get worse if the MX economy continues to deteriorate. Hope I'm wrong.

elgatoloco - 9-6-2020 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
I keep expecting things to get worse if the MX economy continues to deteriorate. Hope I'm wrong.

I hope the same, but assume the worst.

In my opinion it's a tremendous credit to Mexican character that there has not been more crime against tourists and expats even pre-COVID.

It's hard for many travelers to comprehend how huge a wealth gap there is between the Mexican laboring class and those of us who not only can afford all the flashy toys they see us with, but have the incredible luxury of not working for extended periods to travel, without worrying about our family going hungry.

Effectively, most Gringos seen in Mexico are "wealthy" beyond many locals' dreams, and the COVID crisis is simply exacerbating that gap.

About a decade or more ago I picked my father and step mom up at Cabo airport and we had lunch at Palmilla. Then we drove to TS area and on the way ended up on a road that went near the barrio that was mostly in an arroyo where many of the hotel resort workers live and it was depressingly sad. It was not long after that a hurricane came thru and wiped things out. Sad again.

shari - 9-7-2020 at 11:05 AM

there is very little crime here in BAhia Asuncion and certainly has not increased during the pandemic....probably less petty crime as there was a curfew of 10:00 and the policia were patrolling more.

JZ - 9-7-2020 at 04:06 PM

But the stay in your basement crowd, screw the economy, says there are no pitfalls to that strategy..

SFandH - 9-7-2020 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
But the stay in your basement crowd, screw the economy, says there are no pitfalls to that strategy..

But the open it up crowd, screw public health, says there are no pitfalls to that strategy..

-----------

It's a balancing act. Both sides of the argument are correct.

CaboMagic - 9-7-2020 at 04:24 PM

As usual, different area of Baja may have different experiences.

In Cabo, those that 'have' embrace those that do not. It's a wonderful part of the culture we are humbled to be a part of.

Our crews regularly check up on, and see to it that families in the neediest of areas (barrios) have necessities.

No reports of crime but that's not to say there isn't any.

Cabo residents (locals/ex-pats/tourist/visitors) are following strict protocol.

Our thoughts and prayers to everyone, and especially to all in harms way in fire-ravaged areas.

~Lori

RocketJSquirrel - 9-7-2020 at 06:13 PM

I just spent a few days at Rancho El Coyote Meling and at Mision Santa Maria Hotel and I didn't see anything unusual nor did I feel I was ever in danger.

There may be problems, but I didn't see any and I felt perfectly comfortable during all my time there - also at Jardins and at Molino Viejo. Cielito Lindo also seemed okay.

Don't get on my chit, I'm just telling you the situation I saw when I was physically present there. I've lived abroad in a variety of countries for 30+ years and do have some sense of what's going on.

There are those here who enjoy wetting their pants over circumstances, but the fact is, it's hard to know what's really going on. But you didn't/don't really know "back home" either. The press is a joke.

advrider - 9-7-2020 at 06:24 PM

Rocket, good info, first hand, good to know. Any Covid check points out? Are most places requiring a mask or is it business as usual?

RocketJSquirrel - 9-7-2020 at 07:26 PM

No checkpoints/filters that I saw. Mision Santa Maria appropriately requiring a mask. Lots of people there. Jardin's was well masked up and clearly paying attention.

mtgoat666 - 9-7-2020 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
I just spent a few days at Rancho El Coyote Meling and at Mision Santa Maria Hotel and I didn't see anything unusual nor did I feel I was ever in danger.

There may be problems, but I didn't see any and I felt perfectly comfortable during all my time there - also at Jardins and at Molino Viejo. Cielito Lindo also seemed okay.

Don't get on my chit, I'm just telling you the situation I saw when I was physically present there. I've lived abroad in a variety of countries for 30+ years and do have some sense of what's going on.

There are those here who enjoy wetting their pants over circumstances, but the fact is, it's hard to know what's really going on. But you didn't/don't really know "back home" either. The press is a joke.

One truism in Mexico: you can be robbed, kidnapped ANYWHERE. Probability is low, but there are criminals all over Mexico, and most travelers are ignorant of local risks.

JZ - 9-7-2020 at 09:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

But the open it up crowd, screw public health, says there are no pitfalls to that strategy..

-----------

It's not dangerous to travel anywhere if you take the proper precautions. That's the difference between reasonable and all these lock down weirdo's.

[Edited on 9-8-2020 by JZ]

norte - 9-8-2020 at 04:47 AM

Jizz. Dangerous and precaution in the same sentence do not make sense.

-----------

It's not dangerous to travel anywhere if you take the proper precautions. That's the difference between reasonable and all these lock down weirdo's.

mtgoat666 - 9-8-2020 at 05:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
As usual, different area of Baja may have different experiences.

In Cabo, those that 'have' embrace those that do not. It's a wonderful part of the culture we are humbled to be a part of.

Our crews regularly check up on, and see to it that families in the neediest of areas (barrios) have necessities.

No reports of crime but that's not to say there isn't any.

~Lori

Meanwhile, at the southern end of the Baja Peninsula, the Baja California Sur state prosecutor’s office said the body of 65-year-old Craig Harrison was found on the beach in Cabo Pulmo Saturday evening. An autopsy determined that he had been stabbed in the chest before ending up in the ocean.

Harrison, a citizen of South Africa and Canada who settled in Mexico, had been missing since Aug. 29. According to his real estate website, Harrison settled in Cabo San Lucas in 1997 after working as an accountant and a wine importer in Canada.

He ran a vacation rental business in Cabo.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/us-couple-fou...

mtgoat666 - 9-8-2020 at 05:56 AM

-----------

Jizz;
What if you are contagious and asymptomatic? Aren’t you then a danger to all you meet as you travel?

bajatrailrider - 9-8-2020 at 08:56 AM

try reading the news in San Diego then get sober . Get real the world is a dangerous place. if there was not a law no overnight camping on beach. On beach in SD would you do it I think not.

paranewbi - 9-8-2020 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
try reading the news in San Diego then get sober . Get real the world is a dangerous place. if there was not a law no overnight camping on beach. On beach in SD would you do it I think not.

Personally probably not, since the two were killed on Torrey Pines beach back in the 70's.

But reality is, a whole bunch of (homeless?) people are doing it every night. Even in the burbs you see people sleeping in the open on the sidewalk. And the ones that aren't doing it at night are sleeping in the day in their tents on the beach. Law is that one side of any tent needs to be open...but from what I have seen a lot are in camping tents...check out OB.

bajatrailrider - 9-8-2020 at 10:44 AM

yes wbi I'm totally aware of that . Being I'm from Santa Monica area so cal. The worthless mayor's for over 25 years. Have open door to homeless. To ruin that city make it unsafe to visit beach. On top off that have ordered SM pd back off. Removing bums on beach camping and drug dealing .with all the trash they leave. info is from hi up cop santa Monica PD. is if we don't know that all ready .

CaboMagic - 9-8-2020 at 04:33 PM

mtgoatetc
Had one interaction w/Craig then asked around.
He was a have that cared not about have nots.
.. a crime? some might say what goes around came around.
Thanks for sharing that useful bit of information.

RocketJSquirrel - 9-9-2020 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

One truism in Mexico: you can be robbed, kidnapped ANYWHERE. Probability is low, but there are criminals all over Mexico, and most travelers are ignorant of local risks.

Fact is you can be robbed, kidnapped or killed anywhere in the WORLD. Just living life is a risk.

As a flying squirrel, I have some knowledge of risk...

SFandH - 9-9-2020 at 09:14 AM

We have Mulege friends, native families for generations, who have advised us not to stop along the highway except at gas stations and to stay in hotels on our way down.

I'll take the advice of the local folks.

CasaMaximus - 9-17-2020 at 01:36 PM

We have seen a marked upswing in burglary in Todos Santos. My wife and I are stuck in Northern California but the reports from TS is that there have been significantly more crimes of desperation, otherwise good people resorting to desperate measures they otherwise wouldn’t.

Speaking of... If anyone finds a stainless door handle that looks like it came off a modern house drop me a note. ;)

Crime Here and There

MrBillM - 9-17-2020 at 04:40 PM

The BIG difference between encountering a criminal situation at home (in the U.S.) and in Mexico (or elsewhere abroad) is ...................

The 9mm always close.

Like the American Express card, (nowadays) never leave home without it.

motoged - 9-17-2020 at 04:55 PM

Through the taco news system I heard that a Canadian couple's home in Bahia Asuncion was recently burgled. The owners had not been down recently but the house and yard were being maintained by trustworthy local family who had done so for a number of years.

Que lastima.:(

weebray - 9-17-2020 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CasaMaximus  
We have seen a marked upswing in burglary in Todos Santos. My wife and I are stuck in Northern California but the reports from TS is that there have been significantly more crimes of desperation, otherwise good people resorting to desperate measures they otherwise wouldn’t.
;)

TS is experiencing rapid growth pains. The local police have little training or resources to deal with protecting the swag from being jacked. Add to the mix a few really bad hombres of a maleficent persuasion and you have a recipe for unrest. Normally, if the community becomes sufficiently toxic, the vigilante takes care of the problem. Methinks, at this point, the Raza tolerates the existence of a Robin Hood or two to spread the wealth.

CasaMaximus - 9-17-2020 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Quote: Originally posted by CasaMaximus  
;)

TS is experiencing rapid growth pains. The local police have little training or resources to deal with protecting the swag from being jacked. Add to the mix a few really bad hombres of a maleficent persuasion and you have a recipe for unrest. Normally, if the community becomes sufficiently toxic, the vigilante takes care of the problem. Methinks, at this point, the Raza tolerates the existence of a Robin Hood or two to spread the wealth.

Indeed.

CasaMaximus - 9-17-2020 at 07:55 PM

I dont think think this is BS even if it is second or third hand. I have an otherwise fearless friend (a seriously bad ass OG biker) who isn't leaving his house because his wife is afraid of IT. (whatever it is).

I was planning a drive South in an F250 when this thing (whatever IT is) and all my co-pilot "friends" evaporated. The badass biker says it's not safe (but neither is his front yard these days) others cite covid.

It's easier to blame an imaginary boogeyman than admit you are just afraid of IT (whatever it is). Grown men need to make grown up decisions that impact more than themselves i don't fault anyone for choosing the security or their couch if thst makes them happy.

Sixty Years Carrying

MrBillM - 9-18-2020 at 08:45 AM

More than a few "situations", a couple of close calls (including one with the law) and I'm still here. A shining example of "prudent and responsible" carry.

NOW, with the added (dubious) advantage that I'm so old and near the end that I needn't worry about any long-term consequences. Especially with COVID out there.

Never screw with someone who cares a lot less about seeing tomorrow than you do.

Salsa - 9-29-2020 at 11:43 AM

"Never screw with someone who cares a lot less about seeing tomorrow than you do."

That leaves out a lot of people.

And how true !!!!!!!!!!

Don

Allwaters - 10-30-2020 at 07:04 AM

Allwaters - 10-30-2020 at 07:08 AM

I am thinking as most of my trips down there, that if you avoid cities (as I do in any country including the USA) you are safer, crooks don't typically frequent out of the way places... usually but not always. This was pasted from the US Embassy regarding travel in Baja:

Baja California state – Exercise Increased Caution

Exercise increased caution due to crime.

Criminal activity and violence occur throughout the state. Particularly notable is the number of homicides in non-tourist areas of Tijuana. Most homicides appeared to be targeted; however, criminal organization assassinations and turf battles can result in bystanders being injured or killed.

Due to poor cellular service and hazardous road conditions, U.S. government employees may only travel on Highway 2D between Mexicali and Tijuana during daylight hours.

There are no additional restrictions on travel for U.S. government employees in Baja California, which includes tourist areas in: Ensenada, Rosarito, and Tijuana.

Baja California Sur state – Exercise Increased Caution

Exercise increased caution due to crime.

Criminal activity and violence occur throughout the state, including in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Bystanders have been injured or killed in shooting incidents related to criminal organization turf battles. Petty crime occurs frequently in tourist areas.

There are no restrictions on travel for U.S. government employees in Baja California Sur, which includes tourist areas in: Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and La Paz.

kylet - 10-30-2020 at 02:15 PM

I just returned from 2 1/2 weeks traveling with my wife and kids. I too avoid big cities, but felt as safe as usual in Loreto, La Paz and SJDC. That said, I never feel totally safe in any big city (including my local big city, LA) so we park in visible places and stay in our hotel/Airbnb once the sun goes down.

Certainly felt safe as normal camping away from cities.

I was paying attention to while passing through cities for signs of economic distress. I figured the uninvited window washing and nicnack peddling would be more aggressive if people were feeling desperate. I noticed nothing out of the normal there and never felt /more/ at risk of theft than normal.

If anything, it seemed like there was a huge amount of infrastructure spending (roads, bridges, street cleaning, etc) that was in response to lacking tourism income. I’ve never experienced such good driving in Baja in my 30 years of traveling there. Such good roads!

RocketJSquirrel - 10-31-2020 at 10:12 AM

I've lived here full time for seven years and I can't see an uptick in crime.

People here are used to adversity and government that is relatively ineffective. They are used to it. The only real difference is that these people KNOW what to do when things get bad, you put up an awning on the side of the road and start selling your stuff. Or burritos, or cornbread, or cheese, you trade stuff at the swap meet, or...

These people are smart. They will weather the coming difficulties much better than people north of the border.