BajaNomad

Border Crossing

Phil184 - 9-8-2020 at 09:23 PM

Hello, Can anyone provide information on the following?:

My sailboat is on the hard in Puerto Penasco. I want to drive down to launch it and sail it back to its hime in La Paz. We will be crossing the border the morning of October 16th. We want to cross at our usual Calexico/Mexicali East or II. Heres the catch there will be there persons and a dog, all crew of the boat. I know it has been only two persons per vehicle. Is this still the case? Any other info or advice appreciated.

SFandH - 9-9-2020 at 07:59 AM

I follow border crossing news and I haven't read anything recently about the "filters" being set up at Mexicali as before. I don't know if they did or not this past labor day weekend.

The following Mexicali website usually has articles about border crossing issues. As you probably know, most browsers will translate the Spanish to English if desired.

https://www.elimparcial.com/mexicali/

BajaDanD - 9-9-2020 at 08:21 AM

Crossed at Mexicali east last Friday stopped and got our tourist visas and off we went we were never questioned about why we were going to Mexico.
At the military checkpoints we were only asked where we were going .
We had 4 people in the truck. The only difference between that trip and every other trip we've made to Baja over the years was people wearing masks. About the same ratio of wearer's and not wearer's as in the states.

LemonWedge - 9-9-2020 at 08:21 AM

Hi SFandH, I just posted in trip report but I crossed at the Mexicali crossing on Saturday 9/5 and though we only had 2 people in the car (and 2 dogs) there were no personnel stopping or interacting with any cars. All cars just drove through, stopping for automated photos of what I assume were the license plates (and maybe us, the occupants). No one looked at us, our dogs, asked any questions, no visa, nothing.

JZ - 9-9-2020 at 12:57 PM

More news that the world is getting back to normal. Thanks for the good updates guys.

Phil184 - 9-9-2020 at 04:34 PM

Yes this is great news thanks. Follow up question: I plane on driving down alone before to work on the boat. I want to drive my work truck which is a utility bed pick up with racks and a ladder. The bed is all cabinets full of tools. I'm an electrician. Do you think I'll have any issue with that? I'm afraid they might think I'll be doing work in Mexico which is not the case. It would just. be easier to have all my tools with me.

torch - 9-9-2020 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Phil184  
Yes this is great news thanks. Follow up question: I plane on driving down alone before to work on the boat. I want to drive my work truck which is a utility bed pick up with racks and a ladder. The bed is all cabinets full of tools. I'm an electrician. Do you think I'll have any issue with that? I'm afraid they might think I'll be doing work in Mexico which is not the case. It would just. be easier to have all my tools with me.

work trucks full of materials Could be a Problem, tools not so much. I'm an electrician as well and would get the third degree at the border with electrical material in the back of my truck, until I started telling them I was working in San Diego and was going to party in TJ

Phil184 - 9-9-2020 at 08:20 PM

Thanks thats what I thought.

JZ - 9-9-2020 at 08:34 PM

Please report back on your experience.