BajaNomad

"Essential Travel Only" extended by Mexico until October 21

David K - 9-17-2020 at 02:06 PM

Just heard this from Baja Bound Insurance:

Translated to English:
After reviewing the development of the spread of # COVID19, he raised the extension, for another month, of the restrictions on non-essential land traffic on their common border.

Original Spanish:
Tras revisar el desarrollo de la propagación de #COVID19, planteó a la extensión, por un mes más, de las restricciones al tránsito terrestre no esencial en su frontera común.

Source: https://twitter.com/SRE_mx

[Edited on 9-17-2020 by David K]

Alm - 9-17-2020 at 02:23 PM

I have a feeling that "he" (the minister of foreign relations of Mexico) is the only person aware of such restrictions.

David K - 9-17-2020 at 02:56 PM

LOL... maybe? I saw official federal government seals, so I took it seriously.

Goyo - 9-17-2020 at 04:37 PM

Hi David, thanks for the update. Is anyone aware of any Americans who attempted to travel southbound on Hwy 1 only to be denied passage?
I would hate to be all packed for a three week trip only to be told to turn around and go back to the US.

JZ - 9-17-2020 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Goyo  
Hi David, thanks for the update. Is anyone aware of any Americans who attempted to travel southbound on Hwy 1 only to be denied passage?
I would hate to be all packed for a three week trip only to be told to turn around and go back to the US.

There have been many reports that you will have no problems.

pacificobob - 9-18-2020 at 05:53 AM

right, why respect the laws of Mexico? after all it only exists for your entertainment. why deny yourself the magnanimous and. righteous act of leaving a few coins behind to help the local peasants?

Alm - 9-18-2020 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Goyo  

The restrictions mentioned in post #1 are about the border, not about Hwy 1. Those official seals that David saw, don't seem to matter for Mexican border agents.

On the Hwy 1, however, there were occasional reports from tourists getting turned around at check-points. "Tourist" at this level seems to be defined as somebody looking like a tourist rather than somebody with FMM card. There is also an emphasis on local ties like having an electrical bill or property papers to some place South of the check-point (doesn't matter own or leased), OR term/perm resident papers.

[Edited on 9-18-2020 by Alm]

JZ - 9-18-2020 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

On the Hwy 1, however, there were occasional reports from tourists getting turned around at check-points. "Tourist" at this level seems to be defined somebody looking like a tourist rather than somebody with FMM card. There is also an emphasis on local ties like having an electrical bill or property papers to some place South of the check-point (doesn't matter own or leased), OR term/perm resident papers.

[Edited on 9-18-2020 by Alm]

This happened at the beginning. The reports from the last couple months haven't indicated this.

Alm - 9-18-2020 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
right, why respect the laws of Mexico? after all it only exists for your entertainment. why deny yourself the magnanimous and. righteous act of leaving a few coins behind to help the local peasants?

It looks to me that Mexican laws exist as an excuse for existence of Mexican government employees :). Little relation to reality. When I read comments on Twitter about that last extension of the restrictions, local "peasants" are shaking their heads in dismay that Americans come and go at will, like some Pedro around his casa. Tourist businesses are of course welcoming foreigners and their money.

SFandH - 9-18-2020 at 12:21 PM

I've walked across several times this summer at San Ysidro. I've walked right up to the Mexican immigration officers, showed them my FMM, and they say OK. No questions asked. In fact, I bought a new 180 day FMM, a tourist permit, last month.

I've also driven across twice. Got the green light and continued on.

There is a disconnect between the essential travel only rule and reality, that's for sure. But, the Mexican officials at the border, agents of the federal government, are not enforcing the rule. Period.

Tomorrow, who knows?

[Edited on 9-18-2020 by SFandH]

David K - 9-18-2020 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I've walked across several times this summer at San Ysidro. I've walked right up to the Mexican immigration officers, showed them my FMM, and they say OK. No questions asked. In fact, I bought a new 180 day FMM, a tourist permit, last month.

I've also driven across twice. Got the green light and continued on.

There is a disconnect between the essential travel only rule and reality, that's for sure. But, the Mexican officials at the border, agents of the federal government, are not enforcing the rule. Period.

Tomorrow, who knows?

[Edited on 9-18-2020 by SFandH]

Exactly the way it is in Baja... I posted the government word but made no judgements on if it is good or bad. We report, you decide ;)

Interesting point about Baja making its own rules separate from DF, is the Baja 500 is next week... Off Road Racing doesn't sound essential... but if you live in Baja, you welcome the income and fun it brings, as with other motorsports. This year, with Covide, there is no public crowding at the start or finish... other rules in force... but the race must go on as it has since 1968.

shari - 9-19-2020 at 11:28 AM

We have an increasing number of tourists visiting with surfboards, kayaks, fishing gear etc....obvious tourists...and none of them had any problems at all. No questions asked other than the normal ones at checkpoints.
Local treatment of visitors depends on the places you visit...here in Asuncion the locals are very welcoming and appreciate any little boost in the faltering economy.

Goyo - 9-19-2020 at 01:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies! If I encounter any problems, I'll be sure to report them here.

bajamary1952 - 9-19-2020 at 02:32 PM

If you check AirBnBs esp. in TJ, Rosarito or Ensenada they are always booked for the weekends. That "restriction" is a crock of crap.

David K - 9-19-2020 at 02:45 PM

As Nomads we know or know of people who cross south, proudly, when asked not to... Almost like the FMM deal: We know it is required, but rarely checked, and 'tons' of people pass the border without stopping to get one, even the free one, if less than a 7 day trip.

BajaRun - 9-19-2020 at 05:34 PM

I guess "Essential" is a relative term. I'm guessing to the people of Baja that rely on tourist dollars to feed their families essential would mean that tourist are essential to their survival.

To grumpy, negative, glass half empty people, pushing a certain government agenda, essential means something different.

JZ - 9-19-2020 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRun  
I guess "Essential" is a relative term. I'm guessing to the people of Baja that rely on tourist dollars to feed their families essential would mean that tourist are essential to their survival.

To grumpy, negative, glass half empty people, pushing a certain government agenda, essential means something different.

Yep. Very well said.

Also remember you can jump on a plane and fly from the US to Loretto and Cabo.

mtgoat666 - 9-19-2020 at 07:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaRun  

Yep. Very well said.

Also remember you can jump on a plane and fly from the US to Loretto and Cabo.

Everybody wants the disease to go away, but the selfish and clueless lack the discipline and smarts to do the social distancing to make it go away :(

Y’all are dreaming of a vaccine, but the vaccine is only going to be 70% effective...

1 million dead in USA by end of 2021? Or June 2021? Can we start a Deadpool to bet on date of reaching 1M corpses milestone?

JZ - 9-19-2020 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
[

Everybody wants the disease to go away, but the selfish and clueless lack the discipline and smarts to do the social distancing to make it go away :(

Y’all are dreaming of a vaccine, but the vaccine is only going to be 70% effective...

1 million dead in USA by end of 2021? Or June 2021? Can we start a Deadpool to bet on date of reaching 1M corpses milestone?

Does watching football make you cry?

The ppl rooting for the pandemic and a shutdown of life and economies are awful human beings.

mtgoat666 - 9-19-2020 at 09:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
[

Does watching football make you cry?

I never watch football. What a flocking waste of time to watch football. Boring! You really have to be a marooon to spend time watching football, it’s almost as slow and boring as baseball.

So, yes, if someone forced me to waste an evening or afternoon watching football, it would be torture, and I would cry,...
The horror! The horror!

[Edited on 9-20-2020 by mtgoat666]

RocketJSquirrel - 9-20-2020 at 04:52 PM

I think it might be important to go on and live your life and enjoy yourself, no matter WTF everyone else is thinking and doing. No matter what else is going on with the world.

To get all wound up about something on which you likely can/will have ZERO impact, serves no purpose at all except to virtue signal and to pump yourself up.

Get on with life. If you don't want to, at least try to enjoy the BS you are bathing in.

Bullwinkle and I will be flying to Baku this weekend. True or BS? Up to you to decide... Just as you have to decide is all the other rubbish the media puts out is True or BS.

[Edited on 9-20-2020 by RocketJSquirrel]

David K - 9-20-2020 at 05:18 PM

RocketJSquirrel - 9-20-2020 at 05:26 PM

Yes! We are on our way...

bajatrailrider - 9-20-2020 at 06:41 PM

was in Rosirto this Friday to Sunday the resort full all Ca plates . The two toll booths drive home south long wait . Sunday after noon many CA plates like holiday weekend. Life back to normal

mtgoat666 - 9-20-2020 at 06:53 PM

And one wonders why the infection rate and body count keeps increasing?
What me worry?
It’s like smoking, we always think it won’t happen to us!
Roll the dice on covid, might as well take up smoking too!

Don Pisto - 9-21-2020 at 02:10 PM

what an interesting group!:no:

John Harper - 9-21-2020 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
what an interesting group!:no:

You're already a contributing member.

John

BajaNaranja - 9-22-2020 at 09:56 AM

Look at the animosity and vitriol here. Is disgusting, and serves no purpose other than to further divide us.

Let's all try to be nice to somebody today, even if they aren't on your same political identity team.

motoged - 9-22-2020 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNaranja  
Look at the animosity and vitriol here. Is disgusting, and serves no purpose other than to further divide us.

Let's all try to be nice to somebody today, even if they aren't on your same political identity team.

You have a good point.

I have been biting my tongue lately but it is difficult to not react (never mind respond civilly) to some posters' idiotic positions.

I am offended by the suggestion that folks respecting the suggested behavioural guidelines presented by informed professionals are "basement dwellers living in fear" (what a John Wayneish BS heroic stance)....being promoted by individuals who somehow think their amateur views are to be respected.

Selfish immediate gratification for a desire to do whatever/whenever they want is NOT an exercise of personal "freedoms"....but rather is a myopic view of a greater good. And any conspiracy theorist just need a cat scan of their skull to see if it is hollow or just petrified gray matter.

It's difficult to maintain a non-reactive response to a clueless approach to risk management.

There is no zero on any risk management scale .

I am biting my tongue.....best as I can.

JZ - 9-22-2020 at 11:52 AM

We just need to cutoff the internet to those stuck in their basements. Let them out in a few years once the coast is clear. It will save them a lot of hand wringing from being mad others are living life.

paranewbi - 9-22-2020 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

You have a good point.

I have been biting my tongue lately but it is difficult to not react (never mind respond civilly) to some posters' idiotic positions.

I am offended by the suggestion that folks respecting the suggested behavioural guidelines presented by informed professionals are "basement dwellers living in fear" (what a John Wayneish BS heroic stance)....being promoted by individuals who somehow think their amateur views are to be respected.

Selfish immediate gratification for a desire to do whatever/whenever they want is NOT an exercise of personal "freedoms"....but rather is a myopic view of a greater good. And any conspiracy theorist just need a cat scan of their skull to see if it is hollow or just petrified gray matter.

It's difficult to maintain a non-reactive response to a clueless approach to risk management.

Just another chocolate in the candy box.

Offended? You rail against what you are Ged.
Go ahead and let loose or bite it, your choice. I'm not shaking in my boots.

And as for everyone 'just getting along'... College graduate of the Enlightenment? Peace, love and Tacos?
Better wear a steel collar because there's some who will cut your head off no matter how much you 'love'.

Even on this board. :spingrin:

[Edited on 9-22-2020 by paranewbi]

JZ - 9-22-2020 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Look at my passports?

[Edited on 9-23-2020 by JZ]

chippy - 9-22-2020 at 05:37 PM

Family shot JZ? I don´t think the US does 1 year passports :lol:

John Harper - 9-22-2020 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Aren't passports good 10 years? JZ must be at least 120 years old!!!

Why has he held that back for so long?

Boy, he really is an OLD fart.

John

[Edited on 9-23-2020 by John Harper]

JZ - 9-22-2020 at 05:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Aren't passports good 10 years? JZ must be at least 120 years old!!!

Why has he held that back for so long?

Boy, he really is an OLD fart.

John

[Edited on 9-23-2020 by John Harper]

Have been in the tech biz since leaving college. 50% of business has always been done in Europe and Asia.

They stopped adding additional pages to passports a while back. Visas from China, India, Brazil, etc. take full pages.

pacificobob - 9-22-2020 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

You have a good point.

X2 Jed

John Harper - 9-22-2020 at 06:01 PM

They stopped adding additional pages to passports a while back. Visas from China, India, Brazil, etc. take full pages.

So, it's the exact same passport, just more pages due to technicality? Got it.

Maybe paranewter can show the same? He probably uses his Bible, many more pages available to stamp.

John

Rousing Rhetorical Recreational Rapport

MrBillM - 9-23-2020 at 09:33 AM

Arguing with otra A-Hs is all good (mostly) clean FUN.

Costing (and affecting) NOTHING.

The limited time spent here would likely just be wasted elsewhere.

RocketJSquirrel - 9-23-2020 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Arguing with otra A-Hs is all good (mostly) clean FUN.

Costing (and affecting) NOTHING.

Is this NOT the definition of mental masturbation?

Mental Masturbation ?

MrBillM - 9-23-2020 at 01:43 PM

MOST (nearly all ?) opining here would fit that description.

Cerxes23 - 9-30-2020 at 11:46 AM

Okay, so this thread has clearly descended into insanity. For those of us that don't need to debate basic health and safety practices, what does the current situation of "essential travel only" actually mean for Americans trying to be tourists in Baja? Are we allowed in, or not?

motoged - 9-30-2020 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
MOST (nearly all ?) opining here would fit that description.

Hmmmmm....typing with one hand, Bill? :biggrin:

JZ - 9-30-2020 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cerxes23  
Okay, so this thread has clearly descended into insanity. For those of us that don't need to debate basic health and safety practices, what does the current situation of "essential travel only" actually mean for Americans trying to be tourists in Baja? Are we allowed in, or not?

Air travel to Loreto and Cabo is wide open.

No one is going to stop you from driving. Most hotels (all?) have opened back up. A lot of beaches and restaurants have as well.

In sum, go for it. Just use the same common sense you would at home.

chippy - 9-30-2020 at 03:32 PM

They(mexicanos) are deaming sport fishing as essential travel. Like JZ advised just use your mask and distance=alls good.

Lee - 9-30-2020 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cerxes23  

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-mex...
What is the current situation?

''COVID-19 risk in Mexico is high. CDC recommends travelers avoid all nonessential international travel to Mexico. Some examples of essential travel may include traveling for humanitarian aid work, medical reasons, or family emergencies. Older adults, people of any age with certain underlying medical conditions, and others at increased risk for severe illness should consider postponing all travel, including essential travel, to Mexico.

If you get sick in Mexico and need medical care, resources may be limited. Plan ahead and learn more about Getting Health Care Abroad.

If you get sick with COVID-19 (or test positive for COVID-19, even if you have no symptoms) while abroad, you may be isolated or not be permitted to return to the United States until you have recovered fully from your illness. If you get exposed to a person with COVID-19 while abroad, you may be quarantined or not be permitted to return to the United States until 14 days after your last exposure.''

The subject is essential travel defined by the US, not MX. Gringoes are welcome SOB because they bring money. There are no facilities to care for you if you get sick, and you could be stuck in Baja trying to get back.

There are seemingly young and immature posters here who would have you believe that wearing masks will deprive you of your freedoms. That the virus is a hoax and blown way out of proportion. That's probably what college students think and they don't understand why colleges are spiking with positive results.

I can travel to Pescadero any time I want but am holding off as I want to see how things will play out. I take precautions but in no hurry to get into trouble.

Anyone writing that Baja is safe, open for business, everything is cool, locals are welcoming, deaths and sickness is down, etc., is doing everyone here a disservice. They have limited information and in denial that there's a pandemic going on around us.

Look around and pay attention. Get in trouble down South and NO ONE is going to save you. I'm thinking the possibility of getting in trouble is 50/50 right now. It's too early to tell.

Adults make their own decisions about travel. Bullshlt advice posted here regarding life and death decisions is bad advice.

Essential is defined as necessary travel -- not party time with buddies. If you are wanting precautions, don't go South yet.

JZ - 9-30-2020 at 08:09 PM

If you are older and, or at risk, don't go.

Otherwise go and social distance. Get tested before you go. Hang out in your close knit circle.

JZ - 9-30-2020 at 08:19 PM

Baja California Norte lowered the threat level a couple days ago.

https://www.sandiegored.com/es/noticias/191710/A-partir-del-...

During the update of cases by Covid-19, the Secretary of Health of Baja California, Alonso Pérez Rico, notified that as of Monday the state begins activities in orange coloring of the epidemiological traffic light.

"We continue with the same activities, but the capacity of each one of them increases," said Pérez Rico, who indicated that this Sunday, September 27, they will present the activities that can be carried out and their capacity.

It is worth mentioning that on the afternoon of Friday, September 25, federal government health authorities turned Baja California in yellow. Given this, the Secretary of Health of this entity explained that:

“We continue to do what we have been doing since the beginning of this pandemic. The decisions that are made are made by Baja Californians, fully knowing our territory, understanding our dynamics: work, health, mobility, "said Pérez Rico, but he maintained that going from yellow to green, can only be decided by the state health authority, being in this case the governor, "we know our state better," he added.

So far Baja California has accumulated 19,062 positive cases, 3 thousand 480 deaths from Covid-19, and still remaining with 317 active cases. Although, at least 11,106 patients have recovered.

Lee - 9-30-2020 at 09:31 PM

If you are older and, or at risk, don't go.

Otherwise go and social distance. Get tested before you go. Hang out in your close knit circle.

x2.

Everyone is at risk. Old, young, college students. If you go, just be careful. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

JZ - 9-30-2020 at 10:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

x2.

Everyone is at risk. Old, young, college students. If you go, just be careful. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

That just isn't true Lee. The young and healthy have a much higher chance of being hurt in a crash on MX 1 then from Covid.

Sure it can happen, but is very rare in 50 yo's and under, and exceeding rare in 20 and under.

JZ - 10-1-2020 at 01:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

The virus will infect anybody equally, young, old, any race, either gender. Lungs are lungs, they're all the same to the virus. The difference is in the outcome. But regardless of the outcome, an infected person, any infected person, is a spreader carrying the virus infecting others. Eventually someone will die because of it. Considering only individual outcomes, as above, and not the mechanism of transmission of airborne infectious agents is missing a large part of the problem.

Jfc. You are twisting words.

He's said, "everyone is at risk." I commented on that.

Of course anyone can get it. Any one can spread it. I did not make a comment on this point. I said stay within your group, just like you should at home.

I've had it with you bud. You are one minute acting reasonable and the next doing crap like this. And I watch you make a reasonable post about traveling to Baja, and later delete it. Why? Not sure what type of game you are trying to play.

When this all started you spent 3-4 months telling us how much you read up on the 1918 virus and how it was going to mutate and kill millions of Americans.

I know you have been traveling to Baja the last couple months. You really need to figure out who you are.

Until you do, don't quote me again and don't bother commenting on the topic. You are being hypocritical and switching your stance every time the wind direction changes.

pacificobob - 10-1-2020 at 06:10 AM

i currently know more infected people here [BCS] than at any point since the pandemic began. that might be coincidence... might not....come on down! especially if you have total confidence in the local medical system to provide state of the art treatment if you become ill.

mtgoat666 - 10-1-2020 at 07:01 AM

There is limited health care for covid in baja. If an asymptomatic gringo tourist infects a local in baja, they are potentially causing sickness in that local or that persons family.

Do you tourists really want to be responsible for causing disability or death just because you want to go on fishing or surfing vacation?

Don Pisto - 10-1-2020 at 04:40 PM

:lol:...oh you guys!

Lost Roadie - 10-1-2020 at 04:42 PM

Some folks come here to get current info, the rest...

[Edited on 10-2-2020 by Lost Roadie]

David K - 10-1-2020 at 04:58 PM

Welcome to Nomad, Roadie!

Right after the IMG (or img) in the tag with this image, insert: =800x (no spaces). It will look like [IMG=800x] instead of just [IMG]. That way oversized photos will fit on forums without stretching them. You doing it also makes less work for Doug (BajaNomad)!

Lost Roadie - 10-1-2020 at 05:27 PM

Thanks David!

Edited.

Beyond the political BS as seen in this thread, the obviously very outdated forum software is the only thing that leaves a little something to be desired.... so many good photos posted - at 800x it really takes me back to 2003. haha But I understand some folks don't have 5k screens and fast internet.

Long time lurker and Baja traveler here and while I will certainly stay out taking sides in the opinion game, I really appreciate this resource and online community.

BornFisher - 10-1-2020 at 09:09 PM

Wondering if a northbound caravan from Honduras will be considered essenital.

David K - 10-2-2020 at 08:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lost Roadie  
Thanks David!

Edited.

Beyond the political BS as seen in this thread, the obviously very outdated forum software is the only thing that leaves a little something to be desired.... so many good photos posted - at 800x it really takes me back to 2003. haha But I understand some folks don't have 5k screens and fast internet.

Long time lurker and Baja traveler here and while I will certainly stay out taking sides in the opinion game, I really appreciate this resource and online community.

Yes, we are patiently hopeful that Doug will make Nomad more 'photo-posting friendly' but it is still the best way to read about Baja and using Nomad search (top left of forum page), you can retrieve data and posts back to 2002 when Nomad began.

The trend is Facebook for Baja businesses and activity, but it is so terrible at finding past posts, but there is a search feature there if you ask the right words! I have a Facebook group for Baja History and travel to historic sites... many Nomads are members and there are nearly 1,800 members now... So, until Facebook explodes or is made overly restrictive, it serves a purpose. But, there is nothing as user friendly as Baja Nomad for seeking info or sharing details thanks to the multiple forum categories here.

If you haven't yet discovered, by clicking Today's Posts on the top of the page, you instantly see all new activity from all the Nomad Baja forums, one page. Baja Trip Reports, Baja Road Conditions, and Baja Historic Interests and Literature, are my favorite forums for useful information and reading. The Baja Photo & Video Gallery forum is fun to see, too!

I look forward to reading more about your Baja connection and experiences! Welcome aboard!!