BajaNomad

September 2020 Baja Bound Article: Baja's Sulfur Mines *Photos added

David K - 9-19-2020 at 06:43 AM

A little history and travel directions to two sulfur mines, both off of Hwy. 5: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/sulfur_m...

[Edited on 9-20-2020 by David K]

David K - 9-20-2020 at 08:32 AM

Sulfur (sulphur) was always a fascinating element for me. I imagine it was the first mine I had seen, being that it was on the main road south of San Felipe and at the turnoff to a place we would camp at many times, Agua de Chale/ Nuevo Mazatlan. My dad showed me how this yellow rock burns with a blue flame, how wild! I would bring home a bucket of sulfur rocks to share with friends.

Some photos at the sulfur mine west of Nuevo Mazatlan, on the old Puertecitos road...

1974, age 16 (on my first trip with a friend, in my dune buggy):

1974 AAA Map:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 2001 I showed the Amigos de Baja around the sulfur mine on our Presidents Day Weekend group trip:

Included were Amo Pescar, Mike Humfreville, and bajaboy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 2004, we had a Presidents Day reunion camping trip, at Nuevo Mazatlan. We Amigos de Baja had become Baja Nomads, and more joined in. Including 'GeoRock' and her family...

My daughter and GeoRock's with a friend at the sulfur mine:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Years 2010, Baja Angel and I checked it out:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 2017, while researching the Baja Bound Road Guide:

This is where I was in the 1974 photo... vvv

1974 sulfur.jpg - 260kB

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

The other sulfur mine is south of Mexicali, access is near the Rio Hardy:
I was there in 2000 and 2017:

1974 AAA Map:

More old Sulfur Mine pics (1970-1961)

David K - 9-21-2020 at 12:48 PM

nomad 044.jpg - 77kB sulfur 1961.jpg - 192kB

sulfur 1961a.jpg - 217kB