BajaNomad

How to get to El Cardon surf spot?

steve5555 - 9-28-2020 at 01:58 AM

Do you take the paved road to Santa Rosalito and then just before town head north on dirt road? I have a 4WD sprinter and a 4x4 super duty.

Steve

TMW - 9-28-2020 at 05:08 AM

Never heard it called El Cardon surf spot. Most people refer to it as the 7 sisters. But yes you can take the paved road to Santa Rosalillita Hwy 1 at KM38 and turn north on the graded road. After San Jose de las Palomas (see almanac) it's a dirt road with some silt beds. Even with a 4x4 becareful.

You can also come in from Hwy 1 at KM 168 north of Catavina and reach the ocean at the San Jose area. Farro San Jose on David's map. David K put together some maps that show the area pretty good.

North of Faro San Jose the beaches are mostly rocky and south of there they are mostly sandy

I'm not a surfer but a good book that shows the surf places along there is called The Surfers Guide to Baja by Mike Parise.

[Edited on 9-28-2020 by TMW]

mtgoat666 - 9-28-2020 at 06:03 AM

The internet is killing secret surf spots.
Please do not reply to questions like this.

bajafreaks - 9-28-2020 at 06:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The internet is killing Baja if you ask me...

ehall - 9-28-2020 at 06:12 AM

Google Earth has eliminated all secrets

John Harper - 9-28-2020 at 06:24 AM

The internet is killing our country as well.

Can't wait for Bill O'Reilly's next book, Killing the United States.

John

SFandH - 9-28-2020 at 07:02 AM

It's not breaking today at any of thr Seven Sisters breaks. I just checked the SS surf cams, a real-time coastal drone video on Surfline, and the NOAA ocean swell bouy data super-imposed upon Google maps. A 1.63 meter swell from 312 degrees will arrive tomorrow at 0522 and break for 4.37 hours.

Shhh, it's a secret.

[Edited on 9-28-2020 by SFandH]

David K - 9-28-2020 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by steve5555  
Do you take the paved road to Santa Rosalito and then just before town head north on dirt road? I have a 4WD sprinter and a 4x4 super duty.

Steve

Yes, El Cardón is on the graded dirt highway running north from Santa Rosalillita. It is 23 miles north of the pavement to El Cardón ranch and 1 more mile to the beach camp road... This is by Punta Diablo:

The paved road to Santa Rosalillita is at Km. 38.5. Go west 7.8 miles to the dirt highway running north. The good graded road ends at the Punta Cono junction. 4WD is best to continue north.

WestyWanderer - 9-28-2020 at 07:55 AM

Cardon might as well be San Miguel, the only thing keeping it less crowded is it’s remote location, everybody knows where it is.

Steve, you don’t even need 4x4 to get there unless it’s rained recently. Having said that, the best camping spots at Cardon are much easier to get into with 4x4. DK’s description is spot on.

steve5555 - 9-28-2020 at 09:42 AM

Thanks everyone. I had seen a dirt road off of Hwy 1 (north of the junction to Santa Rosalita) and it looked quicker. Im guessing though that it is impassable. Im a premium member of Surfline and their google directions sent me the route via Santa Rosalita. Just wanted to check. thanks.

As always we will try hard to be respectful of the countryside and coast.

Steve

David K - 9-28-2020 at 10:22 AM

It is spelled "Rosalillita" but incorrectly sometimes as "Rosaliita". Yes, it means "Little Santa Rosalía"... the original name for the point. See this map from 1930:

1941 map:

The name was altered to 'Santa Rosalillita' after the French Mine Town of the same name became famous in books, perhaps soon after WWII, to prevent confusion!

David Nuevo - 9-28-2020 at 10:31 AM

The name was officially changed many years ago to "El Crowd-On".

David K - 9-28-2020 at 01:12 PM

"Little Rosalia" is Rosalillita... traditional spelling at all places with the same name. A double i (ii) has never been seen by me in place names or Spanish words... have you see it?
INEGI makes so many map errors, I just don't trust them to get this right, lol!

I have never seen the Auto Club spell a Baja place wrong:

Also, The Lower California Guidebook (1956-1970):

JZ - 9-28-2020 at 03:31 PM

Santa Rosaliíta per Google Maps.

SFandH - 9-28-2020 at 03:36 PM

Normally, to form the diminutive of a word ending in "a", you drop the a and add "ita"

casa -> casita
perra -> perrita
caja -> cajita

so.....Rosalia -> Rosaliita

pronounced rosa-lee-eeta with the accent on the second ee.

How Rosalillita came about is a mystery.

[Edited on 9-28-2020 by SFandH]

David K - 9-28-2020 at 03:40 PM

Maybe it is a new word? I don't know and I have no input on the original Rosalillita spelling vs this new, millennial Rosaliita.

Can you give examples of the double i in other place names in Baja... or even in Mexico?

David Nuevo - 9-28-2020 at 03:42 PM

Remember, the language was being spoken before all the spelling and grammar rules came along to try to make sense of it all. Easy to see how the two different spellings could be applied to the same pre-existing pronunciation.

JZ - 9-28-2020 at 03:42 PM

There are road signs for it off MX 1. What do they say?

vandy - 9-28-2020 at 03:51 PM

And as far as native spelling skills, I wish I had taken pictures of the series of official signs I saw on a bridge on hwy 1 between Santiago and Miraflores.

The first said "Puente Las Vivoras".
A month or so later it was "Bivoras"
The last and current one reads correctly "Viboras"

They are all pronounced the same.

2009 Baja Almanac (made from Mexican INEGI maps)

David K - 9-28-2020 at 04:14 PM

Now, it is true that Landon added names, mileages, etc. I don't know if he changed any spellings?

Here is the 2009 Almanac with the traditional spelling of the town, point, and bay:

David K - 9-28-2020 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandy  
And as far as native spelling skills, I wish I had taken pictures of the series of official signs I saw on a bridge on hwy 1 between Santiago and Miraflores.

The first said "Puente Las Vivoras".
A month or so later it was "Bivoras"
The last and current one reads correctly "Viboras"

They are all pronounced the same.

LOL, yes the B and V is interchangeable at times!

Is this vendor in San Quintín selling GOOD pitayas: VUENA = BUENA ??

Archie - 9-28-2020 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Yeah, I hear your doubts about INEGI, but with all due respect, if I have to decide between trusting your individual experience or professional Mexican cartographers over official spelling of names in their country and their native language, well...

Anyway, what we foreigners think is moot: If the Federación wants to deal with that town, the reference name they will use is determined by INEGI, not some outsider who barely understands Spanish. For pragmatic reasons, I'd listen to the actual authority.

[Edited on 9-28-2020 by lencho]

David K - 9-28-2020 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Both the tall and the low signs: SANTA ROSALILLITA

StaRosalillitaTall.jpg - 217kB StaRosalillita.jpg - 226kB

David K - 9-28-2020 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
INEGI is NOT a good source for correct place names, always.

I don't doubt that, but your picture of how they work may not be totally accurate. They have an office in La Paz, and during the 90's they had a bunch of people working out of there, running mapping operations at least for BCS, with field personnel out personally driving and hiking even into remote areas.

I don't know all the details, but I do know they were doing GIS processing of the collected data in that office, so it's not as if it were all done from some disconnected skyscraper in Mexico City...

The topographic detail is fine... it is the names they apply to locations that is not 100%, that's all I am saying. I am currently reviewing INEGI sheet maps... and am looking for errors just so we can have the best information available. It is what I like to do having been a Baja map fan for 55 years!

JZ - 9-28-2020 at 06:05 PM

That's how I have it labeled in my GE way points I made over the years. I'm gonna stick with that.

[Edited on 9-29-2020 by JZ]

JZ - 9-28-2020 at 08:38 PM

My second biggest take away from this thread is finding Punta Diablo.

Been to the SS 5-6 times, but haven't been to this bay yet. Looking forward to seeing it over the next couple months.

David Nuevo - 9-28-2020 at 08:38 PM

As for the B and V thing, sometimes the locals will ask you if something is spelled with "V de Vaca" or "B de Burro"; the difference in pronunciation can be hard to distinguish.

WestyWanderer - 9-28-2020 at 08:49 PM

Fun little surf spot at Diablo JZ. Usually pretty protected by the wind, long sandy bottom waves.

Uh oh, is the goat going to yell at me now to exposing more “secret” spots? :o:o:o

vacaenbaja - 9-28-2020 at 09:31 PM

The double L is pronounced like the y in yellow. The pronunciation of ll in the Spanish alphabet is ey-yay. So the word llamo (which means name) would sound like yamo.

David K - 9-29-2020 at 06:07 AM

My second biggest take away from this thread is finding Punta Diablo.

Been to the SS 5-6 times, but haven't been to this bay yet. Looking forward to seeing it over the next couple months.

From my Trip #4 report, Punta Diablo/ El Cardón Beach: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86376

[Edited on 9-29-2020 by David K]

pappy - 10-3-2020 at 07:41 AM

Hep c point...

El Jefe - 10-3-2020 at 03:48 PM

That's how I have it labeled in my GE way points I made over the years. I'm gonna stick with that.

So if I can remember my Spanish language schooling from years ago it would go something like this;

Santa Rosa = un pueblo
Santa Rosalia = un pueblito
Santa Rosalillita = un pueblitotito

But I defer to the native speakers for the real thing. And Santa Rosalillita is not that little tiny place it once was with that fancy harbor and all.:smug:

del mar - 10-3-2020 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  

So if I can remember my Spanish language schooling from years ago it would go something like this;

Santa Rosa = un pueblo
Santa Rosalia = un pueblito
Santa Rosalillita = un pueblitotito

But I defer to the native speakers for the real thing. And Santa Rosalillita is not that little tiny place it once was with that fancy harbor and all.:smug:

still the road to nowhere!

David K - 10-3-2020 at 04:12 PM

Curious why there is no text from El Jefe??? Tom, try again!