BajaNomad

Road from San Felipe to Hwy. 1

bball123 - 10-12-2020 at 11:20 AM

I'm planning on a Baja trip maybe in the late Spring or early Fall of 2021. I have traveled the Baja many times. The last time in Fall of 2018 I drove the road from San Felipe to Puertocitos and Gonzaga to Hwy. 1 the road had just been flooded and bridges, etc had been washed out. Also the road was not completed. So basically I am asking if the highway damage has been fixed and if the highway from Gonzaga on to Hwy 1 is completed yet. Also is Coco still around as we like to visit him when we travel that way.
Thank you! Dennis at dennis@willapabay.org

David K - 10-12-2020 at 11:33 AM

All finished, all repaired, in great shape per the most recent reports.

Coco is at his Corner but the word is he will move the corner to the highway.
The new highway bypassed the Corner, cutting the distance. Coco's Corner is 4.2 miles from Km. 179 (Las Arrastras) on Hwy. 5.

Paulina - 10-12-2020 at 12:33 PM

Drove Hwy. 5 a couple of days ago. It was good from end to end. There is a hand painted sign on the side of the road to direct you to Coco's, should you want to visit.

P>*)))>{

David K - 10-12-2020 at 01:57 PM

Paulina, do you recall if there was a second road signed (down in the canyon) to access to old road to Coco's from that end?

Paulina - 10-12-2020 at 05:42 PM

David,

We seem to remember only one road signed, it would have been on the northern end of his zone. Going that way south tomorrow, will try to remember to watch for another.

P>*)))>{

David K - 10-12-2020 at 06:27 PM

Super and please note the kilometer marker nearest it, please!

bball123 - 10-13-2020 at 02:44 PM

Thank you for the highway report. It sure sounds better than our last 3 or 4 trips on that road. Now I only have to wait until we can get rid of the Covid or get vaccinated.

Paulina - 10-15-2020 at 10:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Super and please note the kilometer marker nearest it, please!

The turn off to Coco's Corner from Hwy. 5 is at Km 179.

P>*)))>{

David K - 10-16-2020 at 07:54 AM

Yes, thanks... we did learn that from geoffff and others as well. It was the southern access road, in the canyon I was hoping to hear a km. marker for.

Another fun fact we learned is that the kilometer markers jump up 3 extra kilometers south of Km. 167 (where the pavement had ended for several years)... That makes all those beyond off by 3. The north Coco's road being Km. 179 (instead of 176)!

Udo - 10-17-2020 at 09:51 AM

That's a relief! I thought I messed up on my math...and I never do that!

Yes, thanks... we did learn that from geoffff and others as well. It was the southern access road, in the canyon I was hoping to hear a km. marker for.

Another fun fact we learned is that the kilometer markers jump up 3 extra kilometers south of Km. 167 (where the pavement had ended for several years)... That makes all those beyond off by 3. The north Coco's road being Km. 179 (instead of 176)!

David K - 10-17-2020 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
That's a relief! I thought I messed up on my math...and I never do that!

You must be a detailaholic, like me! I was kind of hoping the highway department would correct this error before my road guide is printed!

aburruss - 10-17-2020 at 03:44 PM

The road south of San Felipe is amazing. Here's it at night just north of Percebu... better than a lot of roads in the US...

highway5.jpg - 140kB

[Edited on 10-17-2020 by aburruss]