BajaNomad

Crossing into the US from Valle de Guadalupe

LemonWedge - 10-12-2020 at 02:38 PM

Two questions for the group:

1. I'll be driving back up Baja into the USA end of this month, making Valle de Guadalupe our last stop. Should we try to cross through at Tecate or TJ/San Ysidro?

2. We neglected to get tourist cards on our way down into Baja (didn't really know we had to do that) and I'm wondering if you all have been asked to show them on your way back home to the USA.

RocketJSquirrel - 10-12-2020 at 02:45 PM

In seven years of living here full time, I've never even been asked to show an ID. Ever. Coming in. Going out (except USA passport on entry to USA). I suspect you'll be fine.

thebajarunner - 10-12-2020 at 02:53 PM

US doesn't care and Mexico doesn't seem to enforce.
Don't wreck...might be an issue on your insurance.

LemonWedge - 10-12-2020 at 03:04 PM

Thank you both - that's what we've heard but it only takes on person to freak out and tell you you MUST get this tourist card or you'll be in big trouble. I appreciate this forum's expertise. No wrecks...so far.

apple - 10-12-2020 at 03:07 PM

Tecate is a good crossing from the Valle, definitely less traffic than at Otay or SY, and the trip will probably be about the same amount of time.

No one will ask for your papers leaving the country.

LemonWedge - 10-12-2020 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by apple  
Tecate is a good crossing from the Valle, definitely less traffic than at Otay or SY, and the trip will probably be about the same amount of time.

No one will ask for your papers leaving the country.

Thank you apple! The route seems more direct coming out of VdG to go to Tecate vs back tracking and going through more crowded towns...that'll be our plan.

TMW - 10-13-2020 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
US doesn't care and Mexico doesn't seem to enforce.
Don't wreck...might be an issue on your insurance.

I've been in two wrecks in Baja and my son another and no one ever asked for our tourist papers only drivers license and insurance papers. If you don't speak good Spanish you'll need someone with you who does when dealing with the Federal Police. They don't like to discuss things in English, everyone else no problem.

AKgringo - 10-13-2020 at 11:07 AM

I think that the concern about not having an FFM in an accident, is not with the authorities, but about an insurance provider using your less than legal status as a loophole to reject coverage.

Howard - 10-13-2020 at 11:26 AM

Highly recommend the crossing at Tecate. Much prettier drive and much less stress in the line. The town is known for bogus traffic stops so always make sure you come to a complete stop behind the line at stop signs of which there will be many.

David K - 10-13-2020 at 11:53 AM

TECATE BORDER CLOSES AT 2 PM (since Covid restrictions were in place).