BajaNomad

Border restrictions easing Oct 21?

TecateRay - 10-15-2020 at 08:26 AM

Any news on border crossing restrictions easing late October?

defrag4 - 10-15-2020 at 09:33 AM

doubt it

mtgoat666 - 10-15-2020 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TecateRay  

Well, according to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau... he said the border with the United States will remain closed to non-essential travel until the U.S. gets coronavirus under control.

"We have committed to keeping Canadians safe and we keep extending the border closures because the United States is not in a place where we would feel comfortable reopening those borders," he told the hosts of "The Start" in a radio interview Wednesday. "We see the cases in the United States and elsewhere around the world, and we need to continue to keep these border controls in place."

Basically, USA has blown it, and Canada said clean up your germy act if you want us to open border.

Now, on the southern border, USA is restricting Mexicans, despite no proof that Mexico problem is worse then USA problem; and Mexico is Mexico, there are no rules!

[Edited on 10-15-2020 by mtgoat666]

JZ - 10-15-2020 at 03:59 PM

No one is going to stop you or care. Go for it.

Hook - 10-16-2020 at 08:30 AM

I dont know a single person who has had trouble crossing in either direction across the Mexican border, between AZ and Sonora. This covers dozens of crossings in the last few months. Tourist visas, RTs, RPs, you name it. I cant recall anyone even being questioned by Mexican authorities if their travel was "essential".

The Baja crossings are probably no different.

This is with respect to US citizens only.

Virtually every single Canadian I know from San Carlos left in March. Apparently, they were given notice that the heath insurance rider that many purchase for their passage through the US, would expire by some date. I believe it might have been March 31st.

For many of my Canadian friends, this will be the first time they have spent winter in Canada in literally decades.

[Edited on 10-16-2020 by Hook]

Tioloco - 10-16-2020 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I dont know a single person who has had trouble crossing in either direction across the Mexican border, between AZ and Sonora. This covers dozens of crossings in the last few months. Tourist visas, RTs, RPs, you name it. I cant recall anyone even being questioned by Mexican authorities if their travel was "essential".

Virtually every single Canadian I know from San Carlos left in March. Apparently, they were given notice that the heath insurance rider that many purchase for their passage through the US, would expire by some date. I believe it might have been March 31st.

For many of my Canadian friends, this will be the first time they have spent winter in Canada in literally decades.

Sonora and Baja crossings have been wide open with the exception of reduced hours at San Luis and Algodones.

Yes, many of the Canadians got a pretty good reminder of their lack of freedom. They have always had a set amount of time they are allowed to be out of country before losing their benefits. Maybe this will prompt them to push for more freedom from their government.

[Edited on 10-16-2020 by Tioloco]

David K - 10-16-2020 at 09:30 AM

Will an entire winter go by without wall to wall Canadian RVs along Bahía Concepción? I am sorry they will not be able to thaw out in Baja this year!!!

2017:

1953:

mtgoat666 - 10-16-2020 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Will an entire winter go by without wall to wall Canadian RVs along Bahía Concepción? I am sorry they will not be able to thaw out in Baja this year!!!

2017:

1953:

comparing the pictures, it apears sea level rise took out the palo verde tree, and the palm is looking like it is about to fall...

earth is warming, seas are rising, the end is near, vote blue!

Can GOAT be right for once?

John M - 10-16-2020 at 10:13 AM

oh, I just noticed the shadows - morning vs afternoon - probably the tide change accounts for the apparent change in water level.

Shucks, GOAT may still be batting 0%

John M

motoged - 10-16-2020 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

Yes, many of the Canadians got a pretty good reminder of their lack of freedom. ......Maybe this will prompt them to push for more freedom from their government.

Very misleading comment. Canadians are respecting the efforts to minimize the risk to themselves and others presented by selfish "my rights" bullchit.

Take a good look at your country's efforts to care for self and others..... and even Helen Keller could see the irresponsibility of the thinking of your ilk.

I miss my times in Baja....and look forward to when it is clearly a good decision to travel. Until then ......:light:

KasloKid - 10-16-2020 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Not all insurance companies pulled the rug out from under their clients.. ours continued to cover us until the policy expired (MediPac and BCAA)

First winter in a long time will be spent at home this year. Jeez, I just concluded a deal on a snowblower yesterday!

We've been pushing for an extended time allowed out of country (Canada) for some time now and have made some progress. There's another battle we're fighting, and that's with the US government. We're only allowed 182 days/year in the US and have to fill out forms from the IRS every year proving we have a "closer connection to Canada than the USA". The consequence being we would be subject to income tax payable on our Canadian income to the IRS as well. We're working on that issue as well.

The issue that really ticks me off is we Canadians aren't allowed to drive across the border to the USA for "non-essential travel" but we can fly without any consequence. The US government has been questioned by dozens of agencies without a response.

Snow is creeping down the mountainside and will be on our driveways and local highways soon.

Tioloco - 10-16-2020 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Yes, many of the Canadians got a pretty good reminder of their lack of freedom. ......Maybe this will prompt them to push for more freedom from their government.

Very misleading comment. Canadians are respecting the efforts to minimize the risk to themselves and others presented by selfish "my rights" bullchit.

Take a good look at your country's efforts to care for self and others..... and even Helen Keller could see the irresponsibility of the thinking of your ilk.

I miss my times in Baja....and look forward to when it is clearly a good decision to travel. Until then ......:light:

Nothing misleading about it. Canadians have never been allowed to be “out of country for more than x number of months” without losing their benefits.

Isnt that correct?

Also, you and your sky is falling ilk can comtinue in your basement bunkers. Life is dangerous to your health.
I respect your decision to stay home with the curtains drawn closed.

motoged - 10-16-2020 at 10:48 AM

What a goof :lol::lol::lol:

Tioloco - 10-16-2020 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
What a goof :lol::lol::lol:

Nice answer:rolleyes:

motoged - 10-16-2020 at 11:04 AM

De nada

surabi - 10-16-2020 at 09:55 PM

Yes, many of the Canadians got a pretty good reminder of their lack of freedom.

Funny thing, none of my Canadian friends and family seem the least bit upset about not having the freedom to infect others or be infected with a deadly virus.

Oddly, they all also seem to appreciate that Canada's approach has led to less than one third the COVID death rate of the US.

I guess they just don't care about not having the "right" to behave like ignorant idiots.

David K - 10-17-2020 at 07:09 AM

Maybe someday Canada will cut the umbilical cord with the Royal family and become a republic? LOL

Alm - 10-19-2020 at 06:19 PM

Extended until late November, it was in the news yesterday. The agreement is 3-lateral, it requires to get the epidemic under control in 3 signatory countries. In the US new cases have been trending up since mid September. Same in Canada, up-trend for the last several weeks though no comparison to the US, lower incidence of cases and deaths per capita. Oddly, in Mexico it looks like trending down - very slowly - since July, and now is comparable to Canada, but I wouldn't put much trust in their numbers.

eguillermo - 10-21-2020 at 05:47 PM

From all I can gather from y'all already in Mexico, Mt. Goat has got it right at " on the southern border, USA is restricting Mexicans, despite no proof that Mexico problem is worse then USA problem; and Mexico is Mexico, there are no rules!"

As for getting back, and the official memo seems to say pretty clearly that "this action does not prevent U.S. citizens from returning home."

OK so far. But rules aside, people's attitudes matter, and I gotta wonder:

-- Will people be peeed off or hostile at a masked gringo turista pushing a cart around at Ley supermarket?

-- Will the nice people at pollos a la carbon places still be nice and serve me a medio pollo that makes a wonderful camp dinner?

-- Does Pemex still sell gringos gas? :D

If those are all "yes" conditions, then I think I can make my usual trip which is made up almost entirely of solo kayaking and camping out by myself. Ley supermarket is the most crowded place I ever go, and it seems hard to avoid resupplying a few times there.

defrag4 - 10-21-2020 at 06:03 PM

2017:

1953:

im hoping to have it all to myself! :O

Being in the Commonwealth has its advantages...

Whale-ista - 10-21-2020 at 11:05 PM

Maybe someday Canada will cut the umbilical cord with the Royal family and become a republic? LOL

Being a citizen of the British Commonwealth allows one to immigrate to New Zealand, which has very strict immigration regulations, and a very successful response to COVID.

When it comes to COVID: I'll take the Queen and New Zealand or Canada any day. (England- not so much...)

Here are the latest COVID reports from New Zealand.

As at 9.00 am, 22 October 2020
Total Change in last 24 hours
Number of confirmed cases in New Zealand 1,558 2
Number of probable cases 356 0
Number of confirmed and probable cases 1,914 2
Number of recovered cases 1,831 0
Number of deaths 25 0
Number of active cases 58 2
Number of cases currently in hospital 0 0

JZ - 10-22-2020 at 12:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  

Being a citizen of the British Commonwealth allows one to immigrate to New Zealand, which has very strict immigration regulations, and a very successful response to COVID.

When it comes to COVID: I'll take the Queen and New Zealand or Canada any day. (England- not so much...)

Number of deaths 25 0

New Zealand has a population of less than 5M ppl. It has more land size than the UK, which has 70M ppl.

New Zealand is two islands with no border countries. Very few ppl go there for business, which helped greatly in the early days.

Of course NZ has great Covid numbers.

[Edited on 10-22-2020 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 10-22-2020 at 07:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Number of deaths 25 0

New Zealand has a population of less than 5M ppl. It has more land size than the UK, which has 70M ppl.

New Zealand is two islands with no border countries. Very few ppl go there for business, which helped greatlyin the early days.

Of course NZ has great Covid numbers.

[Edited on 10-22-2020 by JZ]

NZ did have outbreaks of covid, and they stopped it thru strict public health measures— what you call “lockdown.”
Proof that social distancing and mandatory restrictions work.

eastmeetswest - 10-27-2020 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
From all I can gather from y'all already in Mexico, Mt. Goat has got it right at " on the southern border, USA is restricting Mexicans, despite no proof that Mexico problem is worse then USA problem; and Mexico is Mexico, there are no rules!"

As for getting back, and the official memo seems to say pretty clearly that "this action does not prevent U.S. citizens from returning home."

OK so far. But rules aside, people's attitudes matter, and I gotta wonder:

-- Will people be peeed off or hostile at a masked gringo turista pushing a cart around at Ley supermarket?

-- Will the nice people at pollos a la carbon places still be nice and serve me a medio pollo that makes a wonderful camp dinner?

-- Does Pemex still sell gringos gas? :D

If those are all "yes" conditions, then I think I can make my usual trip which is made up almost entirely of solo kayaking and camping out by myself. Ley supermarket is the most crowded place I ever go, and it seems hard to avoid resupplying a few times there.

Just returned from a trip to San Jose and the East Cape. Flew in and Flew out of SJD. Drove around the south end of the Cape. They are happy to see Gringos. NO problems anywhere. Never had my temperature checked so often. Restaurants, grocery stores, massage, drug store, lawyer's office. The soles of my shoes got cleaned everywhere. They are managing the people and the virus with respect. No masks at the Pemex. We felt comfortable almost everywhere.

Allwaters - 10-29-2020 at 03:14 PM

Here's what I found... it appears the border still technically closed to non essential travel ie: tourism (that would be most if not all of us) They seem to continue this pattern, not sure if this will change after our elections or not.. I surely hope so as I am looking to go this coming January...
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/10/19/fact-sheet-dhs-measures-...

JZ - 10-29-2020 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Allwaters  

not sure if this will change after our elections or not.. I surely hope so as I am looking to go this coming January...

Go for it. Life is too short.

bajatrailrider - 10-29-2020 at 03:56 PM

border open come enjoy live life just be careful .

Allwaters - 10-29-2020 at 04:03 PM

Here's what I found... it appears the border still technically closed to non essential travel ie: tourism (that would be most if not all of us) They seem to continue this pattern, not sure if this will change after our elections or not.. I surely hope so as I am looking to go this coming January...
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/10/19/fact-sheet-dhs-measures-...

bajatrailrider - 10-29-2020 at 06:52 PM

that is good news but border has been wide open. Zero problem

mtgoat666 - 10-29-2020 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
that is good news but border has been wide open. Zero problem

Most Mexicans are prohibited from non-essential entry to USA, so ain’t wide open by any measure. Only open for gringos.

1Bajalover - 10-30-2020 at 02:04 PM

now that will be something - for others to be able to be beachfront for a while this season - kinda nice - sorry for the Canadians not getting to Baja but glad for the others that have no room to camp there all season to be able to enjoy having more choices

Alm - 11-1-2020 at 05:26 PM

Deaths per 100,000 population, USA: 70, NZ: 0.5, Canada: 27.

This is per 100,000 so total population is not a factor. Korea have 0.9 deaths per 100,000, China - 0.34, both countries have quite extensive land border.

There was a spike in daily cases in NZ in September and was quickly contained. Unlike most other countries the 2nd wave in NZ was not higher than the 1st wave, and came down since September.

Deaths are lagging behind the new cases by ~ 1 month, the number of active cases and hospitalizations is more informative.

Right now people aged 20-50 account for the majority of new cases in the USA and Canada. They don't contribute much to mortality because are mostly asymptomatic or mild symptoms, but are spreading the infection same well.