BajaNomad

Trailer camping recommendations

Whale-ista - 10-17-2020 at 06:30 PM

Seeking recommendations for favorite Baja camping areas, suitable for a small trailer. After years of "dry camping" around the peninsula in a Callen camper: it's been upgraded to include a small (14') trailer!

Like the Callen: it's constructed with an all-metal frame, with aluminum exterior, so should hold up well on rough road. (No immediate plans for extreme off-roading). The previous owner was a Baja enthusiast, so it's been into Baja before.

The tentative plan is to head south in late December/early January- but no set itinerary or schedule. Seeking recommendations on campsites that are "trailer friendly" for access, anywhere along the peninsula.

Hookups nice but not required- the trailer is set up for "boondocking" as well as formal campgrounds: double propane tanks, 100W solar panel when parked, and direct charging from truck to battery while driving.

(If/when I find myself in the south during warmer months, I'll seek electricity to run the AC.)

Safety/security is important, in case the trailer is left in place while the truck is used for day trips, exploring less accessible areas nearby.

Thanks in advance for recommendations and suggestions- I'm excited to explore the peninsula with a new rig!

advrider - 10-17-2020 at 07:36 PM

If you are staying in San Felipe head to Kiki's, North end of town on the water. Clean, cheap and friendly. In BOLA we like to stay at La Gringa or one of the camp grounds on your right as you head to La Gringa. The camp grounds have showers and water, La Gringa is dry camping.
Look up David K's maps that show camp locations and other info, I think it's under road conditions?
Looks like you found a perfect little trailer, how about some more pictures and a little view of the inside?

[Edited on 10-18-2020 by advrider]

mtgoat666 - 10-17-2020 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Seeking recommendations for favorite Baja camping areas, suitable for a small trailer. After years of "dry camping" around the peninsula in a Callen camper: it's been upgraded to include a small (14') trailer!

Like the Callen: it's constructed with an all-metal frame, with aluminum exterior, so should hold up well on rough road. (No immediate plans for extreme off-roading). The previous owner was a Baja enthusiast, so it's been into Baja before.

The tentative plan is to head south in late December/early January- but no set itinerary or schedule. Seeking recommendations on campsites that are "trailer friendly" for access, anywhere along the peninsula.

Hookups nice but not required- the trailer is set up for "boondocking" as well as formal campgrounds: double propane tanks, 100W solar panel when parked, and direct charging from truck to battery while driving.

(If/when I find myself in the south during warmer months, I'll seek electricity to run the AC.)

Safety/security is important, in case the trailer is left in place while the truck is used for day trips, exploring less accessible areas nearby.

Thanks in advance for recommendations and suggestions- I'm excited to explore the peninsula with a new rig!

San Pedro martir is great. Campground is pretty safe to leave your rig. Cool season is nice, as the crowds are gone, and wood is abundant for evening fires. Days are great temp for hiking and mtn biking. Mtn biking on the plateau is great, lots of old roads in DG soil, and motorized vehicles banned (no knuckle draggers, no trumpistas! They can’t walk or bicycle) - fastest way to get to the meadows is mtn bikes.

JZ - 10-17-2020 at 09:15 PM

If you can get it to one of the bays in the SS's that would be really cool spot. Punta Lobos or Punta Maria. Guessing you can, but couldn't say for sure.

Lots of stuff to explore around there over a couple days or even a week.

advrider - 10-17-2020 at 09:30 PM

What JZ said would be top on my list.

Whale-ista - 10-17-2020 at 11:06 PM

Some specs/interior photos of the trailer. The table converts to a queen size bed, and there's a bunk above the table that folds up for travel.

advrider - 10-18-2020 at 08:22 PM

Perfect little trailer, love the layout. I need something more off-road capable for myself, other wise it would be on my list. Enjoy and report back on your trip please.

[Edited on 10-20-2020 by advrider]