BajaNomad

Why are U.S. Americans called Americans

TMW - 10-18-2020 at 01:07 PM

In today's Parade magazine in Ask Marilyn a reader posted that they had an exchange student from South America who expressed his displeasure at U.S. Citizens referring to themselves as Americans and using phrases such as made in America. He said he lived in America himself.

Marilyn said: The reason we've always referred to ourselves as Americans is that our nations official name is the United States of America . We're the only country with "America" in it's name, and south America is a continent, not a country. A citizen of Canada is a Canadian. A citizen of Mexico is a Mexican. No wonder most people call us Americans.

JZ - 10-18-2020 at 01:24 PM

Just make sure you never say preference instead of orientation.

pauldavidmena - 10-18-2020 at 01:24 PM

During my first visit to Spain, my host family saw a sombrero-wearing mariachi on TV and referred to him as "Americano".

mtgoat666 - 10-18-2020 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
In today's Parade magazine in Ask Marilyn a reader posted that they had an exchange student from South America who expressed his displeasure at U.S. Citizens referring to themselves as Americans and using phrases such as made in America. He said he lived in America himself.

Marilyn said: The reason we've always referred to ourselves as Americans is that our nations official name is the United States of America . We're the only country with "America" in it's name, and south America is a continent, not a country. A citizen of Canada is a Canadian. A citizen of Mexico is a Mexican. No wonder most people call us Americans.

Parade magazine?
Ask Marilyn?
Surprised to hear such are still around.

Americans are ignorant of geography, most gringos could not tell you where South America is...

Why Ask Why ?

MrBillM - 10-18-2020 at 02:08 PM

What's the problem ?

We're the biggest on the block.

Do any of the other lesser nations on the continent want to use the name ???????

Or, just have another excuse to B-tch about us ?

BajaBlanca - 10-18-2020 at 02:54 PM

Marilyn gave a very good answer!

David K - 10-18-2020 at 03:02 PM

Because 'United Statian' sounds dumb. ;)

BornFisher - 10-18-2020 at 03:02 PM

[/rquote]

Parade magazine?
Ask Marilyn?
Surprised to hear such are still around.

Americans are ignorant of geography, most gringos could not tell you where South America is...[/rquote]

Ha!! Everyone knows Mississippi is in South America!!

Indeed!!

thebajarunner - 10-18-2020 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Marilyn gave a very good answer!

I have often heard comments for folks outside our borders that we were not the "only Americans'

Her answer made perfect sense
not like some of the ignorant responses here...
She is a very bright person, and the only reason I open Parade on Sunday morning
The rest is just arsty-fartsy stuff of no interest

BajaMama - 10-20-2020 at 10:49 AM

When I was in high school an English teacher told me we are not Americans, we are United Statesians. I have always concurred. Someone from Peru is just as American as I am. When in a foreign country and someone asks me where I am from, I answer United States, not America.

David K - 10-20-2020 at 12:01 PM

How do you feel about California or being a Californian, knowing that the peninsula of Baja California was the only California for hundreds of years? Do you change the wording to Alta California?

There is a movement in Baja California Sur to drop 'Baja' from their name. Fortunately there is so much love for the word 'Baja' and its instant location identity, it will be a tough move. Baja is not just a word for Lower or Under, but a magical location. For so many (too many?), Baja=Cabo! LOL

RocketJSquirrel - 10-20-2020 at 03:43 PM

I think you might best use the term that communicates most effectively. It's a bit like wearing a condom. It's just polite, until you establish what both of you feel comfortable with.

From my Mexican friends, I tend to use Estadounidense. No big deal. It's what they feel comfortable with.

Russ - 10-20-2020 at 03:59 PM

Norte Americano is used frequently around here but also includes Canedianos too :o

Hook - 10-20-2020 at 06:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Americans are ignorant of geography, most gringos could not tell you where South America is...

Classic uber-liberal example of bias and assumptions towards a class of people...........while pleading for all bias and prejudice to be gone from the world.

Well, pleading for it to be gone, unless it favors the uber-liberal.

No one is more hypocritical than the extreme far ends of both political parties in the US.

shari - 10-21-2020 at 11:46 AM

OMG I wish there was an applause emoji to use!
It's like a condom....it just polite..epic!
I liked her answer too and I am REALLY liking the new term...United Statesions....kinda like a Venusians. It's all alien to me...:biggrin:

pauldavidmena - 10-21-2020 at 12:22 PM

SpanishDict.com hedges its bets and translates "American" as both "americano" and "estadounidense" in Spanish. That begs the question: what do Mexicans typically call their neighbors to the North?

What THEY Say ?

MrBillM - 10-21-2020 at 12:41 PM

Depends.

Our Campo owner usually said Americano or Gringo. As did most Mexicans that I ever heard.

Unless they were speaking of a U.S. Hispanic. In which case, it was (very) often Pocho.

And, Cabron, of course.

Seriously, though, if one really cares ................ WHY ?

Skipjack Joe - 10-23-2020 at 10:32 AM

I like the familiar sound of gringo. Norte americano is just offensive to the ear.

United Statesian?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Surely you jest.

Don Pisto - 10-23-2020 at 10:48 AM

im gonna go with the Tom Petty or Guess who version:coolup:

TMW - 10-23-2020 at 11:03 AM

Whenever anyone ask me where I'm from I usually say CA, sometimes I'll say United States. If asked if I'm American I usually just say yes.

JC43 - 10-23-2020 at 08:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Because 'United Statian' sounds dumb. ;)

But it would fit !!!! Make America great again, ts, ts, ts, Trumpy is one of the dumbest. Because that includes , just as an example: Mexico. The Americas stretching from the North tip of Canada to the South of Fireland.
:lol::lol:

David K - 10-23-2020 at 09:06 PM

There seems to be confusion between Continent and Country. There is no rule that a country can't use the continent's name, is there? Australia, for example.
The USA was the first country in the Americas (1776) and the first and only country in the hemisphere to use America in its name.
I think those factors are enough to justify the use of American for people from the USA. There is no other country called America, as well.
Viva the USA!

mtgoat666 - 10-24-2020 at 06:56 AM

The USA was the first country in the Americas (1776)...

You seem to be very white-man-focused in your understanding of history, and you forget that there were countries in the Americas long before European imperialists landed in the Americas. Indigenous peoples lived in nation states that were countries in every sense of the word. Some of the bigger nation states were the Incas and Aztecs. In fact every tribal entity exterminated by European imperialists was a political state or nation state (country)

DaliDali - 10-24-2020 at 07:37 AM

Mexico didn't become a country until 1821
Peru didn't become a country until 1821
Ecuador didn't become a country until 1821

If you hate the white man so much, there is always some shoe black to cover up your heritage.
I mean pull a Northam and be done with it.
Then you too can loot flat screens with impunity.

David K - 10-24-2020 at 08:08 AM

You seem to be very white-man-focused in your understanding of history, and you forget that there were countries in the Americas long before European imperialists landed in the Americas. Indigenous peoples lived in nation states that were countries in every sense of the word. Some of the bigger nation states were the Incas and Aztecs. In fact every tribal entity exterminated by European imperialists was a political state or nation state (country)

Did any of the Indian Nations have 'America' in their names? LOL, of course not (America is an Italian word). Indigenous tribes and an established representative republic don't really fall into the same category but both exist here. The question was regarding the term 'Americans' for the citizens of the United States of America (USA).

mtgoat666 - 10-24-2020 at 08:34 PM

Indigenous tribes and an established representative republic don't really fall into the same category but both exist here

Why are the original governments of indigenous peoples not in same category? The usa goverment isnt much to hold up as special. Lots of better examples out there.

Seems to be universal world-wide agreement that last 4 years of GOP/controlled govt has been a mistake (perhaps only putin, erdogan and that weird north korean dude are fans of current usa admin, eh?

wessongroup - 10-24-2020 at 09:27 PM

"The usa goverment isnt much to hold up as special. Lots of better examples out there."

Got a list? :biggrin::biggrin:

Would be interesting to compare and contrast

surabi - 10-24-2020 at 11:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
"The usa goverment isnt much to hold up as special. Lots of better examples out there."

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/quality-of-life-r...

The US doesn't even make the top ten.

mtgoat666 - 10-25-2020 at 12:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/quality-of-life-r...

The US doesn't even make the top ten.

That’s one good way to look at it.
Another measure: incarceration rate.
And another measure: does immigration separate children from parents and put children in cages, and then never return 500+ children to parents because they lost track of the parents they deported?

wessongroup - 10-25-2020 at 12:50 AM

The subject was "Government" ... not quality of life :biggrin::biggrin:

And if quality of life is the subject which nation's Government and/or Governments to you choose as a replacement for our current system of Government that is in place, at this time ... or is it a mix and match ?

An interesting concept ... any examples ? :biggrin::biggrin:

A Rose by any other Name .........

MrBillM - 10-25-2020 at 09:15 AM

........ Or, a Turd, would smell the same.

Since nothing is going to change and the name will remain the same, those who object to the use of "America" (including the Abos) can babble on over their injustices and call themselves whatever they wish.

surabi - 10-25-2020 at 12:50 PM

The subject was "Government" ... not quality of life

And you are under the impression that the way a country's government, which administers taxes, makes laws, deals with health care, education, etc, etc., operates is irrelevant to quality of life?

surabi - 10-25-2020 at 01:00 PM

And you are under the impression that the way a country's government, which administers taxes, makes laws, deals with health care, education, etc, operates is irrelevant to quality of life?

Too bad you can't ask the 224,000 Americans who died of COVID whether their quality of life would have been better had they lived in New Zealand, whose Prime Minister had the most intelligent and responsible approach to the pandemic of any country in the world by closing its borders, instituting mandatory 14 day quarantine for any returning citizens, and mandating lockdowns and mask-wearing.

motoged - 10-25-2020 at 01:01 PM

In all my travels, I have heard a wide range of terms used to describe citizens from the USA....

Some not so flattering or jingoistic....:lol:

Tioloco - 10-25-2020 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
In all my travels, I have heard a wide range of terms used to describe citizens from the USA....

You ought to hear how Americans and Mexicans refer to the Canadians.:D

Yeah, BUT ............

MrBillM - 10-25-2020 at 01:50 PM

Canuckians deserve it.

JC43 - 10-25-2020 at 03:48 PM

To end the discussion with an offer:: Gringos! What about that?

[Edited on 10-25-2020 by JC43]

JC43 - 10-25-2020 at 03:57 PM

There seems to be confusion between Continent and Country. There is no rule that a country can't use the continent's name, is there? Australia, for example.
The USA was the first country in the Americas (1776) and the first and only country in the hemisphere to use America in its name.
I think those factors are enough to justify the use of American for people from the USA. There is no other country called America, as well.
Viva the USA!

David K: you forgot that in Australia, there are only living Australiens. In the Americas there are living Candians, Mexicans, Honduriacians(or such) Clilees (or such). Argentiniacians (or such) Columbus and his brother (or such) etc. Most of the US citizens just don`t know that there is more than the stretch from Maine to SoCa. Well, some know Baja!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

wessongroup - 10-25-2020 at 04:58 PM

And you are under the impression that the way a country's government, which administers taxes, makes laws, deals with health care, education, etc, etc., operates is irrelevant to quality of life?

And if quality of life is the subject which nation's Government and/or Governments do you choose as a replacement for our current system of Government that is in place, at this time ... or is it a mix and match ? :biggrin::biggrin:

motoged - 10-26-2020 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

To our crazy uncle.....(no, not the one in the WH):

I have heard from Mexicans throughout the Mexican mainland as well as Baja, that they often make a distinction between Canadians and USA citizens....and they much prefer the civility and general demeanour of Canadians. They often do not consider Canadians "gringos", but sometimes lump us together.

Even some Nomads have stated that they will describe themselves as Canadians rather than "Americans" when travelling abroad so as to try to dodge the "ugly american" brand.

As Mr. Bill pointed out....we Canadians have earned and deserve such acceptance.....

And he is never wrong.....just ask him :biggrin:

David K - 10-26-2020 at 10:52 AM

The term 'muy codo' is one I hear applied to our brothers from the Great White North... ???

motoged - 10-26-2020 at 10:58 AM

The term 'muy codo' is one I hear applied to our brothers from the Great White North... ???

True....but still better than "gran culo" :biggrin:

[Edited on 10-26-2020 by motoged]

Tioloco - 10-26-2020 at 11:22 AM

True....but still better than "gran culo" :biggrin:

[Edited on 10-26-2020 by motoged]

Rude and Cheap... Both attributed to Canadians by Mexicans and Americans.
Certainly there are exceptions to this. Apparently those exceptions dont travel much. :light:

David K - 10-26-2020 at 11:26 AM

I have never met a rude Canadian (well until Baja Nomad, anyway)! They are considered as some of the most courteous people, typically... and if you don't agree then you are a HOSER... TAKE OFF!

Tioloco - 10-26-2020 at 11:29 AM

To our crazy uncle.....(no, not the one in the WH):

I have heard from Mexicans throughout the Mexican mainland as well as Baja, that they often make a distinction between Canadians and USA citizens....and they much prefer the civility and general demeanour of Canadians. They often do not consider Canadians "gringos", but sometimes lump us together.

Even some Nomads have stated that they will describe themselves as Canadians rather than "Americans" when travelling abroad so as to try to dodge the "ugly american" brand.

As Mr. Bill pointed out....we Canadians have earned and deserve such acceptance.....

And he is never wrong.....just ask him :biggrin:

Ged- Classic case of AES (American Envy Syndrome) Dont worry Ged, you can still become an American if you get in line and go through the appropriate process. We would welcome you with open arms. You may even smile more as a result. That's a win for us all!

motoged - 10-26-2020 at 11:56 AM

arms. You may even smile more as a result. That's a win for us all!

I like parts of the USA for the geography...and have several good friends in the USA....but sure wouldn't stand in line to be a citizen.

Why would you think I am envious of your country? That is simply delusional.

TMW - 10-26-2020 at 12:14 PM

In all the places I've been to in the world I've never hidden the fact I'm an American. Why would I? If you're friendly toward people and don't make an a$$ of yourself there is no need to. In the Philippines I did tell a rude Filipino his daddy was probably a Jap, boy did he get mad.

Tioloco - 10-26-2020 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Classic case of AES (American Envy Syndrome)

From a Canadian? You must hang out with a different crowd from the ones I know.

Yeah, the world over can name lots of things Canadians have to be proud of. Hahahaha!

motoged - 10-26-2020 at 05:14 PM

Yeah, the world over can name lots of things Canadians have to be proud of. Hahahaha!

Do you enjoy watching basketball? Or had you ever enjoyed playing it?

A few other things you probably didn't know:

https://greatcanadiantravel.com/2017/06/30/50-great-things-canada-contributed-to-the-world/

[Edited on 10-27-2020 by motoged]

JZ - 10-26-2020 at 06:04 PM

In all the places I've been to in the world I've never hidden the fact I'm an American. Why would I? If you're friendly toward people and don't make an a$$ of yourself there is no need to. In the Philippines I did tell a rude Filipino his daddy was probably a Jap, boy did he get mad.

Being an American will get you laid anywhere in the world, always has and always will. When I first started traveling internationally at around 22-23 that was my go to move in Europe.

Many Canadian girls over the years. Probably some Motoged knew in BC, especially around Kelowna. Sorry Motoged, hope they weren't directly related.

[Edited on 10-27-2020 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 10-26-2020 at 06:07 PM

Great hoser inventions and foods:
Coffee Crisp candy bar
Tim Hortons
Caesar c-cktail
Brunton compass
Snowmobile
Sausage rolls
Beaver tails
Poutine

Artists:
Neil young
BTO
Rush
(Not nickelback!)

Actors:
William shatner
Keanu reeves
Mike Myers
Seth rogen
Dan akroyd
Martin short

Tv shows:
Sorry, none make a ‘greatest” list

CBC deserves special mention, it was amusing Radio news/Entertainment when Working in the boonies of Canada prior to the internet...

[Edited on 10-27-2020 by mtgoat666]

mtgoat666 - 10-26-2020 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Being an American will get you laid anywhere in the world, always has and always will. When I first started traveling internationally at around 22-23 that was my go to move in Europe.

I guess when you are only 5’1” you got to rely on your pathetic best to get laid

LancairDriver - 10-26-2020 at 06:51 PM

Many Mexicans have told me they think Canadians are “cheap baas&#@“
When all the Hong Kong billionaires moved to Vancouver, BC after the Chinese takeover, I thought they were crazy until I found out Canadians are only taxed on money they make in Canada. The US and many other country’s tax all your money regardless of where you make it. Is this Canadian policy still the case?

surabi - 10-26-2020 at 06:59 PM

Never met a fellow Canadian in my life who wished they were American. Met plenty of Americans who wished they were Canadian, though.
It's hilarious how so many Americans are under the delusion that everyone would move to the US if they could. They have zero idea of how the rest of the world views the US. It definitely isn't with envy. Presently it's generally with pity.

And that "muy codo?" What Americans and Mexicans who say that don't understand is that many Canadians, used to living in a country which actually has reasonable minimum wages, accessible health care and social benefits for all, aren't accustomed to being expected to basically pay the wages of other people's employees by tipping super generously.

Canadian employees of restaurants, etc. certainly appreciate tips, but they aren't going to starve to death or not be able to get needed medical care because someone "only" left a 10% tip.

Tips are supposed to be a reward for good service, not something required because the employer is too cheap to pay their staff a living wage.

[Edited on 10-27-2020 by surabi]

JZ - 10-26-2020 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Many Mexicans have told me they think Canadians are “cheap baas&#@“

Hung out in San Carlos Sonora for about 10 years. In the winter months the place swells by 1/3rd with Canadians. Hook knows the town well.

Have many, many close MX friends. They are polite to the Canucks. But they definitely think they are cheap and boring.

[Edited on 10-27-2020 by JZ]

surabi - 10-26-2020 at 09:56 PM

Wanna know who's cheap? Well-off Mexicans. They tip poorly and treat their staff like second class citizens. You'd never catch them sitting around drinking beers with the guys who are mixing cement to build their house.

Ask a Mexican worker who's had both experiences if he'd rather work for a Canadian or a wealthy Mexican. The Canadian will win hands down.

motoged - 10-26-2020 at 10:43 PM

Looking forward to the new Borat movie....

Are folks from Khazikstan better tippers than Lithuanians?

Skipjack Joe - 10-27-2020 at 07:31 PM

It's hilarious how so many Americans are under the delusion that everyone would move to the US if they could. They have zero idea of how the rest of the world views the US. It definitely isn't with envy. Presently it's generally with pity.

Pity, yes. But even more - fear.

motoged - 10-28-2020 at 10:09 AM

Tv shows:

Schitt's Creek......award winning tv series.....:light:

AKgringo - 10-28-2020 at 03:18 PM

Tv shows:

Schitt's Creek......award winning tv series.....:light:

For drama, I always enjoyed "DaVinci's inquest"(sp?) and for comedy, how about "Red Green"? :lol:

David K - 10-28-2020 at 04:01 PM

What about the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show? :lol:
Seriously, we like Murdoch Mysteries.

TMW - 10-28-2020 at 04:12 PM

Actors:
William shatner
Tv shows:
CBC deserves special mention, it was amusing Radio news/Entertainment when Working in the boonies of Canada prior to the internet...

I like William Shatner.
As to TV shows I like "Murdoch Mysteries". I have the first 11 seasons on DVD. Great Mystery show with many funny moments.