BajaNomad

Where is this place?

josiahq - 11-28-2020 at 11:33 AM

Snapped this screenshot of a video promoting the Baja XL, and does anyone know where this is?

Don Pisto - 11-28-2020 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by josiahq  
Snapped this screenshot of a video promoting the Baja XL, and does anyone know where this is?

did you leave the picture out?

motoged - 11-28-2020 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by josiahq  

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You had me with Baja XL.....

josiahq - 11-28-2020 at 12:44 PM

Dammit, for some reason I can't get the site to accept my upload.

Screenshot from Baja XL

Hopefully that link works.

https://imgur.com/nJUW3Ne

geoffff - 11-28-2020 at 01:04 PM

David K - 11-28-2020 at 01:38 PM

Look like the road west of San Evaristo and La Soledad, but that's just a guess.

2018-28.jpg - 96kB

[Edited on 11-28-2020 by David K]

defrag4 - 12-19-2020 at 08:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Look like the road west of San Evaristo and La Soledad, but that's just a guess.

[Edited on 11-28-2020 by David K]

agreed, definetly looks like the road to san evaristo

BajaBlanca - 12-19-2020 at 09:28 PM

Beautiful, wherever it is.

geoffff - 12-19-2020 at 11:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

With that hint, I think I tracked it down! I thought it was a drone shot, but it actually appears to be a view from the road: at (24.8357, -110.9001), looking southeast down from Mesa Las Ánimas. Here is the best view I could replicate on Google Earth: where-is-this-place.kmz On the right is Cañada los Palos, and on the left is Arroyo la Soledad.

-- Geoff

BajaBlanca - 12-20-2020 at 01:31 AM

Geoffff What a great view!

geoffff.....I think you found it!

AKgringo - 12-20-2020 at 09:13 AM

I have driven that road before, but did not recognize that spot. I found the Baja XL clip the screenshot came from, and I am sure it is a drone shot, they use a lot of them.

Now to see if I can link the clip; https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Baja+XL&&view=d...

Mulege Canuck - 12-20-2020 at 09:32 AM

Geoffff

Planning on driving that road with my truck camper. Is here lots of brush along the road ? It is a lot of work cutting out roads so I can get through.

Thanks

David K - 12-20-2020 at 10:28 AM

It is a graded road, and even a concrete surface on one grade. However the section from La Soledad down to the coast road is rougher, less maintained when I drove it in August 2017.

Some of my photos on that road:

[Edited on 12-20-2020 by David K]

Mulege Canuck - 12-20-2020 at 11:10 AM

Thanks David

AKgringo - 12-20-2020 at 11:49 AM

I drove much of that road in late January of this year, except I headed east from Las Pocitas, the southern route shown on David's map.

I encountered no brush in need of whacking, and from a trip a couple of years ago, I doubt that the northern road would need a trim either!

The steeper portions of the road (on the east slope) were slow going, but doable even in a 2wd with good clearance. Some parts were slow enough that I let my dog out to run ahead of the Trooper

You may have some confusion getting through La Soledad. The old road on the north side of the drainage was closed off, and a new route on the south side was cut into the hillside. It was not done very well!

I passed a large front loader that had slipped off a very steep side slope on the new road, and it is very likely still there!

I am hoping that the detour was done illegally by the ranch owner that the old road passed through and has been re-opened. Maybe someone else can give us an update?

Mulege Canuck - 12-20-2020 at 03:53 PM

Thanks AK.

Baja will be twice as good next year.

geoffff - 12-20-2020 at 06:37 PM

Sure enough! But the spot I ended up finding in Google Earth turned out to be a hill top from which you could get a very similar single frame photo without being in the air.

-- Geoff

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have driven that road before, but did not recognize that spot. I found the Baja XL clip the screenshot came from, and I am sure it is a drone shot, they use a lot of them.

Now to see if I can link the clip; https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Baja+XL&&view=d...

geoffff - 12-20-2020 at 06:40 PM

Here are the two images next to each other for easy comparison. Google Earth doesn't have the elevation precision to really show the cliffs on either side of the road, but the switchbacks are all there, and the various hills in the distance all look correct.

defrag4 - 12-20-2020 at 07:10 PM

I drove much of that road in late January of this year, except I headed east from Las Pocitas, the southern route shown on David's map.

I encountered no brush in need of whacking, and from a trip a couple of years ago, I doubt that the northern road would need a trim either!

The steeper portions of the road (on the east slope) were slow going, but doable even in a 2wd with good clearance. Some parts were slow enough that I let my dog out to run ahead of the Trooper

You may have some confusion getting through La Soledad. The old road on the north side of the drainage was closed off, and a new route on the south side was cut into the hillside. It was not done very well!

I passed a large front loader that had slipped off a very steep side slope on the new road, and it is very likely still there!

I am hoping that the detour was done illegally by the ranch owner that the old road passed through and has been re-opened. Maybe someone else can give us an update?

i took the hillside route and it was the only real sketchy part of the road, steep off-camber skree! My buddy in a top-heavy ram with slide-in camper was even more concerned

I did eyeball the ranch route and thought to myself I should check that way out next time...

AKgringo - 12-20-2020 at 07:39 PM

When I finally connected with what was obviously the old route, I doubled back to see what turn I missed to wind up on the new route. I came to a fence with no obvious way to continue on the road that I had used in the past.

This was almost a year ago, I hope the original right of passage is not gone forever! By the way, did you notice if the loader was still over the side?

defrag4 - 12-20-2020 at 08:37 PM

When I finally connected with what was obviously the old route, I doubled back to see what turn I missed to wind up on the new route. I came to a fence with no obvious way to continue on the road that I had used in the past.

This was almost a year ago, I hope the original right of passage is not gone forever! By the way, did you notice if the loader was still over the side?

I ran it in Nov of last year or so, did not see a loader then, so must have been fairly fresh when you saw it!