BajaNomad

Influencer Andrew Muse sucker-punched at secret Baja surf spot

mtgoat666 - 12-4-2020 at 07:28 AM

Following is a trip report ‘ news article about an “influencer” surfing in baja...

Following is text, but you should check out the online version to be fully influenced https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2020/nov/24/stringers-in...

Report back here if you get influenced, or become influential...

———-

On November 5, Andrew Muse said he was just sucker-punched in the chin by a fellow American in Baja, California. “At that point, [my cameraman] Liam and I brought him to the ground where not a single kick, punch, or otherwise physical harmful action was taken towards him,” Muse posted on Instagram. “Although I wanted to retaliate, I pulled myself away and instead picked up his bike and threw it towards the water.”

Muse is an athlete and adventure filmmaker whose converted and lifted Ford F550 truck was spotted at Dog Beach by OB locals earlier this month. Muse, his girlfriend Ashley, and their doggie-Kicker traveled in from Massachusetts and met with Liam, a cameraman, before crossing into Baja. They’re currently documenting their trip and posting videos on their Tiny Home Adventure YouTube channel, which has about 26,900 subscribers, and uploading photos onto Muse’s Instagram account with about 108,000 followers.

“I don’t feel comfortable sharing all these details of our trip for the article,” Muse told the Reader via email.

Josiah Roe, a fellow-filmmaker from San Francisco, knows both Muse and the alleged sucker puncher from “New Jersey.”

“I totally believe Andrew; Andrew isn’t a bullchitter like that,” Roe told the Reader on November 23. “And I can see that [sucker puncher] dude being a dick like that. I never had any issues with him, but he also fits that burnout old school surfer vibe.”

Roe sent videos of his Granite and Light production company. One was of him and his friends van living and caravanning down the Baja peninsula in four vans before Christmas last year. He re-shared Muse’s original post onto Facebook, with a photo of Muse and Ashley captioned: “Dude living near Alejandro’s attacked a couple of kids surfing.”

[Alejandro’s is in the] Seven Sisters area, by The Wall,” Roe said to me.

Alejandro’s is a surf spot about 400 miles south of the Tijuana and San Diego border. According to surf websites,, the right point break surfer and kiteboarder destination, a few miles north of Santa Rosalillita, has 5-7 foot waves on its better days.

“[But] there were no waves …. the wind was blowing hard,” Muse recounted on his IG before explaining the sequences leading into the altercation.

“I saw [the] man barreling down on his bike towards me yelling, 'you can’t do that here …. Get the F outta here.' Apparently, we were not allowed to be filming, according to him.”

“[Jersey dude is] just an ex-pat who had some relationship with the landowner and got to post up there,” Roe continued.

“So is it like a locals-only vibe?” I asked Roe.

“Yeah, except he’s not a local, really.”

Muse continued: “[Then] Liam ran over and told me he just ran over his brand new camera. I sprinted toward the man as fast as I could. Eventually, I got my hands on him and threw him to the ground hard.”

Shortly after, the Jersey man allegedly sucker-punched Muse, picked up his bike, and took off.

“The tensions are higher than the surf these days,” commented John, an American living in Tijuana. “[Muse] should never have brought out a cam[era]. The fact we all know their vehicles, too, is asking for it. Respect secret spots …. [and] enjoy the surf with no recording. Our minds are adequate to hold the memories.”

Roe disagrees; by happenstance, before we communicated, he uploaded a YouTube video that he directed and produced, titled “Baja Like Nowhere Else,” which is the cinematography and drone footage of his 1200 mile trek from Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas recently.

“[Muse] is not an influencer in that cheesedick way. He has a super kind heart, and it made me angry that dude attacked him.”

AKgringo - 12-4-2020 at 08:01 AM

Attacking an influencer?....I don't even know what emoji to use for that! :o:mad::lol:

I hear that influencers are in line to get the covid19 vaccine, right after medical first responders are taken care of. I mean, who wants to see them posting selfies from the I.C.U. unit?

It would take a lot of cat videos to get over that!

pappy - 12-4-2020 at 08:14 AM

Not a secret spot, and for sure not now..

pappy - 12-4-2020 at 08:22 AM

Just checked this muse rig out. Certainly screams “ look at me” with the colors and graphics..

pacificobob - 12-4-2020 at 08:48 AM

my understanding of just what influencers are is a bit vague....but it appears that their just not getting the respect they deserve? darnit

bkbend - 12-4-2020 at 09:02 AM

Clickbait -- I wanted to see pictures of the secret spot, or the lifted F550, or videos of the rumble. Nothing but artsy photos of VWs in other secret spots.

thebajarunner - 12-4-2020 at 09:11 AM

Sounds like a New Jersey deal to me.
Why waste time on a Baja site to grind on East Coast ruffians.

brewer - 12-4-2020 at 09:12 AM

George is getting fed up.....

caj13 - 12-4-2020 at 09:25 AM

The fact that Goat apparently follows some social "influencer" is hilarious as far as I'm concerned!

I find that whole concept of a social influencer Bizzare. "everybody look at me , I'm smarter and prettier than you, so you need to be checking in on me several times a day so you can be cool like Me!"

and those followers - "I don't know whats cool or not, please tell me what clothes to wear, food to eat etc, so I can be cool like you"

I guess I'm just not near cool enough to understand what I really hve to do to be cool!

mtgoat666 - 12-4-2020 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

...and those followers - "I don't know whats cool or not, please tell me what clothes to wear, food to eat etc, so I can be cool like you"

I guess I'm just not near cool enough to understand what I really hve to do to be cool!

the coolest way to be cool is to ignore all pop culture and march to your own drummer, and be so cool that you become one of the uber cool influencers of the cool :lol::lol::lol:

pacificobob - 12-4-2020 at 10:18 AM

i regard squabbles among surfers in a similar way as i do hip hop gangster feuds. somewhat amusing.... yet at the same time remarkably dull.

del mar - 12-4-2020 at 11:33 AM

so thats where Woody landed!:lol:

Jersy dude?

Don Jorge - 12-4-2020 at 01:54 PM

Hmmm. Don't know for certain who "Jersey dude" is but we were camped there for an overnight visit with friends a few years back.

While enjoying after supper views, chatter and libations some folks pulled up late and off loaded their bikes and dune buggy. They proceeded to race around after dark creating quite the ruckus which peeed off "not a local" living in a house with nice tile work, hint hint. This happened a few days after the tow in dudes had invaded the place and tempers were perhaps shortened by that visit too.

Next morning friend got up at dawn and drove down to campground and did doughnuts for a awhile aroung the tents till the campers came out and a discussion developed.

Quite entertaining actually and they apologized for the previous night escapades and it all went well that day after the roosters were done strutting.

Jersey dude? :bounce:

BornFisher - 12-4-2020 at 02:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
so thats where Woody landed!:lol:

Nah----- it`s Corky Carroll! :cool:

BajaTed - 12-4-2020 at 02:45 PM

Influencers provide metadata on all the clickers to other 3rd parties and get paid for it.
The clickers create an income stream from the routing of their queries and a % goes to influencer from 3rd party.

Chup - 12-4-2020 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Influencers provide metadata on all the clickers to other 3rd parties and get paid for it.
The clickers create an income stream from the routing of their queries and a % goes to influencer from 3rd party.

Kinda like this site?....

apple - 12-4-2020 at 05:02 PM

What a dork.

DawnPatrol - 12-4-2020 at 05:32 PM

I've camped at Alejandro's 5 or 6 times
There's an ex-pat who lives with his wife who is Danish or Swedish (?), and they are supposed "caretakers"
They live in the house behind the camp on the North side right above the road coming in.
Is that the guy that went off?
Haven't been there for two years and that guy was decent to us when we were there. But we were not filming, though I find that excuse ludicrous

surabi - 12-4-2020 at 06:38 PM

Being a "influencer" is what young folks who don't want to actually work for a living do now. And they really think they're hot chit.

They also try to get free stays at hotels and Airbnbs, and free everything in exchange for their "influencing". They're shameless and insufferable.

Just the term itself makes me want to vomit.

[Edited on 12-5-2020 by surabi]

Bajazly - 12-4-2020 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Influencer Andrew Muse sucker-punched at secret Baja surf spot

Good!

AKgringo - 12-4-2020 at 07:41 PM

Good?.....I doubt that the guy that got sucker punched calls himself an "influencer"! He and the camera man are the ones that produced the short film posted here recently; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=95397

It was a few people enjoying Baja, and they did a great job sharing it with us. I hope to see more from them!

My original snarky post on this thread was aimed at the reporter calling him an influencer, and the whole concept of a culture of selfie posting, social media narcissists !

TMW - 12-4-2020 at 07:52 PM

Alejandro’s is a surf spot about 400 miles south of the Tijuana and San Diego border. According to surf websites,, the right point break surfer and kiteboarder destination, a few miles north of Santa Rosalillita, has 5-7 foot waves on its better days.

The wall is south of Santa Rosalillita not north.

mtgoat666 - 12-4-2020 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

The wall is south of Santa Rosalillita not north.

I think the reporter did a good job at portraying an influencer, and in doing so illustrated how the influencer over-dramatized a brief and minor encounter on the beach.

It is amusing that advertisers find mindless videos of young people car-camping sells trinkets...

I am also amused at seeing young people in expensive RVs. When I was young we traveled cross-country and abroad in a VW bus or Dodge Dart or old travel-all, or small Datsun pickup. Now, kids won’t leave home w/o a $100,000 Rv. Kids these days are spoiled, and wimps. Daddies buy them expensive vehicles, and they never learn the value of fending on their own on the road...

[Edited on 12-5-2020 by mtgoat666]

surabi - 12-4-2020 at 10:16 PM

That's what all these influencers do- they over-dramatize things that happen to them, as if they are so so special. Things that other people just take as a matter of course, chit happens.

When one of the huge hurricanes happened in the past year or two, can't remember if it was in Puerto Rico, or where, but I was looking at Youtube videos of it, and unfortunately clicked on one that turned out to be by these types. Not only did they have a really nice boat at the age of 30-something, it appeared that they just sailed around, never working, making money off their blog and videos. They made a huge drama over how scared they were, holed up in the bathroom of their nice hotel. Then, after the danger had passed, they went around filming the blown-out doors in their hotel and such.

It never seemed to occur to them that were people out there, injured, or without food or shelter, who needed help.

FelizCanadian - 12-5-2020 at 07:10 AM

We saw this clown in Scorpion Bay. Pulled up in his billboard giant $150k truck and we commented how long it took us to read all the social media ads in it. Then he had his crew following. Sure he’s a nice guy or whatever, but take that chit to Malibu or Trestles. Don’t be the dildo that exploits. Even though Baja is definitely not the secret it was 20’years ago, please respect the adventure of it. And if you duck is so small that you have to post ever thing you do then may I suggest you look into penis exstension surgery in Beverly Hills.

mtgoat666 - 12-5-2020 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by FelizCanadian  
We saw this clown in Scorpion Bay. Pulled up in his billboard giant $150k truck and we commented how long it took us to read all the social media ads in it. Then he had his crew following. Sure he’s a nice guy or whatever, but take that chit to Malibu or Trestles. Don’t be the dildo that exploits. Even though Baja is definitely not the secret it was 20’years ago, please respect the adventure of it. And if you duck is so small that you have to post ever thing you do then may I suggest you look into penis exstension surgery in Beverly Hills.

An a$$hat RV-traveling influencer with hired cameraman for vacation snapshots differs little from the the off-roading tours and racers that many nomads seem to be Gaga over.

They all like to hire cameramen, put advertiser stickers on their cars, pretend to be off-the-grid in the wilderness, and have common narcissistic trait of posting their vacation videos on the net in a needy, vain quest for likes.

JZ - 12-5-2020 at 08:03 AM

Clever marketing ploy to claim you were attacked. I'm sure he got a few more clicks.

bajatrailrider - 12-5-2020 at 08:21 AM

Himmm and the whole point of this post? There is none stable genius now that is funny sick one.

C205Driver - 12-5-2020 at 11:10 AM

CAJ13....Can we include the “important “ actors in with the “influencers “ and ship them to another world?

caj13 - 12-5-2020 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by C205Driver  
CAJ13....Can we include the “important “ actors in with the “influencers “ and ship them to another world?

absolutely, but only if i get a ride in the right seat of that 205.

chippy - 12-5-2020 at 01:40 PM

Who cares enough to be a puncher or punchee at that overated, long board, 40 years too late spot:light:?

Influencers are gay! (not that there´s anything wrong with that):biggrin:

[Edited on 12-5-2020 by chippy]

Don Pisto - 12-5-2020 at 01:54 PM

im embarrassed to say before this thread i've never heard the term "influencer".....I gotta get out more!:D

LancairDriver - 12-5-2020 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by FelizCanadian  

Highly recommended? Is that where you had yours done?

surabi - 12-5-2020 at 09:40 PM

A brutal take-down of one of these idjit "influencers" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlmarLZpsyQ&ab_channel=G...

bajarich - 12-6-2020 at 12:00 AM

Too bad this whole thread can't be eliminated. Why give them free publlicity.

bajaric - 12-6-2020 at 10:33 AM

Maybe the New Jersey guy is tired of seen a bunch of entitled jerks parking their expensive machines on the beach, squashing all the clams, and then making videos to show how cool they are.

Bajazly - 12-6-2020 at 03:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

shari - 12-7-2020 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That was hilarious!!! It's a new world out there folks....us oldies just dont get the whole social media influencer gig and its "value"

I get more and more of these emails and requests for free stays in exchange for getting a write up on their social media pages....ummmm no thanks snowflakes!

as for the sucker punch...hot heads be hot heads and one can only stand so much till ya want to punch someone in the face! New Jersey may have been having a bad day....no surf!

[Edited on 12-7-2020 by shari]

nbentley1 - 12-7-2020 at 10:25 AM

Camped at Alejandro’s a few years back, pretty sure the guy how live in the house with his Scandinavian wife was from SoCal. I think a tiler by trade, saved his pennies and made the move to live on his favorite wave. With us he dropped in now and again but kept a respectful distance. He was very happy at the end to collect food items we could not take back when we left.

RocketJSquirrel - 12-7-2020 at 11:17 AM

Loved the video. Each minute of it gets better.

[Edited for clarity]

[Edited on 12-7-2020 by RocketJSquirrel]