BajaNomad

Goodbye to a dear friend

Ken Cooke - 12-17-2020 at 10:47 PM

I met my friend Mike back in 2001 after a failed transmission due to a shift tower leak left myself and my ex-wife stranded in Parque Nacional Sierra San Pedro Martir. We hitched down to the Shipwrecks development where my friend Ray and his family had been surfing and we luckily caught them on their last day before packing up for their ride back to the US. There was just enough room to fit inside their SuperDuty and make it back home to Riverside where I set up a recovery effort of my truck and trailer.

Mike and his family were nice people who I became friends with over the years and eventually he began traveling on some of the Baja trail runs that I set up as well as other runs in the deserts of Southern California.

The last two times I saw Mike, I brought him a 3 pack of birthday/Father's Day shirts that helped him look forward to life besides his daily dialysis treatments and numerous eye surgeries and he was able to reflect on his life one last time with me in late September. Without warning he was gone just one day after Thanksgiving (due to Covid) and no I'm without one of my best friends. Here's to a true Baja fan and Jeep hoarder. Trips to the desert won't be the same. Rest in Peace my friend.

Mike at the Off Road Expo

Mike getting an extra hand along the Pole Line Road back in 2004 from John M.

Mike crawling on the trail in Riverside during a Memorial run I set up for a friend of my wife's.

Mike, John M., Neal Johns, Brock, Marian Johns - (and even my ex-wife) gathered around the campfire in Cohabuzo Junction right before a pair of travelers in a 4WD Ford Aerostar minivan with a blown tire limped into camp that night.

On my annual Berdoo Canyon Run in Joshua Tree Natl. Park

Rest easy, Mike.

David K - 12-18-2020 at 07:39 AM

Yes, a very nice tribute to your amigo! Vaya con Dios, Miguel!

pacificobob - 12-18-2020 at 09:43 AM

if we live long enough, we have to witnesses some of pals check out.

David K - 12-18-2020 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
if we live long enough, we have to witnesses some of pals check out.

I think that is the worse part of getting old... losing friends and people you know or know of.
I know death is part of life but that doesn't make it easy.

mtgoat666 - 12-18-2020 at 01:15 PM

Ken,
Sorry for your loss.
I know it is infuriating to lose people to covid, knowing that many such deaths could have been prevented if only people had not mocked, dismissed or ignored the public health recommendations, or even outright denied the disease as being political fakery.

Lee - 12-18-2020 at 01:35 PM

Leave it to the resident troll to turn a heartfelt eulogy into a political rant. Lowest of the low.

Sorry to hear the news

John M - 12-18-2020 at 02:14 PM

Ken, each of us bring something special to these outings - bonds formed over such a brief time together are nonetheless meaningful and it's difficult to accept the finality of lives lost. Thankfully, memories of friendships endure.

John M

defrag4 - 12-18-2020 at 04:16 PM

Sorry for your loss brother, Im sure he is sticking her in 4Lo with all the rest of the legends of Baja past, following that long offroad trail in the sky

BajaBlanca - 12-18-2020 at 04:54 PM

So sorry for your loss. My grandfather's biggest complaint was that ALL his friends died before he did. I think it is important to have friends of all ages. Keeps you young at heart.

What would Gibbs do is great!

May He rest in peace, Ken.

Ken Cooke - 12-18-2020 at 05:39 PM

Thanks everyone. I am glad that Mike was able to enjoy the trails and good times that Baja had to offer.

Calamajue

La Turquesa

Catavina/Mission Santa Maria leg of Baja Grande 2008

[Edited on 12-19-2020 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 12-18-2020 at 06:02 PM

Thanks for the photos... It gives us a look into the life of a friend of yours.

TMW - 12-18-2020 at 07:32 PM

So sorry for your loss Ken. Condolences to his family.

advrider - 12-19-2020 at 11:04 AM

The good ones always go to soon and leave such an empty spot in our souls... Very nice tribute Ken.

Ken Cooke - 12-20-2020 at 02:23 PM

Thanks ADV and TW. One day at a time..