BajaNomad

ALERT! Mary Ann Humfreville is MISSING (L.A. Bay area)

Pages:  1  2  

BajaTed - 1-10-2021 at 07:51 PM

The community needs to approach the military to to do some drive throughs of ALL the neighborhoods. This approach is a neutral act that doesn't target specific homes, but acts as a general deterrence and lets the bad guys know everybody is peeed.
We had a suspected Cartel kidnap house in our Mision back in 2008 and someone with connections got the military to cruise through Bajamar on weekends for a month.
50 calibers on six Humvee's pointed @ everybody houses as they slowly drove by. I was impressed by the approach and rumor mill said it worked.

bajarich - 1-11-2021 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Has anyone considered the idea that she may not want to be found?
Just asking, not trying to provoke a battle here.

Most pet owners I know would not leave their pets like that without at least a note as to their care.

This is all very sad.

Paulina - 1-11-2021 at 05:11 PM

Just a thought..... I never met her, but always enjoyed Mike's writing and figure one day in my annual trek to LABay our paths might cross.

I can tell you for a fact, as Mary Ann's friend for almost 30 years, there is absolutely no way that Mary Ann would drive off into the sunset. She was taken against her will, at some point during the night, as Larry C posted. She left behind her shoes, glasses, purse containing her ID, cards and American dollars, her dog and cat. She was not the sad widow that threw back her bedcovers and walked out the door and drove off into the night.

She was taken.

P>*)))>{

Desertbull - 1-12-2021 at 08:38 AM

Gracias P!

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  
Just a thought..... I never met her, but always enjoyed Mike's writing and figure one day in my annual trek to LABay our paths might cross.

I can tell you for a fact, as Mary Ann's friend for almost 30 years, there is absolutely no way that Mary Ann would drive off into the sunset. She was taken against her will, at some point during the night, as Larry C posted. She left behind her shoes, glasses, purse containing her ID, cards and American dollars, her dog and cat. She was not the sad widow that threw back her bedcovers and walked out the door and drove off into the night.

She was taken.

P>*)))>{

JZ - 1-12-2021 at 11:54 AM

She was taken.

P>*)))>{

It is just crazy to think that something like this happened.

Lee - 1-12-2021 at 12:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I interpret the above to mean, being taken is remote, not possible, improbable, not reality, never going to happen.

In my world, this is possible and probable. Not crazy. Life is cheap in many parts of the world. MX is most definitely one of them.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

mtgoat666 - 1-12-2021 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

I interpret the above to mean, being taken is remote, not possible, improbable, not reality, never going to happen.

In my world, this is possible and probable. Not crazy. Life is cheap in many parts of the world. MX is most definitely one of them.

This is the 3rd violent crime against gringos in past few years. There was a couple ( butler, ball) killed a few years ago. Then a man (crabtree) killed shortly after the couple.

motoged - 1-13-2021 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

This is the 3rd violent crime against gringos in past few years. There was a couple ( butler, ball) killed a few years ago. Then a man (crabtree) killed shortly after the couple.

Some folks live in a different kind of bubble.

Sad and worrisome incident. Unlikely to be the last in Baja.

Enrique2012 - 1-13-2021 at 03:09 PM

I find it interesting that Maryann's place was "ransacked" and that -

"She left behind her shoes, glasses, purse containing her ID, cards and American dollars,"

They took the time to ransack her place but didn't take her cash?

Mother of Dragons - 1-14-2021 at 07:12 AM

I too am wondering where the ‘ransacked’ information came from as I have not seen that anywhere else.

I was thinking this was another robbery outside that she interrupted gone horrifically bad but if they went into the home then why physically remove her? If you are going to kill someone why bother taking the body with you?

I hope she is found...she clearly was very loved by all that knew her❤️

Skipjack Joe - 1-14-2021 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mother of Dragons  

If you are going to kill someone why bother taking the body with you?

Could there be ransom money involved? I kind of doubt it though. That requires the sort of sophistication that is lacking in this part of the world.

Mother of Dragons - 1-14-2021 at 07:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Could there be ransom money involved? I kind of doubt it though. That requires the sort of sophistication that is lacking in this part of the world.

I think we would’ve heard of a ransom demand by now...they stole the truck and Mary Ann then I’m assuming they had to immediately hide or do away with both so I don’t think this was well thought out.

So heartbreaking.

pacificobob - 1-14-2021 at 08:12 AM

grand pregunta....what the was the motive of this crime? was her truck some sort of late model, desirable to those who steal cars?

David K - 1-14-2021 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
grand pregunta....what the was the motive of this crime? was her truck some sort of late model, desirable to those who steal cars?

From the opening post of this thread:
1998 Red Ford F-150 Calif. 7A92402

BajaTed - 1-14-2021 at 09:55 AM

Chaos rules:
Bad stuff happens after midnight.
Become a liability instead of an asset at all costs or means necessary.
Never let yourself be taken from the place your at.

Lee - 1-14-2021 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

From the opening post of this thread:
1998 Red Ford F-150 Calif. 7A92402

Answers in plain sight.

To someone without a vehicle, this is a pot of gold. Keep or sell for bucks. Just thinking outside the box.

Motive? Don't need no stinking motive.

David K - 1-14-2021 at 12:17 PM

Mary Ann's home is 3-4 road miles south from town... only a few other homes near hers, mostly Americans who are not all full-timers. Camp Gecko is about a mile south. Nomads are on both directions from her home. A home invasion in the middle of the night had to have an accomplice, driving a vehicle to get there and leave, wouldn't he?

bajaric - 1-14-2021 at 12:54 PM

A truck like that would be easy to fence for a few hundred bucks cash, or trade for some drugs. They could have walked there, or just been in the area.

The typical scenario is some low lifes in the area get to know the habits of the people that live nearby and plan a burglary. An isolated house with no security guard / gate is an easy target. Then, the burgers are surprised in the act and get in a confrontation with the homeowner. This was the scenario with at least 5 similar incidents involving ex pats.

This is all speculation, and I hope that it is not the case. One thing to consider is that if they left without the purse and the money, they would not have money for gas. How far could they get? I would look around the nearby areas for the truck; the junkyard, road to San Francisquito, dirt roads in surrounding areas.

Find that truck and you will find the culprits.

BajaBlanca - 1-14-2021 at 07:16 PM

Very disturbing that we have not found out what happened yet. She is actively in my prayers daily.

Skipjack Joe - 1-14-2021 at 08:17 PM

Hook - 1-14-2021 at 08:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Chaos rules:
Bad stuff happens after midnight.
Become a liability instead of an asset at all costs or means necessary.
Never let yourself be taken from the place your at.

Easier said than done, in a country when gun ownership by a foreigner might be a bigger liability than an asset.

And I have no interest living in a compound with pit bulls running about. Yet another liability.

These types of thugs are probably well aware that gringos cant match their weapons. And they are probably GENERALLY aware that only about 7% of all violent crimes in Mexico even end in a conviction and jail time. And any potential witness are cowed in fear. And the police might be, too.

So, the odds of getting away with this are overwhelmingly in their favor.

Seriously, if an elderly lady driving a 22 year old truck is a potential target, who isn't? :?:

pacificobob - 1-15-2021 at 07:56 AM

i can image the scenario....except for the part where the bad guys choose to take her and leave cash behind. if the concern was her being a witness, they could silence her on site. bringing her along to do it elsewhere is certainly more effort. the previously mentioned kidnapping motive would the only reason i can come up with.
an elderly victim would certainly be less able to resist. i have this notion about kidnapping that as soon as the plan goes off the rails, its time to eliminate the victim. my most sincere sympathy to her family and friends.

mtgoat666 - 1-15-2021 at 08:10 AM

Kidnapping is common in Mexico (well, common is some parts of Mexico).
The apparent silence from family may indicate it was a kidnapping.

Since the locals and family apparently are not providing info,... seems to me some info is being held back.... so maybe it was kidnapping and currently unresolved?

pacificobob - 1-15-2021 at 12:30 PM

then again, the family's lack of comments might just be they don't want to partake in our silly speculation.

David K - 1-15-2021 at 12:53 PM

They are on Facebook, but only an aunt has posted to one of the many threads.
Basically, one of the two son's (I mentioned in the first post) came to me via email to help get the word out. More details were posted then, (such as the home condition) but after his speaking to the police, he asked that be removed.

David K - 1-17-2021 at 06:44 AM

Today is Mary Ann's birthday, age 74.

dboyd3852 - 1-18-2021 at 10:35 AM

I was just going to post it was her birthday yesterday. I always send her an e-card; something funny that I knew she'd like. Still can't believe this happened to one of my dearest friends who is also one of the sweetest people I've ever known! Happy birthday, wherever you are. Hope we find you soon. :(:(

24baja - 1-27-2021 at 04:59 PM

Bump up front, lets keep awarness going. I pray for and miss Mary Ann everyday, I cannot imagine Bahia de Los Angeles without her there.

white whale - 2-10-2021 at 07:04 PM

I haven't clicked in for a while, I over looked this last time obviously.
What a sad story, I kept hoping by page 7 some resolution must have occurred even if it was bad. After this amount of time the odds are very poor. I see comments about other outright murders here. In a town this small there must be a drug underbelly somewhere close.

I sure liked this place. I met a nice expat lady at the museum, not this lady but it seems like there is a significant community there, not just enjoying the lifestyle but being involving in making it better. Hopefully this case will be solved for the benefit for more than just her family. Normal times one of the US crime programs could put some pressure on officials in charge with a story like this.

advrider - 2-10-2021 at 08:49 PM

Hard to believe that the truck hasn't turned up? So sad that the family hasn't got any kind of closer.

white whale - 2-16-2021 at 12:14 PM

Still no update? Bringing to mind a story that the NYTimes just did on this lady. Miriam Rodríguez. The story is so compelling it got hollywood interest and a bidding war for the film rights. A female Charles Bronson type for those in the +50 age group, minus the vigilante killings.

G D! the mexican cartel members are cruel.

Can't think that this case is too far off from the business of cartel kidnapping in mexico.

More difficult to carry out on an expat, but if the bad guys can reach loved ones in CAN/USA its just like the phone scams of today.

One thing I did find odd, she lived full time in Mexico but still had cali vehicle plates. Is this normal or is an actual MEX license plate only for Mex citizens? Years ago I remember the stories of tourists in florida being targeted because the bad guys new the car was a rental. And they ended up changing the rules to make the cars less identifiable.

Hoping the family still can get closure and justice, soon.

AKgringo - 2-16-2021 at 12:24 PM

Quote "One thing I did find odd, she lived full time in Mexico but still had cali vehicle plates"

Her vehicle is too old to be legally imported to Mexico, so MX plates would not be an option. CA plates would still work if the registration is current.

JZ - 2-16-2021 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote "One thing I did find odd, she lived full time in Mexico but still had cali vehicle plates"

Her vehicle is too old to be legally imported to Mexico, so MX plates would not be an option. CA plates would still work if the registration is current.

It would have to be smogged. Not the easiest thing to do for an older vehicle. Can't have any codes going off.

BajaBlanca - 2-16-2021 at 04:36 PM

Nothing at all? Jeez, this is beyond sad and disturbing.

Hook - 2-16-2021 at 05:57 PM

Not uncommon for people to declare a vehicle non-operative, or simply out of the state's jurisdiction. It saves you the insurance requirement which, especially with an older vehicle, could be more expensive than the conventional registration.

David K - 2-17-2021 at 04:43 PM

No word from her son... I think he is disgusted with Mexican police as well as the locals who refuse to be interviewed (answer questions) to help solve the crime. Let's have some closure... poor Mary Ann did not deserve this.

She came north to the U.S. occasionally. So, the truck would need to remain registered and insured.

okiebaja - 2-22-2021 at 01:16 PM

Its expensive but there is a high resolution sat feed of the area on a daily basis. It would show a red pickup within 300 miles and its movement fairly easily.

JZ - 2-22-2021 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by okiebaja  
Its expensive but there is a high resolution sat feed of the area on a daily basis. It would show a red pickup within 300 miles and its movement fairly easily.

Hmm. How expensive is expensive?

Can you provide a link with more info?

[Edited on 2-22-2021 by JZ]

advrider - 2-22-2021 at 08:39 PM

I'm with JZ, more info please. I would be willing to put some money down if it might help? What company is it?

white whale - 2-23-2021 at 03:13 PM

I guess that would have to be a US military Sat. for daily images.
ZOOM Earth I think just uses NASA for their daily images but they are only going to show terrain and cloud cover. The high res ground shots are static, once every few years update.

Tech help is great but I think the best method to get closure on this is to get on the ground with boots and embarrass the police and gov't officials to get out and start turning over rocks. The expats, community leaders, and local citizens need to get the media in for a day and shut down the road with a protest.

American woman kidnapped, the other murders in this tiny town are headlines no official would want to be hounded over. Squeaky wheel? It's tough to ask people to give up their privacy and protest for someone. Is the single digit % conviction rate for murders in mexico because the perps are just to smart to be caught? Yes Mexico has its hands full with cartel murders but this is also business to them and business for BOLA and Baja. This won't make the LA or Miami TV news but maybe in Mexicali or Cabo it might and some governors desk who doesn't want to deal with bad press.

What an awful thing to deal with.

okiebaja - 2-24-2021 at 11:21 PM

Here is the info:

Thank you for contacting us through WWW.SOAR.EARTH.

Your query:
"How high resolution could you get of parts of Baja Peninsula, in this case looking for missing red truck (missing person) around certain dates. Desert country makes red stand out."

Reply:
We're sorry to hear about Mary Ann's disappearance.

Using a vehicle as the point of identification when looking for a lost person, especially when using satellite imagery is realistic way to approach this. Our imagery Skymap50 imagery is 50cm resolution which allows for the identification of objects the size of a vehicle or greater possible.

You can purchase historical and current satellite imagery directly from us & once purchased you can utilise the mapping utilities on Soar and share the image with anyone assisting you.

I suggest watching these two linked videos below so you can determine if the pricing is suitable for your requirements.

Do you need high resolution satellite photos? Here are two videos showing how you can purchase historical and current high resolution satellite photos from Soar.

If you would like to chat one on one, I can set up a Zoom call ASAP.

Thanks again for contacting us. I hope I have addressed your query and if you have any additional questions, please reply directly to this email.

Have an awesome day.
Darren Smith

JZ - 2-24-2021 at 11:29 PM

If that is legit, someone should setup a GoFundMe asap.

motoged - 2-25-2021 at 12:18 AM

"Do you need high resolution satellite photos? Here are two videos showing how you can purchase historical and current high resolution satellite photos from Soar."

Are those two video links mentioned in the Soar reply available for us to better understand process and cost structures ?

mtgoat666 - 2-25-2021 at 06:45 AM

If that is legit, someone should setup a GoFundMe asap.

Sounds like you bought into a sales pitch. But what dates/times/locations are the available imagery?

ehall - 2-25-2021 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Hard to believe that the truck hasn't turned up? So sad that the family hasn't got any kind of closer.

We see burned vehicles occasionally in the back country. Some you can't even tell what color they used to be.

okiebaja - 2-25-2021 at 03:47 PM

Added from email below. I have used similar services - for example if this occurred at 5am, and flyover was at 8am, then you can potentially look for vehicle movement within radius of 3 hours x 45mph or such then review pics. In this case you would use an archived flyover if it had resolution capable of reviewing items which they suggest is sufficient. Usually it tells you where an object might be located or heading (what direction). Then a 2nd image can confirm direction and new location. (Archive images).

Do you need high resolution satellite photos? Here are two videos showing how you can purchase historical and current high resolution satellite photos from Soar.

https://lt.apptivo.com/apptivo-message/elr//NDI1NjU2XzEyMzg5...

Good to see

advrider - 2-26-2021 at 04:08 PM

Hope this will help find Mary-ann?

Some info that I haven't seen as well.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2021/feb/26/mary-ann-hum...

[Edited on 2-26-2021 by advrider]

AKgringo - 2-26-2021 at 05:10 PM

I hope this helps to get this in front of a fresh set of eyes, it just might produce a lead.

Some may wonder about the statement that she goes to train on Tuesdays. I am pretty sure that refers to a game played with dominos.

David K - 2-26-2021 at 06:21 PM

In the Reader: https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2021/feb/26/mary-ann-hum...

Her sons are Mike Jr. and Kevin, not David and Kevin.

[Edited on 2-27-2021 by David K]

steekers - 2-26-2021 at 09:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by okiebaja  
Added from email below. I have used similar services - for example if this occurred at 5am, and flyover was at 8am, then you can potentially look for vehicle movement within radius of 3 hours x 45mph or such then review pics. In this case you would use an archived flyover if it had resolution capable of reviewing items which they suggest is sufficient. Usually it tells you where an object might be located or heading (what direction). Then a 2nd image can confirm direction and new location. (Archive images).

Tried it and got nothing!

I suggest a sweep of the area with some HiRes drones, using a SAR pattern approach.

[Edited on 2-27-2021 by steekers]

24baja - 2-26-2021 at 11:00 PM

I hope this helps to get this in front of a fresh set of eyes, it just might produce a lead.

Some may wonder about the statement that she goes to train on Tuesdays. I am pretty sure that refers to a game played with dominos.

Yes that is correct.

white whale - 2-27-2021 at 01:06 AM

Mary Ann Humfreville missing from Bahia de los Angeles for two months.
Kept her cash in cat box.

I understand journalists have to keep interest but the "cat box" seems unnecessary, as if it was partly her fault. If I was a resident I'd be ticked that the story paints an easy pickin's target in a place that is remote and unsecured. I know even a bullet in a foreigners pocket will send mexican police into seizures, apparently- at least that is what our governments tell us. In a country awash in guns no less. If I was permanent resident in Bola
I'd consider options.

Hopefully her demise was quick and her remains can be found.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Excellent movie. Something to consider.

mtgoat666 - 2-27-2021 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  
Mary Ann Humfreville missing from Bahia de los Angeles for two months.
Kept her cash in cat box.

I understand journalists have to keep interest but the "cat box" seems unnecessary, as if it was partly her fault. If I was a resident I'd be ticked that the story paints an easy pickin's target in a place that is remote and unsecured. I know even a bullet in a foreigners pocket will send mexican police into seizures, apparently- at least that is what our governments tell us. In a country awash in guns no less. If I was permanent resident in Bola
I'd consider options.

Hopefully her demise was quick and her remains can be found.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Excellent movie. Something to consider.

I appreciated the Reader article, the details really fleshed out the story.
Sad, sounds like she is gone, and the motive was perhaps just robbery.
Perhaps the reason they killed her is she recognized the robbers, or simply meth heads that acted impulsively....
I don’t understand why they would take her, unless they had plans for kidnapping/ransom demand.

Skipjack Joe - 2-27-2021 at 01:46 PM

Would finding the truck really help in finding her? Or finding her killer(s)? I think it's a long shot.

24baja - 3-7-2021 at 12:32 PM

Bumping to the top to keep Mary Ann in everyone's mind. Still nothing new.

BajaRat - 3-7-2021 at 05:37 PM

Sorry Connie,
Lionel : (

LancairDriver - 3-7-2021 at 07:19 PM

Would finding the truck really help in finding her? Or finding her killer(s)? I think it's a long shot.

IF....and that is a big if, Baja had good forensic investigators, finding the truck could be a big breakthrough. Probably they don’t have much of a DNA database to follow up on anything they could find. Since the odds of much happening with that the next move should be a healthy well advertised reward spread all over Baja.

2lazy2 - 3-7-2021 at 07:46 PM

The truck has probably been repainted with a roller and brush

motoged - 3-8-2021 at 02:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 2lazy2  
The truck has probably been repainted with a roller and brush

.... or parked in Bahia Tortugas ...

4baja - 3-17-2021 at 06:05 AM

a friend of mine in gonzaga bay had his place broken into 3 weeks ago. they stoled his honda generator and a polaris quad. they allso tried to still his boat with all his fishing gear in it that they took out of the garage but the tires were flat so they got bogged down in the soft sand and left it. the neighbor came out to see what the hell was going on and the bandito pointed a gun at him and told him to get back into his place or he would shoot him. the neighbor got on the radio and alerted the locals but by the time they arrived they were gone. it was 2 am in the mourning and they were driveing a black truck whith a red door. the military did not see them going north so they presumed they went towards highway 1.

advrider - 3-17-2021 at 07:53 AM

Isn't there a guard at the gate out front all of the time now? I'm assuming it's one of the houses on the way to Alfonsino's restaurant?

Pete69 - 3-17-2021 at 08:46 AM

Yes there is a guard at the gate, thieves came in from adjoining property west side and drove thru the fence and the same going out. Large boulders have been added all along the fence line now anywhere else there was access to the camp. Nothing to do with Alffies.

Paulina - 3-18-2021 at 06:55 PM

Mary Ann's son Kevin told me that her truck was found burned, ID'd by the VIN number. Still no word on Mary Ann.

P>*)))>{

Paulina - 3-18-2021 at 07:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Mary Ann's son Kevin told me that her truck was found burned, ID'd by the VIN number.

That's disturbing. :(

Are you able to tell us where?

I am assuming it is safe to share, because Kevin recently posted the following on a Talk Baja FB post:
"Her truck was recently found under the "puentes de las Víboras" bridge near Punta Prieta...The truck had been burned completely from my understanding, but we have verified that it is her truck."

JZ - 3-19-2021 at 08:07 AM

That isn't very far away. This is probably the saddest thing I remember happening in Baja. What could possibly been the motive. A relatively small amount of cash she had at home?

pacificobob - 3-19-2021 at 08:10 AM

sad indeed. the real facts may never be widely known, but dang, WTF could have been the motive?

azucena - 3-19-2021 at 04:10 PM

SO sad and I just feel for the family having no answers as to what possibly could have happened.

This is the second disappearence of an older woman in the last few years: The woman who was hiking near SF left her group with her dog,and never a trace.
Obviously , the circumstances are totally different, but the woman hiking likely ran into someones who did not want her around.

But MaryAnn , apparently was at home, and to us, looked like she would not have much worth robbing, to others maybe not.
Just tragic.

Skipjack Joe - 3-19-2021 at 05:15 PM

Mary Ann's son Kevin told me that her truck was found burned, ID'd by the VIN number. Still no word on Mary Ann.

P>*)))>{

The flame from the burning vehicle must’ve been visible. But, yes, they may never find her remains from clues. Unless those who know decide to confess it might be hard. Such a senseless death. I guess that’s what makes it so hard to accept.

woody with a view - 3-19-2021 at 07:54 PM

Like Igor sez, zero chance a passing vehicle didnt pass the truck burning itself out for what, three hours, until it stopped smoldering? How about the smoke wafting on the breeze into the houses? So much is not being said! When did the fire happen? When was it discovered? Is the truck that robbed the place in Gonzaga Bay with a red door part of this? Was her door not on the truck when it was found?
C’mon man! What’s really going on?

willardguy - 3-19-2021 at 08:00 PM

damn Woody we were thinking you were kidnapped!

mtgoat666 - 3-19-2021 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

Robbery, murder, by druggies.
Happens often in baja.
Sadly, meth heads are committing horrible crimes for just a hundred bucks or so... they don’t think these things out, the crimes often impulsive.

Burning car in the desert in the middle of the night. I would be very wary of approaching such a scene until daylight,... you never know what danger lurks with stoned meth heads potentially lingering...

Skipjack Joe - 3-19-2021 at 08:45 PM

But why would they burn the vehicle under the most traveled road in all of Baja? Off hand, that seems pretty dumb. Yet it must've happened. Nobody would tow a burnt vehicle there. You couldn't event tow it probably.The crime may be tied to someone who lives at Punta Prieta. I'm sure the cops interrogated the people in that small pueblo by now. Still, they could've burned it anywhere and should have but chose Punta Prieta. Someone there knows what happened.

AKgringo - 3-19-2021 at 09:00 PM

A red herring only works if it is found, so burning the truck in an obvious spot might be to get the police looking somewhere other than where they live. I am sure that the arsonist didn't flee the scene on foot!

JZ - 3-19-2021 at 09:51 PM

I am sure that the arsonist didn't flee the scene on foot!

This was my biggest thought after learning where the truck was found.

It means at least two ppl were involved, or at least 2 ppl know what happened. Two ppl can never keep a secret. We will find out what happened and they will be punished.

Her kids should setup a Gofund Me for a reward if they haven't already. I'd contribute for sure.

DK?

David K - 3-20-2021 at 07:22 AM

The Puente Las Viboras is midway between the L.A. Bay jcn. and Laguna Chapala, 5 KMS. north of El Crucero.

mtgoat666 - 3-20-2021 at 07:44 AM

The Puente Las Viboras is midway between the L.A. Bay jcn. and Laguna Chapala, 5 KMS. north of El Crucero.

The middle of nowhere

HeyMulegeScott - 3-20-2021 at 08:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

Robbery, murder, by druggies.
Happens often in baja.
Sadly, meth heads are committing horrible crimes for just a hundred bucks or so... they don’t think these things out, the crimes often impulsive.

Burning car in the desert in the middle of the night. I would be very wary of approaching such a scene until daylight,... you never know what danger lurks with stoned meth heads potentially lingering...

Happens in the US too. It's some bad sh*t.

Skipjack Joe - 3-20-2021 at 09:25 AM

The middle of nowhere

No, it's not in the middle of nowhere. It's under the busiest highway in Baja, the only major highway. Middle of nowhere is in the backcountry between BOLA and the paved highway. That's where it should've been dumped by anyone with brains. These guys did this by the seat of their pants. I agree with the 2 car scenario. Dump the body, burn the car and get the hell out of there. These guys were fleeing. Maybe,

mtgoat666 - 3-20-2021 at 09:39 AM

The middle of nowhere

No, it's not in the middle of nowhere. It's under the busiest highway in Baja, the only major highway.

Actually, not very busy hwy in that area. sometimes a vehicle may not pass by for 20 minutes or more.

At night, early morning, that stretch of hwy is very empty...

Skipjack Joe - 3-20-2021 at 11:04 AM

The middle of nowhere

No, it's not in the middle of nowhere. It's under the busiest highway in Baja, the only major highway.

Actually, not very busy hwy in that area. sometimes a vehicle may not pass by for 20 minutes or more.

At night, early morning, that stretch of hwy is very empty...

Is it emptier than any of the side roads they passed on the way from BOLA?

BajaNomad - 3-20-2021 at 11:23 AM

Dump the body...

You folks do realize that family members read this forum? This applies to more than just the comment quoted above.

"It is tact that is golden, not silence." - Samuel Butler

Just sayin'. :no:

[Edited on 3-20-2021 by BajaNomad]

BajaNomad - 3-20-2021 at 11:30 AM

"People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Theodore Roosevelt

"You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them or to them." - Malcolm Forbes

elgatoloco - 3-20-2021 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Dump the body...

You folks do realize that family members read this forum? This applies to more than just the comment quoted above.

X 1,000

Skipjack Joe - 3-20-2021 at 12:08 PM

Dump the body...

It's a murder case. Am I understand that no negative outcomes should be discussed? I can do that but it's not very realistic. If the relatives want us to discuss this with the expectation that this will have a positive ending I can do that. Although frankly I don't think there is much to say then.

willardguy - 3-20-2021 at 12:13 PM

Dump the body...

It's a murder case. Am I understand that no negative outcomes should be discussed? I can do that but it's not very realistic. If the relatives want us to discuss this with the expectation that this will have a positive ending I can do that. Although frankly I don't think there is much to say then.

missing person case.......

woody with a view - 3-20-2021 at 02:02 PM

Willard (and others) I stop by once a year to lurk. Thanks for the concern!

So much speculating yet no actual facts. When was the car discovered? Family holding back doesnt help the situation. It’s not like this case is front and center on the 24 hour cable news channels so a bit of info might jog someone’s recollection.

May god rest her soul!

David K - 3-20-2021 at 02:12 PM

The family, two sons and a sister, know less than those in Mexico. They are on Facebook but nothing more than what is in here.

The sad part, besides the actual kidnapping, is the sealed lips by the Bahía residents.

The rumor posted on a Facebook site about the truck being spray-painted black and seen in Vizcaino or Guerrero Negro may have been true?

RFClark - 3-21-2021 at 12:44 PM

Unless someone knows something specific, I would doubt the truck was burned under the bridge. The area around the HWY5/1 junction has a bad reputation locally for night time travel!

88C8776B-581F-4517-AB76-EA09BC416ED5.jpeg - 52kB

This picture is northbound on HWY 5 yesterday. It’s a guarded CFE convoy full of electrical wire and equipment. $$$!

There were armed guards!

motoged - 3-21-2021 at 01:11 PM

It isn't Kansas, Dorothy.

Seems like an uptick in Baja crime ....it's been a few years.

Crazy times.

Skipjack Joe - 3-21-2021 at 08:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Unless someone knows something specific, I would doubt the truck was burned under the bridge.

How else would it get there? If the truck is totally burned then so are the tires. You can't tow such a vehicle.

RFClark - 3-21-2021 at 08:45 PM

There certainly are a large number of panga trailers that a stripped burned truck chassis would fit on in LA Bay! So perhaps it was burned elsewhere!

[Edited on 3-22-2021 by RFClark]

mtgoat666 - 3-21-2021 at 08:50 PM

Unless someone knows something specific, I would doubt the truck was burned under the bridge.

Why would anyone move a truck after burning it?

You may be asking why would someone would burn it under a bridge? What you should be asking is why would someone not burn it under a bridge?

RFClark - 3-21-2021 at 08:55 PM

Perhaps for the same reason killers dump bodies many miles away from the place the did the killing. To shift the blame elsewhere.

RFClark - 3-21-2021 at 08:57 PM

In LA it’s common for vehicles to be stripped in one area and dumped in another!

Skipjack Joe - 3-22-2021 at 01:10 AM

Perhaps for the same reason killers dump bodies many miles away from the place the did the killing. To shift the blame elsewhere.

Please read Doug's post above.

cactuspete1970 - 5-27-2021 at 11:45 AM

Any updates?

David K - 5-27-2021 at 11:51 AM

None I have seen.
A horrible thing to happen to a totally harmless, kind woman. Sad that there is no closure for her family.

lizard lips - 5-28-2021 at 12:52 PM

I am working on a missing persons case (American Woman) in Puerto Vallarta and this case has absolutely nothing to do with Ann missing other than after a year she is still gone.

This woman in PV met a much younger man who offered to be a caretaker to her very nice b&b which he did but he slowly took over everything and did it in a manner where he became abusive to the woman. Physically abusive!

The ministerio is aware of all he did and they conducted their own investigation but still nothing.....I am convinced he murdered her. There is so much more to the story that would definitely convince you as well. This guy is guilty and needs to be imprisoned. Look it up in any PV website.

I told the family in the US that now we are at a point in the investigation where news outlets such as Dateline, 20 20, etc. need to be aware of this and do a show right now before the vacation season is here-This will kick Mexico City in the ass and heads will roll in with the authorities in PV. It always happens especially when tourist dollars come into play.

Someone from Anns family or friends who are helping with her recovery need to contact these news outlets as well and what would be better than to have both missing persons highlighted on a such a program?

Just to let you know I never charged a dime to the family for my input or work I have done. They have already put out a lot of cash for Mexican attorneys that the Ministerio Publico told them they needed to hire and actually did nothing.

f anyone knows who may be helping with Anns disappearance to contact me and just maybe we can get some qualified people to get some answers.

Bajabus - 5-28-2021 at 01:02 PM

LL, Thank you for what you are doing pro bono. Scum like this needs to know we are all watching and their free days on this planet are numbered. God speed to your efforts.

advrider - 5-28-2021 at 02:33 PM

Don't know if it would help but what about setting up a fund to offer a reward for info leading to an arrest? I would be glad to put some money up to help. I would think that might loosen some lips, people always talk and druggies always need money.
 Pages:  1  2